Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Oprah

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/...winfrey_weight

So with all her money and resources, and experts, Oprah can't stay thin. That really makes you realize how awesome the 3FC maintainers are, doesn't it.

BTW - I can't believe that she pulled her wagon of fat out on stage 20 years ago. That makes me feel really old.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #2  
One pound at a time...

Interesting post, Sandi. I feel for her, as it must be so hard to be not only judged by yourself but the public as well. It just goes to show you that there is no such thing as a silver bullet for weight loss.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Maybe it's just me but I still think she looks nice and she is till 40 pounds down from her highest weight.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #4  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

love her- she is a beautiful person. I don't think OP meant to insult Oprah- only to point out how difficult it really is. I can thank her, and other celebrities for that as well- every time I see some new sure fired way to lose weight I think that if it is really that simple all of the super wealthy would be thin and they just aren't.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

Oh Oprah. I'm sad that she gets such hard public scrutiny, but god bless her for standing up to it and being forthright and candid about her weight -- I think it helps other women to realize that the richest and most powerful woman in the world has weight problems, so maybe we shouldn't hate ourselves if we struggle.

Also, I think she looks absolutely gorgeous at her current weight! I happened to see her in person a few months ago and man, she was radiant.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

My first thought at reading that was: "Damn, I'd KILL to weigh 200 pounds!!"

Just goes to show that we all have our demons.

I agree with the posters above--she is still gorgeous! But if Oprah FEELS fat and unattractive, no amount of us telling her she is beautiful will suffice.

Very sad.

And yes, it's hard to believe it's been 20 years since the skinny Calvins came out on stage with the lard.

Last edited by Jen415; 12-09-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: 'Cuz I'm feeling as old as Sandi! :)
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I bet it is really hard to stay thin if you're Oprah (God, the pressure alone).

Her days are probably busier than I could fathom. Also, a woman like that probably has food shoved at her all the time- gifts, parties, etc... Some women can resist the urge, but Oprah is human. I can relate to that (well, not to being Oprah, but having a really hard time passing up delicious food).

I do still think she looks great even though she has "filled out" a bit.

Honestly, I'm glad she's approaching this (I've heard her elude to this on her show). I get so annoyed with shows who only focus on the loss. If we gave more than half a thought to maintenance, it might not have such a high failure rate. She could do a real service with this.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbytummy View Post
Oh Oprah. I'm sad that she gets such hard public scrutiny, but god bless her for standing up to it and being forthright and candid about her weight -- I think it helps other women to realize that the richest and most powerful woman in the world has weight problems, so maybe we shouldn't hate ourselves if we struggle.

Also, I think she looks absolutely gorgeous at her current weight! I happened to see her in person a few months ago and man, she was radiant.
That was exactly the word I was thinking of when I was trying to describe her. She is quite radiant!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Yes, don't get me wrong, I love Oprah to death and I love the way she is always honest about what is going on with her.

I guess it just really goes to show you what a battle being overweight is. Sometimes I think "if". You know if I had more time, I would work out more. If I had more money, I do Jenny Craig. If, if, if. Oprah has all the if's in the world and it's still a struggle.

It just makes me feel like less of a failure, knowing that it's hard for someone like Oprah too.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #10  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
It just makes me feel like less of a failure, knowing that it's hard for someone like Oprah too.
Totally agree. Maintaining is the most difficult life experience I've taken on. I decide every day whether or not I'm going to "maintain" and lately I have not succeeded. But I get back on. And I think it's huge that Oprah is tackling this. I've been waiting forever.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #11  
No description available.

She is busy. I think that 2008 was probably even a little busier than other years (maybe---just assuming!). She's human too and I admore her so much for her forthrightness and ability to deal with her weight issues in the public eye. I remember dieting and trying to lose pregnancy weight in 1995 following advice by Bob Greene on the Oprah show. I think Oprah has so much influence on being able to teach about health, nutrition and movement. I wish she would hang out on 3FC for awhile.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Oprah is human like the rest of us. At least I don't have magazines writing about my weight! And I am really glad that it is not featured on CNN's home page!

Last edited by time2lose; 12-09-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added comment
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #13  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

The biggest thing I got from that article was that she said that she had lost all the weight on a liquid diet, celebrated the loss by eating, and two days later her jeans didn't fit.

Lesson for the chicks: Start eating for maintenance now and make your weight loss eating habits very similar to your maintenance plan.

I think she just fell in the trap many of us chicks have fallen into before, the idea that we change our eating to lose the weight and look forward to "going back to normal" when it's gone. But we know "going back to normal" means gaining the weight back.

I'm not pointing fingers at her at all, because I think pretty much everyone here has done the same thing at one time or another. It just reinforces all the good advice we get here about making your eating plan something you can do forever.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

rodeogirl - That thing about going on a liquid diet and going back to eating was 20 years ago. Since that point though, I think she has tried to do something that is maintainable.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #15  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Yeah like I said I wasn't judging her just pointing out what I thought was a good lesson from the article.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote