Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Default Apple cider vinegar

Anybody trying this? My friend who is a walking encyclopedia of homeopathic remedies claims that the stuff will boost up my metabolism to burn more fat. Also he claims it will lower my blood pressure of which mine is high but under control with meds.

I have been researching online the benefits and drawbacks of taking in the stuff. I have Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, supposed to be the good stuff with "mother" in it.

I have been reading conflicting articles with favorable article slightly outweighing the unfavorable.

According to the proponents of it they claim (and there have been studies done for real) that apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight, lower BP, kill bacteria in your gut and many other things but weight loss (through boosting your metabolism) and lowering my BP is what I am most interested in.

The opponents of it claim the studies were not big enough and it can damage the enamel of your teeth and irritate your stomach and esophagus if taken pure.

I tried two tbspns of it in a 8oz glass of cold water this morning and it tasted pretty good if not a tad bit tart.

Has anybody tried it? Preferably long term and can speak about the benefits or no benefit of apple cider vinegar?

Even short term I'd bee interested in hearing of your experience and opinion.

Last edited by flatiron; 12-14-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: can't spel! lol!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #2  
it's always something

I don't have the details handy at the moment, but I recently read that studies have shown this to be a myth because as the body (stomach acids) digests the vinegar that the benefit is lost.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

it is def. good to help detox...it cleans out the system (you'll pee a lot). i make a "tonic" with the apple cider vinegar, and raw honey. the raw honey has natural probiotics that help boost your immune system, and help you get over a cold faster. for me it is good, but i don't know about the metabolism...however the "detox" part could help with that.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
I have been researching online the benefits and drawbacks of taking in the stuff. I have Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, supposed to be the good stuff with "mother" in it.
With "mother" in it? What does that mean?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Mother is starter for vinegar. It's a thick, sort of gelatinous mixture that helps start the fermentation process for vinegar. Kinda like the starter for sourdough bread.

Most commercial vinegars have been pasturized or processed and you don't get the mother. If you buy organic or homemade or farm made vinegars, you'll often get a clump of "mother" in the bottom of the jar.

But to the point - as Suzanne said, the whole vinegar diet thing doesn't work becuase your stomach acids neutralize the vinegar.

And there's no need to "detox" your body - with vinegar or anything else. Your body is designed to "detox" itself. Eat healthy foods, drink water, and you'll be perfectly "detoxed".

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-14-2008 at 07:25 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
But to the point - as Suzanne said, the whole vinegar diet thing doesn't work becuase your stomach acids neutralize the vinegar. .
Anybody wanna buy a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar? It only has 2 tablespoons of cider missing from it! LOL!

seriously! what am I gonna do with it if it doesn't work?

Can I mix it with a little olive oil and use it on a salad?

I'm telling you tastes kinda good in small diluted amounts! I think the bottle is more than a quart, that'll last me a LONG time!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #7  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
seriously! what am I gonna do with it if it doesn't work?
Well, I use very diluted apple cider vinegar on my hair a few times a week. It makes is super shiny and gets rid of the frizz.

It also takes the soap scum off the tub really well.

I just wish it smelled better.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #8  
it's always something

Enjoy vinegar for the flavor and make salad and deviled eggs
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

It works to remove dry skin as well. A bath with some vinegar will help smooth your skin and get rid of flakes.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Uses and Tips for Vinegar
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have apple cider vinegar but because I use it for recipes. Vinegar is also excellent at cleaning which is probably why the old wives tale of using it to clean your insides...
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #12  
Empress/Queen

I've been using apple cider vinegar for years whenever I don't feel well and while I personally don't feel it's a weight loss help in any way, it does seem to have a number of helpful properties in regard to health. I started using it as a child because my grandmother did and it's been in my cabinet ever since.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Be careful trying to force too much vinegar into your system for a long time. I've heard that it will prevent your body from absorbing calcium- the last thing on earth we ladies need!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Forgot to mention that I agree with the poster who says apple cider vinegar tastes good. I love it, but probably because I've been drinking it and using it in food since childhood.

I don't like white vinegar as much but white vinegar is the stuff you want to clean with and I like the way it makes the house smell, but then I'm a vinegar fan.

Balsamic vinegar is also wonderful as a cooking additive or in salads.

Edited in: Also forgot to mention that, yes, I mix it in water, and that I do not drink it all the time, just when I feel it will be of benefit, plus I do not claim any benefits from it for others nor say that it will not be of harm, t'is just that for me, I find it a beneficial "remedy" to have around, much like aspirin.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 12-16-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I've been using it at the advice of my naturopath. I found that right away I felt like it curbed my appetite, but that was only for a few days and I don't really notice that anymore. I've only been taking it for 2 weeks now.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote