Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/172/120

Height: 5'1

Default New Mommy ready to drop the pounds - Advice??

Hi,

I am new to this board and new to mommyhood. I am 28 and have just had my first baby. I am now ready to lose some of this weight, and am looking for advice, tips etc on what worked for others.

Any diets I should check out? I have a treadmill and used to be an avid runner, so I have made a plan to get back into that - but exercise usually isn't my problem it is the eating component...
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/281/150

Height: 5'7

If you can, or if you choose to... Breastfeed. Burns up quite a few calories!
RachluvsFashion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #3  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Hi, welcome to the boards! I hope you'll find lots of support here. We have a runners thread, maybe it's interesting for you to check out

Well, what exactly is the problem with the eating component? Portion control? Eating the wrong foods? Snacking too much? Having trigger foods that you can't stop eating? Never feeling full? Or maybe something completely different, or a combination of these . For each specific problem there are strategies that you can use to tackle it.

What kind of approach were you thinking? Do you want to do a specific diet (Atkins, Fat Smash, South Beach for example), or calorie counting, or eating healthier stuff in general? Planning is the key.

A decent advice is generally to make a food diary. Many people are surprised at what they actually eat when they start writing it down. You might notice patterns that you can use to change your eating. Or if you are totally at loss you could always post the entire thing here and see what people have to say about it.

Good luck, you can do it!
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

well if your looking to lose weight you came to great place! I just joined a few months ago and ive the people here are supportive motivating, helpful, and overall just really great girls!

There are tons of challenges always going on to help you stay motivated with a fun outlook on exercising, I know you sid exercising really wasn't the problem, but for me ive noticed i exercise almost 100% more than i did before joining here.

Like elwig said, and shes great! Figure out exactly what kind of approach to eating and im sure no matter what is someone or someones can help you out!

luvmyinnerdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #5  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Everyone here is great, and you'll find a lot of tips and ideas. It is great for support and reading other poel who are going through the same struggle.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

for me personally, calorie counting is the only diet on which I've had success for more than just a week and a few pounds. It's not as time-consuming or complicated as people tend to believe- it's actually quite easy, and I would recommend giving it a try as your plan.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #7  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I agree with Kelly. it's been the only plan I can really stick with.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Another calorie counter here!! Lost 8lbs in 5 weeks while eating 1900-2200 calories (breastfeeding), and working out. Are you breastfeeding? If so, don't go below 1800 calories. It is SO important to maintain a level adequate to nourish you AND your baby! It's also important not to lose too quickly while breastfeeding. Fat has toxins and if you're losing too quickly you can detox into your milk supply. Not good for baby! I read here that 1% of your body weight a week is safe to lose. So I weigh 152 and can safely lose 1.5lbs a week.

How old is your baby? Have you received the OK from your Dr to exercise? If so, I'd start with a nice brisk walk for 20-30 minutes. And light weight lifting 2 or 3 times a week. If you're ready for more of a challenge, 30 Day Shred is fantastic and there's already a whole thread with info on it!!
hotmamacitax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #9  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Well, I have started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and have seen awesome results and I haven't been that diligent with it (HAHA!) so that's really saying something about it's potential for serious results. I am new to calorie counting, but my baby is 13 months old and I have been yo yo dieting for the last year trying to lose the weight- since I've started calorie counting my weight has been much more consistent and my loss has been MUCH more consistent. Learning that I have to take in ENOUGH calories to fuel my body has been a real challenge, I always equated eating LESS with losing weight, but in my case (and for most women) I need to eat MORE to lose MORE.

Figuring out how calories work to fuel my body, and that when I have had enough I am really full and fueled, has changed my whole perspective on weight loss.

Good luck, you're sure to find the support you need here as well as the resources to figure out what's best for you!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote