PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see bar/150

Height: 5"6

Default Testoterone and weight lifting

So, I've heard that women don't have the testosterone in their bodies that allows them to bulk from weight lifting like men do. However, one of the symptoms of PCOS is a higher than normal testosterone. I have that symptom, and I was wondering if anyone knew if that meant I'd grow big muscles.
mistypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've never heard of this being a problem with women with PCOS. Most of us still don't have the same testosterone as a man (if you did, you'd have facial hair and already bulky muscles).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #3  

but... i do have facial hair... beard, sideburns, mustache... I shave it all... daily. Back and belly hair too.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

From my personal experience, you'll have an easier time gaining muscle mass than others. I still didn't gain incredible amounts, though...just gained faster than the average woman would have otherwise. I never got to "big" - and if you notice it happening, you can always cut back on your workouts and you'll be just fine.

You won't turn into the Incredible Hulk overnight.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Amanda- just try it, and if you see yourself getting bigger than you want, just stop your routine. And no need for the sad face about facial hair, anyone who has had experience with PCOS could never hold it against you. The good news is, my doctor says that with weight loss, the issues with PCOS often become lessened in many of us.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #6  

I sure hope so, because laser removal is defiantly not a solution for me. My hair is all blonde and red, so even if I could afford the multiple sessions it doesn't work so well.

Yeah, I know no one blames me, and I guess i'm also lucky because while the blonde hair means laser removal won't work well - it also means it's not as noticeable.

But yeah, I was just looking into a thread where they were saying why women don't get super bulky muscles, and I was like "but.. i do has higher than normal teststerone..." so I wondered if anyone here with simelar symptoms could shed any light on it.

anyas, gtg make dinner... XD

Last edited by mistypaw; 11-24-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Even men do not bulk up very easily. You would have to workout a LOT for an extended period of time with very heavy weights to truly get bulky. Weight training is only going to make you stronger & make you look slimmer & more defined. I personally found it to be the most positive change I made.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #8  

Default gaining muscle

I have elevated levels of testostrone. without being to a gym in a year my arms and legs are muscle. i just don't strenghth ttrain i stick to cardio excersize because women are supposed to be long n lean not buff lol
sickofpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #9  
Live from hobbitsville

S/C/G: 125.6/102.4/80 (kg)

Height: 163cm 5"6

I've found that i seem to put on muscle mass alittle bit quicker then other woman i see doing similar workouts at the gym, but that can be a good thing since the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. But either way you would have to do intense spot training to get the kind of muscular build your afraid of getting.
Ironically i had one of the chickies at my gym tell me i was lucky for having excess testosterone, it'd make her job easier...She's a female bodybuilder
azera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #10  
~jus' being me~

Oooh I never thought of the extra testosterone being an added benefit to PCOS!!! I likey
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #11  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I have big calf muscles for a girl. When I was thinner (back in my teens) I was embarrassed of them, but looking back they looked nice. now they do look too bulky, and I don't get the comments that I used to about how others wished they had my calves anymore. I think that's a combination of extra fat on my calves and having carried around so much extra weight. My husband and I joke that I have more manly calves than him.

That being said...when I work out, I don't bulk up. My calves are the only place where I notice a difference due to the testosterone. I think everybody's different and you owe it to yourself to TRY strength training, especially since PCOS studies show such benefits to strength training.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I put on muscle quicker and I'm also stronger than most other women with my frame. Since I'm losing fat and gaining muscle so quickly I am seeing AWESOME results! It's a blessing. Burn the fat, feed the muscle!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #13  

You should still only bulk up if you are eating too much.

I actually like the extra testosterone when it comes to my workouts. I can gain muscle and get that ripped cut look 10 times faster than the average woman.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote