Weight and Resistance Training - December 08!

View Full Version : December 08!

Mel
12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Monday and a new month...the perfect "get back on track day". ;) And boy do I need it. Cardio this morning felt like something I'd never done before, even thought my last good cardio was only 3 days ago.

As trying a time of year this is for dieting, my goal is to get 4-5 pounds off by Christmas. Since I'm probably carrying at least 2 bloat pounds from Thanksgiving and having days off, that should be doable.

How is everyone? Anyone getting snow dumped on them?

Mel

Lydia227
12-01-2008, 08:58 AM
So far no snow. :yay: Although they are predicting just a dusting throughout the day. It's supposed to be above 35 degrees so I'm not really concerned.

Big "remove the tooth that isn't loose" day for DS1. I feel bad for the little guy this is the fourth time he has had to have this done. Oh the joy.

Cardio done. Squats, squats and more of those this morning. Along with a few deadlifts and core work. I'm meeting a friend this morning to do some outdoor walking as well.

Mel, good luck with your goal for loss. I'm up a little too. Too many carbs of course. Nothing that a really good week of focused clean eating won't take care of. Here's to a week of losing five pounds of water. :lol:

Have a great morning everyone. :coffee:

sportmom
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Happy December all!

I'm thrilled to finally be able to say........

I've gone 6 months without a new kidney stone!!!!! :yay: Now this may seem like a huh? moment to most, but the truth is, the overwhelming odds are that once a victim of them, you will get more. Unless you make some serious lifestyle changes, which I've done. May 22 was my last attack and I had my surgery on May 29. I've been literally holding my breath these last 2 weeks and joyously greeting each morning that I awoke without pain. Seriously! It's THAT bad. A new month, December 1, so I feel it's safe to say. And the big deal is that I didn't make it to 6 months between episode 1 and 2, so for me, this is huge. I hope this means I've figured it out and can be free of them from now on. (someone knock on some wood for me, will ya? :club:)

In other good news, EZ put up a turkey trot challenge, and I get to report that I completed my first 5K ever!!! How's that for middle age? It was on my treadmill and it wasn't the best time ever, but still a major accomplishment. Unfortunately, I got a calf cramp with about 5 mins to go that I tried to work thru, and it has seized up on me and stretching afterward on the stair seemed to make it worse. I'm elevating and icing it right now and will wrap it in about an hour. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :crossed:

Anyway, here's the original post and some pix from the TTThread.

Lydia, sorry to hear about your DS. WHy does this keep happening to him? Is this part of his orthodontia treatment? I think I had 2 pulled myself for that but we've been delayed on DD getting hers started. Even at 9, her last 6yo molar isn't in yet & they won't start them until that is in apparently!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Turkey Trot Done! My FIRST 5K ever - in my life - at midlife!!! 48.29

I walked quickly mostly at 3.8 range, did 3 sprints, one at 4.5 for 3 mins, then 5.0 for 2 mins (too much bounce going on tho), and then again at 4.5 for FOUR minutes - my longest! Ended strong with a duck walk at 4.0 to get it done under 49 - my goal. Next time will be 45:00 even.

oops, before I say that, when IS the next time?!? lol :o

Anyway, it felt great and I still FEEL great! Here are some photos to prove it.

Thanks EZ for putting this challenge together!! :hug:

1. The midway point - not quite sure this is going to work out...........
2. The results
3. Thumbs up - I DID IT!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to view image

nelie
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Fran - Congrats!

As for me, I feel like my body is breaking down on me. So on Friday, I was supposed to run 2 miles. I ended up running about 1.5 miles and walking about .8 miles. My calf cramped and seized up on me near the end and its hurt ever since!

I was supposed to run 2.5 miles yesterday but calf was still hurting a little AND I was feeling tired. This morning I woke up exhausted. I've been feeling quasi sick for 2-3 weeks. I'm never full on sick but I'm also hardly ever full on well.

sportmom
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Nelie, sorry to hear of your borderline sickness. I noticed I was perpetually cold and tired all before TG. Finally during the last 4 days I guess I ate enough with the holiday that I felt good for once. Makes me wonder if I was working out too much/getting enough calories. Sorry to hear too that we are the injury calf sisters. Your update about yours still hurting did not make me happy. Hope you find some relief soon.

WaterRat
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Put me on the list of sickies! I saw a walk-in doc for a UTI on 11/23, took 7 days of antibiotics, and woke up this morning feeling like I did on the first day. Went to my regular doc, and lo and behold, still infected. New drugs, and for longer. Boo. At least I know why I'm still feeling draggy. I slept at least 9 hours each night of the long weekend. And I feel like I could go to bed now for the night.

Great job on the 5K Fran. ANd on passing (whoops!) the 6 month mark. :)

AnneWonders
12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, I started to put NRLW on my workout plan, but I'm not allowed until at least next Wednesday. I just joined my Y and have access to a gym at work, so am planning to just do something. I am so frustrated, and it is hard to get my head around the abrupt change in plans when I was just getting back on a roll. Sigh. Onward.

Anybody have any experience with FitLinxx?

Pat, hope you feel better soon!

Fran, I've had a couple of kidney stones myself (while pregnant) and know how much they hurt. I'm really glad it has been a while for you.

Nelie, are you overtraining? Do you need to take a couple easy weeks?

Lydia, ouch for your DS!

Mel, I think this is a good time of year to focus on weight loss, since it makes passing up all the junky food so much easier than if you are "just" maintaining.

Anne

Tomato
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Get well soon to all you sickies! :wave:

Mel, I have a hard time believing that you somehow gained a few pounds. But I will have to be a bit more careful about my eating as well. The last week or so I slipped a few times (returning home very late at night on a few nights with nothing "ready to eat" at home so there were a few McD's sandwiches (:cry:) - I do wish I was one of those chicks who get uncomfortable after eating junk food but my stomach just continues to love it.

After over 2 weeks of sleeping absolutely terribly at night (waking up at night and not being able to go back to sleep for hours) I finally slept well last night and I feel like a new person. yay!

Monday is my "off" day - I did laundry and cooked some food so I should be good for being at the gym each day for the rest of the week. 1 hour of Zumba tonight - ole!!!!

sportmom
12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Yea! :yay: My calf is better! I swear by RICE'ing now! I uncompressed it for sleeping and by morning could walk normally again. I'm still taking it easy tho - no treadmilling today, but did get in a FBWO which included step-ups.

Pat, I'm sorry for your uti's. My sister has been dealing with these for the first time in her life and attributes it to hormonal changes from her stage of life, so she is drinking as much water as me these days. I pass that on in case it helps. Hopefully they tested you again, bc i'll just share that my first kidney stones last october were treated initially as UTI's. In my case tho, they both occurred on weekends and so i was treated over the phone without giving a sample.

Anne, stones while pg! :faint: I think that is the ONLY thing that could be worse than stones surgery. Strong you for getting thru that in one piece.

Felt so hot, truck-run-over fatigued last nite, couldn't decide if I was getting sick or it was post 5K achies (silly, I know, it wasn't like it was a 1/2 marathon!) Advil didn't even help. I finally decided it had been a week since my last fbwo and that was probably why my muscles hurt - they needed to be worked. I went to bed early under the electric blanky and waited til this morning hoping I would be able to workout. My kids have been sick mildly 3 times already this fall with colds/upper resp. icks, and I've dodged them all. This is a big change for me, the former germ magnet. :yes:

nelie
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
My calf is doing better although its a bit sore today after I did 34 minutes on the elliptical last night. I also had my physical therapist mess with it a bit when I went yesterday.

Soo... It looks like no running tomorrow and I may walk my entire 5k on Saturday :(

kittycat40
12-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey there chicks! I do hope all injuries and ailments are on the upswing.

My report is that I am consistently feeling achey somewhere due to upper and lower body workouts on various days recently.

Thanksgiving threw my workouts for a little loop. It's just so easy to stop good habits and pick up bad ones!!

But I'm back to workin' it and look forward to growing some muscles :)

Mel
12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
:wave: Fran, congratulations on 6 months stone free. After watching my dh's pain, I can understand what a relief that milestone is. He is at 2 years and a few months :carrot:

Yesterday I did an extra short run after I got home from work. I think I may add double cardio a few days a week to try to shake things up. I really can't change my lifting due to the "no sweat" issue, but I can add cardio at home.

Tomato- Maintenance is a minute-by-minute struggle for me. I work really hard, but I could easily gain back all the weight. I think most people who are in my shoes would say nearly the same thing. That's why gaining back ANY terrifies me, and why I work so hard. At 5'2" and 54 years old, it is very easy to gain, and any gain is visible.

Cardio done, back and chest at the gym. I have a semi-mandatory "Talbots party" tonight where I hope to neither eat, drink or buy. Ugh.

Mel

Lydia227
12-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Ugh. Maintenance and weightloss. I was thinking about this during my cardio too. I've been thinking about how I initially lost the weight and why I've kind of stopped just ten or twelve pounds from my goal. Without all the psychology wrapped around it my habits have been an eating style that reflects about 85% of the consistency I used while losing. When I need to lose I am able to jump back into loss mode but for some reason I just haven't stayed there long enough to get passed my 126 mark. Perhaps this needs to be something for me to evaluate for the upcoming year.

Mel: Like you, I am also considering another at home cardio session. Even if it's just within 15 minute intervals. Just to bank a little extra activity right now. You know, it's funny with my bike set up in the basement I feel like I now have a license to eat more. :nono: Yet, I have to put those padded shorts on and head downstairs for a real session. :o

Fran! I :love: your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing with us. You look so happy even when you thought you weren't going to make it. :hug: Nice display screen too! I'm reading a book right now that refers to the importance of Flow. Perhaps this may apply to your 5K. I know it applied to my crazy adventures this past summer. Flow. This is a term developed by psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Don't ever ask me to pronounce that correctly. He has written a book called Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. Within this book he writes about the importance of a mindful challenge. That true optimal experiences that produce the greatest enjoyment are based upon a mindful challenge that requires deep concentration. Of course this applies to many goals we may strive for ourselves but also very much during exercise. So Fran, did you have an optimal experience three quarters of the way through that workout and at the end once you realized you were going to accomplish this for yourself? Within his book he states:

The pursuit of a goal brings order in awareness because the person must concentrate attention on the task at hand and momentarily forget everything else. hmmmm. These periods of struggling to overcome challenges are what people find to be the most enjoyable times of their lives. Yep, I love to share my fitness accomplishments with anyone willing to stand still long enough By stretching skills, by reaching toward higher challenges, such a person becomes an increasingly extraordinary individual. See, there's hope for all of us. Who would have guessed we could glean all of this from a really good workout?

Hope everyone else is feeling better soon. Not having access to your workout "flow" can make life pretty miserable. Fortunately, it's only short term.

I had a not so optimal experience this morning and I am happy to go home with all my teeth in place. :doh: I over fatigued my upper body. Let's begin there. When I attempted to raise the Oly bar to put it back on the rack from the floor I underestimated it's weight once I got it to halfway up my chest, it hit the railing that circles the entire fitness area. Yep, it made a huge noise that even I could hear over my headphones. If that were enough I then banged it when trying to place it back up to the stays on the rack (by accident...again.) and it kicked back and hit my lower lip. I just felt it and I think my chin took most of the impact. Thankfully no blood, no bruises, no loose teeth. It did wake me up at 6:00am though. :lol: ~sigh~ I'm such a dork.

Enjoy the day everyone!

Tomato
12-04-2008, 02:00 PM
The thought of maintenance scares me. Who would have thought that losing weight could be so much fun. :dunno:
Theoretically, I have only 8 more pounds to lose to reach my goal, even though the said goal was set when I had really no idea how much weight I should lose. I can tell it will be require more than just 8 lbs to get rid of the blubber that is covering my abdominal section; and even more will be required to drop my body fat by almost 4%. (Seriously, I have no idea how midwife managed to squeeze hers down to just 14%).

My worst problem is my insomnia right now. I sleep very poorly, waking up each night at least once and staying up & wide awake for hours. I don't feel very productive at work nor at the gym. :faint: No idea how to break the voodoo (it can't possibly be anything else).

As of next week, I will try to move my weight lifting sessions to the early a.m. to see if it will with the sleep somewhat. I completed my three sessions with the cute trainer (yesterday). I will miss that kiddo, he really was cute and we had fun. We argued about something last night (mock-argued) and I said "You are supposed to motivate me!"; and he says "You are already over-motivated, I have to calm you down." LOL :lol:

Zumba tonight, legs tomorrow. I started doing Smith machine squats and they're killing both my quads as well as the area behind my neck where the bar sits (even with the foam noodle on).
I am such a whiner today, eh? :sp::sorry:

sportmom
12-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Lydia, it's funny that you posted that about the journey, because yes, I have been getting satisfaction from the challenge. And not just on the treadmill, but on the journey. It's like I have this secret resolve or commitment, I don't know. But over the weekend we were in a mega retailer walking around and I just HAD to go look over the christmas candies display - all the junk I used to end up head down in - the chocolates, tins of cookies, etc. I was drawn there, I had to look, but almost as if to go thru the exercise of being better than them, so that I could physically decide to walk away. I must have looked so odd bc I was walking thru the little displays and really intently looking down at the pkgs as if I was going to buy but my brain said, 'nope, none of these really taste good.' I sense it turning in to one-upmanship in the grocery store too as I have to look at what other people are buying, what my dh will get, etc., and have that little brain conversation where my brain is telling ME (not the reverse) that that stuff is crap. It's been quite weird. It's me against the world, me and my secret, or whatever you want to call it. But having this fire in my heart gives me pleasure, yes.

Pat - how are you feeling right now? Better yet? I hope.

Lydia227
12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
It's like I have this secret resolve or commitment, I don't know....and have that little brain conversation where my brain is telling ME (not the reverse) that that stuff is crap. It's been quite weird. It's me against the world, me and my secret, or whatever you want to call it. But having this fire in my heart gives me pleasure, yes.

Fran: This is a great description of the experience. It is like a secret for yourself. I tend to not share it with others because I don't want to appear to be judgmental or somehow superior because of my own choices and experiences. I will talk about it though if the situation is appropriate and then very carefully. It is true that after an absence from many of the convenience foods, packaged snacks, and inexpensive candies the taste is rather disappointing when we do choose to indulge. It just doesn't compare with the memory of how satisfying that particular food or snack was before we changed our habits. And finally, the packaged foods just do not begin to address the nutritional needs we have especially as we continue to expand our fitness goals and expectations. Oh, and the part about how your brain is telling you that it's not good enough for you. True! So True! This is part of the remapping our mind goes through as we develop and incorporate new habits into our lives. Just like negative thoughts we can have about ourselves or our habits we can also develop positive ones and they can run through our minds developing grooves that become even more ingrained as we continue to process them over and over. After that, it becomes second nature. Don't even talk to me about how waxy a common chocolate bar tastes to me. Give me 70% to 80% cocoa Swiss chocolate or forget about it.:devil: Fran, enjoy your secret journey. :hug: However, a word of caution. I don't know how permanent this experience is if we relax our expectations and begin to incorporate our previous food/snacks or lower levels of activity instead of the cleaner foods and intentional exercise. I think that just as we can develop tastes for only the better things we can also revert back to the others if we allow our tastes to change once again. So, in my overall thoughts I look at this whole thing as a continuum I'm moving toward something without needing or expecting to return to those Sunday mornings with a salt bagel and a large mocha iced coffee. And, I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot because of it. Nope, I can move this body in so many ways that the whole bagel and frozen coffee thing kind of looses it's appeal. Not to mention the sudden flashbacks of the clothes I used to wear while sitting in the coffee shop that always felt like it had it's too small tables way too close to each other to accommodate my thicker thighs and tush. :s:

Have a great morning everyone. :coffee: (green tea) :lol:

elisa822
12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow does time fly! I can't believe the date on the calendar. We're still lucky enough to have no snow on the ground, but that is supposed to change this weekend! :(

I feel like I have nothing new to report. Work's busy, food is good during the week, not great on the weekends and I'm just holding my own with the workouts. Nothing too great nothing too bad!

The good is that I finally bought the BFL book...not so much for the whole program but just because I've heard good things about the workout part of the book. I need to try to work in a few new things so we'll see. The bad is that this weekend starts my holiday baking. Yes, it's bad. Yes, it's a lot of butter and other wonderful things ;) but I really enjoy it and there's something about having hundreds of cookies in my freezer! I have lots of gum ready to help me not too snack on too many.

My goal for this December, same as last year, is to just not gain weight. This simple goal worked well for me last year in letting me enjoy, while still keeping me in check.

I guess I've rambled enough...keep up all your great posts. They're often thought provoking, inspiring and also surprisingly often like the've been taken right from my thoughts. but so much more eloquent.

Fran - great job on the 5k and congrats on the no kidney stones!!

Tomato - I second what Mel said...maintenance is a constant struggle, but don't take that in a bad way. It's so much better than the alternative and worth every minute.

Lydia - like you, I've also struggled just short of goal. I've tried re-focusing, I've tried more extreme measures and I get within maybe one pound and then jump back up about 5 pounds. I've had to really consider (and still consider today) that maybe where I am is my goal. Maybe not but if it is, I guess it's okay (mostly ;) )

Have a great weekend everyone!

:D

sportmom
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Lydia, wow, I'm glad you confirmed that for me. I feel like I'm "nailing" this whole thing when I get fueled up on "that feeling" yet it would be impossible to explain to anyone else. I've esp learned that I cannot recruit dh - my voice on the subject is apparently like a sceetch to him which he tunes out. The best route is to do our thing, let people notice in their own time, and then if they want information, give it to them in small doses.

I totally think that if we slip in our mental plan or physical plan we can landslide right back, bc I've done it. I remember thinking last time - wow, I've figured it out, I can eat right and exercise and it WORKS - I lose weight!! At the time I didn't know I was setting myself up for a major problem (stones) but now I'm doing the same with real food and not overdosing on the pp, so :crossed: this time's a winner!

nelie
12-06-2008, 04:24 PM
So I'm here to report on my 5k.

Well I've been having issues with my calf so I've been resting it and doing the elliptical.

Well as soon as I started running today, my calf flared up. I was trying to pace myself but found out it hurt more going slow. After 3/4 mile, I had to walk and then walked and ran for parts of it. I ended up finishing around 43 minutes, 199 out of 239. After the 5k, I could barely walk. I got a massage at the event but limped along.

Right now I'm icing. I'll ice it a couple more times today. I have to say that I am proud I finished and I felt like crying when the pain got so bad that I had to walk. It was pretty demotivating.

My goal right now is to get my calf to heal up and then start running again. Goal is to prepare for the 10k program that starts in a couple months.

Tomato
12-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Nelie, congrats on finishing the 5K even though you were in pain!
Make sure the calf gets healed before you start anything again - for a quite a while, I had a problem with shin splints when walking fast on the TM - I would take care of them, the pain would go away, then I would get on TM again and the pain was back. Eventually I started running and that resolved the issue (but brought other problems).

I am not sure if I should be happy or frustrated. It seems to me that I lost a few pounds too quickly (without trying or doing anything different). Today, I went shopping for new jeans - my current 2 pairs in size 10 are too big. It looks like I skipped size 8 and am almost good for size 6, but of course I came home empty handed before all the jeans are too short (I don't want to buy anything upscale as I am still losing).
I also found a perfectly fitting long black velvet skirt in size 4 (but it is an expensive label so it probably suffers from the vanity sizing disease). Didn't buy it but I was very tempted - I will have to think about it. People in the office may go into cardiac arrest if I start wearing skirts - I have always been a jeans gal.

Lydia227
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Nelie: I'm torn between feeling so excited for you upon completing your 5k and feeling so awful that you had to do it with such pain. :hug: Nevertheless, Congratulations! I really hope the RICE method provides some relief for you this evening and hopefully the injury isn't too serious. My goodness you are such a strong woman.

Alena: A size 6!:yikes: Look at you! And losing it too soon?! Nah, your Zumbaing all over the place in those shoes. Really, you earned those skirts. Wear them proudly with your Zumba shoes as you go into work. :lol:

Elisa: :wave: No snow? Well, come on down here! We got two inches of it this morning and afternoon and the city almost came to a stand still. Really, I was in it this afternoon and just so thankful for all wheel drive. In all of their infinite wisdom the city and suburbs did not treat the streets before it hit and it was just a mess. I was so looking forward to going to a white elephant party this evening with some of my best friends. Unfortunately, my mother was unable to make it over to this part of town due to the weather and I'm home watching kid videos instead. (insert primal scream) Sheesh. Now I have two bottles of red, some olives, hummus, two kinds of cheeses and seed crackers just hanging around my kitchen. I purchased them to share! Not for watching Get Smart with my two sons, as charming as they are. :p

The day wasn't a total waste though. I was able to get in a respectable cardio and lifting session this morning. I do so much better working out in the mid morning than early morning. There is just something about two more hours of sleep and a real breakfast that allows me to go a lot further. I came home ravenous, ate, showered, ran some errands and then slept for another two hours. :faint: I dropped a couple of pounds this week too which I think accounts for why I was so hungry and tired after the workout. I think my body is/was fighting the loss. :dunno:

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Mel
12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Good morning :wave: Sorry to be so scarce lately.

Fran- Bottle that feeling! and enjoy it.

Nelie- I'm glad you were able to do the 5k, but sorry about the conditions. Next time?

Elna and Lydia- Congrats on the losses!

One of these days I'll be able to write a nice long post....:dizzy:

Mel

elisa822
12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
So we got just a small dusting of snow over the weekend but man was it cold!! And tomorrow it's supposed to rain :dizzy: but I'll take rain over snow anyday.

I managed to make it through one weekend of baking without any damage so I consider that to be a huge success!:carrot:

Today I'm off to my spin class.

Lydia - keep that loss going!!

Have a great day everyone.

Tomato
12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Could somebody give some spanking please? (I mean a big dose of spanking).
I did not go to the gym yesterday because I allowed stuff to get in the way (thinking I may go later although deep down I knew that it may not happen) AND I ate 3 (yes, THREE) scoops of ice cream - it was 100% emotional eating and I KNEW it was emotional eating and I did NOTHING to stop it.
There. Having confessed I feel better but I still need the spanking.
Thanks!

nelie
12-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm still limping along.

I am planning for our next 5k. We are looking at the Cherry Blossom 5k in April. I looked at last years course though and it looks boring, an out and back. I like loops but I've heard its good so maybe.

We are also looking at doing the 10k training program. I just need to be able to do 2 miles in 24 minutes to qualify for the program. I don't think that is an issue but I have to wait until my calf heals to test that one out.

Lydia227
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
:coach: ALENA! Come here! :frypan:

Listen, don't beat yourself up too badly about this. Obviously three scoops of ice cream will not cause you to immediately gain all the weight that you have lost. I suspect that how you interpret your moment could do more damage than the actual caloric intake itself. Just take a look at why it happened. Understand that it should not be something you begin to reach for habitually in the upcoming days. Just nip it in the bud.

Although, I'm not going to tell you not to eat ice cream anymore ever. No way. I've got my own favorite haunts here in the city. But, they are planned. I try not to keep it in the house (avoidance) and when DH announces he's off to Jeni's for you know what...I go along and have coffee instead. That's usually when I'm experiencing my "Fran like secret moment." Problem is I know that the darn stuff does taste really good.

:hug: Hang in there. January is right around the corner and we are all so ahead of the game. Right? :s: Right? :yes:

WaterRat
12-09-2008, 03:56 PM
:wave: Hi! Not much going on here. I'm just checking in to say I'm still kicking and nearly hives-free. I go back to the doc on Thurs and hope to be exercising again by the weekend (from the original problem, not the hives).

jamsk8r
12-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Hello, ladies! I hope I am not jinxing myself by saying this out loud, but I think I will be able to start lifting again on Thursday. I don't think I even said why I've been AWOL, but I got run down by a big teenager at the skating rink and smacked my left arm down hard on the floor. Not sure if I fractured it or what, since I did not see a doctor about it, but it was not broken, all the fingers and wrist worked, just painful and couldn't even lift a milkjug, much less a barbell. :( That was right after halloween, and it's been feeling normal for about 2.5 weeks, so I'm thinking it may be safe to try lifting again. I'm going to force myself to go easy on the weights, though, and ease back into it, so I don't hurt my stupid self. This has been my year for injuries, and I know that half the time it's my own fault, because I can't seem to walk into the weight room and not go all out. :frypan:

I haven't caught up on posts yet, but I've got to get up in 5 hours, so I'd better get some sleep! Just wanted to check in, so you'd know I didn't run off to the golden arches or something, lol.

Tomato
12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Cheryl,
Nice to have you back! Sorry to hear about your injury and hope it is all healed now. You must have missed the time at the gym.

Alena

Mel
12-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Cheryl! :wave: Welcome back and sorry to hear about your injury. That's why my ice hockey career was so short lived a few years ago. Those guys are BIG!

Nelie- I hope you are doing better, That calf injury sounds worse than a lingering cramp.

Lydia and Fran- I loved listening to your discussions. After 7 plus years of this, I'm just not feeling the magic anymore, but reading your posts brings some of it back for me. That is the way I felt...after a while, I've forgotten how special and personal the journey felt. Thank you :hug:

I'm really buckling down- double cardio 3 times a week, lifting 5, clean eats. Not much is happening except that I'm tired! My body HAS to respond sometime before I keel over, right?

Have a good one,
Mel

4rabbit
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi guys,

I'm still around. it feels good to read all your posts. In fact i just got inspired to go upstairs & get some much needed exercise on the threadmill. Thanks!

Rabbit
working my way back

jamsk8r
12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Alena, thanks for the welcome! I certainly have missed lifting. I'm nervous about tomorrow, and hoping it will be alright if I start out light and ease into it.

Mel, we weren't playing hockey, but the kid that hit me was big enough, that's for sure! The roller derby girls tried to recruit me a few times, but I just told them I like all my body parts intact, lol.

Rabbit, I am with you there, working my way back. I quit running when I hurt my arm, because it irritated the arm, and now I'm having trouble getting back into that groove. I am so ready to just be back on track and injury-free!

sportmom
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
So, back to the journey Lydia and Mel, it happened again today. Same but different.

I was sitting at lunch with dh, my food was grossing me out, dh was going on about something in politics and the IL gov, and I was tuning out. Between the food I didn't want to be eating and the conversation I didn't want to be hearing I left the room and went into my fitness world, thinking, if I don't get to jump out of this chair soon and break into a run out of here, I will lose my mind! It was very odd, left me feeling somewhat insane (talking to myself? Really? What's that about?) and kinda lonely. It's a world unto itself, but fun to visit.

Lydia227
12-10-2008, 11:01 PM
So Fran, that "I have to get out of here feeling..." Did that occur before or after you had your workout for the day. I know that if I haven't had my workout or I skip one I can feel boxed in very easily.

I also think the workouts provide a mental escape long after they are completed. Some endorphins at work but also because of all of the ways the pursuit of fitness can challenge us. There are things to learn cognitively, neurologically and physically. When we are truly engaged it's difficult to tune it out. My mind drifts in the evening when I'm rushing to get through the last phase of: dinner, homework, kids in bed completed. I usually find myself smiling because I know when I wake up in the morning I get to go workout. :goodvibes: It's my quiet, alone, don't bother me time. :yoga: When I'm feeling boxed in by all of the "must do's" of my day my mind drifts to my earlier morning workout and I begin to relax again.

Cheryl, I'm so glad you have not fallen under the Golden Arches. I had no idea you were mauled by a roller chick. I wish you the best of luck and an awesome workout. You must have been going stir crazy. Oh, and you aren't nervous. You are just really really excited! Just feels like nervous. :rofl:

Hi Rabbit :wave: Any new home repairs while you were away?

Okay. Good night to everyone else. I have an early alarm for tomorrow.

kaw
12-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Morning chickies. Haven't been around much, except in lurking mode. But, I'm still here, still lifting. My lifts have been going up, which is good. Unfortunately, my weight has also been going up, which isn't so good. And, although a smidge of it may be muscle, it can't all be!

I'm not going to make goal by my self-imposed D-day (Dec 18). I feel like such an idiot for (a) gaining some of the fat back, and (b) not getting my butt in gear this fall when I noticed the pudge returning. It's not like I didn't know that it would take time and discipline: at this point in my life, I'm an old hand at losing fat!

But, I suppose the only way to deal with it is to get my a** in gear. Today is a new day, and all that.

Glad to see some familiar avatars/screen names still here. Hope y'all are feeling better about yourselves than I am this morning!

Be strong ...

Tomato
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I left the room and went into my fitness world, thinking, if I don't get to jump out of this chair soon and break into a run out of here, I will lose my mind! It was very odd, left me feeling somewhat insane (talking to myself? Really? What's that about?) and kinda lonely. It's a world unto itself, but fun to visit.

I so know what you mean. I was in a meeting yesterday (it's a weekly meeting that is actually quite productive and normally I enjoy it, it's to discuss purely technical issues so it's not the usual corporate BS and all that jazz); anyway, I sort of tuned out and I wished I could be doing Zumba right then, listening to funky music and wiggling my butt ....... then I returned to reality. :cry:

sportmom
12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Lydia, it def was on a day when I had not yet worked out. That could be a big part of it, kind of a, 'instead of wasting time here I should be doing THIS', kind of thinking. But I think I get it on days I've worked out too, maybe. WIll have to watch for that. No, maybe on the workout days, I get that smug smile and the "I'm better than all this" floating attitude. You are right!

jamsk8r
12-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi all. Well, I did get an easy LB routine done today. Okay, it might not even qualify as a beginner routine, just one set of 10 of each exercise, plus abs, but I did it, then did 20 mins of walking and jogging after. I'm coming down with something since yesterday, all stuffed up, achy and have the chills, so even my mini workout was better than what I felt like doing, which was to crawl under a warm blanket and go to sleep. My goal for right now is just to not skip a workout, no matter how cruddy I feel, so I'm happy that I did it. I felt better as soon as I got through the first exercise and started to warm up.

Tomato
12-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Yay, Cheryl!
That was a great start! Since weekend is coming, maybe you should spend some time under a warm blankie and sleep the bugs off (that is, after exercise). Sleep recharges your immune system. Hope you will feel better soon.

Mel
12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Congrats Cheryl :)
Kim- good to "see" you again. I'm in exactly the same place as you are. My lift are going back up, but at this point I really don't care about that, and would rather the body fat went back down. It is...slowly. As you said, it's not like we don't know how and what to do :D

I've really been buckling down and it's beginning to show, just not as quickly as I'd like. I won't meet my self-imposed pre-Christmas goal without extreme measures, and I'm not going there, The two a day cardio was too much workout for me and I've cut it to two a day only twice a week. I was just exhausted and not recovering. Getting old stinks. I think our censor would delete the word I really want to use :rofl: The key for me is to stay 100% on plan on weekends as weel- no free anythings :p

Have a good one.

Mel

4rabbit
12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi guys,

Just reporting in to keep in touch. I am bored out of my skull by a job related task, and I did not work out. I know if I work out i will not perform this boring task because my excuse will be to myself that I am too tired. And there is a reward associated with the boring job, so I'll have to bear this untill it is finished. The tricks you play on yourself ...

OTOH, I am now at day 7 of the beck diet solution, and a lot of CBT is coming back to me. I chose 3FC as one of my diet coaches, both this and the maintainers forum. I want to get back inside the groove so badly that i am not waiting for the holidays to be over because there will NEVER be a day when I will have the ideal circumstances to start again, so I can just as well do it now. I I hope to get as good as you again!

have a great day all,
rabbit

4rabbit
12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi mel,

We were posting at the same time!
I have been thinking of you a lot lately... my DD is currently trying glutenfree food. And she was really relieved when I told her this is not the end of the world at all, that a lady on the weightlifting forum on the internet eats glutenfree all the time, and that she makes muffins and pancakes glutenfree. i checked out some of your recipes, and once we have mastered glutenfree bread baking mix we are certainly going to try them!

DD might be on the glutenfree food for some time, because since she started this her mouth sores have healed really quickly and she also has much much less stomach aches.

Thanks for acting as a gluten free role model for DD,
Rabbit

WaterRat
12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Rabbit - there's several glutenfree websites around. glutenfreegirl blogspot come is one I read all the time, though I don't have a problem with gluten. She writes really well, and has a lot of posts about vegetables as well. Her website has links to other glutenfree sites as well.

Having a busy day here. :wave: to all of you.

jamsk8r
12-12-2008, 06:59 PM
So, Mel, what is the benefit of the 2x/day cardio days? Sorry, I probably missed it the first time around.

Tomato, I don't want to take a break right now, since I seem to be struggling with motivation already, mainly with cardio. I'm afraid I'd find an excuse not to get started again. So for now, my plan is just to do something each day, even if it's less of a workout than normal. We've got a storm blowing in, though, so cardio might be looking a lot better if the heat goes off, lol.

Rabbit, I'm glad you're going for it. It helps me to read what others are doing. One day at a time, that's my plan right now!

Pat, this is me waving back, since I don't remember the code for any waving smilies right now. ;)

Lydia227
12-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Cheryl, glad to hear that you felt better during your session! Moving just a little helps to dust off the cobwebs. Don't worry about going slow. Muscle memory, muscle memory...once you are feeling better you'll be back at without skipping a beat.

Kaw, I'm sorry that your feeling a little down about your body composition. I'm wondering though if your additional intake has a direct correlation with the strength gains in your lifts. I believe you may know more about this than I but I'm wondering if it's a trade off at some point. :dunno: I also know that you were incredibly lean. It must be very difficult to maintain that level of body fat percentage for an extended period of time. It may be the difference between staying focused 85% of the time and more like 95%. I'm not sure I could stay at that level for more than several months. :chin: Heck, I'm having trouble just losing those last few pounds that would make a difference in my composition as well. But, it is much better than this time last year. Each year seems to present new challenges to work around. The best we can do is learn from them, anticipate them and move on. :hug: Enjoy the extra strength. I admire how much you can out bench and out squat me. :yes:

Mel: Wise decision to get some rest. Fatigue not only leads to slow recovery but for me a call for the carbs.

Okay. So my tree and the arrangement on my mantle as well as the weath on my wall do not match. (I must be in a state of transition again) AAAAAAAAHHHHHHGGGGG! I'm a week behind in the cookie baking, none of the gifts are wrapped and not all of the lights are on my tree outside. ~sigh~ Maybe the Christmas fairy will come and get it all done for me tonight. Not. :s: Okay. Breathe...

WaterRat
12-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Tree? there's supposed to be a tree? :tree: Why does no one tell me these things?? :rofl: Since DH wants a real tree, we won't have one until next week.... We do have a wreath - a large one with lights - on the house, but that's the extent of our decorations to date. Presents needing to be mailed are gone - ones for here, some aren't even bought (or delivered). No pressure Lydia, it will all come together - or not. Everyone will enjoy the holiday anyway. :hug:

elisa822
12-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Lydia - while I celebrate this :han: and not this :santa:, I still feel your pain. It's a crazy time of year. I too have presents to buy, cookies to bake and lots of functions and parties. If you're like me, lists always help. Yes, it's simple but having a list and writing down when I'm going to do what, calms my nerves a bit. Or just go do a little of this! :strong: or this :yoga: It will all be okay!!

Cheryl - nice to hear that you're coming along!

I did bake another batch of cookies tonight. They're in the freezer now but I can't say I didn't taste one or two. :o So far I've had a week full of work treats and one of our company holiday lunches and I've made it through without too much damage on the scale. I have two (yes two) dinner parties tomorrow night so that will be tough. Let's just hope I don't eat two dinners!! ;) I will make it to January...I will make it to January

Oh!! good and shocking news....my DH actually joined my gym!! Not shocking to you maybe but he hasn't seen the inside of a gym since university, and that's a lot of years ago! I'm not sure if it will "stick" but I'm looking forward to the company sometimes and hoping that this helps me actually get there on the weekends! I must admit that I was a Monday to Friday exerciser, except for a run when the weather was decent. Weekends are busy and I never actually pushed myself to get there on my own but maybe things will change. Either way I hope it's great for him and it can't be bad for me! :)

And finally, I'm going for another fitness assessment at my gym. Somehow they neglected to tell me that you can have one done as often as every 8 weeks if you want to track your progress. Wow, I wish I'd known that before. I hope it goes better than last year when, some of you may remember, I was quite upset by what I was told was my BF%. I've since really started to believe, given my height, weight and fitness level etc., that it was not entirely accurate but it hit me hard so we'll see.

Have a great weekend everyone!

brattybratbrat
12-13-2008, 03:43 AM
jamsk8r, how do you plan your excercise day and food program? just wondering. you seem to have a quiet drive or push to do things. tell me or i might have to send my cat over to steal your breath away...

My main problem is appetite. I took Meridia (a prescribed appetite suppresant) once for a few months and it squashed the appetite, but it was psychological too; I ate right and tried to help it along and so I am not taking it anymore and wondering how does everyone control appetite. Any tricks?

jennifer

sportmom
12-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Here to report I am really feeling my step-ups that I am doing as part of my weight lifting. Sheesh. I haven't felt this part of (excuse me) my buttocks since....... EVER! It's crazy!

Here's how crazy (and tell me how crazy this is....) I'm thinking of digging out all my step dvd's (or vhs :lol3:) and getting back into step aerobics for some cardio. I was a step queen in the late 80's and I can't believe I've lost all that tone from then!

midwife
12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
My main problem is appetite. I took Meridia (a prescribed appetite suppresant) once for a few months and it squashed the appetite, but it was psychological too; I ate right and tried to help it along and so I am not taking it anymore and wondering how does everyone control appetite. Any tricks?

jennifer

I eat 5 or 6 times a day. I don't let myself get too hungry. I eat protein each time I eat, along with fruits, veggies, and complex carbs. I drink a lot of water. I avoid simple sugars that by body will burn through too quickly. I plan out my foods. This makes sure I am eating enough, cause eating too little is a recipe for disaster for me. When I have eaten my planned amount, sometimes I want more---either out of habit, stress, or just cause it is yummy. I drink water, have a chocolate calcium chew or a protein shake, and wait. The urge to overeat will pass.

elisa822
12-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Fran - I'm a secret step lover too!! It's not particularly trendy anymore but I still love it. I have trouble finding classes to go to but my gym still has one or two a week. There's a new one I've been meaning to try but it's been a while so I have to psych myself up for not quite being as good as I used to! ;) It's odd because I hate (I mean really hate) most kinds of traditional "aerobics" classes but I've always loved my step! Keep me posted!!

WaterRat
12-13-2008, 03:57 PM
:lol: Fran! Another stepper here - probably not to the level of :queen: but an enthusiast. THose classes passed quickly and the music kept you moving. I too have some videos - and a step - but haven't dragged them out - yet.

It's crazy cold here - minus 15 degrees F :eek: - but with the new snow earlier in the week, and the sun, it's gorgeous out. Like living in a postcard. Our city is having a Colony* Christmas celebration today. Lots of craft fairs, Christmas music on outdoor speakers, a train from Anchorage with more shoppers, culminating with a parade and fireworks this evening. I'm staying way, away until the fireworks. I don't like crowds of people, and there's nothing beyone groceries and gas that I need to buy. :)

* Palmer was the site of a government "colony" for midwest farmers during the depression. They were moved here, given 40 acres and some cash, help with building their homes, etc. It was the largest of several, and the most successful. The Colony Christmas celebration (and Colony Days in the summer) celebrates that. There's a documentary making the film festival circuit called "Alaska Far Away" with a website of the same name.

Mel
12-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Jennifer- I also eat 5 times a day and space my calories out fairly evenly. But there are still days when I'm famished and I just have to tough it out or have something very low cal and high bulk. Eating protein at every meal really helps.

I haven't done step in years, though I do still have my Reebok step which I use for all sorts of exercises, and a second one that I rescued from a neighbor's bulk trash :o I think I still have all of the Jane Fonda tapes where she is wearing the blue leotard and sparkly leg warmers, but thankfully, our vhs tape player broke :rofl:

Today has been a hungry day. I did legs heavy this morning and my hamstrings already hurt. That last drop set of lying curls did them in. Not a very exotic workout, but effective.

Cheryl- the benefit of cardio 2X a day is burning MORE calories! In the morning, I usually do a 45 minute elliptical session. I've been adding a 20 minute treadmill HIIT session in the evening when I get home from work. My pants are getting a little looser, but I'm exhausted.

As lydia pointed out, the result of exhaustion is possible injury and most certainly the lure of carbs, or anything edible. I fell into that trap last night and I'm sure the extra calories burned were a lot less than the calories consumed. Dumb, and I know better but...well, just but.

Going to see a friend daughter dance in Nutcracker tomorrow.

Have a good one,
Mel

jamsk8r
12-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Mel, LOL on the Jane Fonda thing...my sister C has one of those tapes that she uses all the time. It cracks me up to watch it, because it's like a bad flashback, and they all have smiles pasted on their faces. My position is that if you can smile like that, you're not working out hard enough! ;) Thanks for bringing me up to date on the 2x cardio idea. Last I heard you were doing the longer session in the mornings, so I was curious as to what the new plan was.

Lydia, the decorations are supposed to match? As in some sort of Martha-ish color coordinated way? You're making that up! I consider it a success if I just remember to get it all put up before Dec 25, and packed away before June, lol.

Jenn, what they said on the meals and the protein. Workouts, I plan out what I'll do at least a week ahead of time, at least knowing I'm doing lifting these days and what kind of cardio each day. If I trip up, I just try to jump right back in and go again.

Fran, I like the step-ups...that's one of my favorites, except when I get up to where I can't hold enough weight to get a decent workout. If I can avoid injury this time around, then I plan to tackle that obstacle by practicing with the barbell along the way, and/or getting some lifting straps, so I can hold heavier DBs for the step-ups. I tried Mel's single leg squat torture, but I am not there yet...maybe when I get some more weight off..?

Okay, got to get off the computer, for real, and get ready for skating!

ETA: Dang! All that, and I forgot to report! I did do my workout on Friday, just a single set of 10 reps for UB. I'm going to stick with the single set of 10 for the next two workouts, then if everything is still good with my arm, I'll add in a second set and do that for a week. I figure it can't hurt to ease into it, in case the old tendons and whatnot are needing a reminder of how this all works. Next lifting workout is set for Monday morning.

4rabbit
12-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi all,

Lydia, You don't want to saddele any future in-laws with problems do you? Like "at my moms house the decorations always matched...". I have a tree up, and that is it. No coockie baking, no cards...only mailed presents to my cousin in the US. I'm going to my sister with christmas, and for the rest of the time...I've started on beck, DD is figuring out the whole glutenfree thing, asd DS basically will eat anything that looks like fries or junkfood, and does not like vegetables and fruit. So I am afraid there is very limited common ground for us to have a norman rockwell family moment together.

OTOH, as long as we all survive the holiday season in reasonable jioy, it is OK with me. DS still has very limited mobility with his knee, so we'll mainly be visiting family and staying at home.

Pat, thanks for the website tip, I'm definitely going to check that out.

Good news for today: I put my treadmill next to my bed again and dragged on my workout clothes and hit the threadmill when I rolled out of bad this morning. I was putting of wotking out because I am so tired that I thought if I would exercise i would not get all the other stuff done. I now have found out that 15 mins of running does NOT wear oneself out for the day, and Im going to try to keep that up for the next days.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
12-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Rabbit- Why is dd going gluten free? Did she get a diagnosis of Celiac's? It's really not so hard...ds and I have been gluten free for the last 2 1/2 years. We are just being told now by his gastroenterologist that it may not have been necessary :rolleyes:

No workout today- my legs are sore from yesterday and I really needed the rest. The tree is up but only 1/2 decorated (only half the family celebrates Christmas :dizzy:) and I haven't found Hanukkah candles yet (the other half of the family.) This year the holidays coincide. I'm not sure if that's harder or easier!

Mel

jamsk8r
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Morning, all! :coffee:

It's Monday. Normally, not that exciting, but it's a lifting day for me, LB, and the arm feels good, so I'm looking forward to another workout. It'll be another easy workout, but it still feels good to be lifting again. Lay offs drive me stir crazy!

Mel and DePalma, in a never-ending effort to live up to your high standards, I did attempt the SL Squats again yesterday. Still not able to go deep enough to call it a squat, but I'm getting closer! I worked on my balance some, too, so that when my muscles are up to it, I might be able to do them without holding onto the wall. ;) I'm going to put some single leg balance practice into my daily routine, to try and improve that faster, which won't hurt for skating, either.

Okay, need more caffeine now. Waiting for my boy to get home, so I can get him going on his chores and school, then I'll be free to do my lifting workout. It's a winter wonderland out there, still, so I'll be working out at home today.

4rabbit
12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
hi all,

Mel - XH has had a diagnosis of celiac's when he was young & often had digestion problems. DD is very small & skinny for her age, and had stomach pains 5 days out of 7, and often has painfull mouth sores. We could not find anything against the mouth sores, and she could have them for a month before they cleared up. Then I read on the internet that it is a celiacs symptom, so I put her on gluten free. The sores cleared in 3 days and DD remarked that strangely she also had no stomach pain for those 3 days, which put me thinking. She is late in puberty, and all part of my family is small & skinny, and the heart condition also did not help to make her big and strong, but we thought to give it a try and see how it goes. Maybe she does not grow because she gets little nourishment. Also, from baby on she likes fruit and vegetables and hot meals a lot, but she does not like bread and cakes and such. Sofar, she likes having no pain better than she likes bread and pasta, and we have been able to find some alternatives. I did not go to the doctor because I heard the diagnosis is a painful test, but I might go in the next week or so to see if she has some helpful suggestions.
Why does your DS doctor think it might not have been necessary for you both to go gluten free ?

ladies.. Exercise wise I am working my way back unto the wagon. I am typing this with shaking hands. I went to 1 hour of power class and I really really needed that workout.

have a great day all,
rabbit

Mel
12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Rabbit- There is a blood test for Celiacs but it is completely unreliable if the person has already gone gluten free. After a few weeks/months of gluten free, almost all the tests are inconclusive. My biggest mistake was believing "alternative" doctors and feeding ds gluten free for 2 1/2 years without proper diagnostics first.

He is just as frequently sick gluten free as he was with gluten....we are still trying to figure out what is wrong with him. I'm now doubting my mother's celiac diagnosis which was made by the same alternative medicine doc. She, too, is still sick. The gut is a mysterious place!

Legs today with a new workout partner :D Should be fun.

Mel

4rabbit
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Mel,

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear your DS is still often sick. Did the gluten free help you yourself in any way? I definitely think I'll go to my GP with dd next week. Still, so far she has much less stomach ache. The gut is mysterious indeed.

On a completely different note...I gave my DS probiotic bacterium pills some years back when he had health problems some years ago, and that seems to have helped. He had a bacterium that is usually no big deal in the majority of people but he had the symptoms of the remaining minority, got antibiotics to kill off the bad ones and I fed him the good bacteria to re-populate his guts with the good guys.

I'm sore and feeling virtuous from my workout yesterday.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
I missed my LB workout last night, but since it was a lite workout, I was able to make it up today along with my UB lifting. Ran today also, just for 30 mins.

I did a set of the good old "jackknife" tonight. It's been a while since I tried that one, and I was pushing to make it to 10. Felt good though, and I didn't fall off the ball, which is always nice!

ETA: Mel and Rabbit, I hope you don't think I'm ignoring your posts. I just am not even sure what a gluten is, so I figured silence was the best option for me on that topic. ;)

sportmom
12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, another one of those, "wish I had a video camera" moments.

I was on my bench doing incline bicep curls. I guess I didn't have the bar firmly in the slot because on my 3rd rep, the bench slammed down to a negative 45 degree angle and bc I was leaning back with my weights in my hands, I totally did a backward slide/flip/roll onto the floor like a fast slinky. Scared me TO DEATH and could have been alot worse. I was pretty shaken but recovered quickly. Now my left shoulder blade just hurts. DH who saw it happen said I probably threw the weights to the left at the end when landing and pulled my shoulder blade. And then, instead of asking me if I was ok, the first thing he did was yell at me for not making sure the lever was locked in place. :stars:

Lydia227
12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Fran! Are you okay? My goodness. Well, these are the moments that keep us honest. :lol: I've had a few of those my own. Except mine are done in public. :o

'kay. Makin' peace with the tree and the wreaths. By the way Cheryl, I wasn't kidding. :D And I don't want to set up unhealthy expectations for my sons with regard to future in-laws. So, I'm relaxed. The part I'm looking forward to the most is a nice yoga session with the fireplace and candles lit and the boys in bed. :goodvibes: Very different from years past. ;)

Off to bake more alcohol soaked bread. :devil: Maybe I'll just go soak my head instead. :dizzy:

4rabbit
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Cheryl - no sweat about the post, we're not obliged to react to posts! I let loads of posts slide by if i don't feel I can contribute!

Fran - YIKES!!!Glad you are not hurt!

Lydia - Yoga next to a candle lit tree..That's a vision!

Well, again no formal exercisae today but i least I walked 5 flights down & then up in the car park getting to & from work. We had a christmas luncheon at work and I managed to keep it fairly into control.

Keep up the good works all,
rabbit

WaterRat
12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Morning folks! We're back in the sub-zero temps here today, but it sure is pretty out - now that the sun is up. :lol:

Last night I had a church meeting that started at 5:30, and I optimistically told DH I'd be home by 8. Ha! We didn't leave there til 9:30. Got home in time to go to bed. So this morning I opted to take a little personal time. Got up at the usual time, but did some laundry and cooked for a potluck I'm going to tonight, and then went to the dentist for a 9:40 appt, and finally to work by 11. I feel much more in control now. Tonight is my 9 person quilting group, which is always fun, and this time there are presents! :lol:

Tomorrow night is free! Yay. I should have time for exercising, though decorating the tree is on the schedule, providing of course that DH gets it. He was goint to yesterday, but didn't. Of course he knows that tomorrow is the first night I'll be home to work on it.....

kittycat40
12-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, another one of those, "wish I had a video camera" moments.

I was on my bench doing incline bicep curls. I guess I didn't have the bar firmly in the slot because on my 3rd rep, the bench slammed down to a negative 45 degree angle and bc I was leaning back with my weights in my hands, I totally did a backward slide/flip/roll onto the floor like a fast slinky. Scared me TO DEATH and could have been alot worse. I was pretty shaken but recovered quickly. Now my left shoulder blade just hurts. DH who saw it happen said I probably threw the weights to the left at the end when landing and pulled my shoulder blade. And then, instead of asking me if I was ok, the first thing he did was yell at me for not making sure the lever was locked in place. :stars:

OMG. my mouth gaped open when I read this :hug: kinda scary

jamsk8r
12-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Fran, hope the shoulder is just bruised, and not any worse! Like Lydia, I usually do stuff like that in front of a gym full of onlookers, like when I stood up off the back extension bench and went to lean back on the wall...just forgot that that particular bench had the foot pad thingies down by the floor, and the wall wasn't as close as I thought it was, so I tripped my stupid self, landed on my butt with my feet in the air, and cracked my head on the wall. Yeah, all part of my plan, nothin' to see here, folks! lol

Mel
12-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Ah, Fran....you did a Mel! I've entertained many gyms full with my klutziness.

I have a sore shoulderblade too, and I don't know why. It's more muscle than bruise, tho.

I'm just trudging along here, trying to juggle too many balls.

Mel

midwife
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow, Fran. Hope you're ok. I dinged myself in the head with a dumbbell last week. Not too bad. I have a pretty thick skull.

Trudging along, juggling too many balls, too, Mel. I guess that's just life, right? Took me this long to figure it out.

4rabbit
12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Mel, midwife go on juggling, I'm cheering you on.
I'm in holiday mood, and my work for my day job is almost finished!!!

Rabbit

sportmom
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm all good today - no more pain in the blade area.

Ah yes, ball juggling, 'tis just life. And we are all so lucky to have balls to juggle and families to care for and not really anything sad or serious to deal with. We've had quite a spell ourselves, spent F-Su at the Naval Academy for dd's swim meet (I have a really cool pic of her with Katie Hoff if anyone wants to see it ;)), then Monday a band concert, Tu swim team party, yesterday - OFF!, tonite s/t practice as well as dd2's dance performance, tomorrow last day of school and practice again, and saturday dance class again, s/t and sunday we do a 13 hr drive to atlanta if we can get out before the ice storm hits. But it's all gooooood. I've no chronic pain, I didn't fall off the treadmill today :lol: and my Chloe dvd (celtic woman) arrived today from netflix. It gives me something to do while I fight my now going on 3 week, 4 service call visits from comcast cable, who is known here in our househod as :doh: !! Well, at least I don't do any baking. When I lived up in Mel's neck of the woods the neighbors did that for each other and while I tried to back out little by little each year, it's nice to have a total break from it now. Right now our street is so diverse with international families that there are quite a few different things being celebrated (or not) during this month.

4rabbit
12-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Fran - this sounds like you are insanely busy at the moment! I plan to go lie on the coach and veg this afternoon. Just too tired, but i did finish my last work committment.

So this whole home baking thing is an american tradition for christmas ? I was wondering about that!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

sportmom
12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes Rabbit, cookie exchanges are a pretty big deal - among women ;), you might do an exchange with your neighbors, another at work, another in a social network you belong too, bake tins of cookies for the teachers, for your friends/family, etc. It's crazy - people can bake in the upper hundreds of cookies. Alot of them tend to be small and intricately decorated too, so it takes alot of them to fill up those tins! I'll try to find a pic to post here to give you an idea.
http://www.ferraracafe.com/store/images/catalog/cookie%20tin_sm.jpg
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens2315421_1228196400Christmas_Cookie_Exchange_Sw ap.jpg

WaterRat
12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Ah, I've avoided cookie exchanges at every possible opportunity. I was caught by several when I was younger. It really helps not to have kids in this situation, and to have all of my family and in-laws live far far away. :lol: I do bake cookies for DH, and for the past couple of years he has baked his family's traditional cookies (after his mom was too incapacitated to do it) and sent them to his siblings and grown neices/nephews. Rabbit, I much prefer your lie on the couch and veg activity. :rofl:

TOnight is our work party for all the City departments. It's the only "dressy" party I have on my schedule. Dressy means much less here in small town nearly-rural Alaska. Mine current winter dressy outfit is a suede-like skirt and jacket, best worn with dress or cowboy boots! Frankly, if it's not jeans, it's probably acceptable. :) I have no idea what the food is beyond a catered buffet. The bar is no-host, so I will be having one glass of wine - helps to be cheap in this situation!

jamsk8r
12-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Pat, have fun at the party!

I had a great LB workout last night. My 12 y.o. ds wanted to work out with me, so we just picked a 5x5 workout and used the same weights for all sets, being as I only have one set of DB bars to work with at home. My ds wanted to pick an ab exercise, and I foolishly agreed. Well, his idea of an ab exercise was laying back on your shoulders with the whole body straight up in the air and feet pointed toward the ceiling. I was somehow able to do 25 of these without breaking my neck, lol. In retaliation, I picked glute-ham sit-ups ala Crossfit. :devil: Of course, this morning, he is feeling no pain, and my abs feel like they were put through a meat grinder.

Tomato
12-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Hiaya ladies! :wave:

I have been reading but not posting so much.
Last weekend, I had a little Christmas party at my house and I cooked a healthy meal. THere was some not-so-good-for-you stuff, like crackers and cheese balls and potato chips, but I stayed away from those for the most part. The bad thing was that were many leftovers but I tried to have a nibble here, a hibble there so in general I don't they did any damage.

I am still sticking to my 6 days at a gym plan, so I am hopefully slowly snailing ahead. Yesterday, we had a major snow storm (at times, one would call is a snow blizzard) and the unthinkable happened: our company let us go home after lunch (lunch was a catered turkey with veggies, mashers (i had only a tablespoon of those), green beens and some monstrous cake that I am sure were as atrocious as they looked. Everybody was helping themselves to huge bricks of cake. :nono:

It took me about an hour to get home instead of the usual 25 minutes and I left the shoveling until the storm was over (7 pm or so) - it took me two full hours to get it cleaned up plus almost 30 min this morning as the snow plough pushed another ton into my driveway. I just returned from my core class and an hour of Zumba. I had no energy for Zumba, I have to say.

But, I also marveled at what a good shape I am in - if I say it myself. :o
A year ago, I would be completely spent after such massive shoveling but today, although I am tired in general, all body parts are working as they should, the back is not complaining and the shoulders and arms will be fine tomorrow - and that's good, because another snow storm is on the way and another one on Tuesday. :(

Wishing you all a nice weekend.

elisa822
12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Tomato - I guess you and I shared the same storm! My company only gave the "go home" at 3:00...and I was already on my way by then! ;) And yes, I hear there's more coming. :( Good for you for getting in all the shoveling exercise, and still making it to the gym today.

Fran - I was going to take some pictures of my cookies, but they're not that "pretty"...they just taste good! ;) And these cookies...it's my own fault if I gain weight this year. I'm usually okay with my own cookies but I've been struggling a bit more this year, tasting too many. I'm sure I did have hundreds in my freezer at peak baking time. I've given away most and the rest should be gone in a week or so but I think I need to move them back to the basement freezer, to keep me safe!

This month has been crazy with food and workouts, but I guess that's probably normal. The bad news is the cookies but the good news is that wehn I'm not eating cookies, I'm eating okay! I've mostly been able to stick to my "no gain" goal by being really good, in between the cookie eating.

Hope everyone's having a nice relaxing weekend.

Mel
12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I've avoided all cookie exchanges for at least the last 7 years, but got sucked in to a few "women's holiday brunches". Oy.

I'm doing NO baking this year. My SIL is doing Christmas, and I'm doing Hanukkah dinner on Christmas eve- we are a mixed up family. If I have to provide desserts, I'll buy them so I'm not particularly tempted!

Just finished a run/bike combo (indoors) which I also did yesterday. I missed weights since LAST TUESDAY due to a pulled muscle in my upper back and then a stomach bug. For some reason, I could manage cardio, but not the weights. Tomorrow's scheduled back and chest workout is going to be a rude shock to the system.

Mel

jamsk8r
12-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Tomato, I'll be doing the shoveling thing tomorrow, but I'm making the boy help me. I'd just leave it myself, but I've got clients coming tomorrow to drop dogs off, and I'm guessing they won't want to step out of their cars into 8" of snow, lol.

Elisa, it will all be over soon. Stay strong...cookies are not the boss of you! ;)

Mel, how did the workout go...are you back in the weight room now?

I had a good LB workout tonight. Worked at about half my previous weights/reps, which felt good. Still easing my way back into lifting. So far, so good, with the previously injured left arm.

Mel
12-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Back in the weight room! I did have good workout yesterday, and will be doing legs at lunch with a new gym buddy. She's pretty hard core and fun, so it makes for a good workout. It's fun to meet new people with new exercises, but who share the outlook and lifestyle.

Food is on, but that will change tomorrow. I've PLANNED two days of major meals, and will just deal with it. Much better than feeling guilty about it.

Cardio today will be vacuuming, wiping down my entire house, then steam cleaning all my carpets tonight :faint: DD is allergic to our cat and she'll be home tomorrow morning. Poor kitty goes in the basement for her visits.

Have a good one!

Mel

elisa822
12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
I put the extra cookies in the downstairs freezer! phew...that helped a bit and I had a decent run on the treadmill yesterday (still hate it, wish I could be outside).

I have a couple of more "functions" over the holiday season so I'm just trying to limit the damage and not get out of control. This is a tough time of year!

DH is going for his fitness assessment next week and then I hope to be able to work in some weekend trips to the gym, now that he'll join me! I also scheduled myself for another assessment, to see where I'm at. I didn't realize that we could go as often as every 2 months for an update, if we want.

Mel - I'm with you...there are sometimes (as long as it's not too often ;) when you just have to know you'll eat more than usual and just enjoy, and then get right back on track. I have to make a mountain of latkes (if you know what they are) for my family party and I tend to "taste" too many! It's a once a year thing, and I just love them.

jam - sounds like you're getting right back into the workouts so good for you!!

It's still freezing here but supposed to rain a lot in the next few days...crazy weather. And I just booked a trip to LA in January for a few days to visit a friend. She says it's not too warm but I'm bringing my running shoes and I'm definitely going to go for a run or two while I'm there. I'm thrilled at the thought of getting outside.

Tomato
12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Cheryl,

We have had so much snow in the past week that it is unbelievable, and it keeps snowing every friggin' day. Another major snowfall expected tonight (to continue overnight and until tomorrow afternoon, then is should change to rain). I heard, but haven't verified, that after Christmas the temps should stay above zero - I cannot wait. However, it would take two weeks of summer weather to melt all the snow that we already have.
I continue shoveling and my shoulders are feeling the strain. Last night, I had to rub some of the Myoflex ointment on my shoulders and I took Advil, too.

Do you anything with dogs? Do tell! My good deed for today was that I found a stray Husky running around in my street (I am spitting distance from a major road and a ramp to the expressway) with no owner in sight. The dog had no ID but thank God he had a chain choker. So after playing some catch & run I managed to get hold of him and drove him to the Humane Society and left him there. I hope the owners will have the sense to call HS to inquire if there is an extra Husky. He is still a puppy, well a grown up puppy, I can't estimate how old - I think 1 year at most.

Alena

Mel
12-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Alena- If no one claims him, send him south! I love huskies. On my way to work every morning, I drive past a woman walking a husky. Since it has gotten cold, I swear that dog is grinning ear to ear :)

Hope the Canadians and mid-westerners aren't completely buried! It's just COLD here, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow :( DD and I wanted to ski while she is here, but the weather doesn't look promising.

Great leg workout today- my butt is already sore!

Mel

Tomato
12-24-2008, 10:42 AM
LOL Mel! I will check if he still there next week.
Yeah, he was pretty happy running around in the snow and I knew he would be ok staying out all day, but it was not safe for him.

If the weather continues the same pattern, I may have to cancel my gym membership because all I do is shovel snow (not bad for exercise but you don't work all your muscles evenly :( ). I did an hour of Zumba last night and then I shoveled 30 minutes. This morning, there were another good 8" of the white stuff. I shoveled for a full hour and if it wasn't for a neighbour with a snowblower to help me clear about a 1/3 of the driveway entrance (where it was piled almost 2 ft high by the snowploughs) I would have been desperate - I felt my energy level dropping fast by that point (I did not even do sidewalk, there was no time and mainly no energy left. But he did the sidewalk, too.)
I think 4 snow storms in a week is a bit too much.

I wish you all wonderful Christmas or what other holidays you celebrate, and lots of weight lifting in 2009!!!
Here is a little Christmas card from your truly, with authentic wishes in Czech. :D

P.S. Really, I just wanted to prove to you that I have always been a hot ticket - already in kindergarten! :-)

midwife
12-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Sooo cute, Alena! Merry Christmas to you!!

I do not even know how people survive in the kind of cold you all are having. :brr: I had to wear gloves when I ran yesterday and I felt quite put out!

My quads are sore today....don't you all feel sorry for me? ;)

jamsk8r
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Mel, glad to hear that you had a good workout. Your new lifting partner sounds like a good match for you. I'll be waiting to hear what kind of torture the two of you come up with, lol. Like you, I've resigned myself to 2 days of being off-plan, and just not stressing about it. Back OP on Friday.

Elisa, latkes! :love: I hope it works out with the dh getting into the gym with you. That will be cool. WTG on banishing the cookies!

Alena, great picture! How cute is that? Sorry to hear about all your snow there...you've certainly got me beat. The boy and I spent 2 hours shoveling and chipping ice yesterday, to clear a spot at the bottom of the driveway. The plan is to just shovel some tracks so I can back my van down and park it in the clear spot. We're getting more snow as I type this, but it's supposed to warm up and turn to rain today or tomorrow.
You asked about dogs. I board and train dogs at my house, that's the paying gig. I'm a single mom and my ds12 is a homeschooler, so I needed a job I could do at home and still have time for being the mom and taking care of things around the house. I also have 2 dogs of my own, and what we do for fun is pulling sports: dog scootering, weight pulling, and I used to do cart driving with my previous dog, which was really fun. Mostly we scooter in winter, which is like dog sledding/mushing, but without the snow (er..usually, lol). Your husky friend would like that, I'm sure!

I had a decent UB workout last night, at home, but I'll be glad when the roads clear up so I can get back to the Y. I've gotten pretty good at improvising at home, but an actual barbell and a bench would be nice! Today is the family dinner thing, then Xmas at home with my boy tomorrow.

Lydia227
12-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Alena! What an adorable card! Thanks so much for sharing. All of your snow stories make me feel so much better about our green and wet Christmas Eve. I'll pass all the snow wishes onto Pennsylvania for you Mel. :lol:

Wow. Lets just say it's been really busy here. In the middle of it all, my washing machine has died. Always on a holiday weekend. ~sigh~ Once it was the furnace on Thanksgiving. The repair guy was wonderful and just walked us through the repair over the phone with no charge. Loved that! The world is full of good people.

So. I have perfected the chocolate chip cookie. Anyone interested or should I just remain quiet about that. :s: I'm not going to go into the food porn over there but lets just say I'm doing baaaad things in the kitchen. :devil: Okay, making but not eating. At least not as much as I would want too.

I have been consistent with the workouts this week. :yay: Today I decided just to do an hour of cardio and skip the lifting. Why? Because I have a ton of work to do and no time to nap. I can do cardio without it draining me but when I lift I seriously need to go straight home, eat the egg whites and go take a 45 minute nap. Probably just a habit for me from the very beginning when I used to nap with DS2 as a toddler that I just haven't broken out of yet. Anyone else feel that need to nod off after a really heavy lifting session followed with a balanced lunch? Just wondering.

Happy Holidays to all you! :xcheer: :han: Hope everyone is safe and sound and surrounded by love and happiness. :goodvibes:

jamsk8r
12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Lydia, great to hear from you! I don't nap. I'm sure I could, but I hate sleeping, honestly, and only do it because I have to. I guess I feel like time is racing by, sometimes, and I don't want to miss anything good! How goofy is that? :frypan:

I am sore, sore, sore from my LB workout on Monday. I am feeling it when I go to sit down, or bend down to pick something up off the floor..ouch. Must have been a better workout than I thought!

WaterRat
12-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Just a quick Hi! :wave: I have the day off and DH and I are about to go off to the gym and a couple last minute errands. We had about 4" of new snow yesterday, so everything is clean and white for Christmas.

Happy Holidays to you all - whether :han: or :xcheer:

Mel
12-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Happy Holidays to all! Last night we had Hanukkah dinner with real latkes (I've been putting off making them) then opened Christmas presents. Did I mention how mixed up our family is? Since my kids are WELL beyond the Santa years, we opted to sleep in this morning and do presents last night. It was wonderful!

This afternoon we are heading to my brother's for another mixed up holiday feast.

I can't even describe how sore I am from my Tuesday leg session :o Yesterday I did speed and incline intervals on the treadmill which probably made it worse. It feels good :dizzy: It's been years since I was this sore. I hope my new friend is not cursing me.

Lydia, your ice arrive right on time here yesterday. DD said it was so bad Monday night in Columbus that she kept falling walking two blocks in German Village. She was supposed to drive home Tuesday night, but would have been coming right along with that lovely mess. She opted to fly in yesterday morning, a much safer choice! It was so bad here that When I went out to get the paper yesterday morning, I slipped on our brick front walk, so I tried going across the lawn. The lawn was no better! Surprisingly, most of the roads were ok.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Mel

Mel
12-26-2008, 07:13 AM
OOOOOOH! Going skiing today on only slightly sore legs :)

Mel

Tomato
12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Just a quick Hi - I am back to work today (but only for today). I figured it will good for my bank account if I work (and get paid holiday hours) as opposed to roam the stores and buy stuff that I don't really need. Boxing Day is good for that (i.e. for making you cough up $ you didn't need to spend in the first place).

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I am very proud of myself - I did yesterday a full hour of Jackie Warner's Work Out. It has 3 parts - Upper Body, Lower Body and Abs - each part runs for 20 minutes.
I was almost finished after the Upper Body (have to admit my shoulders are still a bit sore from all the shoveling). Lower Body was tough and I thought I would quit when I am done with that, but then when I was donel, I decided NO QUITTING and I finished everything. But man, I was soaked. I have to do her abs routine more often.

Lydia - I love the term "food porn"! :rofl: Please do share the recipe for the chocolate chip cookie - sometimes, I need to bring cookies and such to a meetings at work and I am sure eveyrbody would love your choc. chip ones.

Elisa and Mel - please do tell how you make your latkes. I make what we call at home "potato pancakes" and I am not sure how different they are from latkes. Elisa, did you say you used sweet potatoes?
I am always ready to expand my culinary horizons.

Cheryl - too bad you don't live anywhere close. I would love to board my dogs with you. I am always so torn when I, once in a blue moon, need to board my dogs - I am sure I would be able to breathe easier if I could leave them with you. Maybe I could actually take a vacation every once in a while and travel, like normal people do? :D:scooter:

Everybody else - :wave:
If you travel - I hope the weather is good and the roads are safe.

Oh, by the way, I weighed myself and I am now officially 45 lbs lighter than I was when I started on this fun journey. Ok, gotta go and get some :coffee: and some serious work.

TTYL

Alena

WaterRat
12-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi Alena ! I'm working today too. It's not a holiday in the US but I think a lot of folks wanted the looong weekend. Since the city I work for doesn't close, our staff split as to having today or next Friday off. I don't have kids at home, so I was willing to work today and have next Friday off.

My gym is closed today so any exercise will be at home. We've had about 6-8" of new snow since Wed morning, so DH is getting his shoveling. :) If it stops and the roads are clear, we will go to Anchorage (50 miles) with another couple tonight to go square dancing. All weather dependent though. The gym is open Sat and closed again on Sun (which is always is). I guess because it's a small town, small gym, it can't afford to keep the hours of a bigger chain gym. There is a larger one about 1/2 hour away, but that's too far for me on a regular basis.

jamsk8r
12-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Alena, 45 lbs is awesome! When I passed 40 lbs, I thought, "that's a bag of dog food...day-umm!" lol...I'm a dog person, I can't help it! ;)

Well, the holiday foodfest was ugly. Too much of the wrong food for 2 days. Thankfully, it's over for me, and I've never been so happy to be back OP! Lots of water today, have a LB workout to make up along with my UB lifting today, then I'm going to run as long as I can stand to, because I've got some serious work to do. Errands first, though, so I'd better get on them.

Mel, have fun with the skiing! I don't care you'll be burning like 3000 calories today...I'm not jealous! ;)

Edit: Hi Pat :wave: We were posting at the same time. Have fun square dancing! I tried that two times, but it's not meant to be, I think. It takes me forever to get dance steps right, and SD moves too fast for my brain. I'm glad somebody can do it, though!

Tomato
12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Pat, square dancing sounds like fun! That will burn some mighty calories!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for good weather for you. And when you are in Anchorage, and happen to run into a greyhound in a really fancy-schmancy coat, please hi for me. That is the only coat of mine (from previous years when I used to make greyhound coats) that is walking in Alaska.

Cheryl, good thinking - I have never thought of it in terms of dog kibble, although that line of thinking usually kicks in before anything else does. (I wish kibble was available in 50 lb bags - what's with the 40?)

Lydia227
12-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Mel: Have a great time skiing today. I hope it's not raining there like it is here today. Thunderstorms really. Tomorrow is supposed to be 69 to 70 degrees. Weird. :dunno:

Alena: Wow Lady! 45 pounds is awesome. :yes: Nice job getting that workout in yesterday too. That's the kind of commitment that will keep those pounds from every returning. My workout was a fifteen minute ride on my bike in the basement. I'm sick. :faint: Cold. It's typical. I always get sick between Christmas and New Years. Although it's been happening almost every years since I was in college it still takes me by surprise when it initially hits and then I remember. "Oh, yeah. That's right...." It usually kept me home on New Years Eve when I was younger. Now I'm too old to care. :lol:

Obviously no workout for me today. Unless you count the trips from my bed to the kitchen for fluids and vitamins and back to the bed again. It's really not that bad though. I've got a lot of books I'm trying to get through. I also really need the down time to put together some new functional fitness type routines that are a little different than the straight lifting I've been doing since fall. My routine it becoming so stale that I'm feel angry about it. How silly is that. I've just been really busy studying all the concepts and theories that support the exercises I'm doing but neglecting the nuts and bolts of my own program.

Pat: Have a great time square dancing this evening. I hope your DH has the enthusiasm to do this after shoveling all of that snow. Like Cheryl, I never really got the hang of square dancing. Where I grew up it was something that many people did at weddings and such. Most of the people grew up knowing how to do these dances before they were five years old. Not me. :no: I always got lost in the circle and would miss half of the cues because I never could anticipate what would traditionally be called next. I will add though that they were a lot of fun especially with a group of really good friends. :devil:

Cheryl: No worries. Two days of holiday eating does not cancel out and entire year of mostly awesome choices and exercise. I actually look forward all year to this week in December when I'm grumbling about eating one more scrambled egg white lunch. :lol: The reality is this: after the brunch from yesterday and the perfect chocolate chip cookies my face feels bloated! Ugh. Really, my face feels and looks puffy. The scale is showing about a two pound increase and I swear it's all above my neck. So, instead of yearning for the treats in December as I often do throughout the year, I'm now reflecting and visualizing how great I felt most of the time during the year when I'm doing most everything right. Ahhh. Balance. Now, back to my book.

Oh Alena, the cookies. The secret is to use unbleached bread flour. Three cups instead of the 2 1/4 cup and 2 tsps of baking soda instead of 1 tsp when following the Toll House recipe. Also, refrigerate the dough overnight. 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Mmmmm. Not a crisp cookie. Not exactly cakey either but just in between. A spread that is just right. Oh, and use unsalted butter instead of margarine or shortening. This is of course for the benefit of your coworkers. :devil:

Have a great afternoon everyone!

sportmom
12-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi all, checking in from atlanta where it's a lovely 55 degrees (but not sunny, so don't be TOO jealous!) I survived the eatfests and even was told about how I'm not eating much. Well, to be honest, southern cooking doesn't agree with my stomach anymore so I stick to things i know won't kill my stomach like potatoes and the non-red meats. I tried a biscuit (sans gravy) and some sausage (1 small dollar size) and that was eee-nuff for me and a small reminder of why I can't eat that stuff. Did a fbwo on C'mas eve and even trained my sister, who is 58. When she dared to say that a "woman her age" cannot do this stuff with her ortheoarthritis, I had to come right back and tell her about this "woman I know" who is a master trainer and lifter and that canNOT be her excuse any longer! (thanks for being that example Mel!) Then we went for a quick neighborhood walk before the dinner, and I sprinted up a hill and really really challenged myself. Back to the weights workout, the whole time my sister was like, why are you breathing so hard? It must be your asthma or I'm in really better shape than you ;)! I said I didn't really know (couldn't be rude and tell her). When we were done, she was watching me do my last few exercises and asked to try to lift what I was lifting. She was like, 'ok, now I'm breathing hard too - WOW!' So she got the point without me pointing it out. LOL Insted, I had tried to tell her that done correctly, lifting could be just as good of a heart pumper as cardio work, but she didn't quite connect the 2 until she wanted to lift my weight. I'm trying to get her to realize she needs a trainer and should join the Y but she thinks she doesn't have time.

Lydia227
12-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Fran: That sounds like such a wonderful visit with your sister. It sounds like you not only may have motivated her but gave her some things to think about through your example. Go :yay: Fran :yay: Go

elisa822
12-26-2008, 09:31 PM
I hope everyone had a great holiday and good times with friends and family! :hug: We had our Hanukah party yesterday and yes, I made 10 lbs. of latkes, and yes I ate too many!! Thankfully, that's a once a year treat for me.

I have one or two more functions where I'm fairly certain that I'll be enjoying myself foodwise but I'm getting ready to get back on track. At least I have not used the bad food meals as an excuse to go completely crazy. I think that's what's kept me from the 10lb. holiday gain. I've only be checking in on the scale once a week or so and so far it's not too scary.

Alena - before I forget, you asked about the latkes. Latkes and potato pancakes are the same thing. I think latkes is a Yiddish word that's made it's way into the English language. As for recipes, I'm happy to share but mine are nothing special to other people, just to my family, because they taste exactly like my grandmother's. No sweet potatoes for me, although I've heard that's yummy. And most people put in onion, but not me. Mine are just grated potato (old recipe by hand, now just the steel blade in the cuisinart); they're drained well and then I add some flour, egg and salt and that's it. No real written down recipe but I'd love to hear what you do. And 45 lbs is amazing...good for you!! :D

Lydia - those cookies sound yummy but I think I'm off cookies for the next while! We're supposed to get some weird weather here too but not that warm. Maybe in the 50's and a lot of rain. We had a lot of snow so let's hope for no flooding!

Fran - that is a great story and good for you for being patient and being able to make your point in a much more effective way than the obvious! And I'll take 55 and sunny...that sounds quite lovely!

Lydia227
12-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Elisa: Knowing all of the cookies you have baked this year for the holidays I'm sure your more than happy to walk away from the oven. :lol: Me too! :yes: Whenever the urge to bake something occurs in the summer I just recall these mid December bakefests and the urge passes quickly.

I've just finished reading Thin is the New Happy, by Valerie Frankel. It's a memoir of the author's battle with weight and the final desire to develop a healthy body image. Throughout the book I found a few similarities but I kept waiting for her to finally figure "it" out. Toward the end of the book I was about to lose hope for her long term success until page 238 when she witnesses a svelte and very fit woman in her seventies benching 125 pounds for 12 reps, stretches and does it again. She further writes about how this woman goes through her lifting routine in the free weights section as if she's done it a thousand times before when it occurs to her that she probably has.

I love how she goes on to describe this woman:

"She went on to perform feats of strength...that a forty year old man would crow about. The whole time this AARP pinup smiled as she moved around the equipment. She glistened with the sheen of accomplishment. She shone with an inner light of strength. I watched her go through her paces openly awed by the bionic septuagenarian." The woman sees her watching and winks at her in acknowledgment.

"What did the wink mean? Probably nothing...A covert message, 'Be good to your body, because it's the only one you will get." The alternative? Wind up like the obese women sprawled in the groaning lounge chairs who'd driven three blocks from their houses to the pool because it was too far for them to walk."

She goes on to say that she suddenly wanted to be that bench pressing granny. She wanted to be her at forty-one, fifty-two...ninety-two.

Here's the best part, "The choice was obvious, there was no more fooling around with weight loss and regain...activity, inactivity. At a certain stage in the aging process fitness shouldn't be a goal or an obsession. Fitness is life itself. You have to love your body as a living organism not hate it as a flawed decorative statue.....My new role model was the iron-pumping grandma with the fingerless gloves with the frosted blond hair. When the body image demons rattled the cage I would think of her and remember I only have one body and one choice."

I would have to agree. Now, how many of us reading this smiled thinking about ourselves doing this too in in seventies, eighties, and god willing, our nineties. :^: Anyway, the image made me smile and I just had to share.

Mel
12-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Lydia, thank you for that story! Feel better :hug:

midwife
12-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Lydia.

jamsk8r
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Great. Even the 70 year old lady benches more than I do.

Tomato
12-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Great. Even the 70 year old lady benches more than I do.

Hahaha, Cheryl. My thoughts exactly. :D

jamsk8r
12-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Alena, I'm guessing she could outrun me, too. I'm not bitter! lol. I'd love to be that buff at any age!

