Fitness Videos - Tai Chi, anyone?

View Full Version : Tai Chi, anyone?

kelly315
11-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Does anyone around here follow a tai chi video or class? I know it's not a huge "calorie burner" but it has really made me feel in touch with my body.
Anyone else have experiences with it?

Spoz
11-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I absolutely love it! I think people really under estimate ta chi. It's fantastic for the mind and the body :D

SavingServo
11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I took a Tai Chi class last year for my gym credit. Very relaxing, I liked it a lot. It's a good cool down/warm up if you just run through a couple sets (I can't think of the correct word at the moment).

kelly315
11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I wish it was better known, it's so great, and it makes you feel wonderful. I feel so in touch with my body afterwards.

Tomato
11-24-2008, 07:18 AM
I took Tai Chi in the past, for about 2 years. The first year was a basic class, to learn the "stick" set and to chisel it a bit, and then the second year was more advanced, when you already know all the moves and you practise the form etc. I loved it as I love everything martial arts related and I am sorry I did not continue.
Sometimes I think I would like to do it again but I am spending 6 days a week at the gym already and there just is not time for everything.
It is deceptively 'easy' to perform a set but I was always sweaty afterwards. Not hugely, just a bit. It is an excellent way to keep the joints flexible although I swear one has to Oriental to achieve the perfect fluidity - they must have it in their genes. :-)

UrthWurm
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Sadly I haven't had a chance to take any Tai Chi classes, though I've been greatly craving to. I took a Kickboxing class just last quarter at my college, & I think they might offer Tai Chi, but I'm seriously a bit scared at the prospect. From what I understand about Tai Chi, it seems like it would be the easiest to perform when you're a bit more in-shape than I am.. =[ I think I generally tend to let my weight dissuade me from public workouts & classes of the like though, so maybe I'm just making excuses; it was about time I get over my phobia anyways! I'm trying to start by getting a membership at the college gym. :woops: Lol, I think that's kind of cheating though because I'll have my GF, as well as my sister, to work out with. :halffull:What are your opinions? Definitely worth taking the class, despite my social phobia? Let me know!