Exercise! - Cool Runners -- December Thread!

View Full Version : Cool Runners -- December Thread!

MBN
12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
It's already Dec 10 ... I know it's cold in most parts, but surely there's some running goin' on?

I did a fun Jingle Bell Jog 5K over the weekend and am now prepping for a half marathon on Sunday. This is the best running time in my neck of the woods!

Anyone ... anyone ... Buehler?

neeka
12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow - half a marathon?! Impressive.
I went for a very cold but beautiful 3 mile run today and it felt surprisingly good. Don't forget your gloves though!

kittycat40
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Wow - half a marathon?! Impressive.
I went for a very cold but beautiful 3 mile run today and it felt surprisingly good. Don't forget your gloves though!

and your thick:p socks!

JamieJo
12-10-2008, 11:35 AM
No outside running for me in Wisconsin. 10 below this morning. BURRRR!!

I like my basement! :) Nice warm treadmil action for me!

JackieRn
12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Running about 20 mpw trying to build up, the weather has been pretty decent. I haven't really had to change my schedule at all.

nelie
12-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Per my last message in the November thread, I'm out of commission :( I'm hoping to start the elliptical soon, maybe doing some deep water running.

kittycat40
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
sorry to hear that Nelie! what's goin' on? wait, no need to be redundant I'll check out the nov thread...

MBN
12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
and your thick:p socks!

Don't need no cold weather clothes -- it is forecast to be in the mid-60's for Sunday morning's race. This is when it pays to live in South Florida ... it's 80 degrees out right now! I know I shouldn't gloat, but hey, I grew up in the Midwest and moved to Florida 24 years ago -- on purpose!!! :p

Of course, in the summer time I'm running in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity .... So I'm really enjoying this right now. Perfect!

cakses
12-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I am still around. Work has been cutting into my running time, but I have been doing consistent 2 mile runs a few times a week. I am thinking about applying for the police force in 2009 (spring most likely) and I have to get my runs down to a very quick time (1.5 miles in 13 minutes I believe) so I will be working on speed starting in January.

JackieRn
12-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I had a bad day and to cap it off the scale hasn't moved in a while. I was contemplating giving up and gorging myself on chocolate ( a total departure from the clean eating plan I've been following) when all of a sudden I decided to run instead. I've already done my 20 miles this week which is typical for me in the winter but was feeling like it would be better for me to just get out there So I made a mellow music playlist on my Ipod of just five songs and went out and did a quick 2.2 miles. I've never done this before, exercised my way through stress and not only that but running. It was so refreshing. I have decided that in addition to my long run, recovery run, speed intervals, and hill repeats, I'm going to add the mellow run.

cakses
12-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Awesome JackieRN! Exercise is a WAY better stress reducer! I find I crave running more than I do junk food these days.

JulieJ08
12-13-2008, 12:25 AM
I've had to put on a light jacket for the first mile ;)

My 3 miles, M-W-F, is going great. Not having any knee pain, knock on wood. And I'm doing some informal intervals, and I think I'm improving :)

jenguin
12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Add me to the list of cold weather runners! I've been trying to get outside over my lunch hour 2-3 times a week, usually for 4-5 mile runs. I haven't been very good about getting out on the weekends, but it's supposed to be in the 40s today and tomorrow so I'm hoping to maybe get another outdoor run in before Monday hits and the high is 15 degrees!

What kind of cross training do you all do? And do any of you do plyometrics? If so, do you do your own routine, go to a class or use a video?

JulieJ08
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I run M-W-F.

Tu-Th-Sa-Su I do yoga for about an hour and a half. This includes lots of standing and strengthening poses. I also do about a half hour of yoga after my run, focusing just on stretching. Although, lately, I haven't been getting both my weekend yogas in. :dizzy:

I'm thinking about starting some weights, but that means buying some equipment, and I take forever to decide on things :o

JackieRn
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I did 6.1 miles today, it wasn't too bad except from miles 1.5-3 my right foot was going numb. This has happened to me in the past even while running on a treadmill so I don't think its the cold weather. Does this happen to anyone else?

Jenguin: I split my workouts in two running in the morning, cross training at night, and rest day on Sat.
Sun-Thurs: I run
Sun: I spin
Mon-Wed: step aerobics classes.
Sun, Tue, Thurs: Ab & body sculpt classes or free weights and machine weights on my own.

JulieJ08: does the yoga help a lot with recovery after a run, is it something you would highly recommend?

JulieJ08
12-14-2008, 11:56 AM
I did 6.1 miles today, it wasn't too bad except from miles 1.5-3 my right foot was going numb. This has happened to me in the past even while running on a treadmill so I don't think its the cold weather. Does this happen to anyone else?

JulieJ08: does the yoga help a lot with recovery after a run, is it something you would highly recommend?

I think the stretching does help a lot, plus I enjoy it. Some people just find it boring! It does take patience.

I'm pretty flexible now in the quads, hams and calves. I was terrible before, but I wasn't running then either, so I can't compare. I think in the yoga world, running is expected to ruin your yoga - tighten you up. But I've only become more flexible since I started running in August, quite a bit so. I don't think that's due to the running, but it didn't interfere with my yoga.

JackieRn
12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
So I've started running outside in the last few weeks and have had to buy new shoes. Prior to this I was running on a treadmill and my shoes were too small. For some reason I thought it was normal for runners to have black toes. Anyways I did 3.7 miles and my right big toenail fell off, somewhat traumatic experience. Luckily I'm wiser now and my current shoes are 1/2 a size bigger and have ample space for my toes. Turns out this happens a lot especially to women because we don't want to go up in shoe size. So I have one more big toenail to lose and my feet will no longer be a pedicurist's nightmare. For those who have issues surrounding feet (my best college friend is terrified of them)I apologize for posting but I just wanted to share in case someone else has been as "brilliant" as I have been.

JulieJ08
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
So I couldn't run my usual Monday morning, because it was pouring rain. But I'm proud I went out this morning even though it was the first time I noticed I could see my breath (it was cold!). I started out in jacket and gloves ;). I like running, but I'm happy that tomorrow morning it's time to stay in and do yoga :o

I feel like my pace and endurance are starting to pick up, which I'm very happy about. I'm not sure if it's because of the informal intervals I've started doing (I'm sure they're helping, but I haven't been doing them very long), or if it's just one of those times when training goes well!

neeka
12-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Wow Jackie - I can't believe you thought black toes were normal. That must have been incredibly painful! Im glad you have new shoes now :)

I am trying to motivate myself to go for a run now - its cold and very foggy outside and I'm happy & comfortable inside.. you know how it works. Ugh.

Does anybody have any recommendations for music I can listen to on my ipod whilst braving the cold? I always run better with a motivating tune. It can be anything from Britney's new Circus album to hip hop to trance... as long as it's upbeat!

I'll start. Today I am definitely going to listen to these two songs when I'm out there:

1. Annie - I know your girlfriend hates me
2. Janet Jackson - Feedback (some remix)

Ive heard these about 50x before though, so can't wait to hear what you all listen to!

JoyfulVegGirl
12-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Hello all. I introduced myself to this group a while ago but never really became a regular poster. I'd like to catch up and start posting more, if that's ok :) I've been pretty consistent with my running lately and just started training for a marathon, so I'm averaging 20-30 miles per week.

You cold weather runners have my sympathy! It snowed here this week and I've gotten out there for all of my runs but I FROZE on the last one.

JackieRn, the first thing I check if my feet are going numb is my shoelaces. Tight shoes always do that to me.

neeka, running in the fog is great! Almost like your own little bubble. I've been listening to a lot of pearl jam, u2, yeasayer and nas lately. My ipod is pretty crazy, but a few songs that get me started are-

Heart - Crazy on you
The kinks - A well respected man
Ludacris - One more drink (hilarious)

JackieRn
12-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Neeka: I know right, I used to work with a lady who ran and she was always losing toenails and I thought I guess thats what happens, um I guess not. :o

I'm not a Britney person but my sister swears by her stuff old and new when working out. Apparently, "Toxic" is highly motivational. I listen to a mix from Journey ("Don't stop believing" helps me), Weezer, Ingrid Michaelson, Coldplay ( running down hill listening to the last minute of Fix You is awesome), Seal, MIA (off beat sounds are entertaining), Beyonce (her dance stuff gets me moving), Elton John and many others. Oh and an on an embarrassing note that Whitney Houston song from the 1992 Olympics (I think) "One Moment in Time" does it for me. Overall, I like listening to my favorite songs especially on easy runs, it makes it easier to zone out.

JoyfulVegGirl: Thanks for the tip, I do think I tie my right shoe tighter than the left.

MBN
12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
You cold weather runners are really diligent -- my hat's off to you! :brr: My cold weather running experience is extremely limited ... to my annual Christmas pilgrimage to Mid-west-land and our occasional cold front where it drops down to 50 degrees. :p

I ran a small, local half marathon on Sunday morning. No bands, no cheering crowds, just a supported run through some relatively nice neighborhoods. A little boring, but a good excuse to burn off some pie. I finished in a little under 2:05, not my best time, but not bad considering the parties I attended on both Fri and Sat nights ... too much food and drinking and not enough sleep! A 13.1 mile run to clear out the cobwebs, just what the Dr. ordered! And, I got a finisher's medal which is all that really counts. :D

No more big events planned until January. But, I'll be up North over the holidays and found a 5K near my brother's house on the Saturday after Christmas. Sounds like fun, so maybe I'll find out what it's like to run in the cold after all! It's about 20 degrees and snowing there right now !!! :yikes:

Thighs Be Gone
12-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I have missed running yesterday and today due to weather--ICE! I will make the pact right now to do my in home running program for at least two miles today.

ETA: Currently I alternate between running intervals for three miles and jogging about 3 miles. I know I need to add something to my program but unsure what direction to go next.

JulieJ08
12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I feel like in the interest of full disclosure :rofl: I should point out that I'm talking about So Cal "freezing", i.e., an overnight low in the low 40s. I'm pretty sure a lot of you ladies are being far more brave than that!!! :dizzy:

kittycat40
12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Yesterday, in full guilt and feeling extra motivated I ran in SNOW! It was just some big fluffy bits which did turn to light rain and stopped mid-run.

When I was headed out I felt like it was in punishment, but I did change my thought direction into, "ok, your eating has gotten REALLY out of control. You are running right now so you can feel good about the accomplishment and also do something healthy for your body."

Perspective is everything, right?

Anway, this run (just a bit under 6miles) used to take me 80min. Yesterday it took me 63min. :)

JackieRn
12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
You cold weather runners are really diligent -- my hat's off to you! :brr: My cold weather running experience is extremely limited ... to my annual Christmas pilgrimage to Mid-west-land and our occasional cold front where it drops down to 50 degrees. :p

I ran a small, local half marathon on Sunday morning. No bands, no cheering crowds, just a supported run through some relatively nice neighborhoods. A little boring, but a good excuse to burn off some pie. I finished in a little under 2:05, not my best time, but not bad considering the parties I attended on both Fri and Sat nights ... too much food and drinking and not enough sleep! A 13.1 mile run to clear out the cobwebs, just what the Dr. ordered! And, I got a finisher's medal which is all that really counts. :D

No more big events planned until January. But, I'll be up North over the holidays and found a 5K near my brother's house on the Saturday after Christmas. Sounds like fun, so maybe I'll find out what it's like to run in the cold after all! It's about 20 degrees and snowing there right now !!! :yikes:

You ran in under 2:05 and that wasn't your best time, thats impressive. Maybe your name belongs somewhere on the top of this list of winter runners, 13.1 miles is no joke. Awesome achievement.

Pink Geranium
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone, I've been a bit busy so I haven't stopped by here, but I'm hoping to do better. We've had a lot of either very cold weather (30's) or else raining/snowing, or both. Running schedule is a little bouncy right now (such as today there was ice, so I did the elliptical and then a nice class of Aquafit at the fitness club).

I've run in 2 5K's in the last few weeks, one on Thanksgiving and one last weekend. The T'giving one is a neighborhood tradition with 700 people in it, and the course was a little hilly. The hard thing for me was the cold, 35 degrees, and it affected my breathing. I've been concentrating on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. Seems to make a big difference as when I do that, I have much less tightness and other asthma symptoms.

Anyway, turning 50 is a good thing, it's much easier to win awards, many less women running in this age group, not that I run that fast, but I'm always thrilled to get a medal. i was especially happy with this run, though my time was not great, 24:56, because a woman who is I think quite a bit better than I am, having seen her in other races, was behind me the whole way (I wondered why she hadn't passed me several times) and then at the end, she did pass me, but I re-passed and held her off. I felt great I could do that! My son came to watch us race, but, though he was right beside the finish line, never saw either my husband or me. I spotted him about 10 minutes later still staring at the finish. Wonder where he thought we were! Guess he had not woken up????

The race we did this weekend was in a VERY hilly park, and even colder, 30 degrees at 1 PM. Everyone so bundled up! The race was run by the YMCA and partially served as the season ending event for their Girls on the Run program, so there were 250 girls 8-15 or so, as well as all the rest of us. Many parents ran with their girls, even dads, which I thought was great, since in my era dads didn't take any girls' athletic events seriously. One dad had a t-shirt that said, "Claire is in front of me!" I thought, "go Claire!"

Anyway, about 700 people in this race too, and it made for a slow start, but I think that was good, since I got moving more slowly and that helped my breathing a lot. I did 26:13 which I thought was good for the HILLS and the gravel track and the COLD! And I felt good throughout the race. We got finisher medals too, and I got 2nd in my age group. I will say some of those girls were very fast, even some 8 years olds really doing well. I was glad to see it.

Otherwise I try to get in my runs when I can, and swim otherwise, or do as I did today. I did 8 miles on Monday and enjoyed it, it was a beautiful day. Hoping to get another run in on Friday, not tomorrow, as that is a swim day.

MBN
12-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Anyway, turning 50 is a good thing, it's much easier to win awards, many less women running in this age group, not that I run that fast, but I'm always thrilled to get a medal.

I'm with you -- I'm 49, and let me tell you, the 40-something women age group is TOUGH!! I've done races where I would have gotten an award in any ANY age group except my own!! I'm actually looking forward to turning 50 next September, so that I can move up into a new group, and maybe actually have a shot at placing in my age group occasionally. At least until the current crop of fast 40-somethings moves up with me. :D

JulieJ08
12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a new way to estimate the temperature in the morning - how long it takes me to peel off my layers ;) Today I unbuttoned my jacket at a 1/2 mile, shrugged it off my shoulders at about a mile, and finally took it (and my gloves) off at around 1 1/4 miles. The gloves went back on about a half mile later ;). Yeah, yeah, I know my "cold" isn't really "cold." :dizzy: But 38 degrees is cold enough for me!

Pink Geranium
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
To MBN, I agree, I'm amazed at what these 40's year old women can do. Especially compared to the 20 and 30 groups - you are right, I could have gotten awards in some races in these age groups but was nowhere near it in the 40's. I'm kind of intrigued by how these things work out- such as, why are 40's so fast (some of them going 20 minutes!!! in a 5K and many in the 22 -23 minutes range) and where do they all go after they turn 50? Fall off the earth? Wear out and stop running? I can see that younger women often have a lot of life distractions to keep them from training - work, small kids, etc. By the 40's I think these diminish as far as keeping people from training or at least they did for me (since you can leave older kids home as opposed to a baby, work is maybe more flexible, etc.) but I think the 50's would be even better, so where did all these ladies go???

Well, this is just something that I've been wondering, since I've come back to exercise a bit later in life, and just when it seems so many are giving it up!

Raining/sleeting here, so I went to the gym today and did a 5K on the elliptical and then some treadmill stuff. It was a running day on my schedule, but the weather forced the adjustment. I swam twice yesterday so I skipped the pool - I do not want to push my shoulders just when they are doing so nicely. We are hoping to do a 5K on Sunday but looks like it may SNOW. If it does, we may just walk it instead, could be nice! That is, if they have the event.

JackieRn
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
What amazes me is when you look up race results and there are those women 60 and older who ran faster than a lot of 20-50 year olds, its just so inspiring. I want to be one of those old people at the race.

Ran 8 miles outside today. It is now blizzard conditions. For some reason I had the urge to wake up early turns out that was good, I got in most of it before things got really rough. This just is reinforcement that maybe just maybe I'll make it through without having to go back to the TM.

kittycat40
12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I have ice and snow on the street and I really want to run in the early am.
I am planning to call local running store for those yak tracks but I am looking for any tips regarding safety and running ease.

One of the things I will do is run on local neighborhood roads instead of the busier more traffic roads b/c the shoulders have snow plowed onto them. If I stay in my neighborhood, and go early enough I can run in the middle of the roads where they've been sanded and salted.

Just a comment on races and age groups... I noted that the times for women age 30-35 are slower than 35-40. Think it's childbearing??

JackieRn
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I have ice and snow on the street and I really want to run in the early am.
I am planning to call local running store for those yak tracks but I am looking for any tips regarding safety and running ease.

One of the things I will do is run on local neighborhood roads instead of the busier more traffic roads b/c the shoulders have snow plowed onto them. If I stay in my neighborhood, and go early enough I can run in the middle of the roads where they've been sanded and salted.

Just a comment on races and age groups... I noted that the times for women age 30-35 are slower than 35-40. Think it's childbearing??

As far as running in the streets, I do it in patches where the sidewalks haven't been cleared I just run facing traffic and wear visible clothing but the streets aren't busy so I have yet to encounter a car .

I read the boards on runnersworld and there have been a few threads related to running after pregnancy. The general consensus seems to be its all in how hard you train, some women regain their previous speed others surpass it. It might just be that women in 30-35 age range are more likely to have smaller children and have less time to train.

But there is also an alternate explanation I read in the New York times that seems to suggest there is a psychological difference (i.e. more belief in one's ability to improve performance) between older and younger women that causes the former to be faster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/health/nutrition/30Fitness.html?scp=1&sq=older%20women%20and%20running&st=cse (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/health/nutrition/30Fitness.html?scp=1&sq=older%20women%20and%20running&st=cse)

kittycat40
12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
It might just be that women in 30-35 age range are more likely to have smaller children and have less time to train.

But there is also an alternate explanation I read in the New York times that seems to suggest there is a psychological difference (i.e. more belief in one's ability to improve performance) between older and younger women that causes the former to be faster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/health/nutrition/30Fitness.html?scp=1&sq=older%20women%20and%20running&st=cse (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/health/nutrition/30Fitness.html?scp=1&sq=older%20women%20and%20running&st=cse)

Thanks Jackie! So it could be that ol' brain/body connection, yet again ;)
For me, it could be either/or. -- in that i have 1 toddler, 2 nursery school age children and 1 first grader and I never really thought I'd ever be able to run fast. I'm happy to be running at all. :)

sm177
12-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm getting in on this thread a little late!

Jackie - how long does it take you to do the 8 miles?

I did 5 miles today and try to split up 20-25 miles throughout the week. Hoping to start training for a half marathon around March and then run it in October:carrot:

JackieRn
12-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm getting in on this thread a little late!

Jackie - how long does it take you to do the 8 miles?

I did 5 miles today and try to split up 20-25 miles throughout the week. Hoping to start training for a half marathon around March and then run it in October:carrot:

Typically I'm running distances longer than 5 miles at a 8:30-9:30 minutes per mile pace. I time myself and that day it took me 71 minutes to cover 8 miles and the weather was pretty bad towards the end so I was more than pleased.

JulieJ08
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Whew, I started *last night* trying to rationalize no run this morning - but I did it anyway. Whew. Thank goodness. Just my usual 3 miles.

It was interesting as I don't think I was ever so out of breath on one of my runs. I kept up my pace faster on the first half. That is definitely thanks to the effects of the past couple weeks running informal intervals on the last half. But it wore me out! Which actually felt pretty cool :).

I'm thankful it didn't start to rain today until *after* my run!

kittycat40
12-22-2008, 08:17 PM
OK, it was -10 with wind chill at 6a when I wanted to run today.

did 3 miles of HIIT on treadmill instead. followed by upper body weight and resistance. and 4 separate holiday shows at two different schools :)

s'alright with me.

JackieRn
12-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I did my most miserable 5 mile run outside today. I've never been so exhausted, the extra effort or running on packed snow/ice made it feel like running on sand. Oh why do i hear that treadmill calling my name.

kittycat40
12-23-2008, 09:32 AM
did 1 mile. 8.5 min/mile.
did not have too much time. but I was happy to have done that.

Happy Holidays 3fc runners :)

JulieJ08
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I love running, and it's going good right now, but I find myself looking forward to non-running days - just because I don't have to go out in the cold!

JackieRn
12-23-2008, 08:17 PM
I did 3 miles of hill repeats in slush which was a lot better than packed snow and ice. This is my first winter in Canada and I thought 15 Michigan winters were preparation enough but I was wrong. Snow is on a whole another level here. I think the next time I see pavement, I will kiss it.

kittycat40
12-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I did 3 miles of hill repeats in slush which was a lot better than packed snow and ice. This is my first winter in Canada and I thought 15 Michigan winters were preparation enough but I was wrong. Snow is on a whole another level here. I think the next time I see pavement, I will kiss it.

Jackie, you go girl :)

JackieRn
12-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Jackie, you go girl :)

Thanks. Today was wonderful it was 44 deg F outside and most of the snow and ice was off the pavement. It made for the best 5 mile run I've had in a week.

kittycat40
12-25-2008, 08:51 AM
FOr the first day in a long while the temperature was above freezing and I ran in rain, sleet and slush. I was so happy to be running outside I had this big jacka$$ smile on my face.

I did this run leaving Penn station NYC en route to my job about 5 miles from the train. Commuters, in general, are not necessarily a cheery bunch.

Yesterday in the rain and sleet they were almost growling. And there I was with my backpack strapped and running with my big happy smile. :) Well, at least for the first mile. Then I navigated some insanely slippery ice and then about 3.5 miles in I stepped into a 7inch puddle and soaked my foot, sock, and sneaker in icy cold water.

But I persevered and got to work feeling mighty darn proud of myself. :) We had a short day and I did the run again, reverse back to the train station. wet sock and all!

Have a wonderful day everyone :):):)

JackieRn
12-26-2008, 04:01 PM
The weather continues to be cooperative. I got in a 5 mile hill workout yesterday and a personal best 5 miles speed wise today. Needless to say my body is ready for my day off tomorrow. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day.