Support Groups - Crazy Canadians Cluck Club - Winter

Pages : [1] 2

2b125by46
11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I am from Ontario, Canada and was just wondering if there are any other Canadians here. I am looking for new buddies and thought that there might be a few other Canadians here who might want to be buddies.

My name is LMB and am looking to lose 122 lbs by the time I am 45
(06/09/2010) I have some time but the sooner the better. My ultimate goal is to get into this Blue Jean dress I own.

Drop me a line if you would like to be buddies. Post here and let me know what part of Canada you are from.

LMB

erinmagill
11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi! Im from Edmonton. I just had a baby in July, and Ive so far lost 50lbs and I have another 50 to go until my goal.
I also found a canadian forum on here the other day but its rarely used...so its good that you are trying to find some of us!
Erin-

luvja
11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi! :)
I'm from Hamilton, Ontario. How 'bout you?
Good luck.

bargoo
11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I know that Mudpie and SusanB are both from Canada, check out the Maintainers Forum and the Fearherweights Forum.

Beautiful Ace
11-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I live in ottawa:)

Tomato
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes, ma'am! I am in Kitchener. Welcome to 3FC!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-30-2008, 10:06 PM
:wel3fc: ~ LMB ... There are many Canadian ladies here; and there is a Canadian thread in the SUPPORT GROUPS forum called CANADIAN CANUCKS CLUCK CLUB (or close to it). I pop in there when I'm not too busy on my regular threads. Personally, I am a transplanted Canadian; originally from Southern Ontario (Guelph), and now living in Northern Ontario for many years (just over 30 in total).

Look around, there are many wonderful groups (threads) here; people are very friendly and helpful too. The nice part is that you can have as many buddies as you like ...

:hug:Rosebud :hug:

Ookpik
11-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi, I am from Labrador! :)

valpal23
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
:wave: I live in Northern Manitoba (north of the 55th parallel actually. way up there but not quite arctic)

Shine
11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm from Victoria BC, but living in more northern BC right now. It would be nice to connect with other Canadians!

ladyfyre
11-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I live in Northwestern ontario. I am starting over as I am at a point that I desperately need support and encouragement. I hope to see you here a lot.
Stacie

srmb60
12-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Yup, there's lots of us!

2b125by46
12-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I live closest to London, Ontario so
Luvja we are practically neighbours.

Beautiful Ace, how are you managing in todays snow storm. I saw on the news the snow we were suppose to get you are getting. Stay warm.

Tomato, is that your dog as your avatar? He is cute What kind is he? I have a Great Dane named Shadow and a hound mix named Misty.

Susan B where in SW Ontario are you?

I am so glad to have met you all. I haven't been able to find that Canadian thread yet but it would be nice for all us Canucks to stay in touch.

Have a wonderful day?

srmb60
12-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Seaforth ... does that make sense to anyone but me?

Ruthxxx
12-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi there. I'm trying to find the Canuk thread. We Canadians need to stick together since we have to endure/enjoy REAL WINTER!

srmb60
12-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Got it!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150590

We should start a winter one.

Ruthxxx
12-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey! I will just change this title to "Canadians Chatter" and leave it right here. OK?

Edited to add: I'll change the title to the old one but for Winter.
Here we go!

silverbirch
12-01-2008, 08:03 AM

Gosh, Susan. It's on Google Earth and it's 1 C. And the boundaries are all straight lines! And did I see somewhere called Caesar's Palace?

Ruthxxx
12-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Seaforth makes sense to me but then, I'm a Canadian.

fatmad
12-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Susan B. I know where Seaforth is, although I am not there as much as I used to be, still drive near or thru occasionally.
I am just west of Elmira.
Tomato is also near me.
I didn't know about the Canadian forum.

Ruthxxx
12-01-2008, 08:16 AM
It's not a Forum - just a thread under Weight Loss Support.

meowee
12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow . . . a new location (slightly, we used to be in support Groups), a minor name change (from Crazy Canuks Cluck Club) and hopefully a new lease on life . . . :grouphug:

Nova Scotia checking in, but I'm originally from Toronto and spent a number of years in Kitchener, so I too know Seaforth. :D

Have a great day, gang . . . :carrot:

srmb60
12-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Gosh, Susan. It's on Google Earth and it's 1 C. And the boundaries are all straight lines! And did I see somewhere called Caesar's Palace?

No Caesar's Palace in Seaforth. There's two pizza joints ...

Is it square? I guess so, sorta. We're fond of our "mile 'n' a quarter" country blocks around here.

Tomato
12-01-2008, 08:54 AM
LBM - yeap, that is one of my two greyhounds. Her name is Enta. She is less of a troublemaker than the other one. :smug:

fatmad - west of Elmira - woo hoo! We should meet for coffee one day. If you happen to be going to Waterloo, let me know.:coffee:

Ruthxxx
12-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Meowee is right. This should be in support Groups. I'll move it there with a re-direct. PM me if you can't find it!

2b125by46
12-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I am so glad to have found so many Canadians.

I am not sure where Seaforth is but I have heard of it.

Who all here is getting snow today and how much?

LMB

RealCdn
12-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I am so glad to have met you all. I haven't been able to find that Canadian thread yet but it would be nice for all us Canucks to stay in touch.

I think this is the current Canadian thread. :D

I'm in Burlington, Ontario myself (although going to school in Hamilton).

Yes, but only because you've explained where it was to me in the past. ;)

erinmagill
12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
SHINE--Im also from Victoria!....but currently in Edmonton. My husband is from Northern BC (Kitimat)

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-02-2008, 01:12 AM
:wave: SORRY, for screwing the name up you guys; I was close! :lol: It seems I forgot the 'Crazy' part; I see there are two names: Crazy Canadians Cluck Club and Crazy Canucks Cluck Club. It can be a bit confusing; you know the saying "Confuscious says ... I'm sooooooooo confused!"

Anyways, I'm glad that you all found your way here despite my error; yes, I think it's nice to see just how many Canadians do come here on a regular basis. Thanks to Ruth and SusanB and Meowee for straightening things out for us. :D

We had a snowstorm all day today; and the northeast winds were terrible but we are in the north, so that is to be expected, I guess. You couldn't stay out in the cold too long or your face froze. It says -8C out there, but with the windchill factor, it was probably way lower than that.

Hope all our Canadians have a wonderful week and better weather than us ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2b125by46
12-02-2008, 07:39 AM
I hope you all are staying warm. We got more snow here in SW Ontario but just a dusting with frozen rain underneath. I am down another pound this morning. I even took my Great Dane for a walk last night for about 25 min. It was after dark and was a little dangerous considering if she took off I would have slipped and slided all over the place.

meowee
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
:wave:

Intermittent sun and a high of 13C predicted here for today . . . seems perfectly fitting since I'm finally getting my snow tires put on this afternoon . . . :lol:

Ruthxxx
12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
We were supposed to get a huge storm and there were Warning! notices on the weather websites but not a darn thing happened! Good thing because I'm off to town after I work the Food Bank this morning. "Town" is either Brockville or Smiths Falls, a half hour drive either way. The "city" is Ottawa (90 minutes) or Kingston (55 minutes). The joys of rural living.

I hope everyone makes some progress in some way today - even if it's just getting dressed which I must do RIGHT NOW!

It'd be really helpful if folks would add their village or area to their profile. I see "Ontario" a lot and it's a pretty darn big province. If you don't want to be specific, "near Toronto" or something would help.

srmb60
12-02-2008, 08:40 AM
It was absolutely wicked here when I was driving home last night. I'm not much good at that and I was quaking by the time I got here. 2b125by45 would have gone slippy slidin' ... I did ;)

fatmad
12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
wow, signed in this morning and wow, has this forum exploded with threads!
Now that our American friends have survived Thanksgiving they are really active. I give thanks for them, they add a lot.
Weather here was wicked yesterday, lots of slippy sliding snowy stuff.
am going to put on my cross country skiis today and enjoy my huge property. it is getting to hard to walk thru snow that is 40 cm deep!

Shine
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Erinmagill -
Good to meet someone else from Vic. I miss it so much - the ocean, the islands, and being able to be outside all winter.
But I guess snow can be fun too.
How do you like Edmonton?

2b125by46
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Fatmad, 30 cm of snow I cannot imagine. I have yet to see that in all my winters here in Wardsville. This town use to gets lots of snow being so close to the snowbelt but since I moved here in '91 I haven't seen a really big snowfall yet. Although London has had a few and 2 weeks ago Arkona got it really bad. On TV it was a meter high that's 3 feet in non-metric terms. Although I would love to see that kind of snow once.

I am so glad that 3FC's powers-that-be changed my username. When I orignally joined the board in 2005 I wasn't as determined and hadn't really set a goal. With this user name which I try to use on everything I join that is weight loss related states a specific goal and is a constant reminder for me.

Ruthxxx, For you I change where I am from to my specific town with population so everyone can see I come from a very tiny town. By the way at least 1/4 of that population is in the nursing home across the street from where I live.

LMB

Ookpik
12-02-2008, 09:01 PM
We are having unseasonably warm weather right now. It is 1 degree right now. We have some snow, and this past Thursday it got up to about 13 and it rained...talk about slippery! The town I work in is about 35 km from where I live, and Thursday evening, there were about 50 cars that slid off the road and were abandoned on that 35 km stretch of road. An RCMP officer (they closed the road) said seeing so many abandoned vehicles reminded him of the movie "I am Legend".

2b125by46
12-03-2008, 06:49 AM
My Wednesday starts out very cold. Chill factor has us down to -11 this morning. I am getting an early start today b/c I want to pick up my DH's pay and take it to the bank before I pick up my first student. If I do it this way I don't have to do any back tracking and I can stay in the city.

I have lost 10 pounds so far, 7 this week. Most of it is just water and waste but its a good start. I got 20 min . on the gazelle last night watching NCIS and crocheted 3 more rows on to my scarf I am making.

I find crocheting a very good distraction from snacking after supper. I used crocheting as a distraction after I quit smoking so I thought I would try it again for food. Its working.

They say the sun is suppose to come out here today, I am really hoping so before the next snow storm.

Have an nice day.

LMB

meowee
12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi . . . :wave:

You are sooooo right, LMB, hand-work does help -- I crochet, knit, sew, quilt -- it is hard to eat while your hands are busy crafting.

Nothing too exciting around here -- trying to get the wrapping finished so I can mail parcels to Ontario and Alberta tomorrow. After that is finished up, I can get back to the knitting I've currently got on the go. I'm also getting that almost impossible to ignore urge to go on the annual 'baking binge'. Unfortunately that almost always leads to eating too much of what I bake.

Our weather is still unseasonably mild and although they are calling for sun today, I haven't seen any yet.

Have a great Wednesday . . . :grouphug:

srmb60
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I had a much nicer drive home from work last night. There was some spotty drifting but the road was mostly clear and nothing was falling from the sky.

We're forecast to go to +3 today but it's chilly so far. I threw on a sweater to take the recycling out and was not warm enough!

Has anyone got any really good deals or inspirational ideas for Christmas gifts?

meowee
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I got one of these for myself and liked it so much I went back and got them for a bunch of people . . . not exactly a 'glamour' present . . . but it really, really works . . . http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I1033745/name/knife_package_cutter_safe_cut

srmb60
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Those do look neat! My kitchen scissor disappear all the time!

I got a nice dolly who giggles at Winners for $8. She's very cute and the giggle is infectious.

bopeep
12-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi all - I've been away for awhile. Time really flew by for some reason and I got out of the habit of checking out the forum.

I wasn't such a frequent poster that I'm sure I'll be remembered, so I'll reintroduce myself :dizzy:

I live in Montreal, am originally from Nova Scotia, and I just turned 40 :eek: :faint: I've been working on losing weight for the past year, and spent the summer in a holding pattern, weight wise, but the scales have started to budge again.

I have two special needs cats, a noisy parrot, and one DH. We have an elliptical at home, and I do light weights as well. This fall, I have finally gotten up the guts to do something I have wanted to do for years - I have started belly dancing! :lol: :belly:

BP

meowee
12-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Welcome back BOPEEP . . . :hug:

And a great big GOOD MORNING to everybody else . . . :grouphug:

Northeastern Nova Scotia is sunny and mild today -- high of 8 predicted -- but boy is it ever windy.

greeneggsandtam
12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Good Morning Canucks!
Happy December.
I check in here from time to time as well, but I mostly neglect to say hello...so hello from Saskatchewan.
Weather update.... I've never seen such a lack of snow so late into the year. We haven't had any snow to stay as of yet...And of course having had said that we'll head straightaway into a blizzard by this afternoon. lol

Bopeep! Nice job on the Belly Dancing. I think that'd be awesome!
My husband and I are wanting to start tai chi in February. I'm so excited about doing an activity with him. We haven't ever taken a class together so it should be fun.
anyways...Everyone have a lovely thursday!
Tam

bopeep
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Morning all! It looks like we have a real bag of mixed nasty weather here in Montreal. A high of 5, rain mixed with snow, then plunging below freezing and staying there. Crap. And I have to go out in it. I hate winter. :mad: At least I just got my boots back from the repair place - now they have nice new toasty sheepskin insoles and a zipper that works. :cool:

Meowee - I hope the wind doesn't blow your power down!!!

Greeneggsandham - I am having such a blast with my belly dancing classes! It is really, really, really, hard to move muscles you never knew you had, and my hips have felt like they're about to fall off for months (too bad they haven't really...). But I am having soooooo much fun :D

I tried tai chi, and liked it, but it never really 'clicked' with me. I have trouble with anything too meditative - my mind races and I lose track of what I am supposed to be doing. :o It's great that your DH is going to go with you - I would love to take some sort of class with mine, but he's too shy or embarrased to do anything in front of a group of people. :shrug: Oh well, at least he's still using the elliptical!

There is a Christmas 'do' at the place I take my lessons this Saturday, and my instructor and her troupe perform there, along with some of her intermediate students, and any beginners that are ready. Well, guess who is ready? Memememememe! I am the only beginner that is ready! I am doing one dance and possibly another if I can learn it well enough in two days! :carrot: :belly: :carrot: Can you tell I'm excited? :lol: It's not that I'm great or anything, after all, I have only been doing this for three months, but I am picking this up quickly and am really keen on it.

BP
/off to brave the nasty weather

srmb60
12-06-2008, 08:52 PM
We're under a snowsquall warning again!

2b125by46
12-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I was just watching the weather channel and it seems that Ontario and all provinces east are in for an interesting few days of Snow, Wind and bit of Rain. We go snow here yesterday, but nothing like London. They got 10 inches yesterday and DH is going into work tonight to plow snow. The weather channel said that Monday into Wednesday is going to be all snow. I don't know how much of it we will get here in Wardsville but my concern is London.

I can leave my house and the roads can be dry and the sky blue but I get half way towards the city and that can turn into snowy roads not cleared and very slippery conditions and you wonder why you are out picking up children to take to school that if they were your own you wouldn't take them anywhere.

I fell off the wagon :o for a few days but I don't seem to have gained much weight. Today is Sunday and I have climbed back onto the wagon and I am hanging on for dear life. I don't know why I fell off except I ran out of yarn to stay busy with.

On that subject I picked up my next colour and will be back at my blanket. Did I tell you all that I am crocheting a blanket. Its a 100 stitches wide, 5 colours, single chrochet stitch. My plan is to have it big enough to cover a queen size bed. I don't know any other stitch than the single. My aunt has tried to teach me the double and the triple but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around it. I am also working on an afghan for my son. I have already finished the scarf I was working on for myself.

The sun is shining so bright today. I am working on getting some chores done around the house. Dishes, laundry, bedding and stuff. I will be making several trips up and down the basement stairs. I think I have made 4 trips so far.

Take care of yourselves, Stay safe and warm.

LMB

bopeep
12-07-2008, 12:20 PM
We're just going to get some serious cold - it's supposed to go down to -15 tonight! :eek: I am so not a winter fan! I have asthma that's triggered by cold, so I can't do anything fun outdoors, and my hands and feet turn into blocks of ice so easily it's scary.

I had some serious fun last night at the Christmas show for the rec centre where my belly dance classes are. I did two dances, I didn't screw up, and I looooved it! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot: I can't wait until the classes pick up again next year!

And tomorrow, I get to go vote! Woohoo! NOT!!! :rolleyes: We have a provincial election here in Quebec and I am so not thrilled with the choices. I don't like any of them. We do have a green candidate running in my riding, so maybe that will be my protest vote. I wish they had space to write in your own protest candidate - who would I pick... :?:

BP

2b125by46
12-07-2008, 06:07 PM
and I walked my Dane for 20 min. We have had cold windy but sunny weather all day and I decided to take advantage of the sun and walk.

What have you done for exercise today?

LMB

2b125by46
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
December 7
Meal Plan :flow1:
Exercise :flow1:

srmb60
12-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Very nice ticker 2b!

I can't believe the amount of snow we've gotten the last couple of days! And it was cold yesterday. I hurried to church and back and that's all the outdoors I needed.

cdnwebgurl1
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Greetings All:

Sorry I have not been arond for a few weeks. We lost my Father-in-Law on the 22 of November and life just has not been the same. Exercise, I am sorry to say has suffered and ergo my weight has risen which is not good.
His death was not a complete surprise as he had been sick since last Christmas and in and out of hospital since March and finally a nursing home for the last two weeks we just thought we would have had him for a few more days. He is in a better, pain free place now which is most important.

The anti-depressant medication I am on makes it hard to cry over this but I do have my weepy moments. He was a fabulous human, a tough but fair boss and as a pharmacist influenced many lives along the way serving his community for 30 years and was licensed for 40 years. When he began pharmacy, insulin was $400 for a small vial as it had just begun to be mass produced!

I am having a tough time with everything, we are not doing presents in the family this year as money is tight with me being on disability and my husband and I decided I would not bake this year as we would just eat it which neither of us needs. We will however sing in our choir and see friends and have already been to the neighbourhood Christmas party Saturday night.

Anyway just wanted to stop by and say "HI" again from the Hamilton area and wish everyone a great holiday time. Be careful out there exercising I have broken my leg twice in the last 7 years (2001 & 2007) which walking the dogs on icy surfaces.

Cheers,

cdnwebgurl1 :-)

2b125by46
12-08-2008, 05:26 PM
cdnwebgurl1,

I am so sorry to hear about you FIL. I lost my Uncle a year ago and I understand how hard it can be to loose someone close to you.

You and your family are in my prayers.

LMB

bopeep
12-08-2008, 06:02 PM
cdnwebgurl1 - my sympathies on your loss. You must be wrung out from such a long illness. Death is never easy, and having to face it for such a long time will take a toll on anyone. Get your feet back under you as you can, and as you are ready - there is no set schedule you have to meet!

I was planning on walking to the bank and doing a few errands, but it's too frimping cold outside to do anything! -17C!!!:( I would trade this for snow anyday. Wait a minute... What am I saying - I hate snow too! OK - I would trade this for summer anyday. That's better ;)

I took yesterday off from exercising, since I was still sore from all the last minute practicing I did for the show on Saturday. Today was back to it. I actually found it kind of hard to stop because I was finally warm :lol:

Where's meowee? I read that they got a lot of heavy wet snow in some parts of NS and lots of people are without power! I hope she's staying warm!

BP

2b125by46
12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
My Star Chart

December 8
Meal Plan :flow1:
Exercise :flow1:

LMB

meowee
12-09-2008, 07:58 AM

Just to let you know I'm still around -- my back's gone out again and this is the first time since Friday that I've been able to sit upright long enough to say HI.

cdnwebgurl1
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Dear Friends:

Well, I walked to the bus - 15 minutes - part one yesterday then walked from one bus stop to my destination number one - about 20 minutes then climbed 3 flights of stairs to get to destination one then down three flights of stairs, walked to bus stop number 2, then walked from where bus number 2 stopped to destination number 2 about 15 minutes.

Sadly, in between, I gorged on great food - lovely mini quiches (2), cheese and crackers (4 pieces of cheese with 4 crackers) and 2 mincemeat tarts, homemade peanut butter tarts(4), mini backlava(3),a puff pastry dessert with strawberries (2) and my first piece of light fruit cake for the season - yes I have a sweet tooth - and I should not have indulged and I know that I should not have indulged. It is all good food I eat, just too much. Oh and I drank a small bottle of unsweetened cranberry juice with sparkling water mixed.

Ugh! Why do we do this to ourselves? At least I only have one more of these types of events scheduled for this holiday season and that is on the 27th when we go to a surprise 50th birthday celebration for a colleague of my husband's. I will do better next time.

Take Good Care All,

The weather here is wet, started out snowy and now it is rainy and slushy and gray with a flat light, just dreary and drab. After today, we are one day closer to spring !!

Thanks to all for their supportive notes, I do appreciate them!

Hugs,

Cdnwebgurl1 :-)

2b125by46
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
JILLIAN'S TIP OF THE DAY

Write Yourself a Love Letter

Stop and think about all of your strengths and weaknesses, and then pull out some paper and a pen and write yourself a love letter. Make a list of all the admirable things about yourself, all the things worth loving, everything that makes you special. If you get stuck, imagine that you're your own best friend and think about the kinds of things he or she might say to you about why you're such a wonderful person.

From Jillian Michaels Newsletter

Ruthxxx
12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Cdnwebgurl1 - I certainly feel your pain. This will be my first Christmas without my husband and it feels strange. Luckily I am going out to Nanaimo to visit my DD for the week.

2b125by45, Wardsville sounds about the same size as Delta! Thanks for posting the "write yourself a love letter" suggestion. I need to do that.

Meowee, do NOT shovel with that darn back. Hire a flunky of some sort.

It snowed a lot more last night so I cannot put off shovelling today. I have two dogs with very short legs who are probably going to need potty paths through their yard.

I am not doing too well with Christmas temptations! Tomorrow is a catered dinner for my garden club. I'd post the menu but it would be food porn! There are two lunches this week too but they are in restaurants where I can chose my food carefully...but will I? All bets are off!

:wave: at the rest of the Crazy Canuks Club, Why on earth did our ancestors Choose this place? Now I'll stop weather whining and re-read my signature.

greeneggsandtam
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Ruth!!! Hahaha I love it.
Hire a flunky of some sort.
(My flunky is a step son.)
You're right about the ancestors part--I think mine crossed the Bering Strait 12,000 years ago to get here...I wish sometimes they'd headed to southern Asia or the one of those nice little polynesian islands. I'd be sipping MaiTais right now instead of contemplating my Sorels.

Cdnwebgrl - Nice work on all the walking!!
Bopeep - I love your avatar.
2B - Now I have to go and see what this Jillian Michaels is all about...I thought she was the one from the UK with 'You are what you eat'. Apparently not. lol. I'm so behind the times...
It's freakin freezin here on the prairie. It's all dry skin and toques from here on in. Hahaha. All my Christmas parties are done for the season. Yay!!! Now I just have to stay on track and somewhat active....

bopeep
12-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmmm... sore throat, runny nose, no appetite... Yup - I'm coming down with a cold. Crap! :mad:

meowee - poor you! :hug: I've thrown my back out a few times and it is Not Fun! :( Take care of it and remember that no chore is important enough that you have to do it now - rest up and recover!

cdnwebgurl1 - baby steps! Don't beat yourself up about what you ate! I fell off the wagon plenty of times! If it was as easy as 'just not eating', then none of us would be here ;) This time of year is particularly difficult to diet in, since we're all expected to socialise heavily (and drink and eat), and there are soooo many once a year tasty things to sample... You did get some activity in, and maybe that's what you need to focus on first, maybe the dieting will fall into place once you've started to get more fit. That's how it is for me anyhow :lol:

Today, I'm going to get my fanny to the bank - normally I'd walk the 20 minutes there and back, but it's snowing... I'll have to see how the sidewalks are I guess. I also have a dance class tonight, but I'm coming down with that cold. I think I'll stuff myself full of cold medicines and see if I can do it anyway - I normally don't like to take those cold remedies because they make me feel loopy, but I really like my dance class!

Ruthxxx - I know why our ancestors settled here: shock value and bragging rights! If I had a nickel for everyone I met both online and in real life that has their jaw hit the floor everyt time I tell them how cold it gets, I'd be filthy rich! The usual reaction to me saying it gets down to -25C to -30C is: 'How on earth can you live there'? And then I tell them I don't even live in the coldest part! :lol:

BP

2b125by46
12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
You have slept in and igloo made by white high school students in -50C with the chill factor.

I spent the first week of April in 1982 in a town called Pangurtung, NWT then now called Pangurtung, Nunavut. The only way there was to fly. It was a student exchange trip. Some of my fellow student and teacher decided to build their own igloo and after a dance some of us, me included decided to sleep in it. This igloo that my fellow students madewas so full of holes you could see the stars and feel the wind. The night we decided to do this it was very cold. -50C with the wind chill. we slept in artic sleeping bags borrowed from thw army. You are suppose to sleep in these as close to naked if not naked as possible but b/c we were in 'mixed company' that included the teacher we had to stay more dressed. I was so hot I started to sweat then when I got out I froze while the sweat was evaporating.

It was a fabulous trip and wouldn't change a thing about what I did except I don't ***** about the cold.

LMB

bopeep
12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I got to do my dance class - the worst of my cold held off until after I got home. It was a good class too - I'm glad I went! Only three students were there! A snowstorm had started only an hour before (during peak hour), and nobody was able to get there uness they lived on the metro line or within walking distance.

Today I'm flaking out and napping lots - stupid cold is in full force now. Hack, coff, sneeze... Ugh!:( No exercise for me, and I'm making comfort food for dinner - lamb shoulder stew. Not exactly diet food, but I don't care - I feel crappy!

2b - that's hilarious - sleeping in an igloo for real!!! :lol:

greeneggs - thanks - I thought it was a cute avatar too, so I grabbed it :D. BTW - you can sip mai tais and pretend you're somewhere warm! If I didn't have this blasted cold I'd get DH to make me one right now. Hmmm... wait a minute, maybe it would help... :dizzy: :D

BP

2b125by46
12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Is the Cold FX, Vitamin C and Green tea. Drink lots. and Lots of sleeping. Let DH manage the house for a few days.

Ruthxxx
12-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Oy! My plough guy informed me yesterday that he "ain't doin' no residuals this year" so I need to round up somebody else who is doing "residuals". For a few minutes there I thought he was talking finance. :lol: The lads down at the diner may be able to help me out with names.

In the meantime, I need to bundle up and haul the trash to the road for pick-up. Back later if I survive.

2b125by46
12-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Ruth, I take it you need big snow removal or could a couple of teenagers who are always looking for money help you.

meowee
12-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Seems we are in the same boat -- two snows now and nobody has been by to plow. Of course, both have melted anyway but I'm sure that will change.

Today, nothing is moving very far or very fast. The world is a sea of ice, but it's definitely not on top of any snow. Yep . . . I'd rather have snow.

JackieRn
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone, nice to see a few people from Canada. I live in SE ontario.

2b125by46
12-12-2008, 11:49 AM
in Ontario. Suppose to get in the London area up to 15 cm of snow It started at 8 am and will snow for the next 12 hours. I have taken my students to school easily enough but the ride home this afternoon will be scary and slippery. Hopefully they will have it all cleaned up come morning b/c DH and I leave at 5 am to go shopping for xmas tomorrow. We like to get it all done and home before noon.

LMB

meowee
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Our roller coaster of weather continues . . . ice is gone; temperature is over 15C but it is very, very windy . . . wonder what tomorrow will bring?

2b125by46
12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
The snow has stopped here but man it got cold fast. It always suprises me how fast the temp can drop with the changing of the wind.

LMB

meowee
12-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Morning . . . :grouphug:

It seems we Canadians are famous (or maybe that's infamous) for talking about our weather; probably because we get so much of it.

AtlantiCa is on the same roller-coaster. Yesterday we broke fifty-year-old records by hitting +20 C (68F). Today -- our high is going to be -2C (+28F) with a little snow before we also head back to about +10/11 C (+37F) for tomorrow. Out in Cold Lake, Alberta (where my oldest son is) today's high is going to be -25C (-13F); so guess I should be thankful for small mercies. :lol:

Well, I really have to go out and brave the cold and the crowds for a bit today since the larder is looking a little bare and I do have one more gift to get. So I'd best get moving in the hopes of beating the snow.

Hope you all have a great day. :yes:

bopeep
12-13-2008, 04:40 PM
You know, I think one of the most irritating things about the weather in the winter, is that it is so all over the place. You never have time to get used to any particular thing! Today, it's a high of -14C, and by monday, it'll be +8C (supposedly).

Oh well. What can you do? :shrug:

At least my cold is pretty well gone. And my weight is still going down, even though I didn't exercise since Tuesday (felt too crappy). :carrot: I'm so glad to have finally fallen off that blasted plateau!! I know they happen, but it's sooo frustrating to see the scale stuck at the same number for months! I know me, and if I do something to start losing again before by body is ready, it'll backfire on me. I have to wait and keep at the same level of activity and calories until my body has adjusted. Patience!

As Ed Gruberman from the Frantics said: "Yeah yeah yeah, patience. How long will that take?"

:lol:

BP

2b125by46
12-13-2008, 04:56 PM
We were at the Walmart by 615. We walked slowly through the store. Dh found pies and peameal bacon. No presents. We then went for breakfast b/c the other stores we want to check out didn't open until 9. To kill time we browsed a car lot where I lease from and found a new van that I am going to hopefully make arrangements for on Monday. When we finally found what DH was looking for to buy our son we headed home. We are at the local gas station and my son gets hit in the back right corner panel :( by a big black dodge ram truck. We have a ford focus the truck couldn't see my DH. Wo we ended our day of shopping with an accident. I told my DH his Karma is way off.

LMB

2b125by46
12-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I have seen some crazy weather in my day but the weather since Oct has been the craziest. Its raining today. Last night the snow was blowing sidways and today its warm enough to rain.

Its days like today I think I have lots of time until xmas but in reality there is only 11 days and they will go by so fast you will wonder what happened to them.

I don't know about anyone else but I find the year seems to finish fast then it starts. I find things go nice and easy from Jan to Aug. But once Sept. come the days go by much fast and your left wondering where the time went. I am sitting here wondering what happened to Nov. and if I slept through it its gone by so fast.

:?:Does anyone else feel this way?

This is also when I start to wonder how I wasted so much time when I could have been losing weight. I guess I am feeling remorseful. I have wasted a lot of time this year and if I truly want to be 125 by 45 I better get my butt in gear and stop wasting time.

:?:Is there anyone else here who has decided its time to stop wasting time and get working hard to achieve their goals before time runs out?

meowee
12-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Year after year it seems that time moves faster and faster. I think it's a normal part of the aging process. When I was a kid it seemes so long between Christmas and my birthday (Feb. 25), now they barely seem a month apart. :dunno:

Today we had a seasonally cold one (high of -2) but it was mostly sunny with a few tiny little flurries. Wonder what will happen tomorrow??????

Ruthxxx
12-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey! Wait until you get to my age! Time just whizzes by.

Just back from a rather cruddy lunch in Brockville with some of the TheraPaws folks. I'm sure glad I didn't pick the restaurant! I got stuck sitting across from a very boring man who went on and on about what a good cook he was. I'm not sure if that was a come-on or not. I did notice in town that gas was 63.2. something I thought I'd never see again!

It's getting dark, the car is in the barn in case the temp change brings us freezing rain. I am going to wrap the last two presents and get some hand sewing ready to do when I watch Anne this evening. I wallow in Christmas hsows as much as I can - it's The Grinch tomorrow night.

hiimnatalie
12-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Last night it snowed here in Vancouver. I'm orginally from a small town in the interior of BC so I'm used to -20 or worse winters and heaps of snow. But I LOVE snow here in vancouver, mainly because no one is ever prepared, and it seems to shut the city down. It was so quiet outside, I was on a date , when it started to snow, so we got hotchocolate ( mine made with skim milk and no whip) and we walked around enjoying the beauty of it all. I love first snows of the year. I'm sure i'll be singing another tune in feb, when I'll be whining about spring, but for now....

2b125by46
12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
...and again I am saying that I am starting over.

So far I stayed on plan yesterday and exercise was daily chores. Dishes and stuff.

Today I have already done 30 min. on sister's treadmill, she needed me to watch one baby while taking a newborn to a mommy and me to weigh him in. He gain 7 oz in 6 days. My sister and her husband foster children mostly siblings and babies. She now has 9 children in her home. 5 of them are hers 4 are foster. The 4, are 3 and under.

Anyway, food wise I am on plan. I am not sure what supper will be for me but I am sure it will involve chicken and yellow beans.

Ruthxxx
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
2B, I'm not starting over - just stalled! Too much socializing is happening and it's accompanied by wine drinking. I had hoped to be OP yesterday but Anne made me open a bottle of wine - little brat!

We are practically steamy here today with a temp of 10C. I think the ice will disappear off the decks without my help which is great since they were pretty treacherous yesterday morning. We will be back to "normal" December weather tomorrow with snow predicted.

Hey, Natalie, what's with the snow in Vancouver! I'll be out there next week and sure don't want to have to wear boots. I've also got a car rented and sure don't want to be out there on the roads with West Coasters and their winter driving skills. Wanna pick me up?

Gotta get the garlands and lights out of the barn and get them up today. I want the house to look lived in when I'm away and today looks like the day to do it. I may call my tall friend Rob to help. Drat! Just did and he's not in so it'll be me and my trusty stool. It's just under the eaves on the porch and the hooks are already there so....... Fa-la-la-la etc.

bopeep
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I hate mondays :( Today especially! It's about +5C and raining. So now all than snow we got has turned to ice.

I had to skip brekfast because I had to fast for some routine blood tests. I walked to the hospital, because it's close by - normally, it's a 15 minute walk. Today, it took me a half an hour because the sidewalks were slippery as all get out. I would have mede better time if I wore ice skates! So, I got the blood tests done and headed home with more slip sliding fun. Fortunately, I didn't fall!

When I got home, I discovered that the roof has a leak. Great. And there's probably nothing that can be done until the spring - too much ice up there to repair it right now.

Grumble, gripe, groan... :mad:

I'm going to go back out to put a xmas parcel in the mail, then I'm heading back to bed for a nap.

I did get one smile so far today. I ordered a gift for a friend - a 'petri dish' of the common cold virus (Giant Microbes! (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/ca/)), and it showed up today! :)

BP

2b125by46
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
We started the day with rain and +8C and now its Cloudy, -4.3C, Wind: W 26 gust 37 km/h, so it feels like -11 with the Wind Chill.

Bopeep, I am all for naps. I love it when I get a chance to have a nap. I hope you had a wonderful nap. By the way you should be able to find someone who can put hot tar over the area that leaks if the temp gets above freezing. My Dh says that should hold it until spring and a proper fix.

LMB

bopeep
12-15-2008, 09:10 PM
2b - I feel muuuuch better now that I've had that nap :D.

And it looks like it wasn't the roof leaking after all! Good for me, but bad for my upstairs neighbours - it is their hot water heater that's leaking. :(. When they got home I got them to check to see if they had any water anywhere, and the floor under their hot water tank is soaked. It's the same age ours was and ours was replaced last year due to it leaking, so it fits. Plus when the guy had a shower and emptied and filled the tank, the leak got really bad for a few minutes... Poor them though - they have to move a TON of stuff so the tank can be replaced.

I thought it was the roof because water was coming through in the same spot it was when the roof sprung a leak from the big ice storm several years ago. It was the same weather conditions too (snow, ice and rain...), so it seemed a reasonable thing to worry about. If it was the roof, it would have been really complicated to fix - in downtown Montreal, where I am, most roofs are flat with tarpaper and gravel. If the leaky spot is covered in a foot of ice, you are out of luck at repairing that until spring, unles you want to throw $$$$ of money at it. We don't own the building (we rent), so we have the benefit of not having to worry about finding tens of thousands for major repairs when they're needed all of a sudden, but we don't want the landlord to have to find the cash either - major repairs like that usually mean a substantial rent hike!

I'll still have a lot of work to do in the bathroom (where the leak was). Water has been dripping down from a half a dozen places and bubbled the paint all over. I'll have to strip it all off and plaster and paint once it's fixed. :( Oh well, I'll just think about all the calories I'll burn with the work! :lol:

BP

hiimnatalie
12-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Ruth, Don't worry, snow here looks good for a day, then melts as fast as it came in, I wore cute ballet flats today, and my toes are nice and dry- cold but dry, so no need for big boots.

Ruthxxx
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Whew! I was actually planning to just bring a fall weight coat and a couple of sweaters. Namaimo is usually warmer than Van anyhow. Right? Please say yes.

Bopeep, we're back to cold weather too. Luckily I got all the slush and crud shovelled off decks and steps yesterday and the wind dried it up before it froze. I have snow in the yard and behind the barn but the higher up fielkds are clear of snow. It looks like April but sure doesn't feel it.

2B125, I actually managed to stick to my food plan yesterday. How's it going for you?

Today I made a big pot of veggie and meatball soup for a farmers' lunch at the Church tomorrow. We give them home made soup, sandwiches and homemade pie. I pitched a bunch of stuff into my pot - V8, beef stock, carrots, cabbage, kidney beans, etc. - and then spotted another packet of tomatoes in the freezer. I thawed it and pitched it in without looking - it was artichoke and black olive spaghetti sauce. The soup tastes surprisingly good. I'm going to throw in some meatballs and broken pasta and pretend it's an old family recipe from my Italian grandmother! Maybe I'll serve it with Parmesan to complete the lie!

Have a good evening, Canadian pals.

2b125by46
12-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Ruth I have been on plan and exercised yesterday. Today so far so goo but I still need to get in some exercise.

On a weather note, the WC is calling for snow tonight. 5 cm before midnight and 5 cm over night. So I figure if it falls fast DH will get called into work to push it off the school parking lots. I'm not sure what it will do for us school bus drivers though. We may or may not get canceled which will screw up my day tomorrow or we could get a 2 hr delay. All I know is I am taking some Meletonin to help me sleep b/c winter weather and thinking about what it will do for the drive into school tomorrow will make me nuts.

LMB

bopeep
12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Brrr.... It was cold and quite humid today, so it felt pretty chilly out there!!

My bathroom has finally stopped dripping - the hot water tank upstairs has been replaced and now everything has to dry out so I can see what needs to be repaired. Ugh! :headache:

Otherwise, I had my last dance class tonight - my oficial last class was a couple of weeks ago, but my instructor invited me (for free!!) to another class she teaches so I got a bit of an extra fix! :D Anyways, it was loads o' fun. I can't wait until they start up again in January!!:carrot:

ruthxxx - that sounds like an awfully tasty soup! Funny how some of our mistakes can turn out better than our well thought out plans :lol:

2b - I hope you get your sleep! It's hard to stay on plan when you're tired and cranky!

BP

meowee
12-17-2008, 01:13 PM
It's snowing here.

Ruthxxx
12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Just back from serving the farmers lunch where my screwed-up soup was a hit! I may have discovered a new recipe, not that I use recipes for soup. :lol: I think the black olives got mistaken for kidney beans.

Lots of snow and more to come for the next six days! I am soooo glad I have snow tires as I still have nobody lined up to plough my lane. I did some shovelling this morning and it's nice and light - so far. At least we are pretty sure of a white Christmas and the snow-mobilers will be delighted.

meowee
12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
. . . and then, you'll ship the snow down to me, no doubt. As the saying goes -- "with friends like these . . . " :lol:

I don't have a new plow-guy yet either and looks like we've got snow in the forecast every day for the next week.

kiki100
12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi! New Canadian here...good to "meet"cha!!

I'm from Brantford Ontario and we got dumped on last night...I love it!! It was so mild on Monday with lots of rain that washed all the snow away...I was afraid we were going to have a green Christmas but now everything is pretty again!! But I would like to see it all disappear after New Years.

Just when I am going nuts with the snow and cold and wondering if spring will ever hit we'll be taking off to Florida for a little sun and Mickey Mouse!

2b125by46
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
The temperature's falling, Its not surprising, We're having a snow storm, a wonderful snow storm.:snow4::brr::snowglo:

I hope everyone is safe, warm and dry and out of the cold. This snow storm gives us all the perfect excuse to spend a little time exercising. If not by shovelling the snow than just b/c we can't go anywhere.

I finally got the chance to watch the Biggest Loser Finally this morning. I taped it Tuesday. That Michelle did a fine job. The next Biggest Loser starts on Jan. 6. And Jillian has a Wii workout game coming out. This gives me the best excuse to buy a Wii and platform and her workout. I just love the idea. I have wanted to get a Wii but didn't see where I would use it too. Now I will and I can compete with everyone in the house too. Although my DH and son were born with super metabolisms. They are both bone-racks.

With all the snow headed to Canada I think just about all of us will be having a white Christmas no matter where in Canada you live. The weather channel says that hasn't happened in more than 30 yrs.

meowee
12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes, we are having a dilly of a storm too . . . the wind is wild and even though the stuff has stopped falling right now, you'd really never know it by looking outside.

bopeep
12-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Ugh - winter!!!:tantrum::censored::headache:

I had to go out and pick up a couple of gifts and some groceries for weekend dinners (diet? what diet?). It was -17C with a wind chill of -29. Fortunately for me, I am not one of those people that feel the need to be overly fashionable when it's minus frickin freezing lots. I wore boxer briefs, long undies, wool pants, an undershirt, a longsleeved wool shirt, and a heavy wool sweater, all under a long alpaca wool (light and warm) coat. With sheepskin mittens and hat and a HUGE scarf, I was toasty warm. And I can do all this, because I have tons of clothes that are too big for me! :woohoo: I am swimming in my coat! :D :carrot:

The big storm that hit the northern US and Toronto passed south of Montreal, so we were spared the snow, but got the c-c-c-cold and wind! And blast it all, I forgot to get leeks for my soup tomorrow, so I have to go back out! :mad:

I am planning to make and eat some not-exactly-diet food this weekend - spanokopita, osso bucco, rissoto, squash soup, fruitcake... But I will keep my portion sizes small or reasonable. That is how I have decided to handle the food this year. Last year, I threw all caution to the wind (it's only a few meals right? :nono: ...), and it took me a month to get back to reasonable eating habits. This year, I'm used to eating less anyway, so it ought to be much easier to get the full/enough message to my brain.

I didn't do any exercising yesterday or today, because I was rushing all over heck and creation to get things done, so I figured I burned my requisite number of calories. It's not cardio, but I can live without that for a few days.

DH managed to catch my cold and is now *dying*. :rolleyes: Before I go to bed I will threaten him with the dreaded 'we'll go to the doctor if you're not feeling better tomorrow'. What do you want to bet that he will be cured in the morning? ;) Man, if he ever takes a psychology 101 course, I'm doomed! :lol:

BP

bopeep
12-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Oh, almost forgot - Hi kiki100!:wave:

BP

Ruthxxx
12-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi Kiki100 and the rest of us snow bunnies. We got a big dump yesterday afternoon and evening. It's about 8" but was blowing. I had an 18" drift blocking the deck door this morning and had to shovel to let the dogs out. Shall I put up a snow fence on the deck?

Up until yesterday I had nobody to plough out my lane and was not a happy camper. Last year's guy informed me he was not "doing residuals" :rofl: this year. Anyhow, I now have a great guy who is going to do it for the winter. He's a contractor who does the Fair Office and I'd forgotten about him.

Until my lane is cleared, I'm housebound which may be a good thing. I have lots to do but first will soak in the tub with another coffee and make a list.

Happy Snowy Saturday. :snow4: Looks like the dogs have planned to sleep on the couch until spring!

2b125by46
12-20-2008, 08:06 AM
My DH can be the inconsiderate s.o.b. :mad::stress::tantrum:I have ever met sometimes. Yesterday in the snow storm he decided to come home "3sheets to the wind" I tried to talk to him about needing the car today to go do some shopping b/c we only have one vehicle that works. The truck has a battery that won't start and a tire that leaks like a sive. The vehicle I use for driving the kids to school is a company van and even though my direct boss is my B-I-L he has bosses. I can't use the van now that everything is shut down. At 730 am today I could here my DH ask my son if he want to go to his Uncle Jasons. I said to him " don't you remember I need the car today to go shopping?" He says drive us over. Well that is just a waste of gas. Then he said "did you get air in the truck tire". I said "how could I do that when no one was around with air". So now I have to call my sister in the next town and ask to use her van but I will have to drive over using the company van.

My DH can be an absolute :turkey: sometimes. I would like to do this to him sometimes:rollpin::frypan:. I wish we has taxi serves here.

LMB

2b125by46
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I think we as Canadians may be sound like stuck records. Every other day its snowing and blowing. I went out in it today to get my son some cold medicine, he is sick and dog food. My son didn't tell me when he filled the dogs' food bowls that we were out. My DH's car handled pretty good in all the snow but I didn't go very far and there weren't many on the roads just yet.

I am feeling a little out of sorts today. I feel that if I am going to lose this weight I am going to have to start living my life instead of everyone elses. I am going to have to put myself first everytime not just sometimes.

I am also a little stressed over money. Usually my DH gets a bonus from his boss that helps pay some of the bills up before the holiday gets here and presents can be bought. Right now the bills have to come first so other than my son no presents have been bought. I don't even have all the baking stuff I need to make my famous short bread cookies b/c bills have to come first.

I feel lost and lonely.

LMB

2b125by46
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I have done my exercise for the day. 30 min. on the gazelle.

What have done today.

LMB

2b125by46
12-22-2008, 11:44 AM
I have done 30 min on gazelle.

What have you done?

The sun is shining and it looks so nice now if it just wasn't so darn cold and windy it would be a perfect day.

meowee
12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Just to let you know -- Nova Scotia is closed -- no kidding, you cannot get here by land, sea, or air. Worst thing about this storm is the hurricane force (seriously) winds. :yikes:

2b125by46
12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Meowee, I saw that big storm headed your way on the weather channel last night but forgot you lived there. I hope you are safe and warm until the storm passes with as little damage as possible.

bopeep
12-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I think I did my exercise just sitting here shiverring!! -20C outside now! But because went out to a Thai place for dinner, I did some 'proper' exercise on my elliptical as well.

Not so strangely, I am not having a hard time with motivation right now - when I exercise seems to be the only time I get warm lately! :D

Our winds aren't so bad today, but the wind chill is still -30. Some days I really hate living in the city, but on days like this, when I only have to shovel two steps and I can go two blocks and get underground/inside for all my shopping, the trade off is worth it!

I'm off to have a HOT bath with a good book!

BP

fatmad
12-23-2008, 05:57 AM
I am tired of the storms. I am having my parents come for Christmas,
and have to go and pick them up a day early, to get them here between storms.
This is our second "real" winter in a row, after years of warmth in the winter.
I LOVE winter in general. Minimal allergies, fun in the snow, love to cross-country ski (actually the only exercise I can just enjoy)
But these storms are exhausting me, as is the rest of life right now.
sure leaves me grumpified.

And its not any better anywhere in the country right now!
BRRRRR

srmb60
12-23-2008, 06:08 AM
They're talking about a white Christmas from coast to coast.

The folks in Vancouver are in shock, I think!

The year DD was born 1983, I delivered gifts to neighbours in my shirt-sleeves. No this year!

meowee
12-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Happy to report that Nova Scotia is operational again -- as a matter of fact, the sun is shining and the winds are fairly calm.

Both AirCanada and WestJet have added lots of additional flights today to try to get people out of Halifax before the next storm hits tomorrow afternoon. Sure hope santa has good tires and chains on the reindeer this year. :lol:

Actually, our local forecast is calling for rain on Christmas Day. I hate rain for Christmas but it will be difficult to melt this much snow in one day anyway.

Ruthxxx
12-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Finally able to check in from very, very snowy Nanaimo, BC. 30 cm predicted! I was enroute from 4 AM yesterday morning until 7 PM last night - that's 10 PM body time. Then I went for dinner at my DD's!

I sure am lucky to get here. Lots of folks are still in the Vancouver airport after so many flights cancelled. Right now, nothing is moving at all in or out today so there will be some very sad folks for Christmas.

I plan to stay here at my daughter's house overnight and enjoy Christmas Dinner and Santa in the morning. We are goiing to have brunch "en famille" tomorrow so it will be just lovely! I am so glad to be here.

Wishing you and your families and friends a loving Christmas!

RealCdn
12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Although we've had a fair amount of snow, it's currently raining. Yuck!

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and say Merry Christmas (or Seasons Greetings, or Happy Hanukkah, depending on what/if you celebrate).

:hohoho:

meowee
12-25-2008, 06:41 AM
:gift2: Hope your day is filled with much joy . . . :grouphug:

2b125by46
12-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Hope Santa brought you what you wanted. Have a wonderful day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-26-2008, 12:25 AM
:tree: HOPE YOU ALL HAD A MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!:tree:

We had lovely sunshine all day; a wonderful time with friends, and a delightful dinner. Hope all our fellow CANADIANS are blessed with good health, and peace, and safety this week and for the coming new year!!!

:hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

cdnwebgurl1
12-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Dear Crazy Canucks...

I am feeling sorry for myself today and I need to share...:cry:

I am trying to be thankful for my health which at being over 150 pounds over weight (295 vs 145), it is a miracle I have not developed any of the "diseases of obesity" but I can not see past the fact my pants (size 26) are too tight.

I am trying to be thankful for the warm and loving home myself and my husband, our dog, my brother in law and our neice to live in as opposed to being alone or on the street like thousands of Canadians are today but I can not see past the fact there were no Christmas presents for me this year.

I am trying to be thankful for my stable income albeit disability and the support of people who are caring for me as I recover from my depression and anxiety attacks caused by an abusive workplace situation 3 years ago. I can not see past the fact that I have an interview on Monday afternoon with a volunteer organization to arrange my ramp up back to work.

I am so filled with anxiety over it and trying not to be because it may just be a great work place to start back at with a few hours per week increasing the number of hours and days as calendar moves towards April when I am to ramp up with a real paying job with a return to work firm.

I am trying to be thankful today for the wonderful time we had with friends yesterday but all I can see is the reflection of myself that I caught in the window during dinner and I could not believe it was me.

We celebrate with friends because my family has written me off 13 years ago as a failure. My husband's family (his youngest brother and his wife who always host because they have the two kids, are the richest and have the biggest house) will not have anything to do with us because of a long standing hatred of me by my sister-in-law "who threatened to get me" after someone called Children's Aid on her in August 2003. We are likely healthier and better off without them in our lives as we seek to have as much positivity around us as possible but a teeny tiny piece of my soul dies each Christmas even though I pray that it won't hurt so much year after year.

Thank you all for reading this and sharing your support over the past year. It has meant so much to me to hear of your own struggles and trials as we strive to regain health and vitality.

I wish everyone a :newyear:with lots of :dust: and :grouphug: ; energy to make it through each day:hyper: ; an unending chorus of cheers for every success and attempt at trying something new:woohoo::cheer: ;even when it is all we can do to sit back and admire the beauty of the snow that surrounds us on this day from coast to coast to coast:snowglo:;)

From near Hamilton, cdnwebgurl1.

fatmad
12-27-2008, 10:06 AM
This chinook will make me crazy. It is too warm too fast.
Its 12 degrees here now, and everything is icy and melting.
argh
I got Wii fit for Christmas and will hook it up this afternoon and give reports the next few days.
Also lost a bit of weight in spite of a little chocolate binge and some exhaustion, which usually affects my eating for the worse.
Ok, time to get back on track

fatmad
12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Dear Crazy Canucks...

I am feeling sorry for myself today and I need to share...:cry:

always host because they have the two kids, are the richest and have the Thank you all for reading this and sharing your support over the past year. It has meant so much to me to hear of your own struggles and trials as we strive to regain health and vitality.

I wish everyone a :newyear:with lots of :dust: and :grouphug: ; energy to make it through each day:hyper: ; an unending chorus of cheers for every success and attempt at trying something new:woohoo::cheer: ;even when it is all we can do to sit back and admire the beauty of the snow that surrounds us on this day from coast to coast to coast:snowglo:;)

From near Hamilton, cdnwebgurl1.
webgirl, you are doing what you need to do to get back to health and happiness. It really is too bad that we can only pick friends and not family, but sometimes you just have to let them go.
I've had a very up and down relationship with my sister over the years, (its on an up right now, she really came thru for my parents recently, so I wasn't alone in caring for them) and there are times I have barely spoken to her for a year. I keep in touch more for my nephews sake than anything during those times.
But I have not had the lack of family support you describe. BUT, it sounds like you have learned to build support systems around them, and thats great, because we all need support, however we get it.
Best wishes to you in the new year, and yes, you can do it.

2b125by46
12-28-2008, 07:04 AM
I haven't had a Capon since my late Grandmother cooked one years ago. I got the recipe for Grandma's stuffing and hopefully everything will go well today. The In-laws are coming for this meal. We will be eating it for lunch.

I haven't had much sleep so after they leave I may have a nap.

No for the weather, Its extremely windy here. The rain seems to have stopped for the most part but the wind is really rattling the house. Its getting colder too.

I just want to you all to know that I am leaving tomorrow for Windsor to spend a few days with my Aunt. She does not have a computer and our lap top is not working, so if the library is open I will check in from there but if not I will post when I return. Weather wise that iwill be on the first.

LMB

2b125by46
12-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Well the in-laws called they are not coming. My son isn't home either so its just DH and I to eat a 17 lb stuffed capon, and my DH doesn't like chicken so I will be eating this bird for a long time. Its a good thing that its on my meal plan. I think I will be taking some with me on my trip to Windsor.

srmb60
12-28-2008, 08:11 AM
It's really windy here too. In fact the electricity flickering is what woke me this morning.

Our last Christmas get-together is today in London. Does anyone remember what it was like last Sunday? We didn't go anywhere! So we're trying again today.

Then two more sleeps and we're going south for a week. I'm a little nervous. I don't need to add vacation weight to my holiday weight.

fatmad
12-28-2008, 10:56 AM
oohh to bad about the in-laws not coming. All that prep work for just a regular meal! Most of our snow is gone, the sump pumps are churning away a couple of times every hour. It is supposed to freeze up later today!
The wind is quite wicked. I was out with the dog, it just went through me.
back to work tomorrow. I start 5 days off on Wednesday tho. ahhh

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
CDNWEBGURL1 ~ I'm sorry for all the troubles you are having right now; but you are NOT ALONE in them, trust me. Only a few in my family socialize or keep in contact as they should and could in our family. On top of that, we live very far apart, and that doesn't help matters any. I sent out cards to them all and some friends as well; I do my part to keep in touch, but it isn't always returned, so we have developed our own family of friends network instead.

I am so grateful for the few that I am close to, esp the friends that I feel comfortable around: we had them here for dinner at Christmas and had a nice, simple dinner. This year, I downsized and bought only a few small, quality gifts; I think the company was worth far more than any gifts for us ...

We sent a small grab bag home with our guests, which they loved: with just things that cost $1 or $2 each at the local bargain, department store. I picked up a lovely gift basket for only $5.00 (spa gifts and all new) at a local Christmas sale and the recipient loved it! It was full of lavender bath stuff in a lovely new basket with fancy clear wrap and all. There are bargains to be had out there; we picked up many sale items and saved big; and these small things were just as appreciated as any others.

I know what you mean about the scary return to work; my sister was very ill and went through that same situation. They started her at 2 hours a day, and she has worked her way back up to four x 10 hour days and is doing very well now, although I'm sure it wasn't always easy for her either. I have been there in the past too, as in the eighties and nineties, there were lots of layoffs.

I found myself a couple of nice outfits and started with that. Go through your closet and make up the best two or three outfits you can and rotate them each day. My mother always taught me to pick pieces that would mix and match in the same color scheme to make more outfits ie colorful tops, long vests and skirts, matching slacks, and so forth.

You know there are lots of people here that have been through what you are going through, but now are doing better. We have all been through lean years, and illness, and working and not working and working again. There are ways to be thriftier, until things return to normal again.

If you want to PM me, I would be glad to share some ideas with you that have gotten us thru some tough times in the past. I'd be more than glad to share; and actually did in another thread over the holidays with a lady whose hours were cut back at work recently. EZMONEY even suggested that I write a book about it ... heck, maybe I should. :lol:

Anyways, you can do this; I know you can ... one step-at-a-time; one day-at-a-time!!! :hug:

We woke up to a wild blizzard this morning and it has just started to slow down in the last hour. Snow with howling north-easterly winds and that will create a lot of jobs over the next day or so. Hope you all have better weather than us; take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

fatmad
12-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Lost power in Milverton last night, but it was back on today. apparently much of Ontario was not so lucky. Sorry east coasters, our windy storms are on the way to you!
I am loving having my daughter home from school for a bit. We are having fun with out wii, and cooking together and stuff.
Question for the gang:
anyone using blue menu president"s choice foods for weight watching?
what products do you prefer? what other prepared foods are you using and enjoying?
Our Canadian grocery stores have different products so I want our angles.
thanks

2b125by46
12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I use the boneless skinless chicken breasts. I cook them with some Mrs. Dash seasoning and olive oil in the frying pan. I cook the whole box and then freeze each breast individually so when I need something quick I just unthaw and serve.

I am in Windsor for a few days when I can get to the library for internet I will check in

Cie
12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I am from Vancouver. I have been enjoying reading the thread.

I had an excellent Christmas. Spent time with good friends on Christmas day and had turkey dinner. No damage done. I am a brand new maintainer. Also had a wonderful time with buddies celebrating my birthday on December22. Went the to Chilli Thai Bistro on Beach Ave. facing the water. We saw the yachts decorated with lights parading to Granville Island. The food was fantastic. Enoki mushroom with cream sauce was memorable.

Apparently Caps are going to have an excellent period of 15 years coming up. Still need to work hard for it to happen.

I hope everyone reaches and even surpasses all your goals in 2009. Go Vancouver Canucks!
:newyear:

cdnwebgurl1
12-30-2008, 06:47 PM
I see from your goal tracker that you have lost an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G amount of weight. Any secrets? How long did it take you? Just curious to know.

Thanks,

Cdnwebgurl1:)

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I agree Cdnwebgurl, CIE looks great; you can see in her pics that she is very proud of her accomplishment and well, she should be. I love that VICTORY CHEER stance! :D

:congrat: CIE ~ I see that it took a while; starting in 2003, by the time you came here in January 2008, you had lost 52 lbs. And this year, you lost another 58 lbs. Thanks for the encouraging words, becuz I sure need them. 2008 was a tuff year for me, but I learned a lot. Now, on to new hopes and new goals and new victories in 2009 ...

Cie
12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
I see from your goal tracker that you have lost an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G amount of weight. Any secrets? How long did it take you? Just curious to know.

Thanks,

Cdnwebgurl1:)

No secrets. Just blood sweat and tears! I started in 2003 after a health scare and lost 85 pounds on South Beach. After a friend made an unfortunate remark that she didn't like my looks I began a roller coaster ride of binging and being on plan to the point of regaining 33 lb. of my loss. This January first my resolution was to solve it once and for all. I struggled after an initial loss of 10 lb. I had a seven month stall and finally tweaked my WOE (Atkins'72) to success starting in July.http://forum.lowcarber.org/myplan.php?mid=111037
Note: If the link is not allowed please message me.
Portion control, higher fat % to stop cravings and daily 10k walk were keys. :cool:

I agree Cdnwebgurl, CIE looks great; you can see in her pics that she is very proud of her accomplishment and well, she should be. I love that VICTORY CHEER stance! :D

:congrat: CIE ~ I see that it took a while; starting in 2003, by the time you came here in January 2008, you had lost 52 lbs. And this year, you lost another 58 lbs. Thanks for the encouraging words, becuz I sure need them. 2008 was a tuff year for me, but I learned a lot. Now, on to new hopes and new goals and new victories in 2009 ...
:hug:

You will get there. I learned from my hard times. Nothing is ever wasted. Oh, I added meditation to help in my journey and that daily practice and great teacher has helped me re frame my life catastrophes. :dancer:

bopeep
01-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Happy New Year everyone! :newyear:

I hope we're all able to keep on track and get some progress towards achieving our goals in the coming year! Weather it's a new job or kitchen reno, a new baby or getting married, finally achieving your goal weight or just cleaning out those messy closets - here's to hoping you get what you want! :lol:

Cie - I just looked at your pics, and I have to agree, that WOW - you really do look amazing. Not just the from weight loss, but you look like you're happier and you are beautiful!

My journey isn't nearly as big as many 3FC members, and I'm not even halfway there yet, but I do know that getting from my start weight to where I am now has taken me a lot of mental work. I found that the starting point for me, was when I finally felt that not only did I want to lose the extra weight, I wanted to do *the work* that was necessary to lose it. It seems like such a minor point of difference, but that was what was needed for me to begin.

I have been taking the past few days easy - my asthma is acting up something awful, and I can't use my elliptical until I get it back under control. Stupid cold virus and cold weather triggered it. Sigh - just when I had finally started to lose again after my summer/fall plateau. My dance classes start again in a couple of weeks, so I have to stuff that stupid asthma back into submission in the next week if I'm going to be able to go. Steroids and weight gain, here I come! :mad: At least it'll be temporary...

BP

BP

Cie
01-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Happy New Year Everybody
Cie - I just looked at your pics, and I have to agree, that WOW - you really do look amazing. Not just the from weight loss, but you look like you're happier and you are beautiful!

Thanks, bopeep!

I hope the struggle with the asthma is temporary too. All the best for 2009.

bopeep
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
The asthma is unfortunately, permanent - I've had it since I was a baby. But this flare-up is a temporary thing, brought on by a cold virus and spending too much time in the cold air. I know how to get it back under control, but it's a pain in the rear (or rather - lungs!) for the intervening time.

DH and I are heading to HMV to hit their cheap movie section to stock up on some films we want. We rarely go out to the cinema anymore, since it costs us more than $30 by the time you figure out the metro fare, tickets, and something to drink. We can buy three of four movies at HMV or Future Shop for that price, so that's what we've been doing lately. We can stop the film for bathroom breaks and if we like it, we can watch it as many times as we want fo mo extra cash! :)

BP

Ruthxxx
01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Happy New Year, Canadian chickies. I'm back from a somewhat stressful week in snowy Vancouver and Nanaimo. Took two days to get there and two to get back. Of course, dog drop-off complicates things.

Anyhow, I'm glad to be home and snuggled into my house with the Doggage who were absolutely delighted to see me. There have been lots of cuddle sessions and the wee one sleeps on my foot as often as he can.

Soft Christmassy snow is falling right now. The woodbox is full, the stove is heating the back room and I don't need to go anywhere tonight. It feels like Sunday night but we still have two days before Monday. I love it!

2b125by46
01-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Has anyone seen this?

I was shopping at Walmart today and came across The Biggest Loser protein shake powder.

I bought a can b/c I was running low of the kind I usually drink so I can try TBL kind. It has Ally last times winner on the container.

You mix 1 scoop with 5 oz of water. I will let you all know what it tastes like tomorrow.

By the way I bought the chocolate.

LMB

fatmad
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Happy New Year everyone! :newyear:

I have been taking the past few days easy - my asthma is acting up something awful, and I can't use my elliptical until I get it back under control. Stupid cold virus and cold weather triggered it. Sigh - just when I had finally started to lose again after my summer/fall plateau. My dance classes start again in a couple of weeks, so I have to stuff that stupid asthma back into submission in the next week if I'm going to be able to go. Steroids and weight gain, here I come! :mad: At least it'll be temporary...

BP

BP

Bo Peep:
Have you had a trial of Singulair? If you have a health plan and can afford it, it may help with regulation and inflammation without the problems of steroids.
Its not for everyone (don't I sound like a drug commercial) and doesn't work for everyone, but can have great results for some. Works on a different part of the immune response so avoids some of the nasty side effects.
Problem, it costs the earth. Even with a drug plan paying 80%, I pay about 40 dollars for a one month supply for my daughter. Worth it tho, she can still be active and feels good on it.
Happy new year,

bopeep
01-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I've never tried Singulair, but I'm not a good candidate for several reasons. I was kind of excited when it came out, since I hate taking steroids, and I thought it would get me off them, but this is not the miracle drug for me :( I know several people who take it and it's great for them, but unfortunately, the severity of my asthma and other health issues make it not as effective as the particular steroid I take full time.

Oh well - most times, I'm able to keep it under control, but I just had my two worst triggers happen at the same time, so I had to pull out the big guns and down a weeks worth worth of oral steroids on top of my regular inhaled ones. They're kicking in today - I was able to do a half an hour of slow speed on my elliptical and a half an hour of slow-down light weights. No real cardio yet though.

DH and I got some good movies! HMV had tons of them for $4 and $6! So we've been flopped out on the sofa having a movie fest :)

BP

fatmad
01-04-2009, 09:39 AM
We have fine weather right now, but are expecting freezing rain later today. No fun at all.
I am really having difficulty getting into exercise. Am going to try out some snowshoes today, to get outside. Even with the wii fit, I am not enjoying indoor exercise.

2b125by46
01-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Tell me more about the Wii Fit. I saw on my Jillian Michaels newsletter that she is going to have a wii program released this month to go with the wii fit. It will work just like having her there. I don't have the wii system but I think I might enjoy having Jillian Michaels coach me through exercise.

LMB

CoraLH
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Is it too late to join this thread? I live in Southeast Manitoba.

2b125by46
01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Its never too late to join this thread. its a way for us Canuks to keep in touch.

Glad to have you with us. How is the weather there? In Southern Ontario we are waiting for freezing rain. Northern Ontario getting hit with a lot of snow.

CoraLH
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi! and thanks for the welcome. we are also under a lot of snow and right now the there is a windchill warning in effect. Our windchills today were between -40 and-45 I figured it was a good day to stay inside and curl up in front of a nice wood stove with a good book.

2b125by46
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
That is some serious cold you are getting. I call that "skin freezing weather" I have heard the weather channel say that if you go out skin can freeze in X number of minutes.

I sure don't blame you for cuddling in front a fire with a book.

Stay warm,
LMB

2b125by46
01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
I have been awake since 3 am when I heard my DS let the dogs out and I couldn't get back to sleep. Today is back to work day. I have 2 students to pick up this am and I will finally be able to give them their gifts.

Since I was up so early I have showed and did 10 min on the gazelle at 4 mph. I have gone to get my working van and went to get my DS some lunch money from bank machine. I am now having a protein shake breakfast and my vitamins while I wait for the time to pass. I don't pick up my first student until 820 am.

Hope everyone has a safe day. By the way there is snow on its way for Tuesday and Wednesday in Southern Ontario. Here we go again.

Cie
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
It will work just like having her there. I don't have the wii system but I think I might enjoy having Jillian Michaels coach me through exercise.

LMB

I did the 30 day Shred and it was terrific. Someone posted on another thread her weekly radio program which can be downloaded as podcasts.

We had a surprise snow storm here last night. It started just as I was finishing my walk on the seawall. With the wind blowing it was dramatic and fantastic. Traffic is pretty bad this morning and some schools are closed.

:welcome: CoralH

CoraLH
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Good Morning,
It is a balmy -34 here with a wind chill that makes it feel like -40 and we are expecting more snow on Tuesday. I got an hour in on the wii fit and I am just getting ready to go clean out the horses stalls. It's been so cold that I have
been letting them stay in the barn. I am hoping that the tractor will start so I can move some snow before it snows again.

scrappinRN
01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
By the way there is snow on its way for Tuesday and Wednesday in Southern Ontario. Here we go again.

I dreaded reading your post b/c it is so cold here in southwestern Ontario(Windsor) today and I don't want to complain but I HATE COLD:mad:
Anyway, I am sorta a newbie to this thread and am looking for somewhere to go and share with people.
Here's my story,
I am a Canadian(duh), living in Ontario(southwestern), with two kids, and sweet hubby and my cute dog. I have aquired this weight over several years but mostly since the birth of my son(he's 11) and since my 30th b-day. I am an educated and knowledgable dieter but I have no :dust:.
So, I have all the tools but no willpower and I am weak. My goal is to be a healthy , happy hottie on my 40th birthday( about a year and half away.
I look forward to your posts.

bopeep
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
We have no weather drama here for the next few days. A few flurries, a few bits of sun, normal temps. It must be the End Of The World!!! :rofl:

Scrappin - I know what you mean by hating the cold - I seriously hate being cold! I have started perimenopause and am getting hotflashes - unlike most people, I look forward to them because it's the only time I'm warm lately!! :D

I was able to do a half an hour on my elliptical again yesterday, and I didn't feel like my lungs were going to go on strike, so I think I can start to ramp it up a bit today - maybe I'll be back to proper cardio level by the end of the week! Yea steroids! :carrot:

It's also time to haul out my seed box and put some of the ones that need a cold period into the fridge! :woohoo: Seed starting time is always a big mental pick-me-up. I'm an obsessed gardener and the smell of dirt and the tiny green shoots emerging give me a reminder of what's waiting for me once the winter is over - :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:

BP

2b125by46
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Scrappin, I was in Windsor last week, where abouts do you live in Windsor. I live about an hour a 30 min east of you but travel to Windsor at least once a month to see my Aunt and my Dad who live there. I grew in Windsor and still feel like its home to me.

It was cold here but the sun was shinning, which made the vehicle feel warmer than it usually does.

2b125by46
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
where the guy said "I can make you thin" he does it through hypnosis?

Well his book came out recently, 30% discount if bought at Walmart, I bought one and have been using the cd that comes with the book since Saturday. I think its working. Your suppose to read the book first then listen to the cd once a day everyday for 2 weeks. I haven't read the book yet but I have been listening to the cd, which I ripped onto my PC and then downloaded onto and MP3, since Saturday. I think its working. I feel more motivated than I did a week ago and I don't seem to feel as hungry.

I also have upped my calories a little. I am following a formula I saw on the net. The formula is:

Weight X 12 = x
x - calories (500 = 1 lb a week, 1000 = 2 lbs a week, 1500 = 3 lbs a week) = amount of calories to eat daily.

Mine is: 245 X 12 = 2940
2940 - 1500 = 1440

Now with each weight change you redo the calculations.

I use http://www.thedailyplate.com/ to keep track of things. This is my personal plate http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/users/myplate/ and my profile http://www.livestrong.com/profile/

CoraLH
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Well our weather today is a little more reasonable it is only -17 it feels like spring after what we had been getting. Anyway I have a WW meeting and weigh in tonight. I'm hoping to see good results on the scale but I will admit that I am a little nervous.

Cie
01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Well our weather today is a little more reasonable it is only -17 it feels like spring after what we had been getting. Anyway I have a WW meeting and weigh in tonight. I'm hoping to see good results on the scale but I will admit that I am a little nervous.

We are also back to "normal" here. It's a monsoon outside. The snow downtown is almost gone.

:goodluck: with the weigh in. :cool:

CoraLH
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM
My weigh in went well, I was soo happy. Their scale matched mine at 198, but I got on my scale this morning and it said I was down another 2 pounds.
I am going to weigh myself again tomorrow to make sure before I change my tracker. DH is coming home today he works in Northern Alberta for three weeks at a time and I hope I don' t gain anything while he is home. He is very supportive but sometimes he craves things that I shouldn't eat and I get way to tempted becuase once I start I can't stop. My weakness is chocolate ice cream and cake. Anyway wish me luck.

scrappinRN
01-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I was watching the hightlights from the Jr Canada Hockey Team and was so pumped and proud for the moms of these boys. Life is cold here again but I made it to the gym today and had a good workout. I was a little concerned about my heart as I am a little hypertensive and my doctor gave me so meds but I think if I lose weight and exercise it will lower. Anyway, I had some mild discomfort(very mild) around my heart area so I slowed down and it stopped. Not sure if the two were related or not as I was only working at a very mild pace with low exertion. I will continue to be aware of my exertion level.
I did use some weights today and I love it but I need to get a more organized routine in order. Iwill figure this out this weekend.
Why does the gym scale always have to make you heavier then the home scale?:mad: The gym scale must be right or maybe its the :devil:
CoralH-Congrats on the weight change, I know what you mean about the ticker
Cie- I would hate all that rain especially with cold...brrrrrr
2b125by45- I live outside of Windsor, in the county. I tell people I live in the sunny south b/c alot of time the weather is miserable elsewhere and sunny here.
bobeep- I feel all your sunshine coming from your post-bring on spring

Good day to ever:Dyone

bopeep
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Scrappin - if you can afford one, you might want to consider getting a heart rate monitor. I got one for my DH. He was diagnosed as hypertensive a year ago, but our GP held off on the meds since he said he would initiate an exercise program( :faint: I'd been trying to get him to do that for years!). He has been doing cardio workouts for a year now and and his pressure is now mostly in the normal range. But I was a bit worried about how this sudden exercise would affect a fairly sedentery guy, so I bought him a heart rate monitor (I bought a Polar brand one). It is great for helping you adjust the intensity of your workout to a level that is good for your heart - it's so much easier to stay in your target zone. They are basically a 'watch', which is your display (it also tells the time), and a band you wear around your chest. Some cheaper ones don't have the chest band, but they're not nearly as accurate as the ones with the band. You can buy them in most sporting goods stores for $100-200 (or less on sale). They're also just handy to have around if you have heart issues - I have a friend who had an arrhythmia diagnosed because he had one and was able to doccument it.

I signed back up for my dance classes yesterday - they start in two weeks! :carrot: I really love them!

And I also had a bit of nervous worries yesterday. One of my kitties had symptoms of a urinary tract infection, so I took her in to the vet, and I was sooooo worried that it was something more serious. The last two times I took a cat to the vet for a minor seeming thing, it turned out that the minor seeming thing was caused by something very serious - one cat was diagnosed with kidney failure, and another cat was diagnosed as diabetic. But it looks like all I'm dealing with is a UTI. I am so relieved that that is all it is! Little Miss Beast is now on antibiotics and is already responding, so all should be well! :D

I think I need to get my :sunny: vibes going again - we're in the middle of a blizzard today.

BP

meowee
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi everybody . . . :grouphug:

Mother Nature has been getting even with Nova Scotia over the past week and a half for all the calm and mild weather we had in December. I've actually been pretty lucky in that my electrical power, my heat, my TV Cable, and my telephone came through a couple of pretty nasty storms in tact -- unfortunately the Twelve Days of Christmas were definitely not as kind to my internet connection. :mad:

Hopefully everything is back to normal now -- guess I shouldn't say that too loudly since we have another storm on the agenda for tonight/tomorrow -- and I'll be back to check in with you all again tomorrow.

anewme09
01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey, can I get in on this thread too?

I'm new to 3FC's and just started HM on Dec. 30th. Down 15 lbs since I started watching my weight before Christmas but am down 10 with Herbal Magic.

I'm glad to have found all of you! It's nice to be amongst friends :)

2b125by46
01-08-2009, 07:21 AM
getting on the board yesterday?

I had a the 24 hr stomach flu yesterday. It hit me while driving home and stayed with me until after I fell asleep for the night. Stomach cramps and the 'runns'. This morning I seem to be ok so far. I drank lots of mint tea last night to help with the stomach and today I will be eating bland foods

Cie
01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey, can I get in on this thread too?

I'm new to 3FC's and just started HM on Dec. 30th. Down 15 lbs since I started watching my weight before Christmas but am down 10 with Herbal Magic.

I'm glad to have found all of you! It's nice to be amongst friends :)

:welcome2:

Wow, all you do is watch your weight. And I had to work! Just kidding!

scrappinRN, forgot to mention that the cold left too. So, we're facing flooding and mudslides now. I also watched the Juniors. They just about lost it a few times but the win was sweet!

CoraLH, glad the scale was kind!

2b125by45, :getwell:

meowee, I have Telus TV and watch Maritimes TV because you have shows I can watch or tape earlier in the day. I saw what you were going through.
Cie

:rain:

CoraLH
01-08-2009, 11:10 AM
YAY! The scale was telling the truth yesterday, so I adjusted my tracker this morning.

anewme09
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Wayda go CoraLH :)

I lost another 1/4 lb this morning, I know it's not much but I've been sick and I guess my meds are making me retain water, at least I haven't gained.

CoraLH
01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Down, no matter how much is always a step in the right direction. Congrats on the loss.

anewme09
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I weighed in again this morning and I'm down another 3/4 of a pound, so I was pleased with that :)

meowee
01-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi . . . :wave:

Another little storm has come and gone and today was mostly sunny but cold. For some reason both seacoasts have taken a beating lately. Not all that unusual for us but definitely something different for the Vancouver area. :lol:

Here's hoping we all get a string of good weather for a few days. . . :crossed:

anewme09
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
We are in for another storm tomorrow and expecting a far bit where I live. I would love to see palm trees to be honest, I'm tired of the cold weather LOL

meowee
01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Seems that you won't be sending us the next storm until sometime Sunday evening. Right this minute I see a bit of white falling, though that is not supposed to be in our current forecast. Hmmmmm.

Ruthxxx
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
-29 right now. I need to get some long johns!

Snow is predicted tonight going into Sunday and I'm battening down the hatches after I bundle up and lug in a ton of firewood. Where is Prince Charming when you need him? Times like this I consider getting married again - but the thought leaves quickly! :lol:

JuliaDH
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Hello All Ya Chicks! Been gone a few months. But I found you! Looks like youre all doing well eh! I am also in kitchener same as Tomato. We haven't been able to connect yet! Truck driving hubby = not much time away from the kids for some girlfriend time :-(. Have a great weekend! Hugs

CoraLH
01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
It's supposed to be -11 here on Sunday, big change from what we've been getting. Might be a good day to fire up the snowmobile and spend the day on the trails. Oh Yah! I forgot, DH's family is coming out for dinner, so I guess I get to spend it in the kitchen cooking. Oh Well, what can you do!

2b125by46
01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I am home alone and loving it. I have stairalized my birdfeeders and have one refilled waiting for another to dry and then I can put it out. With all this snow you have to feed the feathery ones.

I don't have a dishwasher so stairalizing is a job and a half.

I so enjoy my quiet time. With all the snow DH has been working nights moving snow and then home during the day when I have my 4 hours off inbetween school trips and I really miss quiet time. I get real *****y if I don't get my quiet time. Its the only time when I don't have to be wife and mom. It my me time and I do with it what I want. clean, laundry, tv, naps, exercise, computer whatever I want it my time uniterrupted.

Does everyone make time for me time and if so when is yours and what do you do?

fatmad
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Have been away a bit lately, long work hours. Very little sleep. Bad weather added to the mix, making driving a little longer and more difficult for sure.
Today has been ok, some sun, quite cold and a bit of wind.
Went cross country skiing today.
I really know I need to do more strenuous exercise like this more often to get used to it. I was ravenous afterward, even tho I had a granola bar on the way home, to prevent getting too hungry.
And was a bit wind whipped and wind burned too.
Am going to set up the nordic-trac to do instead of a run for the wii fit.
Easier on my knees, and will get me in shape to do more skiing.
Any of you Ontario women interested in a ski date? I have some time off from January 26th to Feb 19th. I usually go up to the collingwood area to do some skiing on my holidays. Anyone have a trail nearby where we could go?

On another note: after working all night, I often pick up breakfast on the way home, I need to eat to sleep well during the day.
I decided on an egg mcmuffin, no hash brown, and an oj.
this instead of the tim hortons breakfast sandwich or bagel belt.
Looked it up, the egg mcmuffin has 290 cals (!) including 12 g of fat.
I was quite surprised, there is nothing greasy about it, which is why I chose it. I know the cheese and the meat has a bit, but this seemed excessive.

The Tim's breakfast sandwich has 360 cal, and only 13 g fat if no bacon.
The country biscuit is quite greasy too. The bagel belt has 410 with bacon, including 14 g fat, so assume taking away the bacon would help, but the don't give the nutritional stats. I usually get the breakfast sandwich on a bagel, and only eat half the bagel if I can, but usually get hungry later in the drive and eat it. I drive about 35 to 40 minutes home from Stratford, and eating helps me stay awake, and saves time when I get home and want to get to bed.
Anyother breakfast ideas?
:)

2b125by46
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Its sponsered by our Gov. http://stairway.hc-sc.gc.ca/calcalc.aro

CJZee
01-11-2009, 06:53 AM
[COLOR="Purple"]Hello all! I'm NOT Canadian, but I live in Key West, FL, the southernmost point in the U.S. And there are so many Canadians down here in winter it FEELS like I'm in Canada, lol. Has anyone on the board ever been to Key West????

meowee
01-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi gang . . .

It was a gorgeous sunrise this morning but the sun has gone away and we are working up to another storm I afraid. Oh well.

Nice of you to stop by CJZEE . . . afraid I've never made it any further than the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami regions and that was many, many years ago. I'm not much of a snowbird; guess I'd rather just stay home and complain about our weather. :lol:

Ookpik
01-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I got this poem via e-mail today and thought I'd share...

WINTER Poem

It's winter in Canada
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Canada
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Canada
I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!

fatmad
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Ookpik, the poem is v funny LOL, but I think the quebecois say it better:
mon pays c'est l'hiver. (my country IS winter) Years like this I really believe it. The warmer almost snow free winters we had had for a few years before last year, I really didn't enjoy winter as much. We would have the odd storm, some snow then a melt, etc. Wet and humid, and cold enough to be cold, but not snowy enough to enjoy. I will take this anyday.
Had another great cross country ski today, a good hour on the trail.
Was perfect, except started a blister. Oh well, that can be healed.
Happy day everyone

Ruthxxx
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
It may be cold but it's gloriously sunny and clean out there. There was a lovely moon set this morning as well as a sunrise.

I just hauled in firewood for a while and then took out the dogs and gave them snow baths. It's kind of like dry shampooing them and they love it. Hey, we live in this country so we may as well enjoy it. I'd make a snow angel but my old knees would not let me get up once I had finished.

Going out for dinner tonight and am being picked up by a snowmobile pulling a sleigh thing. That's real country! I feel like I need to find a buffalo robe and a gun to ward off the ravenous wolves.

anewme09
01-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone :)

Just thought I'd stop in for a quick hello and see how you're all doing? Tomorrow I finally start week 3 *yippeee* I've stayed on program all weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the scale will move south for me lol

kiki100
01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey there! I spent today the Canadian way tobogganing all afternoon!! We trudged across snow drifted fields to get to the hill and I must admit I love the cold air in my lungs and the snow all a glitter around me, it was truly beautiful! I'm exhausted now mind you...but it was a great day!!

srmb60
01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
It was nice here today too. I walked to church and again this afternoon to run a couple of errands. Cool, clear, partly sunny ... very nice.

meowee
01-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Oh I just love that little poem, OOKPIK, thanks for sharing it.

Our sun faded fast yesterday and another six inches of snow hit the ground overnight. :shrug: At least today, the winds are fairly calm even though there is no sunshine in sight.

Have a great day, evderybody -- keep warm -- :wave:

Tomato
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Hello All Ya Chicks! Been gone a few months. But I found you! Looks like youre all doing well eh! I am also in kitchener same as Tomato. We haven't been able to connect yet! Truck driving hubby = not much time away from the kids for some girlfriend time :-(. Have a great weekend! Hugs

Yeah, Julia, we better fix that in 2009!!! Especially when we live relatively so close to each other. But I know, life gets in the way.

Ruthxxx - if you haven't gotten your long johns yet, check out Giant Tiger - they carry these micropolar undies (long-sleeved Ts and long johns) - they are not cheap (I believe $19.99 per piece) but they are excellent. I always put the long johns on when I go out to shovel snow and they keep my legs nicely warm (and I have a lot to shovel so I stay outside for a quite some time).

Here is a question for fellow Canuck chickies - which clothing do you think has the most atrocious mirrors in their fitting rooms? I vote for Winners, although I have to admit that don't shop much elsewhere. But my local Winners store (Julia, the one close to you) - I am actually surprised that I DO spend any money there because when I look at myself in the mirror there, I would cry. Either my mirror at home has some magical qualities and is very kind to me or the Winners mirrors are the worst. It always shows huge amounts of loose skin on my stomach, a big muffin top and I don't know not. I look completely different in my mirror at home!!!
Anybody else with a similar dilemma? :dizzy:

tleef
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Hello Fellow Canadians! I have been off this site for so long I forgot how wonderfully supportive everyone is. I'm in Calgary, AB and our weather has been beautiful so far for 2009! December was yucko, but so far January has been beautiful. TG for Chinooks!

Hope everyone is having a terrific day. Chat soon!

Tamara

JuliaDH
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I feel cold today! Just imagining a lovely day in Hawaii! Hmmmm warm sunshine, warm breeze and warm sand!

Ookpik
01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh I just love that little poem, OOKPIK, thanks for sharing it.

No prob! We are getting pretty cold weather here lately and the poem seems appropriate! One day last month, the temps got to around +14 and the roads got really slippery - police said around 50 vehicles went off the road and were abandoned on the highway between the towns where I live and work (around 35 km) - and I'd still rather have the freezing cold temperatures to that. The warm weather is nice but makes driving much too dangerous.

bopeep
01-13-2009, 12:17 AM
ookpik - I am still laughing at your poem. I'll need to haul it out and laugh some more in a couple of days. If I haven't frozen to death,that is - the weather guys are forecasting -28C by Friday. Guess my sun dance didn't work :(

I'm going to run the errands I need to run tomorrow, and then huddle up under blankets and cats with my new books, until it's safe for me to go out (I can't go out if it's too cold because it triggers my asthma).

I think I'll make some baked beans on Friday - the stove going all day will be a biiiiig help keeping the place warm! This appartment is really badly insulated, so it's nice to have the extra warmth (cheap a** landlord didn't even insulate the floor! - there's a crawl space underneath, but no insulation.).

BP

2b125by46
01-13-2009, 10:11 AM
They cancelled busses this morning. I didn't even know that the weather could get bad enough to cancel which I am thankful for b/c I had a great night sleep. If I know that the weather could be iffy for the drive to school it freaks me out and I don't sleep. So I have been trying not to spend too much time watching the weather lately, only to get the highlights.

Its a very heavy snow that fell last night and it has started snowing again. I am getting some venison roasts ready to cook for supper tonight. If anyone has any secrets to making the roast good let me know please.

srmb60
01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
It's really snowing here too. I did legs yesterday so walking was a chore! But I'm sure it used calories ;)

Cie
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi,

We finally can see some sun coming. Today will be partly cloudy and by Thursday will be sunny. Cool. The seawall is still closed so have to walk through the woods on the trails which is wonderful.

I am still working on my maintenance eating. So far so good. I have a bone density scan on Friday so keeping fingers crossed that all is well.
:cool:

JuliaDH
01-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Yuck! Wet snow and the roads are getting slippery here. Going to Centre at the Square to see a play with my dd class. The Hungry Caterpillar. Should be good. Love getting kids interested in theatre.

kiki100
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Ooooh, the snow was blowing this morning! BUT...we walked to school!! My kids' school parking lot is CRAZY busy and so not worth attempting to drive but on a day like today I had a neighbour stop to ask if we'd like a drive! LOL. My van is in the drive and I'm sure she thinks we were crazy!! But it wasn't too bad and I'm happy to have the exercise!!

Ruthxxx
01-13-2009, 11:25 AM
The snow has just started here and it's just around 0º BUT the Deep Freeze will descent tonight. I'm going out to the Library today to stock up on reading because I sure don't want to go out when it gets to -30! Call me a wuss!

CoraLH
01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Back in the deep freeze here. It was -36 with a wind chill making it feel like

meowee
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Cold but mostly sunny here today and I took advantage of it and spent most of the day out and about . . . tonight, a bunch more snow; tomorrow, a lot of rain; tomorrow night we go into the deep freeze too.

srmb60
01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Lots of snow. They're starting to close roads and our meeting in Kitchener is cancelled. I'm kinda glad and will stay home nice and cosy.

fatmad
01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Brr, its getting colder, snowier and blowier. Wow, its a big winter blow.
Probably coming to a town near you, if you are east of southern ontario.
No way am I going outside to walk, or ski or anything. Glad to have the wii fit so I don't have to go to a gym or anything. WIll hunker down, keep warm and keep fit.
supper is in the over.
Sorry I'm a little late for advice on a roast venison, my husband claims citrus helps take away the gamey taste. I like wine for braising myself, both tenderizes and adds rich flavour.

JuliaDH
01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I havent heard of any closures here. But yep north west of kitchener gets so much blowing snow and whiteouts. Stay safe! I have been cold all day today! Usually I am the sweaty one. So praying I am not coming down with something. Have a job interview tomorrow as a care aid in a seniors independent living home. Haven't had an interview in 8 years. Should be interesting!

Remember your layers ladies. Keeps ya warm.

meowee
01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Mild right now, but things are turning into a slushy, sticky mess out there as the temperature starts to drop.

srmb60
01-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Julia? Let us know how the interview goes???

2b125by46
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
The BEST DAYS to do things: January 2009
Bake 4, 5, 26, 31
Can Fruits and Vegetables 10, 11, 12, 20, 22
Dry Fruits and Vegetables 13, 14
Cut Firewood 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Cut Hair to Increase Growth 2, 3, 6, 7, 26, 29, 30
Cut Hair to ****** Growth 13, 14, 18, 19, 23, 24
Mow to Increase Growth 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Mow to ****** Growth 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Castrate Farm Animals 1, 2, 3, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Dig Holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Dig Post Holes 13, 14
Harvest 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25
Pick Apples and Pears 13, 14, 23, 24
Prune Trees 20, 21, 22, 25
Wean 1, 2, 3, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Hunting 1, 2, 3, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Quit Smoking 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 23, 24
Potty Train 1, 2, 3, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Jams/Jellies 20, 21, 22
Demolition 13, 14, 23, 24
Wash Wooden Floors 13, 14, 23, 24
Wax Floors 2, 3, 6, 7, 26, 29, 30
Wash Windows 23, 24
Paint 1, 6, 7, 13, 14, 27, 28, 29, 30
Marriage 2, 3, 6, 7, 18, 19, 29, 30
Start Diet to Lose Weight 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 23, 24
Start Diet to Gain Weight 2, 3, 29, 30
Kill Wild Onions and Weeds 13, 17
Best Days to Hunt 1, 2, 3

bopeep
01-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Mow to Increase Growth 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Mow to ****** Growth 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Dig Holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Dig Post Holes 13, 14
Harvest 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25
Pick Apples and Pears 13, 14, 23, 24
Prune Trees 20, 21, 22, 25
Kill Wild Onions and Weeds 13, 17

:rofl:

In January? In Canada?

/looks out window at thermometer: -26C

Whoever wrote that must live in Florida!! :lol:

BP

2b125by46
01-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Its the Almanac, Its for both All of Canada and the US. I am sure someone, somewhere needs to mow their lawns, dig holes, harvest, pick apples and pears, prune trees, or Kill Wild Onions and Weeds.

But right now in Canada just about everywhere in Canada NONE of the above is happening. But I sure would love to mow the lawn just for a little while.

LMB

Ruthxxx
01-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Just in from lugging out the trash. It's a tad brisk out there!

Ookpik
01-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Today the temps were -49 with the windchill. I darn near froze to death shoveling! I don't care what my next vehicle is, but I do want it to come with a plow on the front!

meowee
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
More than a little bit cold . . . :brr:

meowee
01-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Another nasty cold, cold, cold (but sunny) day in Nova Scotia. I hear that the Western provinces are enjoying a mild spell. Glad somebody's got a little warth.

Cie
01-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Weather report from the West Coast. We had sunny days forecast for this week, but noooo! We are engulfed in fog below the mountains. GRR! I think I will go to SFU today to visit the sun or go to the mountains. :devil:

I banged my knee so I am rehabbing it for a few days.

Take care.
Cie
:beach:

CoraLH
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Yay! We're in a heat wave. From the -40's to -2.

2b125by46
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
We from Ontario are beginning to sound like stuck records. Here in Wardsville its snowing and blowing again. Up to 15 cm expected. Dh went to his brother this morning so I hope he doesn't try to drive home in this. I just took DS to a friends house in the next town over. Drove real careful. So right now its just me and the dogs and if I am very lucky it will be like that until morning.

LMB

fatmad
01-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I love winter and snow, but this bitter cold takes it out of me, but its getting up to a balmy -9 tonight, so there is improvement coming. Its been too cold for the dog to sleep in the garage, even tho the woodstoves chimney heats it a bit, but the veggies, sodas and beers were freezing, so dog in the house. She doesn't like it so warm, but better than too cold for her.
Hope the snow doesn't get bad, I want to go to a sing around in Heidleberg tonight. And need to drive to Welland to check on the elder parents tomorrow.
have a nice weekend friends, stay warm. Cie, hope you see the sun!

meowee
01-18-2009, 09:02 AM
We were only -22 at daybreak this morning and it's definitely on the rise with a -6 predicted for us overnight -- with lots of snow, of course. The bad part is that the sunshine is fading fast. :halfempty Hard to bewlieve, but they are sayining +4 and rain for Monday.

2b125by46
01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Its warmer here. Its all the way up to -6 with a wind chill of -11. That is so much warmer that I could turn the Thermostat down a few degrees.

Its still snowing lightly though here.

Yesterday my DH went to his brothers near the lake about 30 KM from home it took him more than an hour to drive home last night b/c the county he was in had not plowed their roads. He was home an hour when the snow removal guy called and asked him to come into work. He had now sleep. He was home by 6 30 and will more than likely go in tonight too.

LMB

Cie
01-18-2009, 01:22 PM
have a nice weekend friends, stay warm. Cie, hope you see the sun!

Yay! The sun is out today. I guess it is supposed to stay shining for a few days.

I used to live in BC north so used to love the cold too. Now I'm glad to be here. :sunny:

Hope you had a great weekend.

2b125by46
01-19-2009, 10:32 AM
:carrot:I woke up this morning at 239 lbs I have made it to my first goal. I am just thrilled.

LMB

JuliaDH
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
2b125by45 - That is wonderful news! Congrats!

2b125by46
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Thank you so much. Between the support from the members on this board and tracking my calories on the daily plate I am going to get this weight off.

2b125by46
01-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I woke up this morning to a beautiful day. The sun is shining which makes the temp deceiving. It is still super cold out but I love that the sun is shining. Yesterday drive home from the schools took forever. I didn't drop off my last student until 5 pm. Thats half hour after his due home time. Once I got a little farther west though you wouldn't even know that it was snowing so hard. My town got next to nil where 25 km east of us was getting snow squalls and up to 8 inches of snow.

I look forward to next week exams will be done and I have a 3 day weekend.

I hope everyone is safe and warm where they are.

LMB

meowee
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
We've got the opposite . . . :lol: . . . pretty much back to seasonal temperatures, but no sun in sight.

fatmad
01-20-2009, 09:22 PM
my Dad is in hospital with heart problems, and all I can say is that I have no complaints about Canadian, specifically Ontario health care. I was happy with the RN care he was getting, but a bit iffy about the doc in the small local hospital. Fortunately, he too knew his limitations, and had some testing done at a large centre of excellence in Hamilton, where my dad is now admitted and being cared for. In the end, all the tests and bell and whistles have not led to anything new, or more treatable, but I rest easy knowing all has been done and that he is in good hands. Have been able to return home for the night.
Am now also working on getting a diagnosis of dementia for my mother and appropriate home care for her too.

Much tho I love Canada, I was also very moved by Barak Obama's speech at the inauguration today. The American people are fortunate to have such a leader in these difficult times.

It will be another bitter night. We have had the dog in the house to sleep during the last extreme cold spell, and we have brought her crate in again.
Got to keep her warm.

Cie
01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
my Dad is in hospital with heart problems, and all I can say is that I have no complaints about Canadian, specifically Ontario health care. I was happy with the RN care he was getting, but a bit iffy about the doc in the small local hospital. Fortunately, he too knew his limitations, and had some testing done at a large centre of excellence in Hamilton, where my dad is now admitted and being cared for. In the end, all the tests and bell and whistles have not led to anything new, or more treatable, but I rest easy knowing all has been done and that he is in good hands. Have been able to return home for the night.
Am now also working on getting a diagnosis of dementia for my mother and appropriate home care for her too.

Much tho I love Canada, I was also very moved by Barak Obama's speech at the inauguration today. The American people are fortunate to have such a leader in these difficult times.

It will be another bitter night. We have had the dog in the house to sleep during the last extreme cold spell, and we have brought her crate in again.
Got to keep her warm.

You have a wonderfull attitude in dealing with pretty hard issues.

I watched the inauguration too. Tremendous.

We still have foggy conditions here bur rain is coming again. :rain:

bopeep
01-22-2009, 01:02 AM
2b - congrats on your first goal!!!! :carrot: It's so motivating to realize that you *can* do it!

Nothing exciting on the weather front here - cold and getting colder again this weekend. I gave all my plants a good bath and hose down in the shower and pretended it was spring. Took a long time, because I have a lot of plants - I am perhaps a wee bit obsessed :D

BP

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-22-2009, 01:27 AM
HELLO MY FELLOW CANADIANS ~ we also were impressed with President Obama's speech and those moving ceremonies. Yes, we too were kind of envious of them having such an inspiring new leader: where can we get one like him? And, I thought Aretha's Version of 'My Country tis of Thee' was stirring (DH and I were stirred to tears), but then I am a Martin Luther King Jr. fan.

I kept recalling the first time I read Mr. King's speech 'I Have A Dream' in high school; I was so moved that I kept it to this day! I don't know how it appeared to Americans, but I know that Canadians and other countries around the world, felt that this was a momentous day in history. No doubt, Mr. King and maybe Abe too, were looking down and waving ecstatically, while shouting Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah ...

CORAL ~ our temps dropped to -3 C today and that does seem like a heatwave where we are (way up north); it was a bit damp and snowing quite a bit tonight, but we'll take it. :lol:

FATMAD ~ you do have your hands full; best wishes and prayers for your Dad & Mom, and :congrat: on reaching your mini-goal!

We had a great day; ate well; and feel well. Have a great week! :hug: ROSEBUD:hug:

ProteinGal
01-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi my name is Sharon and I live in AB!

Nice to meet you all!

2b125by46
01-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Sharon, Welcome to the group. I hope the weather is treating you well where you live.

LMB

meowee
01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Good Morning Crazies . . . :grouphug:

This morning we have sunshine but later this afternoon there s snow in the forecast. Hopefully not too much. :crossed:

:welcome: to our little group SHARON . . . glad to have you joining us. :wave:

Cie
01-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi my name is Sharon and I live in AB!

Nice to meet you all!
:welcome3:

Glad you are here. :cool:

fatmad
01-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi Friends:
Have made it home, with my Dad moving in for about a month. That way I am here to help. There is no longer any kind of interim care available for him, (unless we pay for it) where he can be home with lots of help, so I will do that, and happily. I feel a great sense of relief. Much less driving.
It is warm now, freezing rain here actually, but going to -18 overnight!
stay warm friends

2b125by46
01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I ate a huge bowl of ice cream last night with chocolate syrup on it and was feeling a little disappointed in myself today. I had 5 days of no cheating done and then succumbed to the ice cream devil.

While shopping in Walmart they had some journals out for sale and one of them had this poem on the cover by Jill Wolf. It perked me up and kept me on plan even with McyD's smelling so good.

This is the poem:

Don't Quit

Don't quit
when the tide is lowest,
For it's just about to turn;
Don't quit
over doubts and questions,
For there's something
you may learn.

Don't quit
when the night is darkest,
For it's just a while 'til dawn;
Don't quit
when you've run the farthest
For the race is
almost won.

Don't quit
when the hill is steepest,
For your goal is almost nigh;
Don't quit,
for you're not a failure
Until you fail to try.

LMB

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
:wave: HELLO TO ALL ~ We've been having a snowstorm here all day; and the winds are still howling out there at we speak, but DH and I are all cozy and staying in tonight ...

:hug:LMB ~ I think we've ALL had one of those slip days; the most important thing is to forget about it, and just keep on going!!! That's a cute poem.

:welcome: SHARON ~ nice to have another Canadian joining us here.

Have a great weekend everyone! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2b125by46
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
The temps in my area are: -11.7C with a Wind Chill of -19. The sun makes it the temps so deceiving. When you look outside you wouldn't think that is was so cold out.

Today is my lazy Saturday. I tape shows all week so that I can enjoy them later and today that is what I am going to do.

Does anyone else here allow themselves a Lazy day? and if so what do you like to do on you Lazy day?

LMB

fatmad
01-24-2009, 01:01 PM
i can veg out totally wiyh mindnumbing stuff like solitaire or hearts on my laptop. It the mindnumbing part that seems important, I actually don't "love" it, or even enjoy it. But my brain is busy enough to avoid thinking about whatever is stressing me, or thinking about nothing but the stupid game.
This is actually another habit I would like to break, or at least do less of, but it doesn't affect my health the way overeating and my weight do, so it hasn't been a priority to change.
I think an occasional lazy day to watch shows and relax is fine.
You have a nice day, keep warm and enjoy.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-24-2009, 10:22 PM
ABSOLUTELY ~ the weekends are mine; I do all my housechores and shopping (when we can) during the week, so that I can have the weekends free to do as I please. We have cold temps here too (-20's C with cold northern winds), but we had beautiful sunshine today and it seemed much warmer than it was.

Have a great weekend ladies ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
01-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Gorgeous sunny and cold day shaping up for northern Nova Scotia with a predicted high of -17. Yesterday was actually +3 but dull and damp and my back was a definite mess because of it.

Nothing big on my agenda for today. Hope everybody has a great day. :yes:

fatmad
01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
As we get thru the cold arctic spell, it makes me wonder: how many of us have problems with exercise due to the weather?
I know one of my problems (excuses?) a few years back was exercise and cold induced asthma. Now that I am out in the country, going for walks along the road isn't safe, and the snow is too deep to go on the trails etc. and the gym is far away.
It really says something to my committment that I got the wii fit and am using it, even getting the nordictrack out and dusting it off and using it this winter.
Any other Canadians with weather related issues for weight loss and fitness?

Keeping toasty in the house, its -17c out there, and a good windchill

meowee
01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
:lol: I just plain have exercise issues regardless of the weather. Of course, lately I've been having sore back and sore ankle issues as well. :dizzy:

It's still mighty cold around northeastern Nova Scotia -- today's high is supposed to be -20. Feels more like southeastern Ontario (Ottawa area) weather. :brr: Normal for us is more like -4 or -5 this time of year. At least the trade off is a beautiful blue and sunny sky.

Hope you all have a great Monday. :grouphug:

JuliaDH
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I am enjoying the sun shining in to the living room! I wish I did not have to leave my warm spot to take kids to school. I feel like a cat soaking in the warm sun!

2b125by46
01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I am like meowee, I just have exercise issues called LAZINESS. I blush at the amount of exercise equipment I have and yet without a treadmill I feel unsatisfied. I have considered getting the Wii fit system and getting the Jillian Michaels fit game but by the time I spend all that money I would be half way to a treadmill. I am not sure which I would use more of. I have a gazelle and a rowing machine and a stepper and yet none of them are appealing to me. My sister has a treadmill and I try to use it whenever I babysit which lately hasn't been that often. I love walking my dog but I really do hate the cold. I am so looking forward to the temps when they stay above freezing. I walk the dog at 10C and up.

LMB

meowee
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
My Gazelle has joined my treadmill -- both are folded up in the garage -- I haven't been on my Wii Fit in months. :o :o :o

fatmad
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
so meowee what are you doing for exercise?
I have put my nordictrack in the room with the wii fit. A treadmill or gazelle etc would work well, (we have a treadmill, but would have to take it apart and reassemble to get it into the room we are using for the wii) for the running program. I don't like running on the spot, so alternatives like those are great.
the nordic track is happy to be used again after sitting in storage for 2 years!

meowee
01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Afraid I have to own up to "nothing"; although right now I can more or less blame it on the bad back; it really is just an excuse.

It's cold but sunny around NS again today but methinks the fact that the temperature is a bit higher is going to prove the long term forecast of more snow will be correct. :shrug:

fatmad
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
meowee, I'm going to recommend some yoga and/or pilates. helps the back quite a bit, especially if you find an experienced teacher who can work with special needs. I quite enjoyed my small yoga class with a teacher of 25 yrs. experience. Anyone in the class could state an issue, (feeling blue, low back pain, period pain, bad knees etc) and she would create a session for us to focus it. Always left there feeling better, even if the workout felt like a killer while doing it!

meowee
01-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks . . . I may just have to go looking for some Yoga classes around here . . . although it will hve to wait until the latest batch of weather blows through.

This morning it's a balmy -17 and there is hazy sunshine, but, by this evening we are due to get about 20 cm of snow followed by freezing rain and then plain rain as things warm up tomorrow morning -- should be a pretty mess. :no:

Better get moving around 3FC so I can get in the shower and out for a few staples before the storm arrives. Hope it manages to miss a few of you.

2b125by46
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Its snowing again here in Ontario We are getting the storm Meowee will be getting later in NS. The roads were really bad this morning driving the student to school. I am guessing the "powers that be" didn't cancel buses b/c its exam week and the exams were already screwed up last Friday do to a 2 hr fog delay. I will be leaving home a 1/2 hr earlier today so that I am sure I am in the city before my time to pick up students. The ride home will be slow though. The plough trucks haven't been out too much that I can see except to drop sand and salt. I would like to see more ploughing of snow.

My boss forgot to put the new wipers I requested during that last snow fall so that also made the ride interesting. I called him hopefully he will remember to do it this time after lunch and before I leave.

Hope you all have a safe day and evening. Stay warm and dry and don't go out unless you absolutely need to.

LMB

meowee
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Nova Scotia is a skating rink . . . our high of +4 occured before daybreak and it's getting lower and lower every hour.

fatmad
01-29-2009, 09:45 AM
yup, we got lots of snow too. I have been off plan for a couple of days, and am going back to the wii this morning for a good workout. We are planning a couple of days of skiing (cross country for me, downhill for DH) next week. So I have to be up for it! Keep warm everyone!

2b125by46
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Can I just say I love PA Days. I slept until 10 am. I have no plans and if I can help it I may just have a nap too.

LMB

2b125by46
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Can I just say I love PA Days. I slept until 10 am. I have no plans and if I can help it I may just have a nap too.

LMB

fatmad
01-31-2009, 08:46 AM
2b125 I'm so glad you enjoyed the day off. But isn't it now lazy Saturday.
We slept late for a change. My daughter changed work days from Saturdays to Sundays, so we can sleep later on a Saturday now. Will have to get up to drive her to work on Sundays tho. LOL
Can't win them all
I'm gonna start a Cross country thread if anyone wants to chime in

2b125by46
01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Fatmad, I didn't get a nap. I actually took my DS into town got my water jugs filled and some cash for him. He is going to a concert tonight in the city with some friends with my van.

I also had to take care of some by law work. Sending out orders by mail. Then at 8 I am babysitting my sisters kids.

2b125by46
01-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Just a note about babysitting. My sister as 4 foster children the youngest is just a couple of months. He wasn't in the mood to sleep so I didn't get to treadmill. I really thought I would get the chance to since all children would be in bed but babies have their own schedule and my sister has this habit of babies staying awake for cuddling after all other children are in bed. Everytime I tried to put him down he would wake up.

I was home by midnight.

fatmad
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
2b125 I am tired just thinking of your schedule.
I did get to my wii, did strength training for 20 minutes, then a yoga show. Went skiing for a bit this afternoon with a friend.
This friend is VERY fit, does biking like for 100 km in a day, and has hiked, like mt kilamonjaro!. But I was the better skier. This has never happened to me, to be better and more athletic than her. It won't last if she keeps practicing, but was nice for a change.

meowee
02-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Good Morning . . . and Happy February to all . . . :grouphug:

2b125by46
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Happy February to you too.

2b125by46
02-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I found the Trans Canada Walking site and you can now virtually walk across Canada. http://maps.tctrail.ca/index.jsp You register and than record your Steps pr Kilometers and it will keep track of where you are and how far you have gone. I need a step counter but I have signed up.

2b