Weight Loss Support - Turkey Trot Results

View Full Version : Turkey Trot Results

EZMONEY
11-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Some of you are starting to come in already....and others of us haven't started yet!

POST RESULTS HERE!

jahjah1223
11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
I completed 3.4 miles in 50 minutes on Tuesday :D

mtiger
11-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay!!! Here's something I never would have done in my past life. I went out ans jog/walked 2 miles in 35 degree weather. I hate the cold, and to go out and exercise in it would have been unheard of. I just "needed" to run. I came home and did another 2 miles with WATP. 4.1 mile total for today. YAY!!!!

EZMONEY
11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
you Gals Are Awesome! :)

Thin4Good
11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm posting again here since I don't follow directions well!

I timed my 5K this morning! - 33 minutes and 42 seconds!! - almost 3 minutes faster than the "official" 5K I ran on October 18!

JulieJ08
11-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Good grief, where is everyone?! I kept waiting for this thread to pop up in my subs or new posts so I could add my results. Finally, I had to looking for it. Chicks up for a Challenge? Nope. Exercise? Nope. Finally I had to go search for threads started by EZMoney!

So! My first full 5K! I'm pretty excited, and I ran the whole thing. :D 38 minutes (for 3 miles - I did travel the whole 5K, just didn't time it past the 3 mile mark). My first mile was about 13:30 (I know it will be shocking, but I don't have a working watch, and had to time myself with my cell phone, and no seconds). The second mile was about 12:30. And the last mile was 12:00. I don't know why I get faster as I go, doesn't seem to make sense (well, ok, the first half of my course being slightly up hill may have something to do with it), but even without timing myself, I've noticed that my last mile I run faster.

Thanks EZ, this challenge was just what I needed!

Writermom46
11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
My time wasn't so good and it wasn't Jet's fault. He dragged me along as best he could. The weather was awful and I don't feel the best. It took us 1 hour and 5 minutes to complete our route. Last time I counted it took us 15 minutes less than that. I'm grateful I felt good enough to be dragged out this morning and that I don't have to cook an entire meal today. I think I'll go back to bed.

JulieJ08
11-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Writermom, the fact is, you are WAAAYYY ahead of MILLIONS of folks who did NOTHING!!!! Way to go. :carrot:

Viatre
11-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I never "registered" but I ran my 5k this morning anyway. I was a treadmill virgin and it too me 49 minutes!

Ija
11-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I ran my very first 5K today, Burlington's Green Mountain Athletic Association Turkey Trot. I came in 423rd out of about 500 runners with a time of 36:45 (and part of it was uphill!!!) Now it's time to eat :)

midwife
11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Woot!! Congrats to all the Turkey Trotters!!

It was cold and rainy here, but I perservered! I ran my 5K today in about 30:30, so slower than I planned, but hey, did I mention it was raining?

Happy Thanksgiving all!

chick_in_the_hat
11-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I didn't sign up (sorry EZ!) - but I ran a 5K this morning - Run to Feed the Hungry (http://www.runtofeedthehungry.com/) - a great cause. It was overcast and cool - perfect weather. This was my first 5k - I came in at 34:19. :woohoo:

Primm
11-27-2008, 03:55 PM
My previous PB was in a "proper" 5k race, and I did 45:00 approx (forgot to turn my watch off at the end!)

So today my aim was to beat 44:00. On my lap around my home, which includes some killer hills.

I was just rounding the last corner when I looked at my watch for the first time, which is very unlike me. I usually watch the clock like a hawk.

So I was up to 39:00. It occurred to me that I could not only smash my PB, but I could register a time that started with a 3! Had my neighbours looked out their windows this morning, they would have seen me sprinting like a mad woman up the hill to my house, to finish in ...

39:53! Woohoo! Thanks Gary, and thanks girls for inspiring me to go out and "just do it".

JoyfulVegGirl
11-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I ran 3.1 miles in 33:35 min :)

Lots of people at the park today running, walking and playing football in the rain. It was kind of cool.

Congrats to all you Turkey Trotters! :D

Haley8203
11-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey all, I finished my first 5k in 45.43 minutes

GatorgalstuckinGA
11-27-2008, 04:36 PM
last minute entry here...did our 5k up the mountain with dh, the mutt, my sister, BIL and there mutt...it was a wonderful day in atlanta.

CyndiM
11-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi EZ! Hope you and the family are enjoying your day.

I completed a 4 mile very brisk walk on a cool but not frigid Vermont day. It was great to get outside!

gggirls
11-27-2008, 08:33 PM
The pups and I did our 5k at the park this morning while the turkey was cooking. They pooped out and had their nap before the turkey once we got home!

Thanks EZ!

fiberlover
11-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Well the race was a bit chilly - this pic is of me ducking inside a building to warm up before we started.
I didn't know there would be 2000 other crazy people running with me!! Biggest race I have ever done!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/javaqueen/turkeytrot.jpg

EZMONEY
11-27-2008, 09:35 PM
:bravo: :cp: :cp: OUTSTANDING! :cp: :cp: :bravo:

I am so :goodvibes proud :goodvibes of all of you! :hug:

Angie and I had a great Turkey Trot...if you don't consider our time ;) which was around 54 minutes.

It was pouring rain here off and on, we debated on taking the dogs or not. We did and we did not get rained on but we went off in a race before the one for locals, which most of our friends run in. We were trying to time the rain because according to the weather report there were two heavy waves coming with a break in between....actually both the big races (5,000 runners total) were pretty much rain free.

We stayed at the back of the race with the other dog walkers, visited with friends as we passed, stopped to let kids pet the girls and went to the car when we got close to drop off our ponchos we didn't need. I wouldn't say that we cruised and walked leisurely but we chose to have fun and not wear our race faces :)

A great way to spend the Thanksgiving morning!

I want to thank you all for joining the race here and doing something good for yourselves. This morning as we were trying to figure out what race to take off for (the course is only 5 miles from us) Angie and I talked about how about 11 years ago not only would I not have entered a race to walk or run 3.1 miles there is no way I would have braved the weather we had this morning to do it.

My point of these 5K's is to give all of us a goal...minor as it is...3.1 miles...to keep shooting for...little things that #1 Keep us from returning to bad choices and #2 Creating new and fun things to do that we may never would have done before

Angie and I left the house at 6:20....walked at least 4 miles with the race and trip to and from the car...had a nice coffee break after the race at a local coffee shop and were back home by 8:45....the football games weren't even on yet!

I hope the choice you all made to do a 5K today was worth it! :)

Nancy7189
11-27-2008, 09:55 PM
38 min 54 seconds. I improved my time!

JulieJ08
11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Yay everybody!!!

Fat Chick B Gone
11-28-2008, 09:36 AM
36:33 here and quite happy with that for my first 5K race Lake Norman Turkey Trot. My only real goal was to jog the whole way without stopping to walk and I accomplished that :) Next time the goal will be of course to lower my time!

Congrats everyone - such awesome healthy choices going on!

EZMONEY
11-28-2008, 09:55 AM
outstanding Ladies!

alinnell
11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Here's another chickie who didn't sign up but ran anyway.

DS, DH and I did the Turkey Trot in Rancho Mirage yesterday. It rained the whole time, but it was fun and beautiful (and the course was a little easier than last year on El Paseo). They didn't have a clock this time, and I didn't have a watch, so I really don't know my time. They took our bib tags and stapled them to cards which makes me think they'll post the times, but as of yet they haven't. But guessing? I'm going to say it took us about 40 minutes. I'm sadly out of shape and couldn't run as much as I hoped (and I'm quite sore this morning).

But the good news? Dh figured out what the problem was with my new treadmill, so I can get on anytime and work out this soreness!

EZMONEY
11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Awesome ALLISON ~ Angie and I didn't get an official time either....we couldn't go down the final chute with the dogs so had to pull out about 50 yards short of the race. Didn't matter to us though.

How come DD and the "kidnapper" didn't join in?

mj5
11-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I did it!!! Wasn't sure if my knee was going to hold up, but it did! I did mine to a watp dvd--it was cold and raining and well, I just didnt' want to go outside! I also didn't feel like driving to the gym, so that's the best I could do inside my house!

I am going to rest tonight and may attempt another tomorrow!

alinnell
11-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Awesome ALLISON ~ Angie and I didn't get an official time either....we couldn't go down the final chute with the dogs so had to pull out about 50 yards short of the race. Didn't matter to us though.

How come DD and the "kidnapper" didn't join in?

DD and the kidnapper had free tickets to go see The Australian Pink Floyd cover band at the Honda Center in Anaheim (where the Ducks play). The tickets were free and they could tell--they were the very highest row. But they said the show was awesome. They spent the night at the kidnapper's parent's house and DD came home for turkey. The kidnapper is coming here sometime soon to spend the weekend as tomorrow is DD's 18th birthday and we're having a huge BBQ for her and her friends.

EZMONEY
11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Great job MJ! I hope the knee still feels good tomorrow!

Allison I have tailgated a time or two in the Honda Center but never for a hockey match....basketball (March Madness) UCLA games last year. Happy Birthday to DD...my knucklehead nephew turned 18 a few weeks ago at NAVY boot camp.

urockmom
11-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

#39 :turkey: here!
Checking in to say that I did the trot this morning. My time was: 33.51 and as a virgin I am happy with that!

:bravo: to all the trotters!!!

iriswhispers
11-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I was too lame to actually go to mine in the pouring rain (and what was up with that, seriously? I live in the desert, it never rains!!) so today I took a brisk walk on the path around the park... i think it's about 3.2 miles so slightly more than a 5k in a little under an hour. now to get back to running.... will there be a run for the cookies holiday 5k?? =)

cakses
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Ok after my failed attempt yesterday to do the 5k I went out today to do it, knowing full well I wouldn't be able to run the entire 3.1 miles due to my hacking cough. I managed to do about 3/4 mi before I had to walk, walked 1/4 of a mile then repeated that until done :) Finished in 38 minutes. Glad I went out to do it despite my sickness!

CyndiM
11-28-2008, 07:40 PM
The weather cooperated and I was able to do another outdoor 5 K today. Being a walker I don't usually list my time but I think it was around 50 minutes. Looks like I'll get out again tomorrow too! :carrot:

EZMONEY
11-28-2008, 08:25 PM
You gals never amaze me anymore!

You just keep on going through cold....wet...coughs...

Do all of you work for the United States Postal System?

mountain mama
11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
i planned on running this 5k for the first time. BUT I have been staying with a friend for te holidays and she's not a runner.. so we walked it.
It was good to have a nice healthy outting with a friend. :) I know her mood is lifted just as much as mine after the walk!
happy turket Trot, all!!

emily:I get fast too! after the first ten minutes.. it's like my body get's over some kind of hump and I have more energy than before! i guess we just need to warm up our engines hahah

EZMONEY
11-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Any way you get it in is better than NOT doing it kiddo...great job!

modcat44
11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
#24 here. Well, I wanted to get under 36 minutes, my PB, but just didn't feel as energetic as usual so finished in 38.40. That was Friday, at the gym on tm btw....

On Thursday, outside with the dogs, did 3.1 miles in about 50-55 minutes--took one at a time and kept stopping back by the house to drop one off and pick up another one. So much easier that way when you have three different ages/energy levels....

We all did awesome b/c we did SOMETHING besides cook and eat and sit watching football the whole time (what I used to do before this year!!)

ronni62
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Everyone did so awesome in their 5K's! Congrats to you all! I didn't do as well-twisted my ankle and only walked about 2K. I don't have a time for what I did as I was following six 12- and 13-year old boys at the Mall of America at the time:lol:

But, I still feel very good about what I was able to do, as this time last year, I would not have been able to make 1/2K due to all the pain I was having. I was able to keep up with those kids the whole time, but then blew it when we got home:( (I was going to finish on the treadmill). After the ankle feels better, I'll be back in training for the next one!

Thanks, EZ and everyone else for the inspiration to attempt this:D

EZMONEY
11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I love the "dogs" relay MOD!!

Ronni.....next time you will be ready for the 3.1!

nods
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I did my 5K on the road course a day after the official 5K (on the morning of Black Friday.) According to my watch I did it in 41 minutes! YEAH!!!! I love the turkey trot!

GOBBLE GOBBLE!!!!!

Congrats to all the 2008 Turkey Trotters!

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Great job NODS! I hope it was a great time for you.

Tomato
11-30-2008, 05:26 PM
# 13 reporting:

Thursday: 45 minutes of Zumba, 1 hour weight lifting
Friday: 5 km on treadmill (combined hill climb and running)
Saturday: 45 minutes of Zumba, 1 hour of dance at office Christmas party
Sunday: 1/2 core class; 50 minutes of weight lifting

To come early Monday morning(before work): shoveling of 20 cm of snow

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Cool FRIEDGREEN

nods
11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
# 13 reporting:

Thursday: 45 minutes of Zumba, 1 hour weight lifting
Friday: 5 km on treadmill (combined hill climb and running)
Saturday: 45 minutes of Zumba, 1 hour of dance at office Christmas party
Sunday: 1/2 core class; 50 minutes of weight lifting

To come early Monday morning(before work): shoveling of 20 cm of snow

WOW! Way to...WORK...IT...OUT!!!!:carrot:

All except the snow part...please don't say the s-word! LOL!:p

IrishRose25
11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
During the past few months, I have walked/ran a few 5Ks, but on Thanksgiving morning, I ran a full 5K for the first time! I was so proud of myself-- I called my mom crying and she thought something was wrong! :)

My time was 35:07. Woo hoo!

EZMONEY
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
WELCOME! IrishROSE!!!!

nods
11-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Great job NODS! I hope it was a great time for you.

I was happy with it...but out of curiosity...has anyone else found a major learning curve going from the treadmill to the street? So yeah, I'm guilty of never upping the incline on the treadmill and I do 3.1 m in 35-36 minutes. Since I was visiting family and had no gym to go to, I got the local Turkey Trot route on line and ran it. OMG...did you know there are HILLS out there? And they make your calves and butt BURN?? Plus when you run on the street...the ground doesn't move for you! LOL!

So I posted my time before I went to the gym today. I did 3.1 miles on the treadmill and didn't even feel tired. I even upped the speed to close to a 10 min mile!

So, I think I'm going to mix in some street running every now and again to keep myself honest! LOL

Tomato
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Congrats, IrishRose! Well done, you!

CyndiM
11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Well I did it - at least 5K all 4 days! Yesterday was 5.5 miles and another 5K today. Thanks EZ for boosting my motivation! How did you know I would need that little extra zing right about now?!

MonteCristo
12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I didn't run this 5K, I walked it instead.

Thursday - 6 miles, 120 mins
Friday - 6 miles, 120 mins
Saturday - 6 miles, 120 mins

I actual lost weight over Thanksgiving, and I'm sure it is due to these Trots!

sportmom
12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Turkey Trot Done! My FIRST 5K ever - in my life - at midlife!!! 48.29

I walked quickly mostly at 3.8 range, did 3 sprints, one at 4.5 for 3 mins, then 5.0 for 2 mins (too much bounce going on tho), and then again at 4.5 for FOUR minutes - my longest! Ended strong with a duck walk at 4.0 to get it done under 49 - my goal. Next time will be 45:00 even.

oops, before I say that, when IS the next time?!? lol :o

Anyway, it felt great and I still FEEL great! Here are some photos to prove it.

Thanks EZ for putting this challenge together!! :hug:

1. The midway point - not quite sure this is going to work out...........
2. The results
3. Thumbs up - I DID IT!!

dixied
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
nods - yes there is a huge disadvantage going from the treadmill to pavement, and from flat ground (when I go to the track instead) to the hills.

There's also a huge difference in the weather between Florida and West Virginia. BTW. It was 72 degrees here on Thanksgiving, but I was up in my hometown freezing my tuckus off at 21 degrees. I got to the course early to register, then walked 2 miles to warm up. I was afraid to stop walking because I'd become a popcicle. That kid from the Christmas story who is all bundled up...that's what I looked like. 3 layers. And the turnout was huge, 1800 people plus dogs and strollers on a course which is one car width wide in some spots. The first 1/2 mile was slow becuase you're trying to fight for a spot with the dogs and strollers, but after that we spaced out somewhat.

I couldn't run the entire way, the difference in the temps and lack of humidity was killing my throat and sinuses (still is), so I took 2 or 3 small walking breaks. However, I'm thrilled with my time...40:53. That's 1:51 better than last year, and a new personal best.

Can't wait for the next one. But it will be run in Florida!!!!

Gela
12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I walked (it almost rained on my) to my Mom's on Turkey day. It took about 45 minutes.

jenguin
12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Wed - ~2 mile walk with my sister and the dog
Thurs - had plans to walk 5K but ended up getting sick :-(
Sat - 30 Day Shred
Sun - walked the shopping mall with future sil
Mon - 5 mile run

mountain mama
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Seems like everyone DEFINITLY rocked this 5K!

although I walked my 5k with a friend on Thanksgiving weekend. I jogged it today. After a two week non-running hiatus. I managed to complete it in 38:02 minutes.
:)

Not bad for not jogging for a few weeks i guess!

BlueToBlue
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm dealing with a bunch of injuries, so I was a little worried I wasn't going to be able to get mine in, but I managed to do two of 'em.

Swimming :swim:
Did this one in two installments: 3,000 yards on Thanksgiving and another 3,000 yards on Saturday. All in all, that's 6,000 yards = 3.4 miles = 5.5 km! I'm slow, so it took about 155 minutes. Yowza! That's a pace of about 1.3 miles per hour! Good thing I'm not actually trying to get anywhere!

Running and Birdwatching :running:
Faster than swimming, but still not my best pace. Problems with my left hip, right knee, and a side stitch (I'm a mess these days). Luckily the damage doesn't seem permanent. Here are the stats:
Distance: 3.53 miles (5.7 km)
Time: 29 min, 11 seconds
Speed: 7.26 mph
Pace: 8:16 minutes per mile
Weather: Beautiful--the sun was shining, the air was crisp, little or no wind.
Birds: A banner day for birdwatching. First off, I saw a male Common Merganser (http://share3.esd105.wednet.edu/rsandelin/Fieldguide/Animalpages/Birds/Ducks/Freshwaterducks.htm#Common_Merganser_), which is my first identification of this bird! I also saw two pelicans, 3 egrets, 2 Lesser Goldfinches, a few California Towhees, a whole mess of gulls (must have been at least 50), some Canadian geese, and a shorebird that I wasn't able to identify with the sun in my eyes while bouncing up and down from running.

EZMONEY
12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I AM SO PROUD OF ALL OF YOU!

I am limited on time tonight but I will return and we will do another 5K soon...

think New Year!

alwe74
12-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Sorry! I wasn't able to do the 5k this time. I ended up having strep throat so I was home in bed all weekend! (No turkey or anything). Congratulations to everyone who completed.

modcat44
12-02-2008, 01:48 AM
nods--Yes I commented on this phenomenon somewhere else, gosh it is so much HARDER outside with pavement, curbs, elevations, etc.!! I now try to do at least one day of running outside every week now, shooting for 2 but at least one. I need to mix it up!

bluetoblue--awesome pushing through to complete the challenge even with injuries! And that's one nice-lookin' duck!

sportmom--WTG! That was about my time for my first one, on Labor day week-end, but mine was just on the tm at the gym! I was still very proud I pushed on through to get that time when I am soooo not a runner!

dixied--FL in the winter, ok. FL in the summer, OMG! More power to you if you can do that!!!

Monte--Awesome!! You LOST weight over the holiday? :cp:

CyndiM--Every Day?? You are my hero!.......

Everyone else......CONGRATS!!! We all ROCK!

sportmom
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
we will do another 5K soon...

think New Year!

I'm SO there!!

Jeannette311
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I'll be doing mine tomorrow. I spent the better part of the past two weeks sick. So...I'll post my times after I'm done!

bjeweled
12-04-2008, 03:27 AM
i trotted!

i took my mom with me shopping and made sure we walked the mall the correct number of times to complete 3.1 miles. it took forever with shopping in between but i trotted nonetheless. by new years maybe i can jog it. we'll see

retiredone
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm a dead loss. I only got half of my 5k done on last Thursday and I didn't get anything done again until this Tuesday. I did complete a 5k on Tuesday so I guess better late than never...

Too much on my mind lately. All good stuff but too much. I guess I'll catch the next 5k in the New Year. Hopefully some of my life's good issues will be over and I can concentrate on things better. (Christmas, grandbaby coming and DS#2 getting married)

nods
12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
OOOOH I can't wait for the 5K on New Year's. There is one in Prospect Park in Brooklyn that is 3.3 miles around that park that ends with fireworks and champagne at midnight!

Diva
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Sadly I was a lazy little heffer over the Thanksgiving Holiday and even though I kept telling myself I needed to go get my Turkey Trot done, there I sat watching Christmas movies and eating sweets. *Sigh* So I guess better late than never??? I did a 5k yesterday and today! I'm getting faster too! :)

Sorry for being so lame.

Jeannette311
12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I got up at 5 am and was done a little over 53 minutes later!

mountain mama
12-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Yay guys! you all rock!

My question is.. when's the next one? hehee

EZMONEY
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

3FC 5K GALS ARE AWESOME!

FAUTINI ~ New Years...I will get it going this week-end.

J-311 ~Way to "finally" get it in! Glad you are feeling better!

DIVA ~ None of my 5K gals are lame!....maybe a bit "lay-z" from time to time...but never...NEVER...LAME!!!

NODS ~Can we come to your race? ;)

ISABELLA ~ COOL STUFF!! :cool:

BJEWELED ~Super getting mom involved!

nods
12-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Ok. I just have to add that I did 3.1 miles today (on a treadmill) and got it done in 29:48, which is the first time I got one done under a 10 min/mile pace!

That is a major NSV for me!

JulieJ08
12-04-2008, 09:40 PM
My question is.. when's the next one? hehee

Yeah, now that I've got one under my belt, I wanna do more and see my times improve!

mountain mama
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok. I just have to add that I did 3.1 miles today (on a treadmill) and got it done in 29:48, which is the first time I got one done under a 10 min/mile pace!

That is a major NSV for me!

You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay EZ! I'm excited for the next one :)

EZMONEY
12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay EZ! I'm excited for the next one :)

WE WILL BE DOING ONE TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR...DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR #'S...GET YOUR PRACTICE MILES IN GALS!!! ;)

JulieJ08
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
WE WILL BE DOING ONE TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR...DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR #'S...GET YOUR PRACTICE MILES IN GALS!!! ;)

Yay!