Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #1  
Workin' It

Default Good starting weights

I do my exercising at home for right now, and am going to buy some dumbells to add to the ones I have. (I have 5lb and 8lb, they came with some aerobics kit I bought forever ago.) Any suggestions on a few basic sizes to buy? I know that everyone uses different weights on different things - I have a Weider home gym that uses the resistance cables and I use dramatically different amounts of resistance from exercise to exercise.

I'm also thinking about one of those pullup bars that hooks to a door frame, anyone used one before?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

If you can afford them, I'd go for adjustable dumbbells. I have a pair of powerblocks, but I think nautilus makes them as well. You're going to get a lot more flexibility and won't have storage problems with multiple dumbbells. The ones I have go from 5-lbs to 50-lbs. Oh, and I have a pull-up/chin-up bars, got it (of all places) at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I'm using it with an assistance band (and still not there yet), but it's quite easy to use.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=16159433

Last edited by RealCdn; 12-08-2008 at 11:32 AM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can't do pullups yet but even attempting to will help you. If you have someone to assist you, you could do a quasi assisted pullup.

Adjustable weights could be good. I don't have any.

The weights I have are 5lbs, 8lbs, 10lbs, 12lbs, 15lbs and 20lbs. Although from now on, I'm not buying any more dumbbells, I'm only going to buy kettlebells because you can do a lot with them. I have a 15lb, 20lb, 25lb, 35lb and 45lb kettlebell which have filled in some of the weight gaps. I plan to buy another 20lb and 25lb kettlelbell sometime soon.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I have 8, 10, 15 (2 of each) ... I would love to swap them out for a set of adjustable ones, but at this point it's not worth the money. If I didn't have my gym membership, I'd consider it.

I also would love a couple of different kettlebell sizes .. but that's going to have to wait for a while.

At this point the 8lb weights are just too light for anything effective for me except maybe for holding on to for lunges. But if you're just starting out with weights, or just getting back into them, they might be ok.

Ok, so back to your question ... I'd get some 10lb or 12lb and at least one 15 and one 20 - I find I use the 20 and even the 25 at the gym for things like overhead tricep extensions and for stepups when I can hold the one weight in front of me with both hands.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I have 8,10,12 and 15 (a pair of each) but I sort of regret that I did not spring for adjustable ones from the very beginning.
But then again, I go to the gym so I can utilize the weights there.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

OK, what about benches? I have NO room to leave one out. My coffee table is not sturdy. Are there collapsible ones that would go under a bed (and not a terribly high bed either)? Is one really necessary or at least really nice to have? I've done weight training before, but never at home. So I benched at the gym, and I've just never tried to do a workout without one.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #7  
Workin' It

I've wondered the same thing about benches... My coffee table isn't very sturdy either, though it is a good height for tricep dips combined with my chair.

I'm thinking maybe adjustable ones, if I can find them for a reasonable price... Unless I stumble on some individual ones for a great deal.

Anne, that is the same pullup bar I'm looking at on Amazon.com - is it hard to install?

Photo - silly question, what is a 'stepup'? What it sounds like I imagine? What do you step up on?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #8  

Benches - when I work out at home, I use a dining room chair ... I just face forward or back, depending on what I'm doing.

Stepup - pretty much what it sounds like. At the gym I use a bench for stepping, at home I use a dining room chair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5mE3yAUre8

The hardest part is NOT using your back foot to push off with. I combat that by not going all the way down on my back step - just letting my toes graze the ground and then stepping back up.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I bought a cheap bench, cost $50 and is Danskin brand. It folds up and is adjustable. It served us well when we had limited room and I'd feel comfortable using it for dumbbells. We upgraded to a heavy duty bench when we got our home gym system.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #10  

Actually, come to think of it, I have a step system with lifts ... right now it's under the bed. I could use it for step ups and other things. I keep forgetting I have it.

Huh. Go figure.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Benches - when I work out at home, I use a dining room chair ... I just face forward or back, depending on what I'm doing. .
Huh, I wouldn't have thought of that. I guess you're only talking about an incline press then? (not supine).

Quote:
Stepup - pretty much what it sounds like. At the gym I use a bench for stepping, at home I use a dining room chair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5mE3yAUre8

The hardest part is NOT using your back foot to push off with. I combat that by not going all the way down on my back step - just letting my toes graze the ground and then stepping back up.

Wow, a dining room chair seems so high for that. And hard on the chair
Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #12  

Quote:
Wow, a dining room chair seems so high for that.
The higher the step, the more it works your glutes. I have ulterior motives.

I never actually thought about it being hard on the chair - but I have these old, solid maple chairs that were my g'mothers. They're pretty darned sturdy. The only thing is I have ot move them either to the living room rug or upstairs on the carpet. Because they have felt tips on the legs and so they slide on the hardwoods.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #13  

Quote:
The higher the step, the more it works your glutes. I have ulterior motives. .
Oh geez, and I was just noticing this morning that my butt is getting even flatter. Well, not flatter, just flat .

Quote:
I never actually thought about it being hard on the chair - but I have these old, solid maple chairs that were my g'mothers. They're pretty darned sturdy. The only thing is I have ot move them either to the living room rug or upstairs on the carpet. Because they have felt tips on the legs and so they slide on the hardwoods.

My chairs are sturdy. I was thinking more of the finish.

My butt-building may have to take priority over my chair's finish
Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

The FIRM sells a step that is standard height when flat and then when you extend the foldable risers is like 24" high - about a coffee table I would say, but shorter than my bench. I use that for risers. You can get it (with some dvds) at Target or probably many other places. It would fold away for you. It's big - you could probably lie on it as well. I use mine for step-ups and, oh yeah, you can feel it. I felt like I had buttock rods the whole rest of the week from just one session.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

I have a step from when I did step aerobics at home (not a pretty sight!) and still use occasionally for step ups with the risers. I could never use a chair as I cannot put that much weight on my knee. I have trouble even getting out of the swimming pool on the ladder. That last step over the drain rail is too high to have my knee carry the weight.

My home weights go up to 12. I'm considering adjustable eventually. Right now I'm using the gym more so I just use what I need from the several free weight areas. I don't have a bench at home, nor do I have room for one. We have a stationary bike, plus the step and some dumbbells.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote