Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default 90 calorie muffins--possible?

So, I was talking with my university cafeteria's manager for a class project. After I'd asked her what I needed, we just chatted about the food. I asked if they'd be posting nutritional contents for their breads and sweets table. She goes "Yeah, I don't think people have realized the thing about the muffins yet."

"Muffins?"

"The fat-free ones. Our pastry chefs make them, and all the other pastries, early each morning. The fat free ones are only 90 calories each. I love them! They totally kill my sweet cravings!"

My first thought was But then I thought a bit more about it afterward. These muffins are smaller (and lighter and stickier) than regular muffins, but still larger than "mini-muffin" size. They're hand-made each morning, and the kitchen is pretty health conscious.

So, does it seem like these muffins could really be 90 calories?
Phoenixflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

It's hard to say w/out knowing what goes into them. I have a couple of recipes for muffins that come up at 100 cals or less per muffin - and those are real sized muffins, not the giant ones and not the bite-sized ones. Just regular muffin pan sized muffins.

But my recipes involve subbing applesauce for a lot of the fat, a whole lot less sugar, and shredded fruit/veggies for bulk.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

It's definitely possible. I have several recipes for regular size (as photochick says, not giant-sized and not bite-sized, just normal sized muffins) that come in a 100 calories. My Fiber One Muffin recipe comes in at 80 calories a muffin (and you would never guess it is made with Fiber One). I also have recipes for Carrot-Zucchini muffins, Banana-Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins, and Wheat-Bran Muffins that all come in at 110 calories or less per muffin.

And there are commercially available muffins that come in at 100 calories or less as well. Trader Joe's sells some, there are the Vitamuffins, and there are others.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 12-08-2008 at 10:24 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote