Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 06:49 PM   #1  

Angry Fabulous 40's #123

Me again

TERRI, the women I work with can not believe how much Pete loves to shop. Before we go into the store I have to tell him, not to get lost & I'm buying what I came for & that's it. We joke about it all the time. He bought a new cell phone with so many features. He wanted me to help him with it. Me of all people

HollyGirl, you hang in there. My 2 sisters are stuck in unhappy marriages. Well, one of them is getting a legal separation after 26 yrs! My oldest is married to an alcoholic & stays with him cause she feels sorry for him. This is my second marriage. My first one was a disaster. I was only 18 when I got married. I got divorced after 8 years then 1 yr later met my hubby. Best thing that ever happened to me. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Hope you have some fun tonight. You deserve it.

Well, going to get my clothes ready for work tomorrow.

Have a nice evening everybody

Love,
Es

Last edited by Livinghealthy; 04-28-2002 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:15 PM   #2  

OMG - some bad news. A student was stabbed at my university today apparently by a teaching assistant who may have been her ex-boyfriend. She's in critical condition and he shot himself to death when the police surrounded the school. I can't even imagine what its going to be like at work tomorrow. I don't know the whole story yet, the president's assistant left a message on my phone this evening. The one thing that I'm grateful for is that is was on a weekend so there weren't many students at school. I can't believe it.

I'll let you guys know what happened tomorrow.

Hugs,
Dianne
Old 04-29-2002, 04:59 AM   #3  

Exclamation

Dianne, that's awful!!!!! This seems to happen a lot!! Jealous boyfriends. I'll pray for her.

Keep us posted.
Take care of yourself.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:39 AM   #4  

OMG Dianne,
That is horrible. Please keep us posted. Be careful.

Hollygirl,
That is sad that you are not happy. I hope things work out for you. You have taken a step in the right direction. Maybe you will be happier once you start feeling better about yourself.
Try to have fun tonight you deserve it.

Es,
Pete sounds like such a NICE guy like my Bruce. Funny too.

Talk to y'all later. Hi everybody!
Terri
Old 04-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #5  
Queen of the Fresh Start

Dianne, that is awful news. I hope your day will have some calm moments. Senseless acts like these affect many people.

Es, Joe is the EXACT opposite of Pete when it comes to shopping....especially when it comes to clothing. Of course he's happy in Home Depot or the Bass Pro (fishing) stores.
I was also married when I was 18, and Joe was 19. We are very lucky it has worked all these years. Of course we realize now that we were babies and didn't know each other at all!

Well, it looks as though the end is finally in sight....after more than a week of prepping, we've begun to paint! My kids don't understand why it's taking so long, and have said I'd never make it on Trading Spaces. They're right, as we washed and primed before painting; on that show they just empty the room and slap the paint on. Joe usually wants to relax when he gets home from work, and has only put in weekend work on it.

I've chosen a darker taupe color for the walls and an ivory shade for the ceiling/woodwork. Still haven't found the right fabric for the window treatments/pillows, or a rug I like. Shopping is sooo time consuming! I've had to juggle that along with studying, haven't begun any gardening yet. How did I ever work full time?? We've been discussing my returning to work in the fall; one of us is ready for it, and one of us isn't

Terri, did I read that Brittany is turning 16 ? Wow, where do the years go? She was just 14, wasn't she! lol Glad you had a good trip to D.C. Is the security still very tight there?

to everyone.......have a wonderful Monday,
~Jen
Old 04-29-2002, 12:12 PM   #6  

Jen,
I wonder who wants the return to work.
Yes she was 14 two yrs. ago. It is going fast.
That is so cool about your room plans. We are doing the entire outside and I am going to do part of the inside before the in-laws come down. Getting excited. I wish I was Samantha though. Now that would be cool except we wouldn't have met cause once I started getting fat I would have just twitched the ole' nose.
TTYL,
Terri
Old 04-29-2002, 01:20 PM   #7  

Welcome Back Terri!!!!!!!!!:
It is so good to have you back. You always seemed to me kind of a spiritual leader of this group. Somehow you keep us focused. It is so wonderful to "hear" your virtual voice again.

Zoe,
Glad you got your modem stuff worked out. It is a necessity these days, isn't it.

Dianne,
I was wondering about your mom. I am glad to hear that she has stablized. Don't feel guilty about not going to see her every day. She knows you love her and she wants you to take care of yourself and your family too.

Es,
That is so funny that Pete likes to go shopping. Steve hates it. I want to get a dining room table and I guess I'm going to just have to go without him. I hope you guys have been able to settle things with the cable company. Not being able to see the Yankees play would be awful. We don't have cable. We just don't watch enough TV to warrant the cost. I would probably take up residency in a local sports bar, but here in CA they don't broadcast the east coast games very often anyway.

Holly,
I am sorry that things aren't going well. I agree with Terri. If you start feeling better about yourself, the other things should start to work themselves out. Hang in there girl. E-mail me if you ever just want to "talk" <[email protected]>

Hi to Mel, Jen, Ruth, Myra, 40x40, ChicagoMiss, Sandy, Pogo. I appologize if I forgot anyone

Hugs,
JanieD

Last edited by JanieD; 04-29-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:19 PM   #8  

Hi Buddies

Wowowow Terri, It is so amazing to see you back, welcome home!!!

Things are going really well now, much calmer as work has slowed down, my mom is continuing to progress, and I am really enjoying working out in my garden. We mostly have flowering trees and perennials, but I usually grow tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, beans and zucchini. Here in Mass, it is still too early for planting the tender stuff outside. I have grow lights inside where I have been tending my little seedlings. Since we have no pets, I suppose you might catch me talking to my plants, especially when I am disturbing them to transplant them.

Dianne ,
That is so horrifying about that student, I hope she will make it.
I didn't realize you had been visiting your mom every day. I am actually relieved to hear that you are going a little less often. I have to say "been there done that"with my mom, and it is not a good idea to overdo and forget to take care of yourself in these stressful times.
Janie ,
I will have to avoid talking baseball with you guys, we have some really avid Sox fans here.
Essie,
You will have to lend me your shopper, none of my guys want to step in a store of any kind unless the situation is absolutely dire!!
Holly Take a breath sweetie, that PMS can make everything look worse. Perhaps you are in the wrong situation, but first look out for what you need to do to feel better about you. Visit here often for support.
Zoe glad your modem is ship shape again!
Jen That is exciting that you are redecorating, I hope to some day. In the meantime we are coasting along with the previous owner's taste and saving what I earn for the 2 boys college tuition. Dave is finishing his sophomore year, and Greg will be going in 3 years.

Hi Pogo, Mel, Viola and anyone I missed,
Hugs,Sandy
Old 04-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #9  

Hi guys:

Just a quick update on the student. She is going to make it, thank God.

Apparently, she and this teaching assistant had a relationship for 2 years and she broke it off about 4 months ago. He wanted to get back together with her, etc..........I guess this is the old story of romance gone bad. Anyway, apparently they had an argument while in one of the labs and he stabbed her twice in the chest with an 8 inch knife. She was able to stumble up to the 1st floor lobby where the guard was and fell into the guards arms. The guard immediately called the police and evacuated the 20 or so students who were in the library. The police came immediately. They located the office where the teaching assistant had barricaded himself and when they broke down the door, he had already killed himself with a gun. So sad, she is only 23 and he was only 27. What a waste.

Anyway, I'm still grateful that it wasn't during the week, when there would have been so many other students, staff and faculty. Obviously, he came into the school with a knife and a gun, so he already had intentions of harming her. Today, we have been dealing with many calls from the press, concerned parents, students and other staff members. I'm just happy to report that the student will live and she graduates this June, so hopefully she will be able to graduate with her class.

Gotta run, talk to you all tomorrow. Thanks for listening and your concern, I appreciate it.

Hugs,
Dianne
Old 04-29-2002, 07:21 PM   #10  

Angry

Dianne, Thank God the student is going to be alright. I was checking Newsday & the news this morning to see if they had anything to say about it. Very sad.

Sandy, Pete is too funny with the shopping. He looks forward to the Sunday paper so he can check out all the circulars!!! David likes shopping too.

Janie, the problem with cablevision hasn't been resolved. I just remembered about "my Jeter's picture" I'll ask him, I promise.

I went out to lunch with a couple of the girls from work to an italian restaurant & I made good choices. One of the girls just joined WW & she had her book out with her slider, it was hysterical. The rest of the group made fun of us the whole time. We didn't care. I had soup & salad with a diet coke & she had the same thing. I was starving by the time I got home. I'm done with all my points for the day!! <sigh> I gotta stay strong. I made sure to exercise for 1 hour so I could have extra points.

Terri, Britanny is growing up right before our eyes! When is her birthday?

Jen, so nice that you & Joe have been together so many years I love redecorating! After you're all done it's going to look soooo nice.

HollyGirl, how are you feeling?

Myra

Well my buddies, till tomorrow.
Hugs,
Es

Last edited by Livinghealthy; 04-29-2002 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:57 PM   #11  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Hello ladies

Ok, I just have to put my "2 cents" in here about the shopping hubbies.....Greg LOVES to shop!! I mean, we can go to the mall and he is looking for all the bargains for me and I mean in CLOTHES! He says that I'm a buyer and he's a shopper. I love it!!!!

Hollygirl ~ Be strong and hang in there. I know it must be awful to be stuck in a situation where you feel helpless but if you just concentrate on getting yourself healthier, I know that you'll feel better about yourself.

