Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Default I got a wake-up call

My oldest daughter, 12, came into the bathroom where I was and got on the scales. She weighs 163 pounds at 5'6". My heart is breaking. And, my husband is at his highest weight ever and my youngest daughter, 9, is starting to gain a lot of weight and I've started gaining again.

I remember back in 2007...I lost 30 pounds, my husband was losing, my oldest was losing and my youngest was a fit slender little thing. I was so proud and happy at the changes I was making for both myself and my family. Now, I'm just sick at heart from all of the time I've wasted. I've never been the cook of the family, but I have no choice but to take charge of this situation and do what I can. I must remove the junk from the house again and quit bringing more in. I must make some changes for the future of my family and myself. I'm feeling very overwhelmed, but I have a resolve that I've not had in a long long time.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 12-17-2008 at 11:27 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #2  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

You know what you need to do. You are going to do it. I know I would be heartbroken too, mainly because of my feelings about my mom and my own weight issues, but I am glad that you have the awareness to see what is happening and change it now. ~ my totally unsolicited advice- have a long talk with your DH about this, how it isn't just about you two and your weight issues any more. Maybe you can come up with a plan together.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Kids can surprise you. I never thought my ds12 would like eating healthy, but he actually prefers it now over any kind of junk food. Once your taste buds get over the change and the carb cravings are gone, it's a whole new world, and stuff like McDs or frozen hot pockets just tastes gross, even to a kid. It helps, I think, to involve the kids in selecting good fruits, veggies and lean meats/fish for the menu, so they can have some of their favorites in there, while still eating healthy meals and snacks.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #4  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

You are taking a "negative" and turning it into a "positive in the form of a great motivator. That right there says so much about where you are mentally and in terms of your willpower and focus; you realize that it just isn't about you anymore.

You're strong, Rhonda. Take it one little step at a time, try not to get overwhelmed, and I know you can handle anything you put your mind to.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

One of my big motivators is knowing that I'm showing my kids that it is possible to lose the weight. I felt that I couldn't lose it for many years because my mom never did. I don't want to pass that negative thinking on to my kids. I want them to look at me and know that I did it and they can too. I can't control what they put in their mouth always, especially the older one, but I can set a good example. It's great that you want to help your kids Rhonda, it's one of the best things you can do for them. It's easier when they are young. My oldest is working and has his own money to buy the junk himself.
My youngest has lost down to a healthy weight just by my cooking better and bringing healthier snacks into the house. He exercises with me too. He doesn't always like it when we start, but usually when we are done he's laughing and having a good time. I made a one a day rule for a lot of the snack type stuff that I buy. I get skinny cow ice cream and part skim mozzarella sticks, things that they like. They know they can only have one a day. That helps limit their intake and helps the grocery bill too.
I know how you feel, I felt the same awful feeling with my kids. I still do with the older one. I wish I had taught them better from the time they were small. It's better now than never, though.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #6  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Rhonda--Ok, lots of people (myself included) have had their moment that really sparks them. This is yours. I know you can do this, for you and for your family. It won't be easy, but nothing worth it ever is. Remember how much fun you had as a family trying different veggies? Maybe that would help. Do your kids help w/ cooking? Maybe including them in some of the food prep?

We are here for support and I know you will do this.

Sara--great to see you!!!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Rhonda...we can sometimes do for our kids what we can't do for ourselves, parenthood is amazing that way.

Right now you need to eat healthy for those kids. You need to take care of yourself as you take care of them. All the good intentions in the world can't replace the model you provide.

Your wake up call has come early enough to protect your children. Stick with it girl, you can do this!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Rhonda, you can do it. Why not enlist your family to help cook and learn healthy eating techniques at the same time?

Don't tell them it's healthy outright, but they will learn by watching what you do.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

I have tried to set a better example for my kids than my mom did for me. While I have always had a very good, very close relationship with my mom, she was (and to some extent still is...) the ultimate example of yo-yo dieter, and she was always going between suggesting crazy 800 calorie a day diets to my sisters and me and then feeding us chocolate.

Just bring the healthy food into the house and work together as a family to change the direction you have been going. While I have always been pretty careful, I am trying to be even more careful, and, besides the weight loss in my husband and myself, I have noted my kids behavior mellowing out without the sugar and simple carbs.

Good luck...you can do this for yourself and your family.

Last edited by Schumeany; 12-18-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #10  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Rhonda, that had to really hurt.....but use it as a springboard to get the whole house back on track! Everyone from the hubby to the kids to the pets! LOL

With everyone working together, you'll all be fit in no time!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

You can do this. Kids are a fabulous motivator. Sometimes we're willing to do for them what we don't do for ourselves. Whatever gets you started, right? In the end, you'll benefit just as much
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #12  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

You have to take control to get your family healthy. You need to be a good role model for your kids. But with that said. I worry about your daughters dieting so young and worrying about their weight at 12 and 9. yes they need to be and eat healthy but it can also lead to eating disorders. please just be careful
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
My oldest daughter, 12, came into the bathroom where I was and got on the scales. She weighs 163 pounds at 5'6". My heart is breaking. And, my husband is at his highest weight ever and my youngest daughter, 9, is starting to gain a lot of weight and I've started gaining again.

I remember back in 2007...I lost 30 pounds, my husband was losing, my oldest was losing and my youngest was a fit slender little thing. I was so proud and happy at the changes I was making for both myself and my family. Now, I'm just sick at heart from all of the time I've wasted. I've never been the cook of the family, but I have no choice but to take charge of this situation and do what I can. I must remove the junk from the house again and quit bringing more in. I must make some changes for the future of my family and myself. I'm feeling very overwhelmed, but I have a resolve that I've not had in a long long time.

Rhonda, it is NEVER to late to make a change. You children are still quite young and heck, so are you. Children are very adaptable. And when you get into this, get really determined and focused and excited about all the phenomenal changes you are about to make, you will be surprised at just how adaptable you are as well.

I wish you all the best as you embark on the journey of better health for you and your entire family. What a wonderful holiday gift this would be for all of you. I mean really, what could be better then the gift of good healthy?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #14  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek6 View Post
But with that said. I worry about your daughters dieting so young and worrying about their weight at 12 and 9.
No, no! I would never put a child on a diet. My youngest has no clue that she is gaining quite a bit of weight, however, my oldest is at an age when she does realize that she is heavier than her friends and her clothes are getting tighter. She has many of my habits of using food to soothe her emotions and eating when she is not hungry. I would much rather help her to learn the right way of handling these emotions as I believe that being obese is every bit as dangerous as developing an eating disorder. My goal is to get her to the point where she is active every day and her diet is full of nutritious balanced foods. Eating healthy and becoming active will naturally lead to weight loss for her. At her age, this is pretty much 100% a given.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 12-18-2008 at 04:07 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
My goal is to get her to the point where she is active every day and her diet is full of nutritious balanced foods. Eating healthy and becoming active will naturally lead to weight loss for her. At her age, this is pretty much 100% a given.
Sounds like some pretty fabulous goals. She's lucky to have a mom like you who recognizes that a change needs to made and one who is willing to do so in such a positive manner.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote