Old 11-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #1  
Jools

Height: 5foot1.5inches

Default Another Newbie

I have just read the inspirational post by Kelly315 “How I’ve spent the last 60 days without overeating/bingeing” and I would love to be able to post a similar achievement by January 2009.

I have had an unhealthy relationship with food since my teens – never been seriously overweight, but I have starved and stuffed in an endless cycle which, as I get older, will be putting extra pressures on my heart and other organs.

I want and need to change, to eat regular meals, in reasonable quantities.

I am currently “living a lie” of eating in secret and hating myself for it.

I want to change, I can’t do this alone and this supportive, caring community seems the best place to get help and support.
4Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #2  
Brie

S/C/G: 157.5/157.5/125

Height: 5'3''

Hello there Jools, I'm Brie. I can relate to what you said completely, and I'm hoping to find the same support from this site. Are you attending OA meetings currently? Amanda, another member of this group suggested to me yesterday that I attend a meeting. They even have online meeting to go to. But together with each other's support I think we will be able to post the 60 day post! Good luck to you and we'll talk soon!

Brie
brieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #3  

Hi Guys,

Congratulations to you both for finding this resource and reaching out. I too have had terrible problems with food for most of my life. I use it like a drug. I've been attending OA meetings for 7 months and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY.

I can't believe how much my life and my food issues have changed for the better. OA is definitely working for me!!

Tony
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #4  
Jools

Many thanks for the welcome Brieb and tvalle :-)

I have read your own introduction Brieb and wish you well.

I have found an OA meeting near me - just a case of plucking up the courage to get along to one!

To work on my self esteem issues I am to start a blog here and "nourish" myself with good grooming,non-food treats etc. so life seems a little brighter.

The fact that I am not medically overweight is hiding a bigger issue of my whole attitude to food and eating!

Last edited by 4Dreams; 11-21-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #5  
Brie

Jools, I completely agree with you. I myself and only considered mildly overweight, but the truth is that I am so unhealthy, and it is getting worse and worse. My mother was the same way I was and has a history of bulimia as well. She is now 5ft tall and almost 300lbs. She has so many medical problems it is rediculous, and she can't even come to visit her grandchildren because she is too heavy to move around. I don't want to be like her, and I feel myself going down the same road. I am having a hard time getting myself to a meeting as well because I don't want to be rejected. The truth is, is that by looking at me, you wouldn't think I have a food addiction and I don't want to feel like I have to prove myself to the members of OA. I think I'm just scared. But since you and I are both just starting out, let's do it together. I'll take the plung and go to a meeting if you do. How does that sound?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #6  
Jools

Thanks so much for your support Brie - lets do this together :-)

I have two options - an online meeting EST 10pm for "newcomers" or a group meeting Sunday evening ( I am in UK)

I am going to try the online one first.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #7  

Welcome to 3FC and the OA forum! It's always nice to see new faces, so to speak.

I'd like to encourage you to go to a face to face meeting even if you do the online meeting. Getting online support is great, but nothing beats face to face contact with other COEs.

Stick around and post any questions you have. I've only been at OA for 2 weeks, but I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
nicolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #8  
Jools

Thanks Nicolee :-)

It is great to have advice from someone who is a couple of weeks further down the path to recovery than me.

I will go to the face to face meeting
Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #9  

Let us know how it goes Sunday.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #10  
Jools

Well - got to the meeting. I was too shy to speak up, just listened and learned.

I was made to feel very welcome so I will go back :-)

I have a problem with the "higher power" as I have no religious beliefs - how do atheists deal with this???
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #11  

I'm glad you went and that you're going back.

To answer your question, I think there's a chapter in the Big Book (alcoholics anonymous) that address atheists and a higher power. I've ordered my book, and as soon as I get it, I'll look for it and let you know.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dreams View Post
Well - got to the meeting. I was too shy to speak up, just listened and learned.

I was made to feel very welcome so I will go back :-)

I have a problem with the "higher power" as I have no religious beliefs - how do atheists deal with this???
Congrats on going to the meeting, STAYING for the meeting, and planning to return!

A very simple way to look at the Higher Power concept is to acknowledge that you have not been able to deal with this problem on your own- and you have to let someone or thing take the reins. For now it can be the OA group. This is not saying they are "god", simply that your way has not worked, so you are going to look outside yourself. This is the type of question you can bring up before or after a meeting, or during if it is on topic for the format. People will come up to you and give you their experience. Most likely someone else's experience will click for you.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #13  
Jools

"Going to look outside myself"

Thanks Tommy , I can relate to that :-)
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #14  
Brie

Wow, you really don't waste anytime at all do you. I'm so proud of you for going to the meeting. I still haven't gotten there, but I am reading the overeaters anonymous book and I plan on going to a meeting next week. There is just so much going on this week with the holiday that I'm not going to make it there. I think I may be making excuses for myself. But I'm going to see my therapist tonight and we are going to set up a meeting schedule together, so I'm getting on board it's just taking me a little longer then it is you.

About the :higher Power" Tommy's absolutly right, let the group be the "Higher power" for you, and you're already doing that by going back to the next meeting! You are doing so great, and I look forward to getting right behind you! I'll keep you posted! Talk to you soon Jools.

Brie
Old 11-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #15  
Jools

Thanks everyone for your continuing support!

Brie - so happy to hear you are planning to attend a meeting.

JUST DO IT - it might be the one "Groundhog Day" event which changes your life and attitude.

I weighed myself today- I am down 2 pounds. I will start to weigh myself more frequently to remind myself what bingeing does to my body.