LA Weight Loss - Winter in the VOLUMETRICS world

View Full Version : Winter in the VOLUMETRICS world

meowee
12-01-2008, 09:29 AM
:welcome: . . . Thought we should have a new start once again, since it is the start of a new month and, for a lot of us it definitely feels feels like the start of the new season as well . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey! We made it to December! Gotta go eat my oatmeal.

ArtCat
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Gail- you mentioned brussels sprouts- one of my favorite veggies! This is how I like them- I chop a leek, finely chop the sprouts and shred a carrot into a pan with a little EVOO and just stir fry them. they're so good!
:snowglo:
this is what it looks like here!

gailr42
12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Yum! What could be easier?

meowee
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
:wave:

It does sound good and brussel sprouts are NOT one of my favourites although I can't say I actually dislike them.

ArtCat
12-03-2008, 10:28 AM
We grow them ourselves every year, and they taste so much better than from the store. They're best harvested after a hard frost or two, so Thanksgiving usually ends up being the perfect time for them.

meowee
12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi . . . :wave:

Our weather is still unseasonably mild and, although I don't mind being 'snowless' I'd very much like to see some sun. :yes:

Just about finished up the wrapping (hope to get things to the post office tomorrow). Of course, I'm also starting to get the almost overpowering urge to bake, bake, bake that hits me every year about this time. Must fight it because it always seems to come along with a companion urge to eat, eat, eat. :s:

Have a good day . . . :carrot:

gailr42
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I never knew that sprouts were improved by a frost or two! I have been eating them like crazy. I got a big sack full of little tiny ones at Costco.

I can't say that I have been doing too well in the eating area. I did manage to make myself up several batches of soup for my lunches. I made white chili, black bean chili, butternut squash soup, and lentil/barley soup. All of these are made according to a healthful recipe. They are all divided up into portions and in the freezer. Now all I have to do is eat the soup instead of some of my preferred "junk".

I watched a special about the bad American diet on TV today. Nothing especially new. Sanjay Gupta talked about the easy availability of prepared, less than nutritious junk food. He said that some of the flavor additives the food companies use are almost addictive. Brian Wansink was on talking about mindless eating.

I am really sick of OJ Simpson. He almost makes me loose my appetite.

ArtCat
12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe your news is different than ours- I don't think they're talking about OJ Simpson at all around here. Which is fine by me! I had enough of him a couple of years ago.

I agree about the special you saw- if you're busy and stressed, which it seems everyone is, it's so much easier to pick up premade ready stuff, and it's always bad for you. It takes a lot more effort to make your own healthy stuff. We need a company that makes stuff for you, but it's healthy. And doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm getting plenty of exercise lately shoveling snow!

judipurple
12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
:wave: Just sending out warm thoughts on this snowy afternoon! :coolsnow:

gailr42
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I saw all that snow on the weather report this morning. No snow here, although we did have a bit of rain yesterday.

I have had such a bad cold. It just hangs on and hangs on. Now I think I have pinkeye. One of my coworkers had it last week. Just what I don't need!

I am eating a small bowl of lentil/barley soup with my lunch. I made it from a recipe on the package of either the lentils or barley. I also have a chicken salad sandwich and a lettuce and tomato salad for lunch.

meowee
12-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi there . . . wherever you are . . . :wave:

judipurple
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
:tape:

........Been kinda quiet around here, lately......

:ziplip:

meowee
12-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Happens every year around this time . . . everybody just gets toooooooo busy, I guess.

ArtCat
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm here! Had a doctor's appt yesterday, which confirmed my scale. It's always nice to know your scale's at least somewhat close.
I've been bad about exercising lately- it's hard to find time for it when you can't even find time for everyday things. I know, it should be listed as an everyday thing, but it feels like everything should. At least I'm still doing baby yoga every morning and trying to eat right.

meowee
12-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Eating OP is a great NSV at this time of year . . . but not one that I'm managing. :mad:

judipurple
12-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Me, too - it's tough to accomplish this time of year. I must be part bear - all I wanna do is eat and hibernate!!! :brr:

meowee
12-13-2008, 10:07 AM
What a difference . . . I know that Canadians are famous (or maybe that's infamous) for talking about our weather a lot; probably because we get so much of it. :lol: AtlantiCa is on the same roller-coaster. Yesterday we broke fifty-year-old records by hitting +20 C (68F). Today -- our high is going to be -2C (+28F) with a little snow before we also head back to about +10/11 C (+37F) for tomorrow.

Well, I really have to go out and brave the cold and the crowds for a bit today since the larder is looking a little bare and I do have one more gift to get. So I'd best get moving in the hopes of beating the snow. Hopefully I'll resist the urge to buy butter so I won't be able to come home and whip up a batch of shortbread. :crossed:

Have a great day . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Speaking of shortbread, I picked up the best recipe for a really light, easy shortbread.
Melting Moments
1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. flour (I think I added a little more)
1 c. softened butter
Blend and mix well. Drop by spoonful and press with a fork dipped in flour. bake 350 degrees (F) for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.

I am in no way encouraging anyone to make these, but if you do, just try one or two and give the rest away!

meowee
12-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Mine is just butter, flour and powdered sugar . . . but I stayed strong . . . no butter in the house means no shortbread in the house. :lol:

gailr42
12-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Ahem. I must confess to purchasing two boxes of Walkers Shortbread biscuits at Trader Joe's the other day. I actually got them to take to the Christmas party at work. Now I am not sure I will be at work that day. I'm sure I can find something to do with them.

I am on a brussels sprout kick. Too bad that's not all I'm eating.

I seem to have lost my sense of taste since I have had this awful cold. You'd think that would make me not want to eat. Hah.

We had a 4.0 earthquake this morning. It is supposed to be 23 degrees tonight, and some criminal mugged two of our librarians IN the library. That's the news from my area of the boonies.

meowee
12-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Actually, I'd have been ahead of the game to buy the butter and make the shortbread -- unexpected company brought some Bailey's filled chocolates. I showed great restraint -- probably only ate about 1000 calories worth. :o

ArtCat
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I would have caved with the Bailey's filled chocolates, too.

Don't you love the holidays? Instead of being able to enjoy the occasional splurge, we feel guilty, and it spirals from there. With that being said, I'm looking forward to making our traditional Dutch cookies- Speculaas, a cinnamonny- windmill cookie, and Banket, bars made with almond paste.

meowee
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
So far this month I seem to be one day On Plan and the next day Off. Could be worse I guess. :dunno:

gailr42
12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I am more like a couple of hours on plan and the rest of the day...not. At least I have my healthy lunch made for tomorrow and my salad made for dinner tonight. Dinner is going to be something with chicken.

The other day when I was at Trader Joe's I got some pumpkin butter. Folks on here have mentioned it. Really yummy! I also got some mini merengue cookies. According to the lable, I can have 13 of them for 110 calories. That is a very satisfying ammount for a treat.

Another quake this morning - 3.2 - not much, but we felt it. The thing that is interesting about the quakes is that the epicenter is right underneath us, so we can really feel it.

ArtCat
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm with Gail- I can't seem to make it through a whole day OP. I have some time before the kids come and things really gear up, so I need to buckle down and make some progress that I can undo later!

It's really cold and windy here- very nasty outside, school was delayed because of the ice. At least there's no shoveling yet today!

gailr42
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
We had snow the night before last - probably 5 inches. I couldn't go to work because I couldn't get up the hill out of our housing area. This morning, all the snow that melted into giant mud puddles has frozen solid, so I couldn't even get out of my car port. I decided this morning to just bag working this week. I hate having to call someone to work for me at 5am. I might as well just schedule them to work. I know. We Californians are wussies.

Last spring, I bought a down coat on sale at Wal-Mart for $35. The purpose of the coat is to wear on trips to Michigan. I wore it outside yesterday and nearly died of the heat. I had to wear it unzipped and unbuttoned. I think it will be just right in MI! It is just barely below freezing here, so it isn't terribly cold - but still treacherous driving for the uninitiated.

Now, since I am home with no pressing activities to do, I should be able to make myself some "thoughtful" meals. And maybe do a little laundry...

meowee
12-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Now that I'm retired and can more or less pick when I have to go out, I seldom wear my down-filled coat anymore. They are heaven if it is really cold and especially if it's cold and windy.

It's snowing here . . . it's been snowing almost all day and the long term forecast is calling for some snow just about every day for the next week. Knew it would eventally decide to make up for lost time. :lol: At least it's fairly gentle and is falling straight down; i.e., no blizzard-like winds.

BTW . . . when it's cold enough for a down-filled coat it's usually too cold to snow.

ArtCat
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
We have a big snow storm coming, too- I think they're predicting snow every day through Christmas! that's OK, it's a good way to force me to exercise.

I find it so much harder to eat OP when it's so cold and snowy- I just gravitate towards the carbs! I need to get a bunch of soup made to head that off.

I have a lumpectomy tomorrow morning, so I'm a little worried about that. Wish me luck and good results!

meowee
12-18-2008, 11:10 AM
:crossed: . . . everything will be fine, LIZ . . . :hug:

judipurple
12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Lifting you up in prayer - :hug:

ArtCat
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you! The procedure went well, and I'm pretty sore today, but am thankful for Vicodin! I should get the test results in 4 days, but between the weekend and Christmas, that probably means Friday.

In the meantime the doctor said to get lots of fiber to counteract the Vicodin, so that puts me right OP!

judipurple
12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
:present::xcheer::han::newyear::tree::celebrate:

Happiest Holidays to One & All !!!!

ArtCat
12-25-2008, 01:24 AM
:snow4:
Happy Holidays to everyone!

meowee
12-25-2008, 07:39 AM
:gift2: May today bring you every joy you've hoped for . . . :grouphug:

judipurple
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Many wishes for love, happiness, successes and a grand and glorious New Year!!!

:grouphug: :cloud9: :high: :newyear: :celebrate:

ArtCat
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Finally got my test results, and they showed no cancer present, so that's good news!

I did terrible on my diet with the kids and company here, so now I'm getting geared up to get back OP. I haven't officially weighed in yet. How did everyone else do?

judipurple
01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
:hug: Oh, Liz, that's great news!!!!!:carrot: Major sigh of relief, no?

And, yes, the numbers have crept up a wee bit (about 2-3 pounds) - I took a much closer look at my intake, and even on days I thought I was doing well, I was actually consuming numbers closer to maintenance...:kickbutt: I don't even want to think how I was doing on the "loosey, goosey" days...:?:

Just got back from the store, with loads of fresh veggies, fish and fruit. Gotta get back on the wagon - not just being dragged along behind it!

gailr42
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Liz, I am so pleased for you. Stuff like that is scarry.

My DH has been having some medical problems - he is very anemic for some reason and now he has a pinched nerve in his shoulder. I have been pretty worried about him. We have some follow up medical appointments which is a relief. Seems like all the doctors took the holidays off.

Basically, I have been soothing myself with food. Not good, I know. I figure if I at least get back to reading and posting here, I will have a better chance of getting back on plan. I am going to have to hide all the left over goodies from myself!

The store had Gala apples on sale for $.69/lb today, so I got 10lbs. That's a good start, anyway.

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

ArtCat
01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
It looks like somehow I got away without any weight gain. I have no idea how- I ate plenty!

I realize that I need to find a way to fit some serious exercise in, and with the cold weather and snow here it's just too hard to get out and walk consistently. Have any of you used a mini- trampoline or those little stair-stepping things that you can do in front of the TV? We don't have the space or money for a real treadmill or stair-stepper, and I know I could fit something in while I sit and watch the news at least! I'm interested in knowing if either of those work for anyone.

judipurple
01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
This Christmas we got the kids a Wii system, and Dh got me a WiiFit. As it turns out, we all use it! I like that the step is small, and it doesn't take much space in our living room. I've been using it since the day after Christmas...I know it's making a difference, but not much change on the scale or measuring tape - yet. As it's only been a couple weeks (after eating poorly for several weeks and no exercise since September), I know it's a matter of time before the losses kick into gear (I hope, I hope).

I also bought a large exercise ball ($10 at Walmart), which I spend time bouncing on and sitting on while at the computer and watching TV - I figure it can't hurt, no?

willow650
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Finally got my test results, and they showed no cancer present, so that's good news!

Thats is awesome news!!

willow650
01-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I have been sort of doing the volume thing. I dont know too much about it but I make sure I have at least 2 cups of veggies and no more than 3 to 4 cups of food at dinner(biggest meal)and 2 to 3 cups at breakfast and lunch. I believe how much food yet how little calories this is working out to be. I am learning that by doing this I have to work to get up to 1500 cals which is kind of my goal range. Who know that filling up on veggies made it hard to over eat??...lol

meowee
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi there everybody . . . the Twelve Days of Christmas brought the same nasty little gift to me on every one of them . . . no Internet Connection. :mad:

Hopefully it is back to stay and over the next couple of days I'll be able to get caught up on all my reading in a few places around 3FC.

:grouphug: and I'll see you tomorrow . . . :crossed:

gailr42
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I have one of those little stair-step thingies. I will try to find it on the web - just a sec.....
http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Stepper-Resistance/dp/B0016BQFSS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1231375337&sr=8-3
This isn't exactly the same as mine, but close. I really liked it and used it a lot until I started having trouble with my knees. I keep thinking that if I loose a bit more, my knees won't hurt...

ArtCat
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
That's exactly what I was looking at, Gail. I think it might be a better choice than the mini-tramp since you can adjust the tension. A store by me has it for $40 this week- different brand I think, but the same concept. My top choice would be the Wiifit, but there's some money involved in that one. By the way, judipurple- congrats on such a thoughtful DH! I would say that he thought of the perfect gift.

Welcome back, Meowee, to the land of the living...

judipurple
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
>>snort<<:lol3:

Liz- Thanks for the kind wishes -but- don't give the ol'boy too much credit - I walked him up to the counter at Walmart, showed him the box and said "That's what I want for Christmas!" :dizzy: He's really sweet, but when it comes to choosing gifts, he can be kinda fuzzy.

ArtCat
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I understand completely and withdraw my compliment, judi. It's all good as long as it all turned out OK, I guess.

Does anybody have any new new, great recipes or ideas? I need to get inspired.

meowee
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Another storm has come and gone . . . this is getting tiresome and it's only the early past of January. :dizzy:

Finally seem to have gotten back on track with the eating at least so looking forward to better things in that department at least.

gailr42
01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Everything I have tried lately is kind of "meh". I am going to have a fancy salad and some seared scallops with raspberry sauce for lunch. My DH *****es about the smell of anything from the ocean, but he is out doing errands and I can eat scallops.

judipurple
01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I had an inspiration - gingerbread pancakes. I got the idea from the sign outside a local diner, and applied it to the oatmeal/egg white/cottage cheese pancake recipe I got from 3FC. I add cinnamon, allspice, ground cloves, and grated fresh ginger, 1/2 teaspoon molasses (for flavor), and a 1/2 packet sweetener. I think I'll add powdered ginger next time for a bit more *punch* in the flavor, or perhaps some minced candied ginger... :chin:

After cooking, I spread some apple butter on each one and yum, easy, and filling.

The snow has begun, and I started cooking some veggie soup. Good day for soup. Stay warm & dry, everyone!!!

meowee
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi there . . . :wave:

JUDI . . . I use that kind of spicing in both the protein pancakes and in good old oatmeal and I add chopped apple to both recipes too . . . yummmmmy.

We had a gorgeous sunrise this morning but the sun faded away quickly and pretty soon I imagine the lastest storm will start. Oh well . . . :shrug:

meowee
01-12-2009, 08:51 AM
He LOLA and :welcome: I love Volumetrics a lot . . . feeling full is a need for me too. Afraid I've never been good with 'eat smaller portions' so it's great to be able to fill up with lots of vegetables and nice (especially at this time of year) warming soups. Get the book because I think you'll find it's not a restrictive plan at all.

Good Morning to everybody else, too . . . :grouphug:

Another six inches of fresh snow overnight but at least there were no power outages reported across the entire Province and that's definitely good news for a change.

I seem to be full of vim and vigour this morning so I'd better 'do my 3FC rounds' and then get myself out to the grocery store before I lose the initiative. :lol:

Have a great day . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
01-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi Lola- I'd suggest checking the book out of your local library and giving it a look- that's what I did, and I ended up buying it later. Volumetrics has made a big difference for me- it helps me think twice about what I put in my mouth, and gives me a lot of options for feeling just as full for less calories.

meowee
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM

ArtCat
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Lola- It's also about choosing the foods with the higher water content which fill you up with less calories, too. The book shows you how to calculate the ED (energy density) of foods and shows you how to pick the lowest ones. There's two books- the first is more scientific and explains the concepts behind Volumetrics, while the second is not as deep and offers more recipes. Both offer recipes and ideas.
If you're thinking of ordering the book, Meowee has mentioned before that if you order if through the 3FC site, they get some money somehow. You can double check that with her.

I'm glad to hear that the book's on a waiting list at the library- it's good that the word gets out about this healthier, easier way to eat. Now if I can just get my exercise stuff in order...

meowee
01-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh my it is cold . . . :brr:

judipurple
01-16-2009, 10:10 PM
yup - us too. Seven below this morning....:eek:below zero!!! now we're at zero, and the night is still young! But, got both woodstoves cranking out the BTU's, and it's quite comfy.

meowee
01-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Yesterday our high was -25C / -10F. Today it is supposed to be even colder and the wind is picking up a little just to add in some wind chill. Hey at least it is beautiful and sunny. :lol:

ArtCat
01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
We're cold here in Michigan, too, but not as cold as you, Meowee!
I shoveled snow yesterday, and man it was cold! At least it wasn't too breezy.

meowee
01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh gee, where is everybody??????

ArtCat
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I know, it's been pretty quiet lately...

Jeannette311
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking of trying this. I thought I was doing well with what I was doing but now that I laid it all before me and LOOKED at the numbers...

I'm a good eater. I need to feel full, so I think I'll give it a try. Does this work with calorie counting as well? Can they go hand in hand?

judipurple
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Jeanette - Definitely! I found it's a great combo, and it really helps to stay on program if I feel satisfied. I started this journey a couple years ago with just keeping track of calories in a journal, but I found myself hungry and not as honest with my numbers as I should be. In February of '08, I found Volumetrics and it has helped me stay on track. All that combined with the support of 3FC has been just what I've needed - I still have another 20+ to go, but with thirty pounds lost, I am very happy at this point.

If you don't have the books yet, you can probably get them at your local library. Let us know what you think and how you're doing with it.

Jeannette311
01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Jeanette - Definitely! I found it's a great combo, and it really helps to stay on program if I feel satisfied. I started this journey a couple years ago with just keeping track of calories in a journal, but I found myself hungry and not as honest with my numbers as I should be. In February of '08, I found Volumetrics and it has helped me stay on track. All that combined with the support of 3FC has been just what I've needed - I still have another 20+ to go, but with thirty pounds lost, I am very happy at this point.

If you don't have the books yet, you can probably get them at your local library. Let us know what you think and how you're doing with it.
Thanks! I'm going to see if my library has them, and if not, I'll go ahead and just buy them.

meowee
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

ArtCat
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Welcome Jeannette!

I've been doing really well with my breakfasts lately, so I thought I'd post it. This is what I usually eat every morning, so I've made it a healthy habit. I take about 1/4 cup oats, shake on some cinnamon, add 1/2 - 1 cup frozen berries, a small handful of walnuts and pour skim milk on it. I microwave it for 3 minutes, and then it's done! This way I have oats and cinnamon to fight cholesterol, fruits to add good fiber and vitamins, walnuts to add good oil and protein, and milk to add calcium. I wash it all down with green tea. It really fills me up and helps me to not snack as much before lunch.
It's usually downhill from lunch on, but at least I feel good about how I start my day!

Jeannette311
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
ArtCat, that's really helpful! Can I use instant oatmeal? I've got a ton of kashi oatmeal packets I need to use.

ArtCat
01-23-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't see why not- I just use the bulk stuff because it's cheaper, and I choose the less processed for more fiber.

Jeannette311
01-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks, ArtCat!

meowee
01-25-2009, 08:22 AM

Sunny and very cold in northeastern Nova Scotia this morning. How are things in your 'neck of the woods'?

judipurple
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
A rip-roarin' 12 degrees 1st thing this AM. The kids camped with the scouts this weekend - brrrrr - luckily for them, it was in a cabin equipped with a woodstove - so they were toasty - compared to the the tent camping they did back in November when it was in the low teens overnite. :brr:

Been a rough weekend calorically - went out to dinner on friday to the 99 rest. - figured that the combo meal of shrimp and salmon was a "safe" choice...even asked for broccoli and asparagus for my sides...but the total came to more than 800 calories!!!! Then a dinner party at my house last night - I was careful to make good choices for the appetizers and dinner - but between three glasses of wine and a cheesecake dessert our guests brought...well, let's just say I don't wanna know the specifics (I like here in the land of denial!).

But I came up with a Volumetric-type appetizer. I made kind of a spring roll - using a high-fiber, lo-cal wrap. I cut up chinese cabbage, cucumber, red pepper, carrots, daikon radish and chives into 4" lengths, and rolled them up in the wraps, then cut them on the diagonal. I served it with a chinese - style dipping sauce and some wasabi on the side - yummy and a good way to fill up with few calories ( the wraps were only 90 cals each). I am not sure where to find the rice-paper wraps that were suggested for spring rolls, but it was good anyhow!

ArtCat
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
That sounds really good, judi, but a lot of work! I know what you mean about the wine and then dessert- I'm going to have dinner out with the girls tonight, and I always make good food choices, but it's the wine to go along with it that gets me! At least a little is good for you...

It's cold here, about 11 degrees. Sure makes it almost impossible to go exercise outside!

I just gave my cats catnip and they ran around and played like crazy. Wish there was something I could smell that would make me exercise a lot!

meowee
01-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi there . . . :wave:

I could use a catnip fix too. :lol: My back and ankle are still sore, but at least they've managed to get to a niggly level instead of the stay flat on your back in bed range.

It's mighty cold here too at -20C/-4F. :brr: The trade off, of course, is that it is beautiful and sunny.

Have a good one, gang . . . :carrot:

gailr42
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I think I saw that one of the meal delivery diets was incorporating volumetric principles - Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem? I also saw that WW is touting some new info about foods that make you feel full. They didn't cite Barbara Rolls, but I think that is where they are coming from. I am really a believer. Now if I could just get myself to eat a pile of yummy healthy salad instead of a can of Danish Butter cookies......

I have not been doing that great with my eating. I have decided that I need to eat more in the morning. I have been eating oatmeal and a poached egg on a small piece of dry toast. This seems to help a little. I don't know what is going on with me. I just seem to be wanting to eat all the time to soothe myself. I am not sure why I need so much soothing - LOL. My dh is having some medical problems, but he seems to be doing fine now.

We went to Costco the other day and I got six heads of Romaine lettuce. I am having the romaine/blueberry/feta salad tonight with some leftover chicken cacciatore.

meowee
01-26-2009, 08:42 PM
That's Nutrisystem although I don't know if that's giving credit to Volumetrics directly or just coining a phrase (i.e., volumetrics with a little "v").

Barbara Rolls was one of the original developers of the WW Core Program and the latest 'new' program is just a rework of Core but with (at long last) more emphasis on Volumetrics but still no acknowledgement of Rolls involvement. :shrug:

meowee
01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Where are you all hiding . . . ?????

gailr42
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, I am at work eating a late lunch. White beans cooked with just a touch of lean ham for flavor. Romaine with frozen raspberries and blueberries topped with Trader Joe's low fat raspberry salad dressing. One orange, a small bunch of grapes, celery sticks and about one Tbs snack mix. Except for the big pile of romaine, and a fairly hefty orange, all the rest is in very small servings.

My DH's brother gave us oranges, grapefruit and lemons off his trees. The oranges are huge even after removing a half inch thick rind. I squeezed all the lemons this morning and put the juice in ice cube trays to freeze. I like the frozen lemon juice better than any of the lemon juice you can buy.

In general, we have had a very mild winter, even for us. However, yesterday it snowed in the Sierra and the Panamint mountains. I came out of work and I could see all the snow. Really far from us, but it still makes it cold here. Also, the Canada geese are passing through on their way back north. There is something about the area that makes a really good stop-over for them. I have never heard of them getting mixed up with a Navy jet.

judipurple
01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm here, awaiting the next snowstorm scheduled for arrival tonight - probably means a day off for me & the bus. Made a big ol' pot of soup for dinner - I had a bunch of kale, a large sweet potato, roasted red peppers, some leftover garbanzo beans from a batch of hummus (I always cook too much), some chicken sausage. I added some chicken broth, carrots, green beans, onion, garlic,and, ta-da - dinner. The sweet potato made it very filling.

We're still here, meowee - just lurking and meandering in and out.;)

meowee
01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi . . .

Just want to say a great big THANKS to you JUDI -- your storm is coming to us tonight -- 8 to 10 inches of snow, then freezing rain as the temperatures warm up to above freezing tomorrow morning. Guess it's winter.

Better hurry around to a few more 3FC places so I can then get into the shower and out for some staples -- sweet potatoes are on my list -- before the storm starts.

Stay warm, Chickies . . . :grouphug:

judipurple
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Just sharing the wealth, Meowee!!! Delighted to be of service ;) We've gotten about 5 inches thus far, and it's still coming down...Can't get out to the store, but there's plenty here - got a 1/2 turkey breast defrosting, and some turkey wings to make broth & gravy. Just gonna hunker down, keep the woodstoves cranking, and send the boys out periodically to shovel and get outta my hair!:snow4:

gailr42
01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I am so grateful that I don't have to deal with your terrible weather!!!!

I just ate a bowl of very comforting lentil/barley soup even though it is above freezing - by about 20degrees.

The visiting geese are shown on the front page of our local paper. Guess not too much exciting is happening around here. LOL.

meowee
01-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Believe me, we don't have any birds hopping around today. They would need to be wearing ice skates. :lol:

meowee
02-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey . . . it's February . . . come on out and play . . . :grouphug:

Jeannette311
02-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Going to try to head to the library this coming weekend to scope out the books!

judipurple
02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
February?!?!??? What on earth happened to January??? Dangit - I musta blinked again...

ArtCat
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I know how you feel, Judi! We could use a little sunshine around here- that would help things quite a bit! Or me, at least. Does anyone know if those full-spectrum anti- SAD lights work?

meowee
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
We have sun . . . wish I could send you some. No first-hand knowledge, but everything I've read says those SAD lights work wonders.

Speaking of sun, our groundhog obviously saw his shadow. :mad: Personally I'm betting on at least 8 (maybe more) weeks of Winter. We usually get at least one good snowfall in early April.

Oh well . . . try to have a good day, gang . . . :grouphug:

gailr42
02-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I made pizza from scratch for my superbowl supper. While pizza will never qualify as a diet food, I made it much lighter than the local pizzaria would make. Actually, real Italian pizza is lighter than what we usually get here. The crust is crispy and it is not as heavily covered with stuff.

I tried a new salad: Romaine, orange slices, a few pumpkin seeds and a few dried cranberries. I slice the orange over the romaine so the juice goes in the salad. When I am ready to eat, I spray the salad with a bit of olive oil and add salt and pepper. Looks pretty, tastes good - a little different.

judipurple
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Looks over here......and over there......
....looking under here......... and behind there.......can't find it!

........is it spring yet???.....anybody see it yet????.......

....sigh - guess I'll keep looking.....

meowee
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I know it's frozen under a foot or so of ice and snow around here . . . hope to find it by late April or early May. :s:

ArtCat
02-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm taking drastic steps here- I signed up for a program where you take 10,000 steps a day and on May 9 you walk in a 5K Community Walk. Of course, at the same time other people are running a 25K, but, hey, it's a start, right? I'm hoping this will break me out of my standstill. They're going to send me a pedometer, and then I can get started. I couldn't get my DH or anyone else to sign up with me, so I guess I'm going it alone.

gailr42
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow, Liz, you are an inspiration. I tried walking 10,000 steps and turns out it would take me months to walk that much. I really wondered at the time if I made some miscaluclation, because a friend told me that she walked 10,000 steps per day at her work. How long do you think it should take to walk 10,000steps?

I have been eating better than I was for a while, although I am still eating too much. I was reading the what do you eat for lunch thread, and I would starve to death on some of the menus.

I plan to go back to Italy in a couple of months, so maybe that will inspire me to loose some of the weight I have gained back.

My lunch today was a chicken salad sandwich, a big salad (orange/romaine), steamed asparagus with lemon juice, and a small apple. I used two slices of Orowheat "Master's Best" bread - a special treat. I got a sack full of small apples. From the packaging, it looks like they are intended for kids, but they are just right for me.

My breakfast was oatmeal. I have come to love my oatmeal in the morning.

ArtCat
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
They said that walking 10,000 steps was about equal to walking 5K, which I think is somewhere between 2 and 3 miles. Luckily, no one's checking, so I'm just aiming to get close every day. I haven't gotten my pedometer yet, though, so I'm not walking that much yet. That's kind of a bad sign, huh?

I love my morning oatmeal, too. When the weather's warmer, I switch to eating it uncooked, but in the winter it's warm and comforting.

Today, for some reason, it's unseasonably warm- in the 50's! So I'll be walking outside today!

meowee
02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Another oatmeal lover here and I like it hot winter or summer. :yes: Of course, I like giant salads no matter what the weather is doing too. One of our local markets has blueberries on special this week, so I'll be having a lot of those blueberry and feta cheese salads.

Off to get a haircut later this morning and still dithering over trying a little change of style. After all these years, the hair pretty much does what it wants to do anyway. :shrug: Wonder what I'll come home with. :lol:

Other than that, nothing much on my TODO list except buying kitty litter and salmon -- the salmon is for me.

meowee
02-12-2009, 10:29 AM

judipurple
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
still here...life has taken over (once again)...

ArtCat
02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Well, my Valentine's Day involved too much food and chocolate- how did everyone else's go?

I have my pedometer now, though, and am working on stepping big numbers!

meowee
02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Anybody out there???????

judipurple
02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
:brr:- more snow and cold here - will this winter never end?
:wave: - yeah, still here - :eating2:had a binge day yesterday, but kept the calorie count under 2000 (I think)(I hope!) - and now, back to our regularly scheduled program, keeping it under 1550!
:sunny: - and am glad to see the sun out - but w/o any heat, it's a tease.

judipurple
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
:wave: Just popping in - hope you all are healthy!

meowee
02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Glad to see another face . . . :wave:

meowee
03-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh well . . . it may be March but it still looks a lot like February around here. Please, please SPRING, come on. :crossed:

judipurple
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Meowee, are you in line to get that nasty storm heading up the east coast? They're saying we're gonna get up to 15 inches (or more) - I vote we start Spring - NOW!!! :brr:

meowee
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Absolutely it is heading our way . . . started snowing again just before sunset and the long term forecast is still for nasty stuff through until Wednesday. We just so love it when you guys decide to share with us like this. :lol:

meowee
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
The LION arrived -- we have a 'lovely' layer of fresh white snow. :s:

judipurple
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
yep - us, too....and there's more coming up the coast...joy,joy,joy. :dz:

ArtCat
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
We just have cold lately. I guess our March came in like a lamb...

I got another kitty last week, so there's been a lot of refereeing going on here lately! Now I have 3.

judipurple
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh, Liz, lucky you! We have two and the dog, and I would love to get a 3rd cat - whenever there's another critter added to the mix, it is never dull! Right now, we've got "the old lady", Sasquatch (double pawed) and the "psycho", a 2 y.o. orange whirlwind,:devil: Reuben "Rooster" Cogburn, whose main delight in life is to annoy, terrify and p-off:rollpin: the "old lady". Both cats think the sun sets and rises on the dog. Go figure.:dunno:

ArtCat
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
My middle cat was in love with our dog- she thought he was her mom, and would snuggle up to him and try to nurse from him. He died almost 2 years ago, and she just has never recovered, so we thought a new playmate might help. So far it seems to, and she's not nearly as bored and lonely. Our oldest cat likes to be left alone, so she's no help. This new one is almost a year old already, so he's playful, but not as annoying to the older cats as a kitten would be.

I thought three would be a lot of cats, but it's really not. Without a big dog, there's plenty of room for 3 slinky things. I forgot how many you have, Meowee, but I know it's a lot...

meowee
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Well -- you are half way -- :lol: -- I have six cats and each one has it's own personality.

When you have this many, you hardly ever see all of them at once. As I look around the room right now, I see three -- Purrecious, my avatar, the bossy calico; Blizzard the white DSH, who is just a really nice easy going guy, but tends to chew on things he shouldn't; and Mouse the gigantic (15 lb) grey and hairy thing who you never know if he will purr or hiss at you.

Currently elsewhere are the twins, Frick (aka Big Red) and Frack (aka TeenyWeeny), the purebred Bengals that often seem to be barely domesticated. :lol: I have friends that visit every week or so who say they've never even seen them. Sandy, DLH - a red tabby who's actually pretty beige - the youngest is probably asleep on the kitchen counter. He wouldn't want to miss a chance to get some people food or water fresh from a running tap. :shrug:

Other than the joy of watching cat-antics, it has been a dreadful day around here -- rain, rain, rain and a lot of the snow has been washed away. I'm lucky to be on top of a hill because there is a lot of flood risk around the area right now. Supposed to freeze up overnight and then tomorrow we might actuallhy see some sun.

