Weight Loss Surgery - I am home- YAY!!

View Full Version : I am home- YAY!!

chunky1
12-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, I had surgery Tuesday morning- everything went well and I got to come home yesterday. I am amazed the pain is so much more minimal than I thought it would be. I am still taking my pain meds though since my Dr. said it helps with healing to go ahead and take them even if I don't feel the need. I haven't been taking them every 4 hours, but maybe 3 times total in the last 24 hrs.

As usual I have questions:p and would love to hear some personal experience feedback??? I had surgery Tuesday AM and it is now Noon on Friday- I have not had a bowel movement. My Dr. said not to worry, but that if I still haven't had one by tomorrow then he may give me something to make me go. I really don't want to go that route. I am concerned because there were two other bypass patients on the same floor as me and both of them had had BMs- more than once even -while in the hospital. I took a chewable gas X last night and finally did relieve a little gas this morning. I think the pains that I do feel are more gas related than anything else. My stomach is hard as a rock. I have done quite a lot of walking. It feels good to get up and move around, but still no relief from the pressure.
I was to start back on my protien powder today, but I can't seem to get enough down. I tried mixing it with some broth, but with no more broth than I can eat at one time that one serving of unflavored protien powder made my broth the consistency of ready mix concrete(I agree it shoudl have occurred to me that trying to eat it that way was not a good plan:0) I am doing good just to get my water in. I don't start my vitamins and such back up until Monday.

I am allowed clear and full liquids. Any suggestions what might help produce a BM instead of going to desperate measures that the Dr. may ask of me??? :?:

Also, very curious- how do you make a ticker? Everyone has such neat little pictures and stuff by their names and I can't seem to figure it out!! I want to join the fun.

Congrats Lipgloss and Merry Terry. It is exciting that we have all had our surgeries so closely together!!

Happy holidays to everyone- I truly LOVE my "fatchick" family :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot:

Leenie
12-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Welcome Home !!! :hug: I'm so happy everything went well.

As far as the BM questions, you'll have to wait for one of the GBP chickies.... sorry :(

Rest up !!! and get lots of fluids.

:hug:

jiffypop
12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
ok. here comes the gross Q. are you farting? if you are, then just be patient - the rest will come. if you're NOT, well, um. keep in touch with your doc. keep trying with the protein powder - even mixing the equivalent of 5-10 grams in a small amount of water/milk will help [there's no point in mixing a full serving with a tiny amount of water - you saw what can happen!!!!!]. what's with the broth? in general hot water isn't good for protein powders, but some mfgs may have changed their formulations.

so glad you're doing well!!!!!! keep us posted!

kelly315
12-12-2008, 03:23 PM
glad to hear the surgery went well, and I hope you have a quick recovery and lots of success!

Lipgloss
12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey welcome Home and well done!!!
So nice to hear you had no problems
Here to us!! Yay!!!!

missangelaks
12-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I had the constipation too! It's very uncomfortable. I was told it could be a reaction to the General and anytime you mess with the digestive tract, it takes time to recover from it. Wait it out, put Beneifiber in your shakes (better to make up the shake by the recipe and then sip it over a long period of time by the way...keep it in the fridge between sips.) In the end (no pun intended! LOL) I had to do an enima. Sorry to say butt...hehe...by the time I did it, I was READY!!! The Gas and pressure is normal, the surgeon puts air in the ab cavity to see what they are doing and like I said, messing with the intestines...it will metabolize over the next week or so.

Now for the tickers....at the top of the page here, you have a place that says "private messages"...click on that...then look for "edit signature"...click on that...then hover over the example ticker and click...then just follow the directions and save it!

Good luck honey...no worries, it's all good! :hug:

Angela

chunky1
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Well to be blunt- I have finally passed a little gas, but all the rumblings within lead me to believe that there is much much more that would like to be released!! I am continually feeling better.
Thanks for the advise on the protien powder- I never thought to just mix a small amount in with my applesauce or yogurt. That was super helpful.
thanks for all the support- and I love my new ticker. It is my new best friend :) Thanks!!!!!

nanj
12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
If you are taking the pain pills they do help with the pain, but these also slow down your bowels. I think the reason most doctors push taking the pain pills is so that we will get up and move if you are in less pain. I always take a stool softner, if I'm on a narc for very long because I'm old and sluggish down SOUTH!
Do what your doctor tells you. But, I'm of a mind that if you don't need them don't take them. IMOP!

worthylady
12-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Are you getting enough water in? I had surgery on the December 11th, but let me tell you staying hydrated has helped me with the BM. Also, if you can use the Gas X strips to help relieve some of the gas pressure,

plaidkitty
12-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Poor thing! I hope it passes (no pun intended) quickly.

MissusO
12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Welcome home! And so it begins! The discomfort passes quickly and all the sudden you're tryin' to keep your pants up! lol