Yesterday I did the Crossfit workout, or a wimped down version, anyway. I just needed a change from running, and it had some lifts I hadn't tried before, so it was fun, and humbling, as usual. :)

Today I'm putzing around the house, trying to learn about strength building, and trying to come up with a rough plan for workouts over the next 2 months or so. I'm feeling pretty burned out on running lately, plus the rink might be closing for 6 weeks or so, which means I need to choose some alternatives for cardio. The lifting is going well, no problems, so I'm also taking a look at my short term goals for that, and trying to make sure my workouts are going to reflect that.

All our snow is pretty much melted...we had a little sunshine today, which was nice! I'd better get off here and get on with it! Hope you're all enjoying the weekend.

Mel
12-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Happy Monday :p Yesterday I ate completely clean for the first day since Christmas Eve.... I can honestly say I feel better, and after doing my regular cardio this morning, I feel almost normal...fatter, but normal! Lifting at lunch :)

Cheryl- Hard to believe the snow is gone after seeing pictures of Washington state!

How are you Ontario chickies faring? Are the snow piles up to the car tops yet?

It has been warm and rainy here- I'll need to give it another week before I go back up to the Poconos to ski. It's probably slush there too.

We acquired a Wii Sport and I've become addicted to Wii tennis. The result is tennis shoulder and tennis elbow, but I'm getting pretty darn good at it! It beats sitting on the couch, but I do feel a little silly playing video games!

Off to work for two days :dizzy:

Mel

elisa822
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Well I'm trying for one of my few clean eating days this month! There's been a few, but not enough. I think I'm slowly getting back on track.

Mel - the snow is pretty much gone here! Depends where you live but, while we had a lot for December, the rain and warmer temperatures for the last few days, took care of most of it. I'm sure it will be back though!

I'm feeling a bit under the weather with a sudden cold hitting me yesterday. It's not too bad but I'd rather be at home, than one of the few working people today. I'm thinking I might skip the gym and get some soup for lunch. I hope to be back at the gym tomorrow and Friday and then back to a sort of normal schedule after that.

I hope all you not-working people are enjoying the time off!

WaterRat
12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
:wave: Hi from the frozen north. We have both tons of snow and frigid weather. -20F at our house this morning, and it's supposed to be below zero all week, daytime included! On the up side, it's 1.5 minutes lighter today. :lol:

I'm working 3 days this week, with a skelton staff. I have a bunch of year-end stuff to get done. THen the 4 day weekend involves a lot of work at home - from taking down the tree to moving all the furniture out of our basement home office and tearing up the old carpet. DH is going to lay new carpet tiles which likely won't take as long as either taking out or putting back the furniture! After that we move onto the sewing/craft room which has much more "stuff" to move, but at least not the electronics that are in the office (computer, DSL modem, wireless modem, and the boxes that run our DTV system - which is delivered over the phone lines).

Anyway, I've been slacking on lifting, and tonight will again be cardio. I think I'll pull out my NROLW and get back on that. I've got a long stretch - 2.5 months - that I'm home with no traveling. And all of my evening work-related commitments are spread out well. I should be able to keep a decent routine going.

It looks like I'll have made it through the holidays with minimal or no weight gain. Yippee! My "official" weigh-in will be 1/5, but the parties are over, and except for my birthday next week and our anniversary on the 22nd (which will likely be combined in one dinner out) there are no food landmines waiting.

I'm determined to be back at my goal weight before the end of June when I'm going on a cruise with 4 GFs.... in - don't laugh - SE Alaska! We actually fly to Seattle, cruise for 7 days and end up back in Seattle. It's a quilting cruise, and SE Alaska is mosly inaccessible by car so this is not as outrageous as it sounds.

Lydia227
12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Pat: That is cold! Oh my. Enjoy all your at home projects. I'm dying to get all of this Christmas garb put away but the boys wig out if I take it down before New Years. I'm hanging on for just a few more days and then I get my house back.

After three days in bed I finally made it back to the gym. DH went with me as well. Lets just say I'm still not completely recovered and my workout was less than inspiring. Thirty minutes of cardio and my plan was to do a yoga podcast for another half hour. So I go over to the mats only to find that someone has set up a circuit with kettle bells on the mats. The only place for me to begin core work was between these two kettle bell swinging kids. Thankfully they didn't drop one and my sons still have a mother to say hello to each day. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Tomato
12-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi gang!

I had major fun shopping the past two days. Most stores are having a Boxing Day sales not only on Boxing Day but the entire week between Xmas and New Year (I keep forgetting that there is no Boxing Day in the US - in case you don't know, it is Dec 26th well all stores are having a major post-Xmas sale and the whole nation goes shopping).

I went to the mall and within some 15 minutes, I found myself in a very nice leather boots (that unfortunately were NOT on sale). I was so delighted that they had my size, that I could get into them (always a big issue with my high instep) and that for the FIRST time in history, my Slavic calves fit into North American boots. I didn't really plan on buying boots, but I am sure you will all understand that I simply had to. :D

Then, since I had such nice boots, I decided I may as well start wearing a skirt - so let's find a nice skirt. And indeedy, I did. I found a section with black skirts, selected one the cut of which I liked but I knew it would be a tad big for me (so that you know, I used to sew all my clothing so I can pretty much tell if something is too big/too small for me) and I asked the sales lady if they would have the same skirt in brown. She asked what size, and when I asked for size 4, she declared, "Wow, you are SO TINY!" LOL it was such a riot; I was thinking if only she knew how many hours at the gym that cost ..... ;)
So that was a skirt that I didn't plan to buy either, but it fits me like a glove and is quite long (a rare find if you are my height) - so I had to get it, too. :D

And then I stopped at a leather store that was having a massive sale. It did not take me very long to find a rather cute leather trench coat (3/4 length) that I liked, except, ummm, size L was too big for me and there was too much room in the hips. The sales lady said, "you need a Medium" and immediately fetched it from the back. I put it on and it was just my size. She says "You are so tall and SO SLIM!" :D At that point, I thought SOMEBODY PINCH ME - maybe this is just a dream.
Okaaay, so I was not planning on buying a leather jacket either - but really, would you have left it there (at 70% off)???

So there you have it. I don't dare to check out my credit card balance :fr:

I am pretty much on plan with exercise and eating, so that part is fine, but today, soon after I woke up I found that something is wrong with my back. I don't know if I somehow pulled a muscle at the gym yesterday, but I have pain on the left side of my lower back (not a pinched nerve, it is not radiating, I only feel it when I move a certain way). I drove to Toronto today to visit a friend and the almost 2 hour drive made it a lot worse. Getting in and out of the car (we went to some more stores but this time it was my friend spending money) was agony. I don't know what's wrong and it does not look like it will be ok tomorrow (I was planning on getting on the treadmill).

Pat - stay warm!!!

Elisa - thanks for the latke recipe, yes, it is pretty much the way we make them, although we often add finely chopped sausage or bacon, some crushed garlic and a very generous amount of dried marjoram (rubbed between your hands until it is powder-like). Back at home, typically fried in lard. :fr::fr::fr:

Our snow is gone, too - two days ago it was 11 degrees (Celsius) and overnight, most of the snow in my backyard disappeared. There are still piles of snow in the street (from shoveling) but they shrank in size considerably. We had major winds and tonight, the wind is back - I heard on the radio that it's doing 80 clicks an hour.

Lydia - thanks for the cookie recipe - of course I had no idea what you other recipe you compared it to but I found it. Copied and saved for future use.

I think it will be an early night for me today because my back does not hurt when I am horizontal.
Wishing you all a good night.

kittycat40
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
popping in to get some training inspiration--

GREAT SHOPPING TALE TOMATO!! :):):)

Happy Holidays!

Mel
12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I was so delighted that they had my size, that I could get into them (always a big issue with my high instep) and that for the FIRST time in history, my Slavic calves fit into North American boots. I didn't really plan on buying boots, but I am sure you will all understand that I simply had to.

Oh, Elena! I understand perfectly for the opposite reason. I've wanted boots for years and finally found some that fit last fall at an exorbitant price. But they fit! I have chicken calves (really strong chicken, tho ;) ) and look like Olivoyle ( how do you spell that??) in most boots.

Congratulations! Yeah, if people only knew all the gym time and food vigilance. The phrase "you're so lucky" makes me see red!

I'm off to work..blah. But I have another killer leg workout scheduled for lunch :)

Lydia, hope you are back to normal soon. You've really had a long bout this fall and winter.

Last night I think I lost 5 gallons of water :rofl: Eating clean for 2 days after a carb and sugar fest will do that.

Mel

midwife
12-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a great shopping trip! I would have bought the jacket too. And the boots and skirt. :carrot:

sportmom
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi all, ok, today it really IS 50 and sunny here! :p We'll be wrapping up our trip in a few more days and I'm :crossed: hopeful that I will not show a gain on the scale when I get back. In fact, I think it would be fairly impossible, so maybe a loss even? But it's hard to predict these days what my body will do so who knows.........

Any resolutions-making going on here???

jamsk8r
12-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Elisa, sorry to hear about the cold. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Pat, SE Alaska is great to see by boat! Will you get to stop along the way to soak in the hot springs? :beach:

Lydia, glad all your parts are still intact, lol. I've always wanted to try the kettlebells, but I haven't gotten that brave yet. Maybe I should buy one and practice at home first, so I don't embarrass myself. :D

Alena, love the shopping trip story! Boots! I could see getting sucked into that one myself...maybe this coming year.. :cloud9: I have the big calves, too, from skating.

Kitty, :wave:

Mel, yep, the snow was crazy, but a few warm days took care of it. I'm using the term "warm" loosely there. You never told us about your skiing adventure.. how'd it go? I've been reading some of the archives, and found some old BFL posts from 2002 when you were just a baby lifter! Even then, you were kickin' butt in the weight room, though! :lifter:

As for me, I'm just trying to get back to a normal schedule. I've been staying up too late and not going to the gym, even though I could now that the weather is back to normal. I've still been working out at home, but I just need to get back to the daily routine. When I get up on time and get my workout first thing, I just feel like the rest of the day is a lot more productive, KWIM?

jamsk8r
12-31-2008, 03:17 AM
Well, tried the 5x5 for my new workout, and discovered the reason why the cookie cutter strength programs only have 3 lifts per workout. It's because you spend more time resting than lifting, with only 5 reps per set, lol. Oh well, I'm learning by trial and error...lots of error. :frypan:

Seems like I may have to stick with lighter weights for the bench press or come up with an alternative. I was home using DBs tonight for it, and only had a pair of 20 pounders, but was having pain in my wrist/forearm even with that. I might try the chest press machine that takes regular plates...maybe that will be easier on my forearm/wrist until it gets back to normal, and will let me work my chest with heavier weights? I also might try wrapping the wrist...that one has always been the first to tweak because I've crunched it so many times either skating or crashing the dog scooter.

Okay, way past my bedtime. Till tomorrow! :wave:

Tomato
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Mel as a baby lifter? LOL I have to hit the archives as well. :-)

I am in a state of enforced inactivity and I am not liking it. Monday morning, when I woke up, I realized I had some pain in my lower back on the left side, and it was getting progressively worse during the day (3+ hours of driving did not exactly help). Even worse yesterday morning, so I went to a walk-in clinic in the afternoon and the doc put me on some anti-inflammatory stuff and said to ice it. Not feeling any better today and there is snow to shovel! Eek.

I will hit the treadmill as he said I should not be immobile. Wish me luck. I will go crazy if it doesn't go away.
By the way, if you are spending New Year's Eve at home like myself, here are some recommendations of really good movies I saw this past week:
Burn After Reading / The Duchess / The Women (-> this one is a chick flick)

Best wishes of a Happy and STRONG New Year to you all, and let's hope all the pains and aches will go away and we can give our best to lifting.
I love you all, and thank you for being such good friends.

Alena