Dianne ~ My goodness sweetie, I'm so glad that you weren't around all that......Thank the Lord that she'll be okay and you be careful!!!

Jen ~ Don't you just love redecorating? We are in the process of doing some ourselves.....new carpeting is coming on the 24th of May so I've taken this time to paint the living room and wall paper and border the kitchen. We even replaced the windows in the living room to those great ones that snap open for cleaning!! Yippee!! The carpet is taupe ~ can't wait!! I'll bet yours is looking great!

Hi to everyone else. Gotta run....I don't want to miss the Gilda Radner movie tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:19 PM   #12  

Smile better outlook today

Hi, girls!

Okay, things aren't looking so bleak today, but I am going to officially start tomorrow. I shouldn't have started on the same day as my PMS was at its peak. Needless to say, I didn't care what I ate!

Do you all REALLY think that once I start losing weight I'll feel better about everything? It's one of those vicious circle things to me -- I'll feel better when I lose weight, but since I'm not losing weight right now all I want to do is turn to food for comfort.

The group I work with had a retreat today and one of the women gave a testimony of how she had a very rare form of cancer several years ago. It kind of made me put my perceived problems (weight, home life, etc.) into perspective.

I'm going to try to post daily, or several times a day, so I can get the support I so desperately need -- especially until I start seeing some progress. Weigh-in is on Tuesdays now

For each 5 lbs. I lose, I'm going to treat myself -- mini-goals I guess! I love to shop, so I'll probably treat myself to a new Coldwater Creek outfit or a great accessory or something. When I reach my goal weight (140-143 or so) I'm going to buy a pair of Brighton sunglasses! Wish me luck
Old 04-30-2002, 04:56 AM   #13  

Thumbs down

Just checking in to say hi to all my buddies

HollyGirl, that's the spirit. Take one day at a time.

Ruth, you know what day this is for me

Have a great day & don't forget to drink your water!

Later
Es

Last edited by Livinghealthy; 04-30-2002 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:56 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick check-in. Es, your last line above said "don't forget to drink the water"! Wow, I was just analyzing what I've been doing for the last 2 busy weeks. I realize I've really forgotten to fit the water in to my schedule. While in SC, it was hot and I carried a water bottle everywhere with me. But back in Massachusetts, it's cold, windy and rainy! However, the sun is peeking out today. I drink way more water when it's warm out.

My son has picked the University of SC - so now we can focus on that. I drive to PA to pick up my daughter on Friday, so, I'll be missing the weigh-in again. I'll get there on 5/10. (I'm a lifetime member, so I don't have to get there every week - I just aim for that.)

My walking has slowed down a little bit at home, but we have been gardening! Sounds like everyone is doing home-improvement projects. We moved to a smaller house that's very dated! (It's described as "hideous" by my daughter.) However, my husband and I can see the potential. We've talked to a few architects and will probably choose one in May. We'd like to start renovations in the fall. That's the plan, anyway.

It's nice to scroll thru the messages and catch up with everyone! Welcome Terri! And hello to Sandy (my son sat in the rain in the bleachers at Fenway last nite! Too bad they didn't win.), Holly Girl, Zoe, Dianne, Myra, Janie, Jen and all the other Fab 40s!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:51 AM   #15  

Hi Pogo. It is nice to meet you. How old is your daughter? I'll bet the U. of SC is beautiful. My oldest is going to college in two years and I am already sad. I am pathetic.

Es,
Brittany will be 16 on Sunday. I want her 9 and the boys 4 and 2. I loved it at that time. I am not longing for an empty nest. I think it stems from not having family anywhere around.
Pete sounds like my FIL. My MIL hides the Sunday Paper until she has ahd at least 4 cups of coffee cause he goes on and on. The kids and Bruce and I can't wait for the Sunday Paper to get on that table. He is so funny.
I am so glad you kept going on at that restaurant. I'll bet they had guilt that is why they made fun.

"Weigh" to go HollyGirl. Things will start looking up. the 5 pound goals are an excellent idea! Good luck. I know you can do it!

Dianne,
I am soooooo glad about that poor girl. What a terrible situation.

Zoe,
I taped the Gilda movie and am watching it over the weekend. Was it any good? I watched Behind Enemy Lines last night cause it was due back today. Enjoy those new carpets.

Sandy,
I am so glad to be back. I am so glad about your mom. This is one thing (among Many others) about growing older. The parents' health. I know what you mean about plants. I say "sorry baby, I didn't mean to clip that petal off. Hope it didn't hurt." I have to put mine up high cause my 1 year old pup will eat them.

JanieD.,
I missed you too. I get so much inspiration from you guys too.
How are you doing?

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terri
Closed Thread