Weight Loss Support - Not losing, but not gaining.

View Full Version : Not losing, but not gaining.

offmyfranny
11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I've been holding on to 118 for over a week now. Back when I lost weight in an unhealthy way, I could lose 4-5 pounds per week. Entering into THIS weight loss, I knew that at my size, it would be harder to lose weight.. that it would be more gradual.

So in the last 3 weeks, I have lost 4 pounds. I feel good about it though, because that means I'm losing "real" weight.. fat.. not water weight, etc. Whatever pounds I lose with this "lifestyle" of eating choices, I know that I can keep off, unlike the weight I lost in an unhealthy way.

But I've been at 118 for 10 days! I actually went up to 119 somewhere in the middle of it, but only for a day.

I definitely need to step up the exercise. Maybe that will be the boost my body needs to get itself going again. Right now, I'm not doing much of anything. I do my 35 minutes of core stuff on my stability ball and sometimes jog while I watch tv, but that's it.

Anyone else been stuck at the same number for a while? What are you going to do to get the ball rolling again?

MBN
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
You are very close to goal and already at a healthy BMI. Further weight loss will be slow .... it is harder and harder to lose as you get lower. Believe me, I know!! Losing .5-1 lb per week is great progress!

When I get stuck, I've found it helpful to increase exercise duration and/or intensity. I think the best calorie burn is interval training - cardio intervals interspersed with weight training intervals, the best of both worlds. And I drink lots of water, and maybe bump up the percentage of protein in my diet a bit. But no matter what you do, further (healthy, sustainable) weight loss is likely to be slow. Just don't get discouraged!

kuhljeanie
11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
i wouldn't call 10 days much of a stall, to be honest - i was stuck at 183 for six weeks, and again at 174.5 for another six weeks. and i have about 45 lbs to lose, not 8. just keep doing what you're doing - your body is taking care of all kinds of repairs that may not register as a change on the scale.

offmyfranny
11-21-2008, 10:08 AM
thanks, everyone.

I am a healthy BMI, I know.. but I don't feel healthy and I don't look healthy. The more weight I lose, the more my cholesterol goes down. (At my high weight, I had high cholesterol, but changing my diet didn't help much.. but losing weight has)

But even at 110, I'll be at a healthy BMI too, and not even at the low end. 110 will be right in the middle, which is what I'm aiming for. :)

Glad to hear that 10 days isn't much of a stall. That makes me feel better. I'll just keep plugging away..

PhotoChick
11-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, 10 days is just a blip.

Have you looked into weight training? It's possible that you don't really need to lose more, you just need to tighten and reshape what you have. :)

I would do two things if I were you:
Try weight training (real weights, not barbie weights)
Work on your macros to get 30% or more protein.

I think those two things will make HUGE differences in your body.

JulieJ08
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
You're closer to goal than I am. I was 149.5 for 12 days, then 148 for 7 days. Then 147 for 8 days. Fluctuating all over the place too. But at least it's a consistent trend! So I guess what I'm really saying, is yes, you have to change your expectations as you get closer. And yes, I can empathize :).

I do think exercising will make a big difference for you.

KRy172
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I am soooo with you! I have been fluctuating between 133 and 134 for the past 12 days. Up until that point I was consistent with losing 1-2 pounds per week. My body is just trying to drive me insane. I'm so close to goal, I can taste it! I just want to be there already. Anyways, I just got my period today so I am crossing my fingers and hoping to see a significant decrease (a pound) in the next day or two. Wouldn't that be nice?!

offmyfranny
11-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Have you looked into weight training? It's possible that you don't really need to lose more, you just need to tighten and reshape what you have.

After 2 kids, I'm not sure I can reshape ANYthing. lol. I hear what you're saying though, and I am very interested in starting to work with weights, to tone up and gain some muscle. Every time I get myself motivated to do it though, I talk myself out of it because I have injured rotator cuffs in both my shoulders and I am SO nervous about re-injuring them because when that happens (and it happens every couple of months due to repetitive motion, heavy laundry lugging, etc.) I am out of commision for a week or so and it hurts SO bad. I know that if I build the muscles up AROUND my rotator cuff that it will strengthen my shoulders/arms and that's good, but I just get so nervous. One wrong move and.. well, OUCH.

I shouldn't complain about stalling weight though. I have the flu now - it struck full force yesterday - and I lost 1.5 pounds overnight. UM.. not how I wanted to do that! I should have been more clear. Karma is kicking my butt. lol.

fatmad
11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Franny, I would reccommend something like pilates, if weight training won't do for you. I too get injuries easily, at one point had a personal trainer, and that was great, she took care of me. But she changed jobs and the new one allowed me to get hurt, so I had to fire her. So Be careful it you go that route. Even tho I haven't lost much weight, lots of people have commented on my figure, and I think that is the pilates, helping me get in shape, literally.
good luck!
fatmad

CountingDown
11-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Franny, if this 50 something mother of 2 can re-shape her body with exercise (after menopause) so can you!

Pilates, yoga, stretchie band, light weights can do wonders! Really!

I love Pilates!!! And - they work :D