Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thn4Life - Wk of Dec. 15, 2008

Good morning!

I'm back at work and so far so good. My left hand is still a little numb but that should get better as the swelling goes down. It's still pretty tender too. I'm just glad the surgeries are behind me now!

I have so much to get done for Christmas--I've gotten a couple of gifts but need to get a few more and then get some baking/decorating done. I've been out of the loop with the surgeries.

It's warm here this morning (54) but the temps are supposed to drop down to the 30's by tonight. It was pouring this morning when I came into work this morning. It certainly doesn't "feel" like Christmas with the temps so warm.

I'll catch up more later!
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Melissa - I hear you on getting things done before the holidays! I still have 5 fleece blankets, 2 stuffed snowmen, and 2 candle sets to make. Along with 6 loaves of bread, 4 batches of cookies, and 2 batches of fudge. but I can't start the food until Monday! I want to make sure it lasts.

Lisa - I decided, since I didn't get ANY crafting done this weekend, that I am going with pre-mixed breads. I bought the Pillsbury quickbreads. I really wanted to do them from scratch but it really is so much more time consuming and I lost so much time this weekend!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

Melissa, Hooray that you're back to work. I hope the hand continues to improve. I thought your area was getting lots of snow; hmmm perhaps it was more north of you.

Lori, Actually, the quick breads are not bad and that will give you time to do your other things. Do you make your gifts every year?

Ladies, went to WI on Saturday and was down .5# The way I've been, I'll take it!
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #4  

Lisa: Congrats on the loss!! I'd take anything I could get too with all the holiday gatherings, etc. going on. The snow has missed us the last couple of time and hit more in the New York area. We're supposed to get a messy mix late tonight and tomorrow morning.

Lori: Anything homebaked is good...I wouldn't worry about using a mix. Maybe you could add something to them like nuts, or something. They usually have ideas on the box.

Pam: Did your area get hit with the ice storm? I've seen the pictures of NH and even though the ice looks beautiful it has caused so much damage.

I can't believe Christmas is next week--so much to do and so little time! I did manage to go through some papers/magazines last night. I figure if I tackle something each night I'll get things done. I did buy the cereal for the Chex mix. My boys are bugging me about making it and I'm putting it off until the last minute because I know it's a trigger for me.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #5  

It wouldn't surprise me if Pam got hit really hard and still didn't have electricity, since if I remember correctly she lives in western Mass. They were the hardest hit. I have a friend in NH who still doesn't have electricity and since she has a well with an electric pump is without running water as well. They have a stream in their back yard and have apparently been using the water from it to flush their toilets. They are lucky though that they have a wood stove so at least they have heat.

Its snowing here this morning. Big flakes! I have an appointment with my hematologist/oncologist in 2 hours, so I hope the roads stay OK. I have my next remission test Thursday and hopefully will have the results before Christmas. I can't believe I am halfway through the pregnancy!

Lisa - I've made gifts the past couple of years. I have always baked breads and cookies though at Christmas time. My mom always did when we were younger and she taught me how to make all the favorites.

Melissa - I know what you mean. I still have a couple of things to buy to make gifts and a bunch of things left to make! I made one of my blankets last night and a stuffed snowman. 3 blankets and 1 snowman left, along with 2 candle sets.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #6  

Hi Ladies,

Sounds like you're all very busy getting ready for the big day. I've got most of my shopping done just a few gift cards left to purchase this weekend. Hopefully gift wrapping will also get done this weekend too. Monday or Tuesday I'll get to the grocery store and pick up everything I need for Christmas dinner and that should be it.
The weather here has been very strange. Yesterday the temp was close to 60 tonight we're expecting snow. I was VERY fortunate that my town didn't get hit with that awful ice storm last week. If you picture a horseshoe my area is in the middle and all the areas around it got hit. I think many towns in the Berkshires are still without power. I can't even imagine what that's like for such a long period of time in this weather.

Melissa glad to hear you're back to work and feeling well. Your weather sounds as crazy as ours. I made that shrimp dip recipe you gave me a few years ago. Brought it to a party Saturday night and it was a big success. It's so easy to make and I love it!

Lisa I also made your Forgotten Cookies this weekend too. Actually Lauren made them they are her favorites. I'm not much of a baker, I made a few peanut butter blossoms and plan on making a few sugar cookies this coming weekend and that will be it. Congrats on the loss at this time of year any loss is good! Hope I'm as lucky when I weigh in this Friday.

Lori It's hard to believe you're already half way through your pregnancy. Time does go by very quickly, before you know it you'll be holding your baby! Hope all went well at your oncologist appt today.

Well ladies maybe I'll start a little gift wrapping now instead of putting it off to the weekend. Hope you all had a nice Tuesday. Talk to you tomorrow.
McHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #7  

Pam: Glad to hear you didn't get hit with the storm. The same type of thing has happened with us--everyone around our area gets hit but we get spared. We had snow/ice last night--the side roads were icy this morning but the main ones were just wet. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice again. I love the shrimp dip...it's so easy to make and it's usually a hit.

I'm slowly getting things together although I'll kicking things into high gear over the next few days. I've had a really hard time getting into the holiday spirit.

My dad is doing okay--I talked with the nursing home last night and he has a mild case of pneumonia and they're giving him antibiotics. He won't be coming home for Christmas because he's still having problems with his balance and the last thing he/we need is for him to fall and get hurt.

I've still got 5 vacation days to use and am contemplating taking off tomorrow and Friday and possibly Monday. That would give me time to get things organized and ready. Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #8  

I was down .4 at my WI today!! Whoohoo! Not bad considering my last weigh in was on November 5th!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #9  

Pam, So glad you were spared that storm. It looks so bad. I know what it is like when there is no power for a week or so (hurricanes), but we don't freeze. So glad your daughter likes the forgotten cookies. I'll make more of them tonight after my gingerbread men.

Lori, I, too, cannot believe you are half-way through your pregnancy. You must be getting so excited. Went to a birthday party last week and two ladies there were expecting (one in a couple weeks and she was ready). I think it's great that you make your gifts.

Melissa, You rock! You have really done well. With those surgeries and sitting at home, I can't believe that you managed to lose. That's terrific. I would have a hard time getting into the holiday spirit, too, if my father could not be home for Christmas. He is in my prayers.

Well, tonight I'm actually at home, so that's why I'm baking. I've had rehearsals and other activities. This weekend will be full of parties. Christmas will be here before we know it.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies! Today is my department's holiday party (pot luck) and tomorrow is our division holiday party where all the managers buy us pizza. Yum!

I just found out that my SIL, who lives in NH, still does not have power. She is lucky that she has a wood stove and running water. My friend who lives in another part of NH still has no power or running water (but luckily has her wood stove). She said that they don't expect power back before Christmas AND that she doesn't think the electric company is working "around the clock" to try to get power back in the region Sounds like they are having it pretty rough. She has to go to Walmart every day after work to buy ice (to keep the little food that they have that is still good cold) and water, and they have been eating store bought food or things like subs, pizza, etc for over a week now.

Pam - So glad to hear you were spared the storm! We had some higher temp days down here as well. Tomorrow it looks like we should be expecting a lot of snow (yay!) but DH is worried about me because he has Fridays off now (since his hours got cut back) and I will have to drive to and from work alone.

Lisa - I like giving the homemade gifts. I think now that everyone is older, they appreciate it more. its just a LOT more work than going and buying something though! I'm stressing out about getting everything finished in time.

Melissa - Congrats on the loss! Glad to hear your dad is ok, but I'm sorry to hear he won't be able to join you at Christmas. Will you go visit him? My mom is going to take my grandfather out of the nursing home for the day on Christmas. She tested the waters with that on Thanksgiving and it went well. He has Parkinson's and cannot walk anymore. He also doesn't really recognize any of us, and his memory is limited to when he was much much younger. His sister was like that before she passed. She had dementia, and would always talk about when she was in her 20's and younger.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #11  

[B]Lori,[B] Yes, the food is all over at my workplace, too. Ugh! I just have to eat it all. We had our department luncheon today and I made some wise choices and then ate a piece of pecan pie! I think it's great that you make the gifts--I'm impressed. No one would want what I could make unless I baked it. Your poor relatives in NH. That is just horrible. Their Christmas will be strained. We never lost power for that long here. 6 days was the max and that was bad. We lost all of our food and eating out all the time was not an option because the restaurants were not open.

Tomorrow's my Friday off, so I won't be posting much.

I'm having friends for dinner tomorrow. I'm making something I've never made--brisket of beef--the photo in my cookbook looked so pretty. I hope it turns out all right.

The rest of the weekend is parties! It should be fun. One is all of my theater friends. We all sing carols and have a blast.