General chatter - Meet "Christmas" my new little baby!!!

tamaralynn
12-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I know I posted this is pudgy pets, but I JUST HAD TO SHARE!!!

I have 4 cockatiels and 2 budgies at home. Two cockatiels like to just do the nasty... with nothing else to do. My other two Stewie and Lani finally did the "deed" about a month ago.

Well, I've been watching their eggs and candling them every once in a while... waiting and hoping they will hatch.

I came home today, sat on my couch to take a load off and I heard this tiny little "peep peep" coming from their cage.

Both momma and pappa were there... so I took a peek and saw an empty egg.

When I reached in, Lani moved aside and let me see....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/tamaralynn24/DSCF1959.jpg

Lani was good with me holding it... the proud parents are taking turns eating up a storm now hehehe

I'm naming the baby "Christmas"

Momma feeding Christmas and daddy proudly smiling... don't mind the mess... lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/tamaralynn24/DSCF1962.jpg

bargoo
12-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Great pictures!

luvja
12-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Awwwww, That baby birdie is soooooo cute.

recidivist
12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I had a baby lovebird born on New Year's Eve, and I named it Confetti. The parents are so much fun to watch. Congratulations!

Quiet Ballerina
12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
So cute! It really does look like the papa is smiling at the camera!

Ookpik
12-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Awesome! So cute!

EZMONEY
12-16-2008, 09:55 PM
That is tiny!

happy2bme
12-17-2008, 12:18 AM
That's so cute. Please post pictures as the baby grows!

kelly315
12-17-2008, 12:28 AM
aww, that's so cool.

Shopaholic1204
12-17-2008, 02:51 AM
omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tamaralynn
12-17-2008, 07:50 AM
there are a couple of more pics under my post in pudgy pets

Slashnl
12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Very cute! I have some doves that have laid eggs before, but then they abandon them. Right now they have 2 new eggs and she seems to be staying with them this time. Maybe I'll get a little surprise some day! Thanks for sharing!

mayness
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Awwww, so cute!!!

I love babies. :) Birds, kittens, puppies, humans, they're all cute.

I used to have fish that spawned a lot... and they were cute parents when they were laying the eggs, but then when they hatched they would eat them. Not so cute, lol. I usually saved and raised a few each time.

Tomato
12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Congrats on your new baby!

GatorgalstuckinGA
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
they are so cute as baby's even without the feathers. Very cute!

tamaralynn
12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
I see a pip in another egg... one is going to hatch within the next hour or so :D

kittycat40
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, does having successful hatching mean the birds are really comfortable in your care? The whole thing is pretty neat.

To be honest, I had to read your text before I was able to determine WHAT your new baby was :)

very cool. thanks for posting.

tamaralynn
12-19-2008, 08:38 AM
It hasn't hatched yet, so I put a bath in with momma so she can take a dip and sit on her eggs again... it's pretty dry in my house - so the bath should help soften up the shell a bit for the baby :)

I'm hoping to see a new baby when I get home from work.

My boss is totally psyched! I promised her that if I have more than one chick, she can have one when it's old enough.

To be honest, I had to read your text before I was able to determine WHAT your new baby was :)
hehe, I guess it's a way to get someone to read it then ;)

Wow, does having successful hatching mean the birds are really comfortable in your care?
I never thought of that... I guess so, since I don't use a nesting box, and they're both perfectly comfortable with me handling the baby and eggs. I'm candling the eggs daily to see how everything is progressing in the shell. All eggs seem to be doing well. No blood rings (indicating death inside) and they both have good sized air sacs to assure that the baby has some healthy air prior to their hatching.

Interesting note: I was worried that the babies were dead in the other eggs... so I talked to a vet. She told me that as long as the mommy bird is still sitting on the eggs... they're fine. The parents can hear their chirps inside the eggs, and will only push away an egg if the chirps stop (chick dies). She was the one that told me that I should put a bath in their cage, so that way Lani can take a bath and sit back on the eggs. The moisture will help soften the shell so the babies have an easier time hatching.

kittycat40
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I wish I could come over and see! That's just sooo neat :)

tamaralynn
12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
*sigh* still no more babies yet.... I'm praying they'll survive

tamaralynn
12-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Well... it's time.

The next egg is "peeping" and a baby is slowly starting to tap away from the inside of the egg :)

Will post pictures when it's fully hatched.

In the meantime, here is a youtube video of "Christmas" being fed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjaJQUuUAds

tamaralynn
12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Baby #2 hatched this morning with some assistance. The membrane in the egg had dried up preventing baby from hatching.

:)