Weight Loss Support - 5'4" and 235lbs- is this normal??

View Full Version : 5'4" and 235lbs- is this normal??

kelly315
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I've been spending a lot of time surfing the internet looking at before/after pictures, or talking to people in my life about weight. And now I'm sooooo confused. There are a lot of people out there that are around the same weight as me (235) and they look much bigger than I believe I look. I've also seen/know people that are around my weight that look heavy, but fit and seem to have a lot less fat. (All these people are within an inch or two of my height).

Soooo... what's going on? I don't believe that anyone is lying, but the difference is so drastic. If none of these people had told me their weight, I would guess it was anywhere from 200 to 300, instead of 230-245ish.

I know everyone carries weight differently, but that differently?

So here's my question, for those of you who are around my height or know people around my height, is my build fairly normal for a 235 pound woman who's 5'4"?? I'm biased, and I think I may be viewing myself as smaller than I actually am.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/heydello/random002-1.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/heydello/022-3.jpg

luvja
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
My best friend started her weight loss journey at 230 lbs, she is also 5'4" (shorties!), and pear shaped like you. You both have simular body shapes. Mine is way way way different. I wore the same size clothes at 285 lbs as she did at 230-210 lbs. I love this, I get all her old clothes, she has/had a wonderful taste in fashion :D. Pear shapes normally don't look as big as they are because of the way your built (which I'm jealous of). I'm bigger up top and smaller on the bottom, with you guys it's the other way around. Grrrrr!
But comparing you to my friend, I think your build is pretty normal.

P.S. Your stomach is looking awesome!. I wish I had a flat-ish stomach....*sigh* Mine is all rolly and stuff.

walking2lose
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi there - You look amazing!

I'm not that good of a judge of telling how much a person weighs by how they look. However, you have a very shapely figure, which you had even in your before pic at 288. Your waist definitely goes in, and you have a definite hourglass shape. This probably allows you to look thinner than, say, a woman who weighs as much as you but who is more of an apple. When a person carries a lot of their weight in their tummy, it may make them look larger.

Congrats on your success! Looks like you are making great progress - losing 50 lbs. since August is amazing! Keep up the excellent work!

kernflower
12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
You look amazing!!! I can only wish I looked that good! I have a long way to go. Congrats on the weight you've lost already!

luvja
12-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Compare our bodies around 280 lbs, look at the difference between this picture and your first picture, we are both around the same weight. I'm 5 inches taller than you. It's so odd the way we all gain our weight differently. I envy your stomach! Yes I realise my face is all squinchy in this picture haha.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/sea1986/IMG_3849.jpg

kelly315
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Thank you all. I didn't intend to fish for compliments, haha, but I've been feeling really self conscious- like I'm a lot bigger than I keep thinking. Your posts have made me feel better. I needed some assurances that this is how I'm supposed to look at this weight. Thanks.

And I think you're right, maybe the differences between the women I mentioned is their shape.

kelly315
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh, and Luvja- my lower tummy is still plenty flabby, but I usually wear tight enough pants in my pics that you can't tell, haha.

luvja
12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh, and Luvja- my lower tummy is still plenty flabby, but I usually wear tight enough pants in my pics that you can't tell, haha.

Haha I know all those tricks, but I actually have like an upper belly roll. Where as it doesn't look like you do, or if you do it's tiny compared to mine! haha. It's horrid!
I think the way people gain weight has a lot to do with their height. IMHO.

kelly315
12-07-2008, 08:33 PM
probably partially, although I'm sure there are really tall people who are pears (I know at least one) and vice versa. I think you're right, tho.

The good thing about being an apple, however, is that you guys will always have the best legs (especially after you reach goal). I've never been able to wear a cute little skirt, even at my smallest- chunky legs.

luvja
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
probably partially, although I'm sure there are really tall people who are pears (I know at least one) and vice versa. I think you're right, tho.

The good thing about being an apple, however, is that you guys will always have the best legs (especially after you reach goal). I've never been able to wear a cute little skirt, even at my smallest- chunky legs.

Yeah but you pears have the flat stomachs! Where as I doubt I'll ever have one, even if I weighed 140 lbs, I'd still probably have mini rolls! haha. We all want something we can't have eh!

PhotoChick
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Your waist definitely goes in, and you have a definite hourglass shape. This probably allows you to look thinner than, say, a woman who weighs as much as you but who is more of an apple. When a person carries a lot of their weight in their tummy, it may make them look larger.
Yeah, that's my thought. I'm 5'4" and at 230 or so, I definitely carried more weight in my stomach and had a "straighter" waist than you do. But I had narrower hips and thighs than you do.

I feel like I looked bigger at that weight because of my waist/tummy issue. That definitely made me look FAT in a way that I wouldn't have if I had a more curvy figure.

WormwoodDoll
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
kelly315, I have a similar body shape to you, except I'm much smaller in the breasts. I'm 5'3" and 220lbs with a B/C cup. I have a pear shape and I look smaller than I weigh. Yet I'm still big... So weird. Here's a body pic taken 2 days ago. The shirt is really fluffy, so it doesn't do me justice. But I always wear clothes too big for me.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/accidentalprotege/corinnebby026-1.jpg

WormwoodDoll
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah but you pears have the flat stomachs! Where as I doubt I'll ever have one, even if I weighed 140 lbs, I'd still probably have mini rolls! haha. We all want something we can't have eh!

Haha, I so agree. I wish I had smaller thighs.

walking2lose
12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
http://flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

There's a really cool website/chart with pics of people at different weights. It really shows what you are talking about. I can't find it, but this flickr site is similar, though not nearly as good as the other.

Anyone know what site I'm talking about?

kelly315
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the pic wormwooddoll- it's good to see someone at my weight-ish who doesn't look "fat". I was starting to wonder about the other pics I've seen of girls around our weight that look good were real or not.

And we all have something that we hate about ourselves- I'm sure that a lot of apple shaped women don't look "fat" either (for example, luvja- you carry your weight very well).

Walking2lose- yeah, that site is great. I picked my goal weight from a picture from one of those similar sites.

Kataclismic
12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.shtml

This site is cool, I think that's the one you were talking about.

OP, You are freaking fantastic and hot!

WormwoodDoll
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Kelly, what size jeans do you wear? Just curious.

kelly315
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
okay, here are three women that claim to be around 5'4" and 235ish pounds

They all look so different to me, but it may be partially the body shape.
Oh, and wwdoll, I'm wearing size 18s right now (they cause a little muffin top so they don't fit perfectly, but my 20s are a bit too big to be comfy).

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/heydello/steelecj203lbs.gif

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/heydello/481243889_l.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/heydello/1472428556_7a4afdb347.jpg

kelly315
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
the first two are pretty similar, except one is apple and the one below her is pear, but the third one...??

what size jeans do you wear, or did you wear at my weight?

Kataclismic
12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Your body is shaped alot like the one in the second photo,

WormwoodDoll
12-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh really? Me too. I went from 22s to 18s. Mine fit almost perfectly in the waist, but are lose around my thighs/legs. I shaped my legs up by walking everywhere. We should be weight loss buddies. We have a lot in common.

kelly315
12-07-2008, 09:27 PM
That's good to know, that means mine will probably stop giving me the muffin top by the time I'm your weight (looking forward to it).

oh, and I'd love to be your weight loss buddy. I warn you, I don't exercise very much, but I'm planning to start Jillian's 30 day shred this month, so I might complain a bit ;) but probably not too much.

WormwoodDoll
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh, and I was wearing size 20s around 235.

luvja
12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I wear a 20 right now since about 280 lbs... I can squeeze into an 18. but it makes my muffin top violent. Haha.

And that 3rd girl in that picture sure looks a lot more then 235 lbs.... ?
I seriously would have guessed like atleast 260 :yikes:...Maybe I'm crazy

kelly315
12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
so wormwoodDoll, if we might be weight loss buddies, I should tell you a little about myself. I'm 22, an undergraduate at Ohio State studying anthropology. I love art and tattoos- I used to paint (still do sometimes) and got a little way into a tattoo artist apprenticeship before I went back to school (I want to get fully trained someday, but so busy!). I'm engaged to a great guy; we're probably not going to get married for at least a couple of years, but I already got the ring, so I'm happy. Earning money, finishing my undergrad work, you know.

I don't really work out very much, but I'm trying to start Jillian's 30 ds this month. I'm a calorie counter, and I shift my calories anywhere from 1300 to 1700ish (but I try to stay away from the high end).

What about you?

kelly315
12-07-2008, 09:46 PM
luvja- I know, she does look a lot bigger, but I've come across a lot of women who are saying that they weight 235 and look that big or bigger.
That pic came from this site:

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodie...htweight.shtml

Edit: sorry, it's from this site

http://flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

WormwoodDoll
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Okay - I currently live in Philadelphia with my fiance and cat Valerian. School is on hold for me at the moment. I am waiting for my fiance to graduate in September. I want to go for anthropology, which is quite weird, haha. I want to be a forensic anthropologist.