ArtCat
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Meowee- are yours all indoor cats, or do some go outside?

meowee
03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
They are all indoor cats LIZ . . . a couple try to go out once in awhile and Mouse thinks he has accomplished something if he manages to get as far as the garage. :lol: Mostly they know they've got it good being indoors especially at this time of year.

It is cold and icey and we got about 1/2 inch of new snow just to hide the dangers of the icey roads I guess. At least there is some sporadic sun -- I'm very glad I don't have to go anywhere. :yes:

meowee
03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Anybody out there????

judipurple
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
:wave: yeah - popping in daily to see who else is visiting, but not always leaving footprints:running:

ArtCat
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Is anyone able to lose weight lately? I know what I'm doing wrong, but just can't seem to overcome it. I'm hoping that Spring will bring more success...

judipurple
03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Liz - I haven't been losing. I managed to get down to my posted weight after the holidays, but have been wavering up and down...I'm bouncing between 191+ and 193+...I saw the 190 for two days, and that's why it's "on the record". I've been snitching at chocolate and nibbling at bits of junk food. Not enough to start gaining, but enough to stall the losing. Probably averaging 1800+ calories on the "bad" days, if I were being 100% honest.:p

But, since I've been using the wiifit, the inches have been declining. My size 12s are starting to be a little loose in the thighs and the butt. And someday Spring will be here: I'll start walking again, get out to the garden and start that, and the fresh veggies and fruits will be more available at the stores....

I try during the winter months to do hummus and veggies, and eat lots of chinese cabbage, broccoli/cucumber slaw, and veggie soup. But these dark days, cold wet weather makes it difficult to get enthusiastic about much!

meowee
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm actually going the other way . . . after being stuck on 215 for 3 months, I managed 8 days (so far) being totally OP and saw 210.5 this morning . . . hope I can keep things together for a while longer. :crossed: I so want to get back into that new decade I saw for a fleeting glimpse way last September.

judipurple
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Excellent, meowee!!!!! Glad to hear of your success !!!:carrot:

ArtCat
03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, congrats meowee! Be sure to tell us when you officially move your ticker down!

I've been fluctuating between 191 and 193, but it's been so unstable that I don't dare move my ticker down. If I can get on the other side of 190 I'd feel confident enough about it, so I guess that's my short term goal.

meowee
03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I won't move my ticker until the end/beginning of the month. Like you LIZ, I bounce around so much and so rapidly I take nothing for granted. Guess it all boils down to my hatred of ever having to move it b ack up again. :lol:

Sockerton
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I have tried most of the recipes that interest me in the Volumetrics book. Is there another source - maybe a website - where I can find more recipes? I guess I can modify some of my favs with the principles in the book. But itís just so much easier having all the info in front of you.

meowee
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think so . . . do you have both of the books?

jivingandthriving
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi, didn't realize there was a Volumetrics thread....meowee, good to see you here. Firm believer in the process behind the book, and look forward to checking in here. I must make at least a gazillion soups during the winter to help with my weight control and loss....

Susan

meowee
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all and a special HI for you SUSAN . . . this thread has it's really active times and it's pretty quiet ones -- this seems to be a quiet one right now. :lol:

I love this philosophy but I fear an awful lot of our 3FC members seem to prefer the more detailed and wildly popular types of plans. :shrug:

ArtCat
03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I think the problem is that this plan is slow and steady, without the quick weight loss that everyone seems to want. I've been there, done that, and am now realizing that a slow and sensible weight loss plan is a better choice. I also realize that the choices I make every day determine how quickly I will lose weight, and lately I haven't been making the best choices. With spring and better weather coming, I'm determined to get things going again and MAKE progress happen, not just wait for it!

jivingandthriving
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I am with you ArtCat, I've tried it the quick way and always lose my umph...this time between the Beck Way of Eating and the philosophy behind Volumetrics, I'm feeling it's much more doable. Was up too early this am, did some cleaning and exercising, then went back to sleep until 9...woke to a nice phone call from my daughter and grandson telling me about 'raffes' and ''fants' at the zoo (he's 18 months). Such a nice way to wake. Got out of bed, planned my eating for the day, my exercise, played scrabble on line with some far off friends and am now going to hop to it.

have a good day!

meowee
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

I do know it's morning even though I'm not all too sure of the date. For some strange reason I've been thinking that tomorrow, the first official day of Spring, was the 22nd :shrug: Now that I've figured out that this is only the 19th, it's almost like getting an extra 2 days this month. :rofl:

Have a great Thursday, gang . . . :wave:

ArtCat
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Here's a link to a chart with the high/low pesticide use on veggies. I thought it might be important to us because of how many veggies we eat. I was bummed to see that some things I eat every day (like carrots) are high on the list. I usually can't afford to buy organic, but maybe I need to rethink that with some items. It seems like it's never just easy, you know?
http://www.foodnews.org/fulllist.php

meowee
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi there . . . officially this is the first day of SPRING . . . and here's a link to our new start for this glorious season . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167278 . . . see you over there, gang. :grouphug: