LA Weight Loss - Canadian LA sites - are they closing too?

Terry123
11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I was browsing thru the web, and on the ivillage site for LAWL, there is a post by someone in Ontario whose LAWL center is closing without much notice, and she's out a whole bunch of the bars she prepaid for. Was told to deal with LA To Go. I know a lot of the centers in the US are closing, but I had not heard of any in Canada. Does anyone know the scoop on this?
thanks!

Sige
11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Wow...this is the first I have heard about LAWLs in Canada closing...I am interested in any info on this too...

Terry123
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I asked the counsellor at the center tonight about Canadian centers closing. She said they have been getting lots of queries, and most people are finding it out on the internet. It sounded like they had been given the "correct" answer to tell clients. She said it is the Canadian centers that were owned by corporate headquarters are closing. Most of the corporate centers are in the TO area she said. The centers that are a franchise operation are not closing.

Terry

Mardon
11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
I know a lot of the centers in the US are closing, but I had not heard of any in Canada. Does anyone know the scoop on this?
thanks!

A friend called last night to tell me that the LA Centre here in Newfoundland was closing. I immediately went to the Centre and the staff confirmed this is true. They said that they were told last night (Nov 24th) around 4:30pm NST that they will be closing on December 5th. I bought a big supply of LA Lites and other people were doing the same. I'm not sure how long their supply will last.

I was also given a sheet suggesting that "LA On-the-Go" would be an online replacement program. The sheet contains two email addresses; to sign up for LA On-the-Go: "laonthego (at) lawlmaritimes (ca)" and for questions about refunds: customerservice (at) lawlmaritimes (ca) --- Sorry, this system won't allow me to post the address correctly. --- I guess maybe that lawlmaritimes address is only for eastern Canada but they didn't say that. The staff seemed as much in the dark about the reason for this as I am. I asked if the U.S. lawsuits had anything to do with the Canadian closings but the staff were not aware of the situation regarding the company in the U.S. The only thing the sheet I was given says is, ".. for reasons beyond our control, and as direct result of the current global economic crisis, we can no longer operate this centre.

Sige
11-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Wow...I spoke too soon...this was on our local news website...

L.A. Weight Loss closing Atlantic Canadian franchises
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 | 1:50 PM NT Comments5Recommend10
CBC News

A chain of weight loss franchises in Atlantic Canada is closing its doors, with one owner citing the worsening economic crisis.

Nine L.A. Weight Loss franchises in Atlantic Canada are closing their doors.

A St. John's franchise will lock its doors on Dec. 5, putting about 40 people out of work.

Franchise owner David Shneer told CBC News Tuesday that things have been tough for a while, but the ongoing global economic crisis has made it impossible to stay in business.

He added that many consumers do not think weight loss is a necessity when times are tough.

Clients who enrolled for longer-range programs can obtain refunds, he said.

Pennsylvania-based L.A. Weight Loss has seen other franchises close over the past month, including operations in Oregon, Montana and Wisconsin.

Terry123
11-25-2008, 01:49 PM
so much for the Center telling me last night it does not affect any franchises!!!!

NaomiZ
11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
SIGE!!!! hey I know you ;) yes I read the same article that Atlantic franchise centers are closing.

Ruthxxx
11-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not an LA chick but will post the email addies for you.
- to sign up for LA On-the-Go: laonthego@lawlmaritimes.ca
- for questions about refunds: customerservice@lawlmaritimes.ca

Us Canuks need to stick together. Good luck!

nettie134
11-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Charlottetown PEI center closing dec 5th..I am scared I hope I can still accomplish what i started....

Sige
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
NiamoZ...You know me??? Like, really really know me?? Cool!

3peanuts
11-25-2008, 06:03 PM
All the La weight Loss Centers in Ontario are also closing.

I'm so glad I ran into a manager yesterday and she told me I had 1/2 of my bulk and 26 weeks on hold at my location.

When I went in to the store I managed to get my bars and I have to fight a bit over the weeks but they did offer the La to Go thing.

ETA: All the Ontario Stores Were/are Franchises

Sige
11-25-2008, 06:45 PM
SIGE!!!! hey I know you ;) yes I read the same article that Atlantic franchise centers are closing.

I just looked at your profile...OMG!!!! I know you too!!!! LOLOLOL

NaomiZ
11-25-2008, 06:51 PM
LOL kewl, small internet world!

angelbretsmom
11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
th center here in Fredericton is closing Dec 5th, we were told all across Canada all the centers are closing Dec 5th not good

HockeyChick21
11-26-2008, 03:39 PM
So has anybody tried to get a refund yet. We just started in September so im hoping to get some money back, also pre bought 40 boxes of bars and only got to use 14 of them so im hoping i can get some money back from that since our store in chtown has nothing left at all. I wonder how hard of a process it is going to be to actually get refunded

aleogta
11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
All 21 Toronto, ON centres are closing as of next week! Also 9 Maritime centres are also closing next week! From what I heard, LAWL Franchise corporation will be going bankrupt as of 2009. The HO have let go 85% of their staff. For those of you who have centres that are open keep an eye out for cut back hours (will go down to being only open Mon, Wed and Fri) - Watch for a lack of product on the shelves - Watch for only 1 staff member working at a time - Watch for the centre not selling long-term meberships. In the GTA it went from 1 yr pgms to 6 mth pgms to 12 wk pgms and then down to 4 wks pgms and BOOM the GTA market will be gone soon.

It is not the centre level staff's fault if they tell you that they are not closing and then a week later tell you that they are. The centre level staff have just as much notice as the clients do. It is only the Area Supervisors and Regional Directors that actually know what is going on. So please be kind when they tell you they are shutting down.

Sige
11-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Well this just sucks. Good thing I'm almost at goal.

jesskahle
11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Geez, we have paid till July of 2009!

nettie134
11-27-2008, 08:39 PM
this is the email I got from them after I asked about refund...

We are now in the process of getting all the client files from the Centre. As the Centre is closing on Dec. 5, we anticipate receiving the files by no later than Dec. 15. Upon receipt of the files we can then look into your request and establish, what amount, if anything, is owing. In the interim, we ask you to please be patient as we do our best to attend to these issues as quickly as possible.

We thank you for your understanding while we go through this process.

Yours truly,

Customer Service

alantra
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Well I guess this makes up my mind to join or not seeing I am in Ontario.

I wonder if I could buy a cookbook from one of the centres seeing the are closing now

alantra
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
i just called a centre in Mississauga and they are closing as of Friday. She said cookbooks are currently 50% off so I am going to get one. Seeing as I have never been in a centre before, do they sell other things there that I should look at pickign up?

gisele
12-06-2008, 09:09 AM
We were told in Moncton after they closed on the 5th of Dec to go on their site and we could register and get our money back or our paid la lite bars. But this link is not what I was expecting. instead I get 3 fat chicks on a diet site. I don't know what to do. I joined for 1 year and paid up my la lite bars in bulk - paid up until end of December. I have 12 boxes credit left and I don't know if I'll ever get them. Does anyone have any answers. thanks

gisele
12-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Is this the site where we ask for our refund?

nettie134
12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
the email address you are looking for is....customerservice@lawlmaritimes.ca

Suzanne 3FC
12-10-2008, 03:15 PM
We're getting lots of email asking for refunds, and the email frequently reference this thread.

Please, if you have stumbled upon this thread via Google and are looking for help, please do not ask us for a refund. We are not related to LAWL and cannot help you. We ask that you read some of the suggestions above, including the email address in the post above mine, and not to ask 3FC for a refund.

mugwhumps
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I went to my COD today, everything is 50% off (ottawa south, on alta vista).
The counsellors there said it was a surprise to have this sale, even to the manager of the store - corporate sends the emails, they post the sale.

So, the "while supplies last" line on the sale flyer got my worried, picked up the rest of my bars (also as advised by the lovely ladies at the centre) and will keep going back for check-ins until they close... which they presume is not too far in the future.

Sad thing is, the people working these stores know NOTHING about the business life - and think they will only find out the night before that they need not bother to show up the next day...:?:

The company seems to be going down fast... get in and get your snacks!! (and leave some cheese curls for me!!!)

EDIT: they are also not accepting year long memberships (only 4 weeks at a time), no new clients, cut back hours....

jesskahle
12-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh Dear! We are in Ottawa West.

I haven't seen anything like what you have, but I haven't been in a week since its been so busy at home.

mugwhumps
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
ottawa south was selling at 75% off on friday... "while supplies last" and gave me a number to call before I go in next time. these ladies are great... it's so sad that they know nothing of their job futures this far into the holiday season.
there were only a few boxes of shakes, maybe 20 boxes of LA lite boxes collectively left on the shelf and some cookbooks... a few people came in to clean our their LA lite supply instead of *hoping* for a refund...

Macomom
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi there-
How was it confirmed that all the Ottawa sites will be closing? I am in Ottawa and have not heard of this yet. I have seen all the product go on 50% off, but I was told this is to make room for the new stock- the next year's supply.
Is this a big fat lie?

jesskahle
12-21-2008, 03:01 PM
From what I have read its a who knows situation! In the states, and recently in TO no one knew about the closing till days before... so it could be that the staff don't even know.

What centre are you in? Im at Richmond Rd..

Macomom
12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
I am using Richmond Rd too...
I am supposed to stop in tomorrow. Let me know if you hear anything.

Macomom
12-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Update, I stopped by my center this morning and everything is 75% off. I inquired about the site closures, and the staff simply don't have anymore information. I think it is really disrespectful of LA to leave their employees in the dark like this. It is just before Christmas and these people have no idea if they have a job or not...

jesskahle
12-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Seems as though all the ones in ottawa are 75% off, the one on merivale has big signs

mugwhumps
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
some center employees are totally oblivious to the obvious ending... whether now or later. the ones at my site put 2 and 2 together... as did I when they stopped signing up long term plans, selling off their stock (and no, not just to make new room - everything I took home from them expires at least sept 09), and reducing hours.
it was never official - nor has it been until the very last minute it seems. remember LA is a franchise company.

mikkim
12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
I went to my centre this morning to weigh in....and and they were closed. Closed for good. Garbage bags over the windows, no one answering their phone. CLOSED.

When someone finally answered I said "how will I get my money back?" She said, they'll take care of it! And that was it. She hung up on me.

Now what????

mugwhumps
12-29-2008, 06:21 PM
all ottawa centres now closed. note on the door that the LA franchise is done - therefore no more products or whatnot so they have to close.

what's the number to get a refund? thank god I got my bars... will they refund the time you had left?

mikkim
12-30-2008, 03:25 PM
they have an 1877 number on the website but no one ever answers and the mailbox is full....pretty useless.

Worst idea ever.

jewljz
12-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Here is some info that I got from my counselor at LA on the go:

they can call us (336) 545-3225 and get activated. If they only want a refund call the customer service # 1-877-524-3571.

Hope this helps!

mikkim
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I just called the 336 # and the woman took my info and said I can request a refund through her!!!

Thanks so much!!!

Did anyone have any bad/good luck with getting a refund when their location closed??

(weighed myself this morning....down 2lbs!!)

jesskahle
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks!! I just called, the 336 number. They said they are still waiting on the files from Canada, but that they have my number and will call!

I am going to call every two weeks though... I have kind of lost trust!

mugwhumps
01-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I went to the canadian LAWL website on the 29th when all the Ottawa LA CODs closed. I called the 800 number... and got another COD... in Calgary! I asked about refunds and she was confused and asking if I went to their centre... then realized it was the wrong number. Anyway, she said that it was just the franchise owners who were going under and their centre was open and would not be affected since they're 'going strong'. And the sign on my CODs door said the entire company was ceasing operation therefore they would no longer get ANY LA products in so the program would have to end.... the lack of communication for this is horrendous!

Jenniferk2008
01-03-2009, 04:10 PM
mugwhumps,

They way they are closing them down is horrendous, and the information that is out there is all so confusing. The Calgary centers are also Franchise owned (Canadian owned) and are not being taken over like many of the US centers have been over the last year. As I'm sure most of us know, LA Corporate is slowly closing all the LATO (corp owned stores) city by city in the states, and will be shutting down operations soon. When that happens, even the independently owned franchised centers will be S.O.L., as LA Weight Loss Corporate supplies ALL centers with product, so with no way to supply the customers, even independent centers will be pretty much done for. The ironic thing is that the product is made and manufactured in Canada to begin with (Ontario). I found a way to get the same product (different brand name) to stick to my plan, as I totally gave up on ever getting a refund or my bulked product after my center closed. Hope you have better success - with it being an independent owner there, if he's a good person he will try and help who he can, but remember - thing like this happen because they run out of money - and with no money, no product, no refunds!

Good Luck, and remember, stick to you plan, center open or not!

Jenn, form AZ :)

rae122
01-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I was about to go to my COD, luckily I decided to watch the news before I left. I was shocked to hear the news anchor say that all the locations in Ottawa had closed. I tried calling the 1-800 number from the website and only get a message that the mailbox is full, the "contact us" section doesn't seem to help either, I have sent an email and have yet to hear anything. I would love to know if anyone does manage to get a refund through the 366# is possible. Hopefully all is not lost, I paid up until July/09.

rhudson
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
The centre in Barrie, Ontario just closed with no notice as well. Has anyone managed to get any money refunded? I only started in Sept :(

Jenniferk2008
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Rudson - So sorry to hear your story. I was never able to get a refund from my Arizona store, but I was able to get about half of my bulk before I gave up in frustration, so hopefully you have better luck. It's so wrong that they sign people up pre-paid on long term plans knowing the troubles they were having. At the very least, to at least try and stay in business, they should have done what mugwhumps centers did and move to a pay-as-you go method so at least people are not losing out if/when the end comes.

Good luck - Jenn

RainyLakeGirl
01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey RHudson! I am also a client of the Barrie centre and was shocked when I arrived to weigh in this a.m. Do you know when they closed their doors. I am like you and just joined in September for one year. I would like to know what our options are as far as refunds go. I will let you know if I hear anything.

AndreaMarie
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I asked the counsellor at the center tonight about Canadian centers closing. She said they have been getting lots of queries, and most people are finding it out on the internet. It sounded like they had been given the "correct" answer to tell clients. She said it is the Canadian centers that were owned by corporate headquarters are closing. Most of the corporate centers are in the TO area she said. The centers that are a franchise operation are not closing.

Terry

I use to manage a center in the Charlotte NC franchise that was franchise owned. When centers started closing around us our owner told us not to worry- we were franchise and had nothing to worry about. I worked there until December 10th 2008, sold programs, la lites, had an open house a few weeks prior etc. thinking that we had NOTHING to worry about. Loved my job and my clients. My owner called us on December 11th 2008 and fired us all over the phone, we were told not to go back to work there would be signs on the door and if we had left anything in the center it would be mailed to us. So, with that said, if you have a lot of money invested into one of these "franchise" centers I'd go ahead and get my product because most of my clients never got theirs or their refunds.

Terry123
01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the info Andrea Marie, and also the info on the other question I wrote on buying more weeks. Good advice.

I went tonight and got the 12 boxes of bars I had previously paid for. They were not pleased and wanted to know why I wanted so many. I just told the truth - WOW!!!! Not the right thing to say. I then had to talk to three different counsellors so that they could tell me that their franchise wasn't like that, not closing down, not affected, and that I should "trust them". Then asked me where I got the info I did, and then why I was looking for info like that??? They said that "if" their franchise was going to close down, then the owners of this franchise was going to buy the whole company. As if. And, that there are hundreds of LAWL centers still open - all across the US and Canada. I mentioned that they all closed down in Eastern Canada and Ontario, and a lot of the US, and then they said it wouldn't happen to them. So......I have my 12 boxes of bars.

I am sure I have a big red "x" in my file!!! Oh well.

RainyLakeGirl
01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Terry123, I think you completely did the right thing. I would have never thought my centre was going to close and was completely shocked when I went for my weigh in this a.m. The last time I was there, it seemed like everything was business as usual. I joined in September 2008 under a one year contract...... now they are owing me 8 months worth of service and 10 boxes of LA Lites. I am sure I won't see a dime, however, I have contacted Visa, and they will seek reimbursement on my behalf but not until LA Weight Loss files for bankruptcy or at the end of the year contract and go after them for services not rendered. It was very interesting when I called because they were extremely familiar with the whole situation...... obviously have received a large amount of the same phone calls.

If you notice that your centre begins to put their products on sale at 50% to 75% off, it won't be long before they close their doors. I guess that should have given me the heads up!

rhudson
01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Not sure when they closed because I was away. Here is the info a friend sent me. I'll let you know if I hear anything else. Another friend who jst spent a fortune last week there has called the Barrie Advance as well. I think they are doing a story on it this week.

Here is the info I have for franchise owner

Michael Schneer
Office Phone: (905) 889-7864
Fax: (905) 889-8571

Diet Success Corporation

RainyLakeGirl
01-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I sent an email to Mr. Shneer and received the standard letter below

Dear Client,

I would like to acknowledge receipt of your email. We have received a large number of client inquiries so we are trying to deal with them as quickly as possible. We are very sorry that our closing has caused you anger, concern and inconvenience.

All of the files are in the process of being shipped from the various centres to one secure facility. When all the files have been received and sorted, we will then be in a position to investigate what amount, if any, is owing to you and the other clients.

Alternatively, we have heard that Herbal Magic, one of our competitors, is willing to honour your service time with them at no additional charge. Apparently, all you have to do is bring them a copy of your service contract and they will honour it.

We appreciate your understanding and patience while we try and deal with this as expeditiously as possible.

Sincerely,

Michael Shneer

I am glad to hear your friend has contacted the Barrie Advance. I was thinking of doing the same.

HockeyChick21
01-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I got a email back from LA Weight loss today after asking about the status of my refund and this is what they said..

We take this opportunity to inform you that LAWL Maritimes Inc., the company that operated the Centre you attended, has been put into receivership by the secured creditors of the Company. Unfortunately as a result of the receivership, the Company no longer has any capital and is unable to provide any refund. We are sorry but we are unable to process your request.
Customer Service

I orginally wrote to them at the end of November when I found out my maritime center was closnig Dec 5th, they sent me the email saying that they were in the process of getting the files and should have them by December 15th, so I then wrote them again the other day to see what the status was and that email is what came back.

Did anybody else from the maritime center recieve this email or did you guys get any kind of refund? Anything else i can try instead of email?

RainyLakeGirl
01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
HockeyChick21, how did you originally pay? If you paid by credit card, your credit holder may be able to assist in recovering your funds. No promises, but they will make an attempt on your behalf.

AndreaMarie
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm in the US so it may be a little different in Canada but from what all my previous clients told me they have gotten zero refunds. If you put your program on Care Credit and your purchase was within the past 12 months they *may* refund part of your money. If you used your credit card then that is up to each creditor. If you paid cash/debit/check then I wouldn't count on it. What these owners have done is terrible and I would keep all your documents that you have because I'd almost guarantee that there will be some sort of class action lawsuit.

HockeyChick21
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I put both the plan and bars on credit card so im going to take it up with them now and see what they can do with it

RainyLakeGirl
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
AndreaMarie, I have a quick question for you. I have a few boxes of LA Lites on hand, but when I run out of the bars, what do I incorporate to make up for those calories?

RainyLakeGirl
01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi again AndreaMarie..... I just saw you answered that question on another thread for someone else. Thanks for the helpful information. I am currently on plan 2...... I am hoping to continue on, but find it difficult when I am not facing someone else at Weigh In!

Jenniferk2008
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
RainyLakeGirl -

FYI - Just in case you are interested, I found an alternitiave to the LA lite bars once I ran out as well. Changing Sizes sells the Proti bars that are made by the same manafacture as the old LA products, before the made the changes about a year and a half ago to make control trim fit into their program - different flavors, but the same formulas that fit into the LA program. I've been ordering them for a while now, and in my mind they taste WAY better than the la bars ever did. You can find them at www.changingsizes.com/protine-bars.html (http://www.changingsizes.com/protine-bars.html) They do ship to Canada as well - my mother gets them in Calgary - and from what I know there is no import duty on them as they are manafactured in Ontario (if I remember right), so a product of Canada to begin with.

Good Luck! Jenn, in AZ

AndreaMarie, I have a quick question for you. I have a few boxes of LA Lites on hand, but when I run out of the bars, what do I incorporate to make up for those calories?

Terbear
01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah so I go for a weigh in on the 24th of December and return on the 30th to find it closed, I just don't know who to be angry with but I can say I am very sad about it, I enjoyed going and I enjoyed the plan.

I am willing to do the LA ON THE GO if it is offered in Canada and IF I don't have to pay any more money. I signed up in late August so I still have 8 months left and 10 boxes of the bars.

I did notice everything on sale and I did ask what was going on or was the center going to close which they told me NO they are just trying to get rid of items that were coming up on the expiry date and in the new year they would have new stuff, MAN am I gullible or what!!

I am still on plan 2 so I don't know where to go from here what exactly is plan one and when you met your goal what happened then? I wish I could have gotten all the literature on it before they closed so I can go forward.

I don't plan on stopping I am still going to keep up on plan 2 and try and figure out my own way I guess.

Any advise or help from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Later and have a great day
Terry

RainyLakeGirl
01-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info. Jenniferk2008. I will certainly look into it!

Terry, I feel very much the same way you do. I guess the best we can do at this point is do our best to support one another and also just try to move forward. I do not want their closure to affect my weight loss and health!

Siena
01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone, I am new on this board and I had started LAWL in November, soon to find out that it was closing.
The Centre had informed of LA on th Go and have given me a booklet with a couple of numbers (that were incorrect) and some information. In any event, my centre closed down and after the holidays I tried to contact LA on the GO, with problems because the number printed on the booklet was incorrect. Anyways, when I did finally obtain the correct number I had to leave a message, but the mailbox was full. Then I tried again and finally got through!!!!
I just started this 2 weeks ago, I have a girl that calls me every Thursday and I email in my menu. The only think that I do not like is that they don't weigh you, but so far so good.
Oh, she was supposed to send me a couple of booklets when we first spoke (almost 3 weeks now) and I still have not received them.
BTW, I am in Toronto

jewljz
01-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Siena - I am not having much luck with the on-the-go program. This tuesday I missed her call by 1 ring and had no way to contact her back...