I love body modification / art. I currently have 7 tattoos. I have an obsession (lack of a better word) with owls. My favorite musicians are David Tibet (Current 93), Wendy van Dusen (Neither/Neither World), Tony Wakeford (Sol Invictus) and Matt Howden (Sieben). I read a lot of books, mostly occult type stuff. I believe knowledge and experience are two essential things in life.

My highest weight was 256lbs in 2007. Right now I eat between 1,200 - 1,600 calories. Walking is my main exercise but am joining a gym this Friday.

Anything else?

Ufi
12-07-2008, 11:55 PM
This is me at 220, and we're about the same height.

Tomato
12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I am a different height but I just wanted to say that when I used to be slim people would not believe how much I weigh - they always thought I weighed a LOT less than I actually did. Maybe I have heavy bones or whatever is the term for that. I stopped worrying about such things. Also, I think it also has a lot to do with different body shapes - the weigh may show up differently.

And by the way - you are a very beatiful young lady with a lovely hour glass body!

mudskippersgrl
12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I wear a 20 right now since about 280 lbs... I can squeeze into an 18. but it makes my muffin top violent. Haha.

I agree, the third picture looks a bit heavier than 235..... or maybe we are both just crazy.... :dizzy:

Also, you guys are reading just a bit heavier then me and say that your wearing a size 20 and can fit into a size 18! Jeeze,... When I started at
226lbs I was busting out of a size 20 or so, and now at 180lbs I am just now able to wear a size 20pants... Really pushing it in a 18 though...

Guess shape really dose make a huge difference in things... :?:

luvja
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree, the third picture looks a bit heavier than 235..... or maybe we are both just crazy.... :dizzy:

Also, you guys are reading just a bit heavier then me and say that your wearing a size 20 and can fit into a size 18! Jeeze,... When I started at
226lbs I was busting out of a size 20 or so, and now at 180lbs I am just now able to wear a size 20pants... Really pushing it in a 18 though...

Guess shape really dose make a huge difference in things... :?:

Yeah that proves it right there - it's all about the shape of your body, baby! Not your actual weight!.....to a certain point of course.

kelly315
12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
kisskiss- I don't think I'm smaller than you, I think you look great!
and mudskippergrl- you're right, if I've learned anything from this it's all about shape.

willow650
12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
cockeyedcom/photos/bodies/heightweight.shtml

This site is cool, I think that's the one you were talking about.

OP, You are freaking fantastic and hot!

I'm 5'8" and weighed 200 (down to 195 now), wanted to lose 55lbs and be 145. after looking at this site, I think I want to look like the 160lb girl.

willow650
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM

I tried a size smaller jean the other day, it turned 'muffin top" to the WHOLE sheet cake...lol

Smiling_Sara
12-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Kelly, Like someone else mentioned, you have a nice hourglass figure. I'm jealous of your flat stomach. At 210 lbs, I don't have anything close to a flat stomach. I do have a could photos of me at 240 without a shirt on that if I get brave enough I may post once i get home. The truth lives on...we all do carry our weight differently! :)

luvja
12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I tried a size smaller jean the other day, it turned 'muffin top" to the WHOLE sheet cake...lol

Lmao I hear you sistah! :lol::lol:

kelly315
12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
borntofly- no need to be brave, it's about as safe as it gets here on 3fc

Smiling_Sara
12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
borntofly- no need to be brave, it's about as safe as it gets here on 3fc

you're so right Kelly. I will post some....How do I make it so that the photo's are not so large?

CrabbyCakes
12-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Kelly I know exactly what you mean! I've often had the same thought. I just chalked it up to delusional thinking. Probably the same thinking that didn't allow me to realized I had jumped from 140lbs to well over 200 :(

Anywho.. heres me at 5'6" and 240...

Smiling_Sara
12-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I hope this worked, I went to a photo edit website so the pics weren't huge.

me at 240 and 5'6

me at 210 and, no taller :)

sadly, I don't see as big of difference as I hoped....

Findmyself
12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I see a difference born to fly!! Your stomach is disappearing!! Good for you!!

WormwoodDoll
12-08-2008, 11:29 PM
BornToFly, there is a HUGE difference! Your tummy is surely disappearing!