Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 05:07 PM   #1  
banned

Default May thyroid thread

my weigh-in is tomorrow. i hope i did well
Old 05-01-2002, 11:20 AM   #2  
banned

hi all.

im very upset. i gained again this week for no reason. i do all the right things and gain gain gain. im sick of it. im huge!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:52 PM   #3  

Cheer up!!! andreaphilip3 we have all been there!! Right now I'm happy about two pounds but I'm still at my highest weight ever.... well with out being prego You have to keep positive and keep trying!! You can do it!!
Old 05-01-2002, 09:23 PM   #4  
banned

thanks housewife. im determined to get this licked- no matter how many drs it takes or how much $.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:25 PM   #5  
banned

btw- does anyone know how hashmito's or any of the additional thyroid conditions outside of hypo/hyper are diagnosed? b/c i know i have something, even if it aint hypo& all i hear is about how neg. my blood is. grrr!
Old 05-06-2002, 04:06 PM   #6  

http://thyroid.about.com/library/wee...erms=hashimoto

<snip>

Hashimoto's Disease

Hashimoto's disease, sometimes known as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disease. In Hashimoto's, antibodies are reacting against proteins in the thyroid, causing gradual destruction of the gland itself, and its ability to produce the thyroid hormones the body needs.

Hashimoto's disease is typically diagnosed by one or more of the following means:

Enlargement of the thyroid, known as a goiter
High levels of antibodies against thyroglobulin (TG) and thyroid peroxidase (TPO), detected via blood test
Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid (also known as a needle biopsy), which shows lymphocytes and macrophages
A radioactive uptake scan, which would show diffuse uptake in an enlarged thyroid gland
Ultrasound, which would show an enlarged thyroid gland
Typically, in Hashimoto's, the thyroid does become enlarged, a condition known as a goiter. In some Hashimoto's patients, the goiter will be very small, and they will have no symptoms. Some of these patients require no treatment.

Some people with a goiter will feel discomfort in the neck area. If the goiter causes difficulty swallowing or breathing, or is a cosmetic problem, then thyroid hormone drugs such as levothyroxine or natural desiccated thyroid will usually be given to help shrink the thyroid.

In many cases, however, the onset of Hashimoto's and elevation of antibodies will be accompanied by a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, weight changes, depression, hair loss, muscle/joint aches and pains, infertility, and recurrent miscarriages, among others. Many conventional endocrinologists will not, however, treat Hashimoto's disease if the thyroid function tests (i.e., TSH, T4, T3) are in the normal range, despite these symptoms.

Usually, however, Hashimoto's involves a slow but steady destruction of the gland that eventually results in the thyroid's inability to produce sufficient thyroid hormone -- the condition known as hypothyroidism. Along the way, however, there can be periods where the thyroid sputters back to life, even causing temporary hyperthyroidism, then a return to hypothyroidism. This cycling back and forth between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism is characteristic of Hashimoto's disease.

Ultimately, however, the thyroid slowly becomes less able to function, and when hypothyroidism itself can be measured by blood tests, many practitioners will finally treat with thyroid hormone replacement drugs.

There are, however, some endocrinologists, as well as holistic MDs, osteopaths and other practitioners, who believe that Hashimoto's disease -- as confirmed by the presence of thyroid antibodies -- along with symptoms, are enough to warrant treatment with small amounts of thyroid hormone.

The practice of treating patients who have Hashimoto's thyroiditis but normal range thyroid function tests is supported by a study, reported on in the March 2001 issue of the journal Thyroid. In this study, German researchers reported that use of levothyroxine treatment for cases of Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis where TSH had not yet elevated beyond normal range (people who were considered "euthyroid") could reduce the incidence and degree of autoimmune disease progression.

In the study of 21 patients with euthyroid Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (normal range TSH, but elevated antibodies), half of the patients were treated with levothyroxine for a year, the other half were not treated. After 1 year of therapy with levothyroxine, the antibody levels and lymphocytes (evidence of inflammation) decreased significantly only in the group receiving the medication. Among the untreated group, the antibody levels rose or remained the same.

The researchers concluded that preventative treatment of normal TSH range patients with Hashimoto's disease reduced the various markers of autoimmune thyroiditis, and speculated that that such treatment might even be able to stop the progression of Hashimoto's disease, or perhaps even prevent development of the hypothyroidism.

Autoimmune Thyroiditis Atttacks

In some cases, the thyroid becomes particularly inflamed, known as a thyroiditis attack. Dr. Steven Langer, author of "Solved: The Riddle of Illness," refers to thyroiditis as like an "arthritis of the thyroid." He explains that just as arthritis attacks the joints with pain and inflammation, thyroiditis can mean pain and inflammation in the thyroid for some sufferers. And in particular, during a thyroiditis attack, common symptoms are anxiety, panic attacks, heart palpitations, swelling in the thyroid area, problems swallowing, and frequently, problems sleeping.

"Thyroiditis attacks classically happen in the middle of the night," says Dr. Langer, which can be particularly troublesome in terms of the ability to sleep.

Dr. Langer suggests taking some calcium/magnesium, which are nutrients that have a sedative effect, along with a pain reliever to relieve inflammation -- buffered aspirin or ibuprofen -- before you go to bed, this might help. He's found that this helps about two-thirds of his patients suffering from nighttime thyroiditis symptoms.

Reducing swelling is a key aspect of dealing with thyroiditis attacks, according to Dr. Langer. "Just as with arthritis, an anti-inflammatory pain reliever doesn't cure the problem, but it temporarily ameliorates the symptoms."

Hypothyroidism

Many people with Hashimoto's disease end up hypothyroid, the situation where the thyroid is either underactive or totally unable to function. Hashimoto's disease is actually the leading cause of hypothyroidism, but other causes of hypothyroidism include:
surgical removal of all or part of the thyroid as treatment for nodules, goiter, hyperthyroidism, Graves' disease, or thyroid cancer
radioactive iodine treatment (RAI) given as a hyperthyroidism or Graves' disease treatment
use of antithyroid drugs (such as Tapazole or PTU) to reduce thyroid activity, in response to as hyperthyroidism or Graves' disease
use of certain drugs, such as lithium
Old 05-06-2002, 04:08 PM   #7  

i lost a pound when i weighed myself at home on friday. of course, i think i gained it back because i was feeling a bit depressed...i had to have a biopsy on a mole on my shoulder, and i was worried, so i ate ice cream and german cookies. oh well.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:05 PM   #8  
banned

trix,

ty 4 the info!!!! also, u r in my prayers
Old 05-08-2002, 03:13 PM   #9  

my mole is okay! it's not cancer! yay!

thanks for your prayers. i appreciate it.

i can't wait to get back to aikido though. i'm not supposed to go for 2 weeks cuz of the stitches, but i might go tomorrow anyways.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:19 PM   #10  
banned

yay!!!! im soo glad!

doin ok, i lost 1 3/4 this week.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:34 PM   #11  

cool! i think i gained it though. teehee.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:35 PM   #12  
banned

hang in there!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2002, 12:12 AM   #13  

Talking

Hello all! I am so glad I decided to check in here tonight! I haven't been on this site in awhile, but I come in to look and here is a hypothyroid thread! it gets so frustrating having hypothyroid, sometimes I just wanna give up! I am starting ww again tomorrow and this is the last time I ever want to have to do this!! I hope to talk to you all soon!

Kim
Old 05-13-2002, 10:34 AM   #14  
banned

i hear ya angelica!!!

good luck on ww
Old 05-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #15  
em
em

Unhappy

This is my 1st time here and I will be coming back to see how you all are doing with the weight and the thyroid problems. I had thyroid cancer 1 year ago and they are still trying to get it kick started. It sure is tiring and nerve recking.... But Im trying to stay positive . Good luck all.
Closed Thread