Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #1  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

Default Not losing, but not gaining.

I've been holding on to 118 for over a week now. Back when I lost weight in an unhealthy way, I could lose 4-5 pounds per week. Entering into THIS weight loss, I knew that at my size, it would be harder to lose weight.. that it would be more gradual.

So in the last 3 weeks, I have lost 4 pounds. I feel good about it though, because that means I'm losing "real" weight.. fat.. not water weight, etc. Whatever pounds I lose with this "lifestyle" of eating choices, I know that I can keep off, unlike the weight I lost in an unhealthy way.

But I've been at 118 for 10 days! I actually went up to 119 somewhere in the middle of it, but only for a day.

I definitely need to step up the exercise. Maybe that will be the boost my body needs to get itself going again. Right now, I'm not doing much of anything. I do my 35 minutes of core stuff on my stability ball and sometimes jog while I watch tv, but that's it.

Anyone else been stuck at the same number for a while? What are you going to do to get the ball rolling again?
offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

You are very close to goal and already at a healthy BMI. Further weight loss will be slow .... it is harder and harder to lose as you get lower. Believe me, I know!! Losing .5-1 lb per week is great progress!

When I get stuck, I've found it helpful to increase exercise duration and/or intensity. I think the best calorie burn is interval training - cardio intervals interspersed with weight training intervals, the best of both worlds. And I drink lots of water, and maybe bump up the percentage of protein in my diet a bit. But no matter what you do, further (healthy, sustainable) weight loss is likely to be slow. Just don't get discouraged!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #3  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

i wouldn't call 10 days much of a stall, to be honest - i was stuck at 183 for six weeks, and again at 174.5 for another six weeks. and i have about 45 lbs to lose, not 8. just keep doing what you're doing - your body is taking care of all kinds of repairs that may not register as a change on the scale.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #4  

thanks, everyone.

I am a healthy BMI, I know.. but I don't feel healthy and I don't look healthy. The more weight I lose, the more my cholesterol goes down. (At my high weight, I had high cholesterol, but changing my diet didn't help much.. but losing weight has)

But even at 110, I'll be at a healthy BMI too, and not even at the low end. 110 will be right in the middle, which is what I'm aiming for.

Glad to hear that 10 days isn't much of a stall. That makes me feel better. I'll just keep plugging away..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, 10 days is just a blip.

Have you looked into weight training? It's possible that you don't really need to lose more, you just need to tighten and reshape what you have.

I would do two things if I were you:
Try weight training (real weights, not barbie weights)
Work on your macros to get 30% or more protein.

I think those two things will make HUGE differences in your body.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You're closer to goal than I am. I was 149.5 for 12 days, then 148 for 7 days. Then 147 for 8 days. Fluctuating all over the place too. But at least it's a consistent trend! So I guess what I'm really saying, is yes, you have to change your expectations as you get closer. And yes, I can empathize .

I do think exercising will make a big difference for you.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-21-2008 at 12:23 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/127.5/130

Height: 5'8"

I am soooo with you! I have been fluctuating between 133 and 134 for the past 12 days. Up until that point I was consistent with losing 1-2 pounds per week. My body is just trying to drive me insane. I'm so close to goal, I can taste it! I just want to be there already. Anyways, I just got my period today so I am crossing my fingers and hoping to see a significant decrease (a pound) in the next day or two. Wouldn't that be nice?!
KRy172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #8  

Quote:
Have you looked into weight training? It's possible that you don't really need to lose more, you just need to tighten and reshape what you have.
After 2 kids, I'm not sure I can reshape ANYthing. lol. I hear what you're saying though, and I am very interested in starting to work with weights, to tone up and gain some muscle. Every time I get myself motivated to do it though, I talk myself out of it because I have injured rotator cuffs in both my shoulders and I am SO nervous about re-injuring them because when that happens (and it happens every couple of months due to repetitive motion, heavy laundry lugging, etc.) I am out of commision for a week or so and it hurts SO bad. I know that if I build the muscles up AROUND my rotator cuff that it will strengthen my shoulders/arms and that's good, but I just get so nervous. One wrong move and.. well, OUCH.

I shouldn't complain about stalling weight though. I have the flu now - it struck full force yesterday - and I lost 1.5 pounds overnight. UM.. not how I wanted to do that! I should have been more clear. Karma is kicking my butt. lol.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #9  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Franny, I would reccommend something like pilates, if weight training won't do for you. I too get injuries easily, at one point had a personal trainer, and that was great, she took care of me. But she changed jobs and the new one allowed me to get hurt, so I had to fire her. So Be careful it you go that route. Even tho I haven't lost much weight, lots of people have commented on my figure, and I think that is the pilates, helping me get in shape, literally.
good luck!
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Franny, if this 50 something mother of 2 can re-shape her body with exercise (after menopause) so can you!

Pilates, yoga, stretchie band, light weights can do wonders! Really!

I love Pilates!!! And - they work
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote