Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Birthday Cake

My birthday celebrations are coming up....
normally i have a indoor bbq with burgers, chips, hotdogs, onion rings, garlic bread....
this year i have requested that we go out for a meal....
purely so its easier for me to control what i eat (it will be a jacket potato)....

i have even decided to make a cake....
rather than having my mother buy one full of crap from a shop....
so i *know* that i will be able to enjoy a piece with the family and not feel too bad for doing so....
does anyone know any extremely lowfat and good for you cake recipes?....

whats more is i am *hoping* to be completely at goal by the day of my birthday....
6th December....
that makes 2.8lbs in 11 days....
is this achievable?....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

try hungry-girl.com and search the recipes. she has some awesome stuff.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

or on second thought just enjoy a slice of cake! On my birthday this year i didnt have any, i made some type of healthy desert and it was ok. But looking back, why didn't i just treat myself to a slice? It was my birthday, i love cake, and i can have healthy treats any day of the week.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Totally achievable! It's even achievable if you have a "normal" cake for your birthday. This past week, I lost 3 lbs. It was my husbands birthday & twice I had a piece of his cake, a small piece granted, but enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and enough so that I didn't feel totally left out when everyone was chowing down on yummy cake! You have to allow yourself to eat food that isn't necessarily good for you sometimes. You deserve a piece of cake for your birthday, you have worked hard & lost a lot of weight. Go for the normal cake, you deserve it, you've worked hard.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #5  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

If you are looking for a cake that's a bit healthier, try this one
Low Fat Chocolate Torte
http://community.livejournal.com/bak...18.html#cutid1
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #6  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

On my birthday I made a modified cheesecake. Pie will never be truly healthy or low-fat though. Without the sugar and fat it is just not pie, or it tastes awful. I think you should not worry about it too much. My estimate is that a small slice of this pie is about 300 calories, which you should be able to fit in for a day. On your birthday, you should have fun and not count too many calories!

Elwing's pineapple-lychee cheesecake.

500 ml soft-curd cheese (I used full fat because I wasn't sure about the hardening qualities of the low-fat version)
Packet of ricotta cheese
2 dl of milk
120 gr of butter
120 gr biscuits (I used whole-wheat biscuits but I don't think it really matters)
10 leafs of gelatin
2 tablespoons of cane sugar.

Filling: (I suppose you could use other fruits )
2 lemons
1 tin of pineapple pieces
2 tins of lychees

The base: melt the butter, crush the cookies, combine, stir in 1 tablespoon of cane sugar. Put in pie tin, make flat with spoon. Put in fridge (or even freezer) for at least 10 minutes.

In the meantime, soften the gelatin in water. Stir the remaining sugar into the ricotta.

Heat the milk in a pan, to the point just below boiling. Dissolve the gelatin in it. Let it cool a bit and add the ricotta and soft-curd cheese.

Stir in the lemon juice. You should take care; it will make the mixture a bit more liquid because the acids can possibly make the milk products curdle. Add little amounts at a time and stir to avoid this. If it becomes too thin for your taste, don't add any more lemon juice.

Remove the juice from both tins of lychees. You cut one tin in little pieces; puree the other one with a kitchen aid. Add the lychees to the cheesecake mixture. Taste the mixture. Add more sugar or lemon juice to taste.

Pour the mixture on top of the base. Let harden in the fridge for a few hours. Decorate with the pineapple. (I put the pineapple on top of it all because it does odd things to milk too, so I didn't dare to put it in the mixture itself. This is also why I used tinned pineapple.)

Enjoy
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I would say go for a normal cake because it's your birthday but I've had good sucess with the diet coke cakes.

Take one box chocolate cake mix and add one can of diet coke. Nothing else. Bake like normal cake. If you want low fat frosting you could top it with cool whip and then put it in the fridge for a few hours.

You can also do variations of other tyeps of caek mix and other types of diet soda. So yellow cake and diet sprint, chocolate and diet cherry coke, yellow and diet orange (but the color will be orange.)
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #8  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I say go for real cake. You weigh 114 lbs for crying out loud! A piece of real cake is in order for all your heard work and success. And it tastes better!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #9  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Personally, I think you should enjoy the cake.
I'm having a birthday get-to-gether on the 5th (even though it's on the 11th) and I'm planning on making my own cake as well but mostly because bakery cakes can be too rich for me and I'd like to make the cake just the way I want it. I'm using regular cake mix with some low-fat variation on the frosting and filling since that's where the bulk of the calories can be.
I'm making the rest of the food healthier with a few splurge items but when it comes down to the cake.. I'm not going to compromise too much =P

Last edited by Starrynight; 11-25-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #10  
Little Miss Random

see if i ate a slice of normal birthday cake it wud make me feel sick cos its too sweet....
i had a hot chocolate the other nite and that wa too sickily for me....
i have worked hard, i am pleased with my achievements....
but i am going to make a cake so its the healthier option....
and i know wot goes into it....
it will be a sponge....
jam in the middle and no frosting....
Old 11-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #11  
Little Miss Random

can u put sweetner into cake rrather than sugar?....
Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

You can use sweetner instead of sugar in a cake but read the side of the container first. It should tell you how much to use or have a conversion on there (like where you would use 4oz sugar, use ??oz sweetner) as it weighs a lot less than sugar and will make the cake taste awful if you use too much.
Anti222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #13  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Ahh, if you're worried about it being too sickeningly sweet, go for something lighter. Make an Angel Food Cake. Lower in calories, and really yummy.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Low Calorie Recipe

Ingredients:
7/8 cup flour
3 to 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar OR 1 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon chocolate extract (Tip: Increase to 2 teaspoons if using Splenda)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 cup egg whites (about 11 eggs), room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chill a large mixing bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Sift the flour, cocoa, 1/4 cup sugar or Splenda and the baking powder together. Set aside.

Add egg whites to the chilled mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until slightly thickened. Add the salt, chocolate extract and cream or tartar. Beat for 2 additional minutes. Slowly add the remaining sugar and continue to beat for 2-3 minutes, or until the egg whites are thick with small peaks that fold over. Fold flour a little at a time into egg white mixture. Use a whisk, not an electric mixer. Be sure to preserve the airy volume of this recipe low calorie dessert. Pour the batter carefully into a dry, clean angel food pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top of the cake feels dry.

Remove from oven and turn pan upside down over an inverted funnel. Let cake rest upside down for 1-1/2 hours. Turn right side up, cut around the inside of the pan and remove the bottom of the pan. Serve your recipe low calorie dessert as is, or with a light whipped topping and fresh berries.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

This isn't what you have asked for but my birthday was recently. I ADORE gorgeous, OTT birthday cakes for ME! My hubby got me one this year and I took a nice sized piece of my very favorite part of the cake and gave the rest to another family! It was delicious.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #15  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I like Angel Food Cake with cut up berries and some light whipped topping
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote