Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Thanksgiving 1895

View Full Version : Thanksgiving 1895

ANOther
11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
The New York Times links to this 1895 article listing the menus of what apparently were typical Thanksgiving dinners back then. Check'em out! Begged question: how big were the portions? One menu lists codfish, lamb chops, curried chicken, and don't even ask me what "punce en surprise" might be, and ONLY THEN comes the turkey! (CAUTION: this is a *.pdf in case anybody has problems downloading or opening them)

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9C07E0DE1E3DE433A25754C2A9679D94649ED7CF

PhotoChick
11-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh gosh ... you should look at the dinner menus of the upper class 18th century family. They're amazing. A "meal" properly consisted of 2 courses + dessert.

Each "course" = anywhere from 5 - 20 separate dishes all brought out at the same time.

Even if you were poor, on holidays you did your best to provide a formal meal for your family with as many "removes" (i.e. separate plates) as you could.

(Social historian by education, here - see, I knew my degree in history would come in useful at some point! :) ).