Weight Loss Support - What's the first thought that goes through your head when you look in the mirror?

horsey
12-09-2008, 04:44 PM
What's the first thought that goes through your head when you look in the mirror? Is it negative? I just read in the latest Fitness magazine that we need to STOP this. Do most of us focus on our flaws? Do we think everyone else is noticing them - or is the truth that everyone is so worried about themselves they aren't really noticing?

I know I"m a perfectionist too worried about little things. I sat in church on Sun and thought goodness, I am MEAN to myself. Other's have REAL bodies, clothes that don't match just right - some quite odd if they aren't into fashion. Yet they seem happier about themselves (of course part is letting go and letting god perhaps and not being as self centered as I am). Here I am all worried about the blazer just perfectly fitting to cover this or that... on and on.

But how about when we look in the mirror we stop the negative talk and instead of looking for our flaws and magnifying them, we look for what we like. What do you like about yourself that you can say to yourself, hey you look GOOD today? We are all works in progress but to obsess and aim at perfection not living in the today, we are missing out - somehow others who are more secure no matter how they look seem to be happier!

I've read over and over that those who see the biggest flaws looking in mirrors are the thinner people, models even, actresses. How sad that is. What can we do to improve how we feel about ourselves in this society, still working on ourselves to lose weight and improve but stopping the hammering on ourselves. Think of how many times a day you look in the mirror and go UGH? Let's not do that anymore...

Shannon in ATL
12-09-2008, 04:48 PM
When I went to the restroom a few minutes ago and looked at myself in the mirror the first thing I thought was something bad about my hair. Then I noticed that my lipgloss still looked great.

When I look at myself when I first get out of the shower the first thing I think is how my tummy is still all poochy and sticks out. I'm trying to make myself think of other things - this morning I consciously came up with positive things about my appearance today. It made me feel better about the tummy. :)

Schumeany
12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, before I got on here this afternoon, I walked passed my bathroom mirror putting clothes away in my closet. I had two thoughts...

1) I wish my nose was a little narrower at the tip.
2) My eyes are really beautiful with my blue-green shirt. It makes their blue-green color look really intense with my fair skin and dark hair...thank you Black Irish heritage.

So, I guess those two sort of even out to neutral? It could have been worse...

Lyria
12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
This morning when I walked into the bathroom my first though was - I so wish I had boobs :P

This was followed by I like my stomach, it has a nice shape now but I want definition back.

And then this was followed by - I love my arse!

Oh, and my skin looks great today and my curls are sitting really well.

I made a conscious effort awhile ago to stop being self critical and I am now self "constructive" - I'm not a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" person...If it's not broken it can still be improved :)

WarMaiden
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Usually I think things like this:

"Huh, you're pretty hot for an old fat lady."

"Not bad...let's fluff the hair like so and put on the sultry pout..."

"Wow, my skin has really improved."

"I wish my hair was -blonder-, like it used to be."

"You know, you really -have- lost a lot of weight."

Mostly positive, I guess. It helps that I just physically feel really good.

TheTinGirl
12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
When I look in the mirror...I don't think. XD
No seriously...I look at myself but I don't think bad or good, that's just the way I am.

FB
12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I walk by a hallway mirror dozens of times a day. Each time I walk by it I momentarily pause and look in. It's a small antique mirror that's hung at face level. Most often I don't think anything - I merely observe myself, I'm accepting, I like what I see but don't think over particulars. It's just a quiet moment that happens often. It's peaceful if that makes any sense.

Horo
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
When I have bedhead and am in my robe & pajamas, it's "hahaha". When I am dressed, with my hair done and all of that, I think "hmm, pretty good :)" when I am without clothes just out of the shower, it's usually something like "I should work on toning up a little bit..."
Depending on the day, results may vary. :D

PrettyPaula
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
pretty much yuck. gross. i dont like the way i look. i know thats bad but i know i can work on it to.

i love my boobs, but i paid alot for em so i should do!

mazza
12-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Interesting question.

I usually think "hrmm... I want to change my hair"
... I get bored with my locks easily. As a result, it's still recovering from years of red/black/purple dye. It's finally the natural ash blonde again.

migotokokoro
12-09-2008, 05:25 PM
My thoughts ---> "What happened?!?! :stress: "

Beautiful Ace
12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Lately what goes through my head when I look in the mirror lately is "This is going to be gone soon"

Thighs Be Gone
12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I usually examine my profile with the help of my cosmetic mirror that accordions from the wall. I have a little pooch under my chin and I wonder how I would look without it. Lately, I have noticed my face is slimmer looking. I am getting ready to hang a full-length mirror in my home--something I haven't had since I was a young girl.

JulieJ08
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Usually in the morning I'm feeling pretty slim, and I'm admiring myself in the mirror because my upper body is thin, my abdomen has gone down a lot, my butt is becoming flat (not actually good!) and my thighs are thinner. I'm still adjusting to the changes. But later in the day I'm likely to be feeling fatter - noticing my belly more, my thighs will look fat. I don't know why it's different

cartp
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
My thoughts are generally JC what happened to that young thin girl I once was??
I consider myself very unattractive woman so just looking in the mirror is a challenge.I need to get rid of the grey ,and how old do you have to be to have good skin?,Dang I am a fat cow.
I have ugly clothes a fat body and an ugly face....guess I better go to work.
I wish I wasn't so embarrassed and ashamed of who I am.

JayEll
12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
It depends why I'm looking.

If I'm getting ready to go somewhere, I'm getting my hair to look nice and appraising my clothing choices. I'm usually happy with what I see.

But every so often, I do a reality check. This involves being naked with a full-length mirror. I don't try to hold in my stomach, and I look front and sideways. The usual conclusion I draw, at my current weight, is "Yup. Still overweight."

The reality check is how I got myself to seriously start losing weight.

Jay

AngelMae
12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Lately what goes through my head when I look in the mirror lately is "This is going to be gone soon"

That is what I have been telling myself lately! :carrot:

cakses
12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I try to find one positive thing to compliment myself on. Lately it's been my upper body. Then when I look at my lower body and am frustrated, I recognize how far I have come and it gives me motivation to go downstairs and eat sensibly.

etherence
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
My eyes always go to my stomach. No matter what. I hate my gut. I know it sounds very negative to say. I really really need to work on that.

jahjah1223
12-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Depends on my mood .. sometimes (nowadays) i think that i look perfect and dont need to lose weight! other days i feel chubby and have a long ways to go

sweet_talker
12-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I usually check myself, think...hmmm...kinda give myself a one over and then flex to see if muscles appear :p

the maine lady
12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I think that I need to keep trucking along with the whole diet and exercise thing! :)

AAAA
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
If it's just the face, I'm pretty happy.

If it's full on naked, I like the slim silhouette. But could live w/o the excess skin.

Hypra
12-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Looking in the mirror is such a different experience now. At my highest weight I would see myself and feel fat, helpless, and overwhelmed. Nearly 30 pounds later, the very worst I ever feel is fat- I know I can work on the areas that bother me and actually improve them. Feeling helpless and overwhelmed is a thing of the past!

horsey
12-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Tonight I went to Ross, tried to buy clothes, said UGH I'm NOT buying any 20+ lbs overweight other then blazers and cover ups, so why buy MORE of those? Why did I even go shop, I know the results, NO, NO, NO. I can't buy clothes and feel good at this weight. I can't stand the neon mirrors and why on earth do they have those as normal mirrors don't make us look that BAD. Sometimes it's a good motivator to say UGH, and then stick with the program but other times it's self destruction and it's not good. Ironicly for 99 cents at Ross there's a book by that shrink guru about "Does this Make me look Fat?" Rhonda Bitten... says "this is not a weight loss book but about acceptance. Well for 99 cents I "almost" bought it but though NOPE if it's not weight loss, means acceptance, I DON'T accept my weight, it's NOT healthy and there's a reason I"m irked at mirrors right now. I want to be healthy for me, my boy and a hopefully long life. However for being my height at least in the meantime I can dress for my figure and feel good temporarilty and hopefully NOT gain this freakin' weight back again yo yo yo yo ing like before.

Tomato
12-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I know this will sound terribly vain, but lately, when I look at myself in the mirror I think "Darn, you look good!" For a long time, it did not seem to me that I was losing weight (visually) but now, all of a sudden, I see the big transformation. I still have a bit of blubber covering my abdominals and I am determined to have a six-pack stomach (and I swear I will, with time) but I am very happy with the shape I am in. I think it's less to do with vanity and more with the happy outlook on life that was my fringe benefit from weight loss and all the hard work at the gym.

Yeah, I wish smaller boobs and a more defined butt, smaller nose, skin that tans easily, and a million of other little wishes, but those seem to be very unimportant right now.

Extasee58865
12-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I love this thread! The first thing I think of when I look in the mirror is how wonderful I am looking these days! My view has officially shifted from a negative (I'm so fat, I hate myself) to a positive (The weight loss is showing & I'm happy with myself!) I'm not TOTALLY happy yet, I haven't reached goal, but I am happy!

Thighs Be Gone
12-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Tomato, 165 is when I started feeling better. 165-170 is when it seemed that EVERYONE began noticing my weight too.

MrsWolf
12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Well, this morning I turned to profile in the full length mirror and my first thought was...

"Getting there"

That's a pretty positive thought for me to have. I am able to recognize how much I have accomplished while still acknowledging there is still a way to go.

butterflygurl
12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I have body dsymorphic disorder so I hate mirrors and try to avoid them as much as possible!

CrabbyCakes
12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Usually something like, "Dang you're gonna be hot by summer!".. things like this keep me going :)

deathnotronic
12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I looked in the mirror after shoveling snow for an hour. I liked the way my hair looked and I had that exercise/being in the cold rosy cheek look. I felt pretty. :)

rockinrobin
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
I see lots of things. But mostly, I just see - ME. For years I would look in that mirror and HATE what I saw. Number one I thought I looked horrible, but I also didn't believe that *I* looked like *me*. I know that sounds strange, but I never thought that that morbidly obese person, with all the excess fat on her, staring me in the mirror was a reflection of *me*. Hard to explain.

Other times when I'm not being as reflective, funny since I'm looking in a mirror, - I definitely see all my flaws, but none the less, I think to myself that I look pretty darn good for a 45 year old formerly morbidly obese person and am quite pleased.

Now sometimes, I will look a bit longer. I LOVE flexing my muscles in front of the mirror - love it. Love staring at my collar bones. Adore my hip bones.

Every now and then I'll take a look at my not such great parts - my innner thighs and under my former behind and think "if only......." ,but that doesn't last too long. I'll quickly get dressed and look in the mirror and think "Not too shabby Robin. You've done all right for yourself!"

Botzz
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I weigh 366 pounds currently and I look in the mirror and like what I see, even at 534 pounds (my highest) I never looked at myself and thought about the negatives,I have a good esteem about myself and alway have (arguably of course), did I/do I know that I am heavy? of course, even a blind guy would know I was heavy! lol but I don't look at the negatives at all (other than this damn loose skin thats poppin up all over the place!) but even then I still like what I see in the mirror ;) call me cocky if you will but nothing good comes of being negative.

this is my mantra :)

As Ever
Me

Nixie
12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Mostly when I look in the mirror, I get super frustrated with myself. I know I'm big, but looking in the mirror just brings it home. I get pretty disgusted. A week or so ago, I sat down on the couch and opened my laptop...before I turned it on, I caught my reflect in the dark screen and (granted, I was looking down) saw my double chin and folds in my neck! I was pretty shocked! When I look in the mirror straight on, I don't see that. It makes me sad to see just how big I've gotten.

SBD Sass
12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
When I look I don't get all positive thoughts. There is stuff I need to work on and if that's looked at as being negative then so be it. I say that looking is better than not looking. When I didn't look ... woof! Sorry, I am kinda down today because I'm going through something closely related to this topic. Blah.

Lynnemarie
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I just avoided mirrors for the longest time unless I could only see my face! Now that I'm finally serious about losing this weight, I try to see the positive when I look at myself....for instance my face looks a little thinner....just anything to KEEP GOING!:)

misspiggy408
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I know this sounds terrible, but when I step outta the shower the first thing I notice about myself in the mirror is my baby belly, Ugh! I swear if there was only one thing I would change about my body, it would be that. It even grosses some of my friends out LOL But I guess that's what happens when you have kids :)

horsey
12-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Today I looked in the mirror and smiled, said you are doing it! I liked my smile, I like that my skin is looking better on my healthy diet including fish oil, tons of veggies. At least that 5 lbs of FAT that was there two weeks ago isn't there hanging on the side of my pants, and the next 5 will be gone soon. AFter reading Robin's response I'm thinking not bad for 40 really, but soon it'll be NOT BAD for 41... me 20 or more lbs lighter soon

lumifan4ever
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Depends on what i'm looking at when i first look in the mirror. If i just got up, i think i look pretty good most of the time (must be the sleep still in my eyes making me look nice). hahaha... But if i've been up for awhile and getting ready for work, i think "damn...i gotta get some makeup on this face to tone down that redness in my face (i have a pretty ruddy complextion, if you ask me). If i'm getting out of the shower, i'm like "damn...i gotta lose this fat around my midsection...it's disgusting. If i'm dressed and ready for work i'm looking thinking, "does this show my fat rolls???"

Other than that...when i'm ready to step out the door, i take a final look at myself in the mirror and think, "now that's one nice looking woman". See...not all negative thoughts. hahaha.

Thighs Be Gone
12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Usually by the time I finish dressing I like most of what I see.

This morning I thought my face looked thinner. I also love to see my waist line as I turn a circle. It is concave now and I see some of the curves I saw once as a young girl. I love my boobs being bigger than my stomach and I love my waist going in where my booty goes out.

MonteCristo
12-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I usually think, wow, you are starting to look great, which is immediately followed by, ugh what awful calves! ;)

figureskater546
12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
i usually think something along the lines of: what a waste! i could be really pretty if i could just lose this darned weight