Weight Loss Support - Slender, healthy people eat fruit for dessert and .....

doIlookfat?
11-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Or at least this is what I strongly believe now.

Also...

Skinny people can cut up veggies and have it in the fridge for handy snacks.

Skinny people find the time to exercise and it just doesn't feel right if they have to skip a day.

Skinny people can leave food on their plates because they feel full.

Skinny people eat smaller meals throughout the day, and can stop at "just a few". They are great at brown bagging it too.

Skinny people have healthy foods stashed in their purses or cars for emergencies.

Skinny people have learned that if you turn down food that is offered to them, the one offering will just have to deal with it. Food does not equal love.

Skinny people will find other ways to relieve stress, anger, anxiety, hurt, ect., other than food.

Skinny people eat what they want, but in moderation. But mostly what they want are nutritious, not junk.

Does anyone have anything else to add?

PrettyPaula
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
skinny people dont feel guilty about food choices.

skinny people love cooking.

RangerChic
11-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Skinny people don't let food rule them.

Haley8203
11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Skinny people love to go clothing shopping!

nelie
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
The skinny people you guys know are different than the ones I know but...

My (skinny) husband does snack all day long and can keep food on his plate and can stop after eating just a few. Food also doesn't have an emotional tie for him.

DisgruntledOne
11-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Can I make a suggestion? I think we should change this to healthy people cuz we all know just cuz someone is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy! And healthy is what we want.
so.......healthy people know how to have a balance in their life. such as a balance of play/relax time and time to move and work on their bodies.

sh3l5
11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
i love this thread!....

RangerChic
11-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Can I make a suggestion? I think we should change this to healthy people cuz we all know just cuz someone is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy! And healthy is what we want.
so.......healthy people know how to have a balance in their life. such as a balance of play/relax time and time to move and work on their bodies.

I agree. I already saw it as healthy people, not just "skinny." :)

doIlookfat?
11-28-2008, 05:13 PM
We can change it to healthy. When I thought up "skinny", I was thinking it would be the catchy title of my book one day....

iriswhispers
11-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Skinny people find the time to exercise and it just doesn't feel right if they have to skip a day.

so true.... when I used to be thin I always felt crappy if I skipped a day of exercise. I don't mean guilty - I physically just felt like crap!

bluet6
11-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I think some people are born skinny, but some of them have to struggling hard to get that body. Some of them can eat the whole turkey in thanksgiving, and some of them have to diet everyday

Lori Bell
11-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I only know a handful of naturally thin for life people and I have noticed that they do things a lot different than me and my overweight friends.

They order appetizers as their meal and have dessert, skipping the main course.

They will eat a candy bar for breakfast, and not feel bad about it.

During their 15 minute break at work, they go out side and smoke, (or visit with the smokers) instead of hit the vending machine.

They work on home improvement projects late into the night instead of sitting down in front of the TV.

They socialize more, they do more activities with church groups, work friends and school, they are not loners.

Family night is the bowling alley, not the movie theatre.

They have no idea what "The Biggest Loser" is.

They get rid of clothes because they are worn out.

They walk their dog twice a day.

They play "sports" with their kids.

smiles4u
11-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Skinny people have great genes and great jeans!

Gogirl008
11-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Skinny/healthy people see food as a necessity for good health, not an obsession to be planned and coveted.

Skinny/healthy people let their body decide when it's time to eat.

doIlookfat?- BTW~Great book title!!!

DisgruntledOne
11-28-2008, 11:48 PM
We can change it to healthy. When I thought up "skinny", I was thinking it would be the catchy title of my book one day....
I do think that would be a cute title for a book! Sorry I just have seen some threads that have been "hijacked" cuz someone didn't like the way something was phrased and the subject of the thread was completely thrown out the window. I was hoping to avoid that since I like the idea of this thread.

doIlookfat?
11-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Here's more....

Healthy people don't obssess about food 24/7.

Healthy people don't eat to stuff down their pain.

Healthy people can turn down a piece of cake and eat a fruit cup instead. (and actually be happy with the fruit cup and not run out and buy a whole cake the next day because they couldn't get the passed up cake out of their minds!)

BillBlueEyes
11-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Healthy people don't lick the bowl when they make cornbread.

looloo86
11-29-2008, 07:38 AM
lol some of you added really funny stuff especially buying the cake afterwards lol.
mmm i'll add some of mine
skinny people once they add 1pound they'll do anything to get it off their bodies not wait untill its 50.
they never say i'll start tomorrow they always start now

srmb60
11-29-2008, 08:57 AM
How's that for a title change?

BTW ... I really like the idea of this thread too. Should we make bracelets :D

Glory87
11-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Heh we had a similar thread not too long ago in Maintainers. My slender mother had a bowl of peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert last night. She's never done any formal exercise in her life!

rockinrobin
11-29-2008, 09:36 AM
(most, not all) slender/healthy people:

-don't speak of this as some "diet" that they're "on".
-don't beat themselves up if they've had a "slip". They just get right back into "healthy mode" pronto. They haven't "broken their diets" (cause they're not ON one) when they eat an "off" food.
-stay accountable by frequently weighing themselves.

doIlookfat?
11-29-2008, 11:24 AM
(most, not all) slender/healthy people:

-don't speak of this as some "diet" that they're "on".
-don't beat themselves up if they've had a "slip". They just get right back into "healthy mode" pronto. They haven't "broken their diets" (cause they're not ON one) when they eat an "off" food.
-stay accountable by frequently weighing themselves.

I couldn't agree more, rockinrobin. :cheer2:

Healthy people have chosen and LIVE a healthy lifestyle. They do not go on and off "diets" till they find the right one.

Ufi
11-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Pass on a treat because they "just brushed their teeth."

Talk about how much they love certain foods without drawing unapproving looks or comments.

Starrynight
11-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Healthy people look at fruit as the real treats, not candy.
Healthy people can indulge in food with a few bites, not a few bowls.
Healthy people stay on top of their health/weight and don't procrastinate about it.
Healthy people never feel deprived because they don't think in those terms.
Healthy people have no problems saying no to food because food isn't everything.

kelly315
11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
slender, healthy people are a lot more complicated than we make them out to be. Few people really believe an apple is a desert, and fewer think that running ten miles is a top-notch form of entertainment. This is what I believe anyway. I do believe that there are people out there that are able to get more joy out of things like healthy foods and exercise, and because of this they're often more slim and healthy looking than normal people. But there are also people out there that have worse habits than say, a 400 pound person, but still stay slender and seem healthy.

Can you finish this sentence? Fat people....? I can't.

PhotoChick
11-29-2008, 12:34 PM
slender, healthy people are a lot more complicated than we make them out to be. Few people really believe an apple is a desert, and fewer think that running ten miles is a top-notch form of entertainment.Thank You!!!

This thread started out well, but is kinda getting on my nerves now with it's tone of ... I dunno ... absolutism. Skinny/slender/healthy people are just as complex as anyone else and to boil them down to a few "skinny people are" phrases is silly.

I've posted this many times before and I'll post it again. My mother was naturally slender and healthy. Yes, she loved fruit and veggies, but she was a FIEND for chocolate and especially homemade fudge (the kind you beat into submission). She ate healthy most of the time, but yes she *did* lick the bowl when she made something yummy. I've seen her eat salad for dinner. I've also seen her eat a piece of chocolate cake for dinner. She never went to the gym, but she *moved* every day and she had more stamina and strength than most people I know. If you asked her what her favorite dessert was, she wasn't going to tell you "fresh fruit".

Skinny/slender/healthy people often have just as many struggles with food and exercise as everyone else. Most of them have healthier habits than those of us who let things slide and got fat, but skinny people are not paragons of food virtue and to say they are is just ridiculous.

doIlookfat?
11-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I was just trying to have a little fun. Sorry my silly and ridiculous thread got on anyone's nerves. It was not my intention to do so.

I apologize.

Heidi

sidhe
11-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Healthy people don't focus on food. Their attention is elsewhere.

Ailey60
11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I love this thread and do think the catchier title would be "Skinny people" rather than "Healthy people" but I agree with DO that skinny the way we commonly understand it does not automatically imply healthy.

For my addition skinny people move more as part of the natural course of their day.

EZMONEY
11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I was just trying to have a little fun. Sorry my silly and ridiculous thread got on anyone's nerves. It was not my intention to do so.

I apologize.

Heidi

You have nothing to apologize for HEIDI...it is a great thread.... :hug:

Ija
11-29-2008, 03:03 PM
You have nothing to apologize for HEIDI...it is a great thread.... :hug:

True...

Can I add mine? Okay, People who are skinny/healthy/other related adjectives don't inhale their food, they actually eat it!

luvin2lose
11-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by EZMONEY
You have nothing to apologize for HEIDI...it is a great thread....

I totally agree. Great thread no matter what the title or even if it "gets on someones nerves".

Skinny people do not obsess about what their next meal will be.

Skinny people don't mindlessly snack in front of the TV.

meowee
11-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Here's my perfect example of the difference between fat and skinny people and their eating habits. It's one that I've remembered all my life -- although it never managed to turn me into a skinny person. :shrug:

When I was in my twenties and fresh out of school (yes, we did have Universities back in the dark ages), I weighed about 125 and was always trying to lose 15 pounds (oh, for the good old days :dizzy:) My apartment-mate was 5"5" and weighed 95 pounds on a fat day and, yes, she was always trying to gain. At any given meal, Suzanne could actually eat me under the table with hardly any effort but, of course, she didn't eat like that all the time.

The major difference between us was very evident on those 'nibbly days'. You know those times when you want something to eat but you really don't know what it is. I would run around eating everything in sight in the hopes that I would find the perfect thing that I wanted. Suzanne would eat nothing until she decided just what it was she wanted.

DeliciousBoo
11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Healthy people leave food on their plates when they have had enough.

rockinrobin
11-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Skinny people do not obsess about what their next meal will be.

Hmmmm. I don't know about this one. I am a former morbidly obese person, who now considers herself to be a healthy weight/slender person.

I don't *obsess* about my next meal, but I most certainly am aware of it and know for sure where it's coming from. When I didn't do that - well that's part of the reason I was morbidly obese. I left my food consumption up in the air. Didn't think about where my next meal was coming from. I knew I'd find something. But now - something - is not good enough. It's got to be planned out in advance and not left to chance if I want to make it a good and healthy choice.

Star2Be
11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
WOW, I love this thread, too! And I don't think the title is irritating at all--I think it's pretty obvious that we're not saying ALL healthy people do ALL of these things ALL of the time... It's just for a bit of fun, y'know? :rolleyes:

Healthy people take the stairs instead of the the elevator, because they're not worried about getting out of breath from traipsing up the stairs.

Healthy people drink water with their meals instead of soda!

Healthy people don't only have healthy days every once in a while, they have healthy habits most days and choose to have an unhealthy day every once in a while!

Healthy people weigh themselves fully clothed, whenever they feel like it, and don't wait until they've gone to the bathroom first! :lol:

chick_in_the_hat
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Healthy people weigh themselves fully clothed, whenever they feel like it, and don't wait until they've gone to the bathroom first! :lol:

Now THAT's just crazy talk. ;)

rockinrobin
11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Now THAT's just crazy talk. ;)

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

doIlookfat?
11-29-2008, 07:16 PM
How about skinny people plan their meals out at least a week in advance.

JayEll
11-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I know some of these slender, healthy people, and no, they don't plan their meals out a week in advance. :chin:

They eat what they want to eat, and they don't eat what they don't want to eat. They leave foods on their plate, and sometimes they don't even take it home.

If someone brings cake to work, and they don't like the flavor, they don't eat any. :dunno:

They don't like eating until they feel too full.

They can actually eat a handful of nuts and stop. They tend to eat "a serving" of Doritos (about 12 chips) and stop. They rarely go for seconds. :chin:

They tend to eat slowly.

The slim, healthy people I know--who have always been that way--rarely ever weigh, and when they do, it's always within 2 pounds of the last time. They just don't think about it much.

As for me, I'm now a close-to-normal sized healthy person. But having been obese at one time, I'm probably always going to have to work to stay this way.

Jay

rockinrobin
11-29-2008, 09:11 PM
First of all, I really believe that there is absolutely NOT one set of rules for ALL healthy/slender people. There's certainly more then one way to do things *right*.

I also believe that there are differences in how people who have always been slender/healthy people "behave" and those that were previous obese or overweight "behave".

Lori Bell
11-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you ever checked out the grocery cart of a skinny chick? I have. It's interesting that they don't always have it stocked with lean cuisine and fruit & veggies. Next time everyone is at the grocery, check it out. You will be shocked. skinny chicks buy a lot of the same foods as fat chicks, they just don't eat it like a fat chick does.

Onmyway
11-29-2008, 09:34 PM
They don't drive around the parking lot waiting for a close space to open up. They park the car wherever and walk!

C

PhotoChick
11-29-2008, 09:55 PM
ARGH.

They don't drive around the parking lot waiting for a close space to open up. They park the car wherever and walk!Yes, they do. They do look for the closest space. Often.

How about skinny people plan their meals out at least a week in advance.No, they don't.

Healthy people drink water with their meals instead of soda!That's just utterly laughable.

Healthy people take the stairs instead of the the elevator, All the healthy/skinny people I know take the elevator for whatever reason.

THIS is my problem with this thread. Not the original concept but this utterly ludicrous series of DECLARATIONS of What Skinny People Do.

The problem with this is that just like there is no list of What Fat People Do, there is no list of What Skinny People Do.

And beyond that, the more ridiculous this list gets the more people who are fat who don't do these things start to feel guilty or down on themselves because they don't do these things.

I see nothing wrong with a real discussion of the differences between how healthy/slender people relate to food and how unhealthy/fat people relate to food. That's a VERY valid discussion.

When it turns into a caricature of what some people *think* a skinny person should do, then it becomes less than useful to anyone, and guilt inducing to many.

And no, I will not apologize for that opinion. I know I'm not alone in it - I'm just the only one who is willing to get beat up after saying it.

doIlookfat?
11-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Skinny people don't sit on the couch all Saturday with a large bag of Ranch flavored Doritos, convinced it's "one serving". It serves one!

Ailey60
11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree with EZmoney--You have nothing to apologize for. You are not in control of what and how people post.

Everyone is just sharing their opinion. Some of us will relate to some people's posts more readily than others.

I, for one, agree that skinny and fat people are more complicated than we sometimes chalk them up to be. But the brainstorm is fun and we all can take what clicks for us and leave the rest and, of course, add our braindrops as well.

Thanks for the thread Do I. It's threads like this one that can help pull those of us who have strayed back on to the path. :angel:

rockinrobin
11-29-2008, 10:49 PM
First of all, I really believe that there is absolutely NOT one set of rules for ALL healthy/slender people. There's certainly more then one way to do things *right*.

I also believe that there are differences in how people who have always been slender/healthy people "behave" and those that were previous obese or overweight "behave".

Okay, this is weird. I'm quoting myself here.

I think we're all pretty much aware that not ALL skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim people, drink water with their meals, NEVER soda.

And I think we're all pretty much aware that not ALL skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim people take the stairs instead of elevators.

And I think we're all pretty much aware that not ALL skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim people, pick the parking spots furthest from the door.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

We are all aware of that, aren't we? ;)

It's just a generalization. Giving some good tips on how to GET to be that skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim person.

doIlookfat?
11-29-2008, 10:54 PM
"It's just a generalization. Giving some good tips on how to GET to be that skinny/slender/thin/healthy/fit/trim person.

We are all aware of that, aren't we?"

I assumed everyone knew that! There is no doubt we are just making generalizations, not stating cold hard facts! :)

I for one am making some notes and getting some ideas that may help me!

Ija
11-29-2008, 10:54 PM
And beyond that, the more ridiculous this list gets the more people who are fat who don't do these things start to feel guilty or down on themselves because they don't do these things.

I sincerely doubt that, unless you're speaking only for yourself here.

This list was intended to encourage (in a playful way) positive healthy-weight-promoting habits that we have noticed among healthy-weight people. Does that mean every skinny person does each of these things? No. And none of us who have contributed to this list has ever said as much.

FB
11-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm reading this as each person's take on what it would take for them to be skinny, not skinnies in general, yeah. For instance, if I post several of mine - they really apply to me - my bads...

Healthy people usually don't eat a jar of peanut butter in 2 days!
People of a normal weight don't try different poses on the scale for a better weigh-in, because that 1/10th of a pound doesn't matter so much.

iriswhispers
11-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I've been enjoying reading this thread! I have to say that my skinny roommate runs 6 miles a day - but she also eats bags of M&M's pretty regularly! I guess you've got to keep a balance. =)

futuresurferchick
11-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Skinny/healthy people don't eat a lot of "low-fat" foods, they eat less of the real stuff and enjoy it more.

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
MY wife walks quite a distance from her car to work and the store when she could park closer

My wife always takes the stairs over the elevator, especially when we go to the plays....we are faster than the elevator!

My wife always has water at meals...rare she ever has a soda

My wife and I plan the majority of our meals out for the week....we have for almost 13 years now....kids or no kids....we do this almost every Saturday night w/o fail.

I used to eat whatever I wanted w/o gaining weight when I was a smoker and skinny...would not...in any freakin' way...recommend this!! NO-NO-NO!!!

why?....because there is a huge difference between being skinny and healthy and being skinny and unhealthy....but I am pretty sure that most of us KNOW the difference!

I love this thread!

OH and by the way my wife is 5'5" and weighs 119....yoga has zapped her of 4 pounds.....that and she gave up sugar 3 weeks ago.

Starrynight
11-30-2008, 12:13 AM
I think the thread was meant more for what we want to work on and get into the mindset of. Obviously it isn't true for all, its a generalization of the type of thinking we want for ourselves.
Also, I've always been a healthy person even though I was overweight.. my health has always been great. Fitness-wise, I could still run and play tennis and do some things a lot of skinny people around me couldn't do.
I think that most people on here know that not every slender/healthy person thinks of fruit as a treat or whatever. It's just a thread aimed at the type of thinking we'd all like to move towards, and it's easier to state extremes knowing that there are exceptions - people aren't ALWAYS nor do they need to always say no to cake but they'd like to work towards having the ability to say no.
When I say that I'm losing weight to a friend, I don't really state all the in between fluctuations where it has gone up and down because it's part of the process but the main point is that I'm losing.
It doesn't have to be that serious - I think most people are smart enough to recognize that some thin/healthy people can have horrible eating habits, some the same as ours (which still depends on the person), some that live up to the what we're listing, and some "skinny" people make very unhealthy choices to stay skinny.

I think it's more of what we tell ourselves each day or what we strive for in order for each of us to achieve our goals. I have trouble saying no to free food.. so my mantra would be that "Healthy/thin people can say no to free food" - even though I know a rare few who would.. I know that I need to move towards this way of thinking for me personally to achieve my goals.

I like this thread though, I'm going to add something else.

Healthy/slender people know that the option to eat chocolate will always be there, so saying no this one time will not be the end of eating chocolate.
(definitely my personal downfall..)

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Right on STARRYNIGHT!

Starrynight
11-30-2008, 12:33 AM
:)

rockinrobin
11-30-2008, 06:44 AM
MY wife walks quite a distance from her car to work and the store when she could park closer

My wife always takes the stairs over the elevator, especially when we go to the plays....we are faster than the elevator!

My wife always has water at meals...rare she ever has a soda

My wife and I plan the majority of our meals out for the week....we have for almost 13 years now....kids or no kids....we do this almost every Saturday night w/o fail.

I love this thread!

OH and by the way my wife is 5'5" and weighs 119....yoga has zapped her of 4 pounds.....that and she gave up sugar 3 weeks ago.

Gary, I wanna be just like your wife when I grow up!!!

Healthy/slender people know that the option to eat chocolate will always be there, so saying no this one time will not be the end of eating chocolate.

Starry, that's a biggie for me. I often, OFTEN tell myself, that I don't HAVE TO HAVE fill in the blank right now. That it WILL be there another time. Makes it MUCH easier to pass up.

:)And I LOVE the thread too. Some "suggestions" will ring out to me, others will not. But that's perfectly fine. Perfectly. :)

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Gary, I wanna be just like your wife when I grow up!!!

:) ROBIN I will tell you that I have known Angie since '95 and she has always (and not perfectly of course) eaten small portions, ran when she could....walked when she couldn't, stretched almost daily and done yoga - which has increased into her schedule much more the last 2 years. She used to do weights but not anymore.

She has small portions for dessert but always had a desert after dinner. She is not afraid to put smaller amounts of food on her plate...then get more if needed....me I just load up to save a trip ;)

She has cut as much sugar out or her diet in the last month....not for weight issues but to see if she feels better overall. Some of her recent 4 pound loss I think is because she just finished getting her yoga teacher credential and registration. This required over 250 hours of yoga training and observing, which meant more participation at times.

In a nutshell....my slender wife eats reasonable portions of reasonably healthy foods and remains in active exercise that is not real strenuous but will burn calories.

and kicking my butt from time to time off that recliner burns a few too!

JulieJ08
11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I do think there are differences between people who never gave their weight any thought and stay slim; people who nipped the problem in the bud and work a little to keep it that way; and people who have been obese and are now maintaining. And even within each group there are big differences.

But, yup, I don't think there is some big problem here. We all (OK, I'll rephrase that to 99.9%) know these are different ideas that work for different people.

rockinrobin
11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Gary, sounds like your wife has some great healthy habits in place. Ones that have kept her at a healthy, slim weight. Good for her. :)

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Gary, sounds like your wife has some great healthy habits in place. Ones that have kept her at a healthy, slim weight. Good for her. :)

That is true ROBIN....but she jumped on the scale this morning in her church clothes....no shoes...she weighed 121.2....I asked her "Why are you up?"

She said....."Turkey...mashed and sweet potatoes....pie..." :)

even for the "skinny" life has it's ups and downs :)

Findmyself
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Love this thread!!

I have one to add:

Skinny people don't hide when pictures are taken.

srmb60
12-01-2008, 05:41 AM
We were watching a program on TV last evening about food addiction. In response to a woman's remark that she was unwilling to deprive herself of snickers because she likes them, my 26 y o son (5'10" 165 lbs) said something like ... Deprive? I like snickers too but not every day.

So I asked him the obvious question and NO he never thinks he deserves a candy bar.

rockinrobin
12-01-2008, 05:59 AM
That is true ROBIN....but she jumped on the scale this morning in her church clothes....no shoes...she weighed 121.2....I asked her "Why are you up?"

She said....."Turkey...mashed and sweet potatoes....pie..." :)

even for the "skinny" life has it's ups and downs :)

For sure there are ups and downs. I now look at that as "part of the plan". But I bet your wife was right back to her healthy habits pretty soon after the turkeyfest.

Love this thread!!

I have one to add:

Skinny people don't hide when pictures are taken.

Good one!!!! Real good one.

We were watching a program on TV last evening about food addiction. In response to a woman's remark that she was unwilling to deprive herself of snickers because she likes them, my 26 y o son (5'10" 165 lbs) said something like ... Deprive? I like snickers too but not every day.

So I asked him the obvious question and NO he never thinks he deserves a candy bar.

I couldn't agree more. Eating snickers bars every day - now THAT would be depriving oneself. Of a healthy life. Snickers bars and that stuff are once in a while things.

Ufi
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Just curious: What DOES he think he deserves? Like after a hard day or whatnot.

srmb60
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Well ... he's at work. I'll ask him later. But he likes to play cards with his buddies, sleep, rip cars apart with his uncle, he plays ball...

nelie
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
My naturally thin husband doesn't reward himself with food so I couldn't imagine him saying "I deserve <some food item>"

What he will reward himself with is things like spending time reading a book, going for a hike, watching a movie/tv program he likes or playing a video game.

KLK
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Healthy/skinny people don't have to worry that their pants won't fit the same on Monday morning as they did on Friday afternoon.

jessisaokay
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
"Healthy people don't lick the bowl when they make cornbread."
Sometimes they do. ;)

I think most of what people are saying are great tips on how to be healthy and lose weight if you need to. But i also work with (at a gym) plenty of skinny girls who eat unhealthy food all day, are less active than most of the members, and probably cant remember the last time they had a raw veggie. I can tell you firsthand not everyone who works at a gym practices what they preach.

JulieJ08
12-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Healthy/skinny people don't have to worry that their pants won't fit the same on Monday morning as they did on Friday afternoon.

You know, I have a harder time with this the thinner I get, rather than the fatter I get. At my higher weights, I could binge, pants didn't fit that differently. Now, I can eat well (no binging) but my belly is always bigger at the end of the day. Pants fit differently. And if I do overdo it with food (but not binging), again, now it's a noticeable change in fit.

moon fairy
12-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Is this thread for real? I mean seriously? I've never read anything so absurd. I've been SKINNY all my life. But get this...I eat junk. I lick bowls of leftover batter. I do workout and I don't workout. Whatever I feel like doing on any given day. I know what the biggest loser is and am actually proud of the players when I see their before and afters. I don't keep myself occupied until all hrs of the night so that I don't have time to eat in front of the television. I do eat in front of the television. I don't order small appetizers. I order cheese/spinach dip with bread on the side. There have been times that I've forked down a whole dinner and ordered dessert. There have been times that I haven't because I was just too full. I have a dog and I don't take her for lengthy nature walks. I hate jogging and running. I don't get up early to exercise. I like to sleep in. I don't have all my veggies cut up in the fridge and ready to go. I take whatever's there. Be it an apple, a yogurt, a Joe Louis or a butter tart. I guess I'm just lucky that way. Yes, I drive my kids to sports but once they're there, I sit and watch. I don't join in. I'm so far from athletic it's not even funny. If I can find a parking spot that's close to the grocery store door, I'm going to take it. I don't drink pop with dinner only b/c the caffeine will keep me up all night. I only drink pop on Friday or Saturday b/c I know I can sleep in the next day if I was up 1/2 the night. I do try to make my menu's one week in advance but I do that for budget reasons. As I get older, I find that I do need to watch what I eat a little more carefully and I don't mind doing that. I don't always like it but I do it anyway. When I go to the gym, I go b/c I feel like I've accomplished something and I feel good about myself. I don't go b/c I would die if I didn't go.

I came on this site and I have made some wonderful friendships/relationships. I try to help my friends whenever I can by offering advice on what I've learned on diet and exercise. But I have to say, I'm truly offended by most of what I've read in this thread. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone in the thread. That's just my two cents!

junebug41
12-01-2008, 04:14 PM
You know, I have a harder time with this the thinner I get, rather than the fatter I get. At my higher weights, I could binge, pants didn't fit that differently. Now, I can eat well (no binging) but my belly is always bigger at the end of the day. Pants fit differently. And if I do overdo it with food (but not binging), again, now it's a noticeable change in fit.
I noticed that too! I used to dry all of my clothes in the dryer with no worries and now I line dry my pants because I'm worried about shrinking them. It's remarkable how differently my clothes can fit from day to day now.

But I have to say, I'm truly offended by most of what I've read in this thread. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone in the thread. That's just my two cents!

Just out of curiousity, what exactly do you find offensive about this thread? I guess some may see it as slightly naive or misguided or just plain not applicable to some people, but I just don't understand why it's offensive that some people perceive others who are skinny as having healthy habits. :?:

My dad is thin and has been his entire life. He DOES have veggies cut up and ready to go in his fridge (and always has). He DOES participate in his children's activities. He DOES take long nature walks. So I guess some skinny (and healthy) people DO do those things.

Just not you.

moon fairy
12-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Just out of curiousity, what exactly do you find offensive about this thread? I guess some may see it as slightly naive or misguided or just plain not applicable to some people, but I just don't understand why it's offensive that some people perceive others who are skinny as having healthy habits.

Is that what you got from this thread b/c that's not how I interrupted it. There's nothing offensive about thinking skinny/healthy ppl have good habits. What's offensive is that this thread has made some very incorrect generalizations about skinny/healthy people in a mocking sort of way/tone.

My dad is thin and has been his entire life. He DOES have veggies cut up and ready to go in his fridge (and always has). He DOES participate in his children's activities. He DOES take long nature walks. So I guess some skinny (and healthy) people DO do those things.

I never said they didn't. If you'll read my post correctly...I'm simply stating that not ALL of them do and as an example...I'm talking about MYSELF and MY experience.

junebug41
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Is that what you got from this thread b/c that's not how I interrupted it. There's nothing offensive about thinking skinny/healthy ppl have good habits. What's offensive is that this thread has made some very incorrect generalizations about skinny/healthy people in a mocking sort of way/tone..
Really? Where? I guess I did just comprehend it differently. To each his own :)

never said they didn't. If you'll read my post correctly...I'm simply stating that not ALL of them do.

If it was written in standard english, I assure you I read it "correctly" ;)

KLK
12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Why do you find this thread offensive? I'm not a thin person, so I'm not the "subject" of the thread, but I honestly can't find anything offensive here. All the responses have suggested that people who are thin have healthy habits that help them maintain their weight/health.

Personally, I don't think anything can be universally true for any group of people, no matter who they are. I know a lot of thin people who have awful eating habits, never exercise and don't really give their weight a second thought. I also know thin people with all these good habits and more and who really do worry about maintaining their weights. But I think the point of this thread was to highlight healthy habits that will MAKE a person thin/healthy, or stay that way, not an attempt to describe every thin person and lump them all together. My response was VERY tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously by anyone, but I don't think people who gave "serious" responses were trying to generalize every thin person in existence but rather point out that developing said habit will make you thin and healthy. Maybe I misunderstood the thread, but that's how I took it.

I came on this site and I have made some wonderful friendships/relationships. I try to help my friends whenever I can by offering advice on what I've learned on diet and exercise. But I have to say, I'm truly offended by most of what I've read in this thread. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone in the thread. That's just my two cents!

moon fairy
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Really? Where? I guess I did just comprehend it differently. To each his own :)

If it was written in standard english, I assure you I read it "correctly" ;)

So I guess we're not reading the same thing. Starting from page one, this thread has talked about what healthy/skinny people do. Things like, they don't eat in front of the TV, they have veggies chopped up and ready to go. What I'm saying is that not all skinny people do that. As I skinny person myself, I don't do that. I don't avoid drinking soda at night b/c I'd rather drink water, I avoid it for other reasons. Things like the generalizations that just aren't true.

That would be like me saying that overweight people are overweight b/c of the following...and list all the things that could be a cause. It's just not right. Everyone's the way they are for a certain reason be it medical, monetary, environment, etc.

moon fairy
12-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Why do you find this thread offensive? I'm not a thin person, so I'm not the "subject" of the thread, but I honestly can't find anything offensive here. All the responses have suggested that people who are thin have healthy habits that help them maintain their weight/health.

Personally, I don't think anything can be universally true for any group of people, no matter who they are. I know a lot of thin people who have awful eating habits, never exercise and don't really give their weight a second thought. I also know thin people with all these good habits and more and who really do worry about maintaining their weights. But I think the point of this thread was to highlight healthy habits that will MAKE a person thin/healthy, or stay that way, not an attempt to describe every thin person and lump them all together. My response was VERY tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously by anyone, but I don't think people who gave "serious" responses were trying to generalize every thin person in existence but rather point out that developing said habit will make you thin and healthy. Maybe I misunderstood the thread, but that's how I took it.

What I'm trying to point out is that not all that has been said above is true. That's all.

Thighs Be Gone
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
But I have to say, I'm truly offended by most of what I've read in this thread.

:?: Save it fer ya momma

KLK
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the thread. As I see it, the point of the thread wasn't to characterize what EVERY thin person does, but to point out that to GET THIN, these are the habits a person (probably) needs to develop. Like a personal mantra... "A thin/healthy person wouldn't eat this whole plate of brownies... a thin/healthy person wouldn't eat this whole plate of brownies... a thin/healthy person wouldn't guzzle down the whole half gallon of soda..." etc. I have personally said such things to myself in the past when I wanted to binge or wanted dessert --- as a reminder to myself. Regardless of whether or not a thin./healthy person would or has does that, that isn't the point. The point is that if I want to be a thin and healthy person, I shouldn't do that thing or I should develop that habit.

So I guess we're not reading the same thing. Starting from page one, this thread has talked about what healthy/skinny people do. Things like, they don't eat in front of the TV, they have veggies chopped up and ready to go. What I'm saying is that not all skinny people do that. As I skinny person myself, I don't do that. I don't avoid drinking soda at night b/c I'd rather drink water, I avoid it for other reasons. Things like the generalizations that just aren't true.

That would be like me saying that overweight people are overweight b/c of the following...and list all the things that could be a cause. It's just not right. Everyone's the way they are for a certain reason be it medical, monetary, environment, etc.

moon fairy
12-01-2008, 04:49 PM
:?: Save it fer ya momma

Yeah, that's real mature.

luvin2lose
12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Geez, why even respond to people like this? Sounds to me like "they" are baiting and flaming.

This thread is for fun. If you dont find it fun, DO NOT READ IT.

moon fairy
12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
They order appetizers as their meal and have dessert, skipping the main course.

They will eat a candy bar for breakfast, and not feel bad about it.

During their 15 minute break at work, they go out side and smoke, (or visit with the smokers) instead of hit the vending machine.

They work on home improvement projects late into the night instead of sitting down in front of the TV.

They have no idea what "The Biggest Loser" is.

They walk their dog twice a day.

They play "sports" with their kids.

Healthy people can turn down a piece of cake and eat a fruit cup instead. (and actually be happy with the fruit cup and not run out and buy a whole cake the next day because they couldn't get the passed up cake out of their minds!)

Healthy people don't lick the bowl when they make cornbread.

Pass on a treat because they "just brushed their teeth."

Healthy people weigh themselves fully clothed, whenever they feel like it, and don't wait until they've gone to the bathroom first!

Have you ever checked out the grocery cart of a skinny chick?

They don't drive around the parking lot waiting for a close space to open up. They park the car wherever and walk!

Simply put, all I'm saying is that these generalizations can be untrue.

murphmitch
12-01-2008, 05:03 PM

The purpose of the thread is to put healthy suggestions out there for people. It is not meant to generalize that all skinny people do these things. That would be absurd. Lighten up!

KLK
12-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Of course, but so can any generalization.

It's also worthwhile to repeat what others mentioned earlier in the thread: "thin" and "healthy" are not synonyms.

mandalinn82
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
What we have here are a list of healthy habits. Some of these habits are fairly common...and just like every weight loss method doesn't work for everyone, every healthy habit doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. Can we all agree to take these as "healthy suggestions" for ways to improve OUR eating habits?

Shannon in ATL
12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I wasn't going to respond to this thread, because I also didn't like some of the generalizations, but I had a thought I wanted to share.

In my experience, skinny people who used to be overweight are more likely to do a lot of these things listed, not 'naturally' skinny people. I know a lot of naturally skinny people who have a really unhealthy relationship with food, never exercise and sit around in front of the tv. (And I do know that there are some skinny people with great healthy habits, so don't think I'm bashing 'naturally' skinny people.) People who have lost weight have learned how to be healthy, a lot of 'naturally' skinny people never learned how to be healthy, they are just skinny as a quirk of their genetic makeup. Some may have healthy habits, some may have unhealthy habits. I would say that a lot of the things here are things I would like to do when skinny and leave it at that. :)

NYCT1981
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
i agree with moon fairy in that i don't think this thread is appropriate or true, and shannon in ATL that you can't generalize people who have been thin all of their lives - some have healthy habits and some don't. I wasn't going to say anything but it really irked me when I first saw it and I was surprised that people kept adding to it.

mazza
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I know a lot of naturally skinny people who have a really unhealthy relationship with food, never exercise and sit around in front of the tv. (And I do know that there are some skinny people with great healthy habits, so don't think I'm bashing 'naturally' skinny people.) ...... a lot of 'naturally' skinny people never learned how to be healthy, they are just skinny as a quirk of their genetic makeup. Some may have healthy habits, some may have unhealthy habits. I would say that a lot of the things here are things I would like to do when skinny and leave it at that. :)

I think this is a great point here. Thanks, Shannon.

Thighs Be Gone
12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Good for you moonfairy to jump out there on 3FC board to be the voice for "thin acceptance!"

EZMONEY
12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I just love a good fight

judipurple
12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
EZ - :lol3: - Are you saying you are off on the side, as an impartial observer??? Or, perhaps with a bit of voyeurism, you naughty boy:eek: ?

Ufi
12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Skinny people defy gravity. That must be nice. :yoga:

For those who argue against this thread, I'm curious as to what you think are the differences between people who are thin and who are fat?

PhotoChick
12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Responding to a couple of different people:
Geez, why even respond to people like this? Sounds to me like "they" are baiting and flaming.
This thread is for fun. If you dont find it fun, DO NOT READ IT.Last time I looked this was a DISCUSSION BOARD. That means when things are posted, people DISCUSS THEM. Discussion does sometimes include DISAGREEMENT. So are you now saying that no one is allowed to disagree and that in fact if you disagree with a thread, you're not allowed to read it, much less offer an opinion? And if you do disagree, even politely and expressing why you disagree, you're going to be called names and accused of "baiting and flaming"?

"They" are US. Fellow members of 3FC who are very uncomfortable with this thread, who have expressed that discomfort and who have been called names and accused of baiting and flaming for daring to express our discomfort.

What we have here are a list of healthy habits. No, it's not.

Healthy, slim people don't hide from the camera. (Newsflash: My SIL who was a Marine, who is in better shape than I even dream of being, and who is incredibly healthy HATES having her photo taken and hides from the camera all the time).

Healthy slim people don't worry about whether their jeans fit the same on Monday as on Friday. (Newsflash: My best friend who is a perfect size 2 and always has been is *more* worried about how her jeans fit on a day to day basis because she has less "wiggle room" than I do in my size 12s. If she eats too much salt or is bloated from her period or gains the tiniest bit of weight, her jeans are far more uncomfortable for her than mine are for me.)

(Those are just the two most recent comments that have nothing to do with healthy habits or any reasonable expectation of what healthy skinny people do.)

The point here is that the longer this thread goes on with it's ridiculous statements about "what healthy/slender/skinny people do," the more it sets people up for disappointment and guilt.

If I become a "healthy skinny person" and I still don't want to be photographed, that means there's something wrong with me.
If I become a "healthy skinny person" and I still lick the batter bowl when I make brownies, I must be failing at being healthy and skinny.
If I become a "healthy skinny person" and worry about how my jeans are going to fit after I eat popcorn at the movies, I must be doing something wrong because if I were a "normal" healthy skinny person I wouldn't feel that worry.
If I become a "healthy skinny person" and don't prefer apples and fruit to a chocolate brownie, then I'm a bad healthy skinny person.

And on and on and on.

It's one thing to have a valid discussion of the differences in lifestyle and views of food. It's another thing to have a series of one-liners that just aren't true.

As for the argument that this is what we "think" or "expect" that healthy skinny people do, how would any of us feel if we saw a thread about what skinny people "think" unhealthy fat people do? And how would you feel if you express discomfort about that and were told "it's only meant to be tongue in cheek" or "stop being so upset and baiting people"?

JayEll
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh for goodness sake... :lol:

People are just trying to get a mental handle on things.

Obviously someone who has been overweight all their life is not going to know much about what "skinny" people do or don't do--and someone who has never been overweight has no idea what that's like, either.

I've been both. When I was slimmer, I didn't think much at all about whether I should or shouldn't be eating things. I didn't plan meals, didn't get regular "exercise" at a gym, just plain didn't pay attention--so most of the things said in this thread didn't apply to me. Back then it didn't seem to matter. (Note: I was in my teens and twenties.)

NOW what I eat and how I eat does matter. Whether I plan exercise and actually do it does matter. Those naturally slim days are gone. :dunno: For me, I don't think they are coming back...

As for who should or should not be reading and responding to this thread--anyone can read, any member can respond. But there is such a thing as taking things too seriously! Lighten up, Chickies! ;)

Jay

horsey
12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Find a skinny person that's thin for life and watch what they do, like my 69 year old mom... she does what one article said, she eats mostly the same stuff, breakfast, lunch and varies dinner just a bit. She walks more "if" she overeats and within a few hours of doing it (like the French do thus sayeth the french dieting book). She eats mostly organic, buys produce in season at farmer's markets. She doesn't eat fast food. She doesn't eat junky carbs. She blends her own juice. She mixes her own oatmeal/flax/almonds/etc with lowfat milk for most breakfast's. If she eats breads, it's whole wheat or sour dough. She's a happy, centered person who doesn't emotionally eat. She exercises 20 min in the am before eating (these days on a bouncer), another 20-30 min walk in the afternoon or evening no matter what the weather. If she has to lose a few pounds so goes to once piece of bread instead of two and cuts the carbs just a bit, walks a bit more.

PhotoChick
12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Obviously someone who has been overweight all their life is not going to know much about what "skinny" people do or don't doWhich is kinda my point.

As for who should or should not be reading and responding to this thread--anyone can read, any member can respond. But there is such a thing as taking things too seriously! Lighten up, Chickies!Ok, look ... here's the thing. I'm not so much upset or offended as I am somewhat annoyed. And at this point I'm less annoyed by the thread itself than by the selective blindness that borders selfishness that's being shown by some members who I really respect.

How many threads here do we have where someone who is new to losing weight - or even someone who has made significant progress and is struggling - has said something like:

I ate a piece of pizza and now I feel like a huge looser. Someone tell me it's ok.

I am having the worst cravings and it makes me feel like a failure. I should be better than this. I just want to give up. I'm tired of this struggle.

I tried on a skirt today that was a size 16 and it was too tight. God I hate myself and I want to just go gorge on cookies and give it up now because I'll never be successful.

I'm at goal and I still feel fat and don't know how to respond to people when they compliment me. Why can't I get past this feeling that I'm the fat girl in the room?

All of those statements, btw, are paraprhased from threads that were started just in the last 5 days and can be found here on 3FC.

When there are people on this board who are having those kinds of struggles, then I do, honestly and truly feel that a thread like this is unhelpful. I do think that it could even possibly be hurtful to those who are already struggling with some feelings of futility or disappointment. I do think that it's a little insensitive.

I do honestly feel that. I'm not trying to bait anyone, flame anyone, or pick a fight. I'm trying to express that there are people on this board who are so willing to support their fellow Chicks, but when someone points out that their "game" might be counterproductive, they suddenly become blind to how their "game" might make someone else feel bad.

And if someone DARES to say they feel bad, they're grilled. Why are you offended? What makes you offended? Explain to me what EXACTLY about this thread offends you? Oh that?? You're just being silly and over sensitive. Well, too bad. I'm having fun. You should just lighten up.

That's not the 3FC that I have come to know and appreciate.

EZMONEY
12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
EZ - :lol3: - Are you saying you are off on the side, as an impartial observer??? Or, perhaps with a bit of voyeurism, you naughty boy:eek: ?

AW MAN! JUDI I should have said "cat fight" ;)

EZMONEY
12-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Personally I love a good argument...but I really think this thread borders on the most absolute ridiculous of posting I have ever seen here....and it was meant to be for all of our good...goodness I hope this doesn't scare off the original poster DoIlookfat for life!

PhotoChick
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I really think this thread borders on the most absolute ridiculous of posting I have ever seen hereSo do I. Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Glad you agree with me.

JayEll
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Members post for all kinds of reasons. Some want help. Some are curious about a topic. Some feel sad and truly are down. Some are freaking out over nothing. Some have just realized they have a body.

Some are bored. Some have been drinking...

Some are probably even trolls just trying to get a reaction. We've seen that before, too.

So... it's a mixed bag!

Anyone who is having issues with a thread or a post can click that little red exclamation point in the lower left corner of a post and send a message to the moderators and admins if they think it's serious enough. I'm sure it's already happened with this one.

And yeah, I still think people need to lighten up.

Jay

junebug41
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Some have been drinking...Jay

I'm really starting to wonder...

junebug41
12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
And if someone DARES to say they feel bad, they're grilled. Why are you offended? What makes you offended? Explain to me what EXACTLY about this thread offends you? Oh that?? You're just being silly and over sensitive. Well, too bad. I'm having fun. You should just lighten up.

That's not the 3FC that I have come to know and appreciate.

:lol:

I'll try not to be so "daring" next time.

EZMONEY
12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
...... Some have been drinking...

I'm really starting to wonder...

HEY! You talkin' to me? ;)

junebug41
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
HEY! You talkin' to me? ;)

Gary, I never wonder about you.:p

srmb60
12-01-2008, 11:55 PM
As someone who is very interested in what makes people tick, I've found some very interesting notions in this thread.

The simple fact that it is seven pages long is interesting. That and how almost every point has an equal and opposite point somewhere in here.

Perception is fascinating.

BillBlueEyes
12-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Slender, healthy people remember where they parked their car.

When slender, healthy people don't remember where they parked their car, they easily find it because they don't spend forever looking for their car when they actually drove the other car.

[ Note to self: Remember to write LOL somewhere when posting with tongue fully in cheek. ]

JayEll
12-02-2008, 06:50 AM
:rofl:

Jay

rockinrobin
12-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Oh my gosh. What's happened here?

I gotta say there are things on this thread which I read that "slender/healthy" people DO and I almost laughed out loud. They were really far fetched to me and didn't seem like too many folks would adhere to them.

Then there are other things which I could relate to.

Now I'm sure some of the things that I practically laughed out loud to were some things that others could totally relate to. At least a few peeps anyway.;)

As far as "newbies" seeing them and thinking "I am a total failure for not doing A,B & C. Come now. We're just sharing our own experiences and that will vary greatly from person to person. I think the "newbies" are pretty safe. No harm will come to them. I think it's pretty clear that this thread is not giving some HARD CORE ABSOLUTE MUSTS for "diet success". It isn't right? ;)

JulieJ08
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Wow. To be perfectly honest, I cannot see how anyone could read these posts (the on topic ones) and think they were rules they had to measure up to, and feel bad about that. I keep trying and I just can't see it. :dizzy:

Happy Tuesday everyone! One weekday down, four to go! Chin up! :carrot: (By which, I do not mean to imply that *everyone* works only on Monday through Friday, or that they should feel bad if the don't. Probably there's an even split between skinny people and fat people as to whether they work a traditional M-F work week. Hmm, traditional will probably be an inflammatory word to some, but wow, it's hard to write without potentially, possibly slighting someone)

rockinrobin
12-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow. To be perfectly honest, I cannot see how anyone could read these posts (the on topic ones) and think they were rules they had to measure up to, and feel bad about that. I keep trying and I just can't see it. :dizzy:

Happy Tuesday everyone! One weekday down, four to go! Chin up! :carrot: (By which, I do not mean to imply that *everyone* works only on Monday through Friday, or that they should feel bad if the don't. Probably there's an even split between skinny people and fat people as to whether they work a traditional M-F work week. Hmm, traditional will probably be an inflammatory word to some, but wow, it's hard to write without potentially, possibly slighting someone)

Very well stated. And a good analogy.

Oh and a very Happy Tuesday to you too. Just think, soon it will be TGIF. Yay for the weekends!!! Unless of course you work on the weekends. Then it might not be so TG. ;)

PhotoChick
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Ok. I guess I'm just going to give up here.

I cannot see how anyone could read these posts (the on topic ones) and think they were rules they had to measure up to, and feel bad about that. I keep trying and I just can't see it.I just can't see how anyone just can't see that it is possible given the types of posts that we see every day on the boards. There are a lot of things posted on these boards that people read and think they are "rules that they have to measure up to". We see it every single day in the postings of people who are struggling.

It's not really that important. I have better things to do, to be honest. I'm just stunned at some of the responses. Instead of "wow I never thought that someone might be hurt or offended or take these the wrong way and what can we do to make sure that doesn't happen" the overwhelming tone has been "I just don't see how it could hurt someone and if it does, then they need to lighten up."

As I've said before ... that type of attitude really really really surprises me coming from 3FC people. That's not the 3FC I know.

Anyway. I'm really done here. :) I'm moving on.

KLK
12-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh my goodness -- I was kidding with the pants thing!! As someone who experiences the ever-fluctuating fit of my pants, I thought it would be funny to mention it. I also posted a page ago or so that it was never meant to be taken seriously. By anyone. At all. I thought it was pretty clear, by mere virtue of HOW SILLY it was, that it wasn't meant seriously, but I'm sorry if anyone was offended... I honestly, completely did not think that would be offensive to anyone.

So officially: I hereby have no idea what kind of relationship people of any kind have with their pants, or shirts, or shoes or any other item of clothing. Every individual human being feels differently about his or her pants, and has different experiences with them and in them and heck, some people don't wear pants at all and I wouldn't want to imply that everyone does, or even wants to wear them.

I apologize.

Healthy slim people don't worry about whether their jeans fit the same on Monday as on Friday. (Newsflash: My best friend who is a perfect size 2 and always has been is *more* worried about how her jeans fit on a day to day basis because she has less "wiggle room" than I do in my size 12s. If she eats too much salt or is bloated from her period or gains the tiniest bit of weight, her jeans are far more uncomfortable for her than mine are for me.)

(Those are just the two most recent comments that have nothing to do with healthy habits or any reasonable expectation of what healthy skinny people do.)

sacha
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM
As a maintainer for 3-4+ years, I can tell you that being slender and healthy is certainly not so easy. Yes, I don't eat dessert and no, I don't equate food with love, BUT my brain still fights with itself everytime. It's a struggle each day. At 118lbs(!), I still have "fat days". Losing the weight was easy. Having to remember WHY I had gotten to that weight in the first place and keeping myself from going there again is much harder.

jessisaokay
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I get that this thread was started in good fun and was meant to be very tongue in cheek. I really do. The reason it annoyed me is because on a day to day basis these generalizations are made about me, and it gets tiring. Yes, I actually DO do most of the things on the list. However, I had to learn them, and its not always easy, and it gets old QUICK when people assume being skinny is easy and that if you just do those things, you too can be skinny. I was once naturally thin, and never worried about a damn thing i put in my mouth. I gained a ton of weight, lost it, and now watch everything i put in my mouth. I also know some overweight people who do a lot of those things, yet can't manage to lose any weight.
So while i get that it was not meant to offend anyone, it did. I don't think it needs to be taken down and I don't think any appologies need to be made, but I also don't think anyone has a right to tell someone that they "shouldn't" feel offended.

If i made a list of "what overweight people do", and included things like "pig out on the couch", "eat mayonaise for breakfast", or "drive to check the mailbox instead of walk", I wonder how many people would be offended. But hey, it was just for "fun".

JulieJ08
12-02-2008, 02:10 PM
If i made a list of "what overweight people do", and included things like "pig out on the couch", "eat mayonaise for breakfast", or "drive to check the mailbox instead of walk", I wonder how many people would be offended. But hey, it was just for "fun".

Don't look, but we have that thread going too, as a matter of fact ;)

mandalinn82
12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Since this thread has ceased to be about the original topic, and is instead being used as a discussion of whether the original topic was appropriate, I'm going to go ahead and close it.