Crockpot/ Slow Cooker - Phase 2 - White bean and Barley Soup!

View Full Version : White bean and Barley Soup!

rdw1
11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
1.5c Great Northern Beans(soaked over night)
1/2c barley
10-15 baby carrots chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
10 button mushrooms chopped in half and thinly sliced
2 veggie boullion cubes
thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic
onion powder(or regular onion, dh hates the texture so I have to use powder)

This soup turned out so good! I cooked the beans first in the crockpot covered with water about 2'' above them... after about 4 hours I added the veggies and herbs. Then about an hour before it was finished I added boullion cubes and barley(I used the quick cook pearled barley).

dh likes corn in this so sometimes we put it in and sometimes we don't :)

Nutrition info- divide by # of servings you get out of it!

670cal/4g fat/37g prot/33gfiber

Xan
11-26-2008, 03:17 PM
This looks wonderful! I've been looking for a white bean soup recipe. Thanks for the exact directions on timings -- I have canned beans now, but I'll try it with dried ones some day :)

raebeaR
02-10-2009, 07:33 PM
rdw1, I made this tonight and it's lovely!! I love barley, but I always forget to cook with it!

I made a couple quick adjustments, and they turned out well. I used chicken stock in place of the vegetable boullion, sauteed the mirepoix in a teaspoon of butter with a little bit of olive oil before adding the stock and used no onion powder. Otherwise, I left it alone -- it was delightful! Thanks muchly!

Rae

rdw1
02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! I made it again today as well... actually I have beenm making many variations almost weekly!
Today I made it with
tomatoes, beans, barley, zuchinni, basil, mushrooms, onions, asparagus and some ranch dressing mix! yum! italian style!

CyndiM
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Loved this recipe! The barley really adds a nice texture to the soup. Yum. I used zucchini, a couple of carrots, diced tomatoes with basil & green pepper