Weight Loss Support - Anyone else having a hard time with 1200 calories?

offmyfranny
11-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I have been (trying to anyway) doing the 1200 calories a day thing. I'm short and not very active, so I don't create much of a calorie deficit through exercise. But it seems like I am always STARVING. I can make it through morning and early afternoon fine, but once 3:00 or so hits, all I think about is food. I usually end up going over by a couple hundred calories once all is said and done and I go to bed feeling awful about myself.

Anyone else having a hard time with this? What do you do? Is it possible I'm not giving myself enough calories? I've been doing this for a little over 2 weeks and have lost 2.5 pounds. It was about 4 pounds, but I put 1.5 pounds back on during this time, so 2.5 pounds total. So 1.25 a week.

Any advice/insight?

Thanks.

Beautiful Ace
11-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I didn't do the calorie thing, but when i cut down IMMENSELY on my food intake (eating three decent sized meals and healthy snacks 2 times a day) I was starving too. But then my stomach shrank, and now im only hungry when I should be eating, and sometimes not even that.

CountingDown
11-18-2008, 10:00 PM
You could try adding in a 100-200 calories and see if that helps. At your weight, a loss of even .5 lbs per week is a good one.

Also, I find that eating several small meals (snacks) works great!
I make sure I get some protein every time I eat, and I incorporate a lot of veggies - particularly in the afternoon.

Try a low-fat string cheese, and some veggies and a cup of tea, or coffee, or diet soda around 3:00 - see if that helps.

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
1200 is tough, but not impossible. At that calorie level, though, it's REALLY important *what* you eat, to keep you feeling full. Can you post an average day's menu and maybe we can give you some suggestions?

yogajane
11-18-2008, 10:02 PM
1200 is achievable, but it takes some adjustment. I second the suggestion to post what your menus look like - maybe it can be tweaked.

rockinrobin
11-18-2008, 10:15 PM
At 1200 calories, which is what I stick to, it's uber important that you make each and every calorie count. Fiber. Protein. More Fiber. More protein. Very filling stuff. And of course very nutritious. I'm also a mere 5 feet tall and through trial and error, I've found that unfortunately my body just doesn't require more calories then that to run on.

I like to eat often to avoid that hungry feeling. I don't do "hungry". I can honestly say that it's a rarity that I'm hungry. Being hungry would defiinitely set me up for failure. So I break down my calories into a bunch of mini-meals/snacks. Lots and lots and lots of veggies. Egg white omlettes. Chicken breast. Tuna. Salmon. FF/SF yogurt. More veggies. Salads. Stir-fries.

If you're hungry at 3:00, I would eat at 3:00. A FF/SF yogurt with some Fiber One cereal thrown in is a great, filling, low cal snack. Cottage cheese. And I agree, hot tea is a great filler too.

I too was wondering what it is that you're eating. Perhaps your menu could use a little tweaking.

butterflygurl
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm having problems getting enough calories in...usu. I have ~1,000...somedays a little more, somedays a little less

offmyfranny
11-18-2008, 10:53 PM
ok, so I got my notebook. I'll do 2 "typical" days

Breakfast:
cereal/milk (cereal varies, usually Life or Fiber One)
pear

Snack:
granola bar

LUNCH:
salad (mostly green but with some FF cheese, hard boiled egg and FF dressing)

3:00 Snack:
WW bread with peanut butter
2 rice cakes (caramel or cheddar)

DINNER:
1/3 Kashi pizza (with extra veggies added on top)

BEFORE BED SNACK:
handful of almonds

Another day:

Breakfast:
cereal/banana/milk

Snack:
rice cakes

Lunch:
WW black bean and cheese quesadilla
skim milk

Snack:
Graham crackers

DINNER:
egg with fat-free cheese on high fiber bread
turkey bacon
pear

SNACK:
Cheez-Its

It's obvious I like my carbs. I try to eat light snacks earlier in the day because I am not as hungry and those satisfy me. That way I can have more "free" calories for later in the day and at night. But it still doesn't seem to help.

And yes, with 1200 calories, EVERY SINGLE calorie counts! I can't add in this here or that there without going over. Usually I end up with between 1400-1500 calories. Which is not awful, but if I do that, I should move my franny more. lol. The two days I posted were days when I actually stayed within my 1200 calories.

Also, I have been drinking 48 ounces of water (1/8 juice and 7/8 water) each day in addition to whatever else I drink that day. It is NOT helping me to feel full or less hungry at ALL.

I would like to say though that before I logged on here, my intent was to raid the cupboards for snacks. I didn't care, I was hungry! Then I logged on, posted this and have since eaten a pear and now I am on my way to bed. :) YAY! So you guys are a big help! Thank you!

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I definitely think more veggies would help you feel full for not many calories.

One thing I learned from Weight Watchers was the concept of the Zero Point soup. I count calories now, but I have a few soups that are very very very low calorie per serving - a cabbage/carrot soup, a butternut soup, etc. Each serving is around 100 calories, but it's really really filling. I eat a serving for a snack and it gets me more veggies for the day, plus helping me feel full.

I'll post recipes if you're interested. :)

offmyfranny
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks so much for looking. Yes.. I should more veggies, huh?

Actually, I have a slow cooker cookbook with some crazy low-calorie soups (cabbage soups, especially, as low as 40 cals per serving!)

Tonight for dinner, we have some of that Campbell's Select Harvest Light soup.. lots of veggies (50 cals per serving) and I mixed in some leftover chicken breast. It was REALLY good. My kids loved it too, so that's good. I could probably even put extra veggies in it huh? To get more of the FRESH factor in.

I just want crackers and bread! lol.

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I just want crackers and bread! lol.Hahah. Yeah, that's my weakness too. We had veggie soup for dinner and DH bought a loaf of french bread. I had 1 small slice and he ate most of the rest of it. Brat.

offmyfranny
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
mm.. french bread. My local bakery makes these loaves of super-squooshy italian bread, just a bit smaller than a normal loaf of bread and in recent past, I have been known to eat a WHOLE loaf in one sitting with some Country Crock spread. SO GOOD. I don't know how to just have one piece of that stuff. I am all about the bread. Sigh.

HealthPNut
11-19-2008, 02:02 AM
I definitely second the vegetables...
Whenever I'm hungry but don't want more calories I eat things like a whole can of green bean (only 70 cals) or an entire zucchini chopped up and fried with a little organic olive oil spray with minced garlic... sooo good and filling. Egg whites is another thing I eat a lot of. I just mix egg whites with about 1/2cup spinach, some red and green onion, peppers, and sometimes tomatoes with seasoning salt. It's a huge plate of food for well under 100 calories :)

rockinrobin
11-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Yes indeedy!!! More veggies. And protein. I'd also be starving on what you're eating.

Those granola bars are glorified candy bars. No sticking power.

1/3 of a pizza? Also not so filling. Salmon and veggies or a salad. Chicken breast stir fry. Turkey meatballs with spaghetti squash.

Snack? Cheez-its? Rice Cakes. Sorry, but that's air food. Sooo incredibly unsatisfying. Hows about an apple and 10 pitachio nuts? Or some cottage cheese and berries? Or yogurt and Fiber One? An egg white omlette and sauteed veggies?

For lunch. How about adding a can of tuna in water or canned salmon to that salmon. It's full of protein and will fill you up.

I personally LOVE, LOVE, LOVE bread as well - which is why I basically gave it up. I simply could not lose the weight and have it in my life. Cause like you said - I could eat a whole loaf. For me, I'm much better just saying no altogether then opeing up the door. It's a choice. But when I gave up the bread, within a couple of weeks, my cravings for it really, really slowed down to almost non-existient. Hard to believe, but true.

Oh yeah. And soups ARE great. Butternut Squash soup is fantastic. MAke a big pot. It freezes beautifully.

RangerChic
11-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Besides the veggies, you really do need to be more active. How many hours a week to you work out? And, it doesn't look like you're taking in enough protein in your diet. Also, you need to drink more water, try to add another 12 ounces to your current intake.

srmb60
11-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm going to applaud your work on this offmyfranny. I learned sooo much about nutrition by counting calories and I can see that you are too.

Let us know what you tried today and how it went.

Tomato
11-19-2008, 09:06 AM
I would be dead if I lived on 1200 calories. That's why I don't count calories - I eat clean and my calorie intake fluctuates from day to day, but I think that this is how it should be. JMHO, of course.

rockinrobin
11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
. That's why I don't count calories - I eat clean and my calorie intake fluctuates from day to day, but I think that this is how it should be. JMHO, of course.[/

Okay, you see, that just plain ole' never worked for me. We are all different after all. Eating "healthy" was just a guise for me. I need to be held accountable and the only way I can do that is by monitoring my caloric intake. All too easy for ME to overspend calolries on healthy foods.

I would be dead if I lived on 1200 calories
I've been "doing" 1200 calories for quite some time now. And I've never felt better. Never felt more alive. In fact, if I hadn't started doing 1200 calories, there's a great possibility that I would have been dead.

What is it that my dad used to say? Oh yeah. "That's what makes horseracing."

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Egg whites is another thing I eat a lot of. I just mix egg whites with about 1/2cup spinach, some red and green onion, peppers, and sometimes tomatoes with seasoning salt. It's a huge plate of food for well under 100 calories

I love this meal! I'll make it a point to make it more often. Thanks!

rockinrobin - thank you for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully. Tough love! Granola bars ARE glorified candy bars. I get them because when I am craving "junk" it's an easy way to get through it for 100 calories. Maybe it's making me crave more junk? Or just not easing the hunger, probably.

Changing the way you eat is hard stuff!

Also, you need to drink more water, try to add another 12 ounces to your current intake.

Do you really think so? More than like 60 ounces a day? I drink 48 ounces of water, plus whatever milk, etc. that I drink that day. Drinking this much water has been VERY hard for me, because I have a bladder disease and while drinking water is GOOD for that, it also has me in the bathroom literally every 15 minutes. Before I started trying to make changes, I drank less than 20 ounces of liquid per day most days. So THIS is a HUGE change. I think I will stick with it for a while instead of overwhelming myself to do more. Once it becomes a way of life to drink THIS much, I can probably up it without too much problem. Or is this me being in denial and I need to just do it?

I am filled with so much self-doubt. :(

you really do need to be more active. How many hours a week to you work out

Not nearly enough. At all. I know I need to be more active. I'm being a wimp now that's it's freezing cold here and I don't want to go out. So I do the old standby - jogging in place, doing my core dvd, etc.

My husband wants to get me something for Christmas that I would never get myself (I'm a cheapskate). Maybe I should ask him for a gym membership. I get a discount because the gym is at the college and I graduated from there. It's $180 year for a single person. That's not bad. As long as I'd actually use it. How many people do that and then don't use it?

ok.. off to read page 2.

Thanks everyone!

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm going to applaud your work on this offmyfranny. I learned sooo much about nutrition by counting calories and I can see that you are too.

awww.. thank you! Your encouragement means a lot to me!

tomato ~ as rockinrobin said, I am the same way. I would completely overdo it, simply because "it's healthy!" It simply just doesn't work for me. It looks like it's working for you though! Great weight loss! :)

PhotoChick
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
My husband wants to get me something for Christmas that I would never get myself (I'm a cheapskate). Maybe I should ask him for a gym membership. I get a discount because the gym is at the college and I graduated from there. It's $180 year for a single person. That's a pretty great price. It works out to about $15 a month. For comparison, I pay $35 a month for my membership. :)

I was also going to come back and say that adding exercise would really really help. Even 30 minutes of body resistance stuff at home would make a difference - lunges, squats, stepups, pushups, situps/crunches, planks ... stuff like that, that wouldn't require weights (at least at first). But a gym membership would be really ideal.

By exercising for 30 mins a day, you could easily add 300+ cals back into your diet and not mess up your progress. And at 1500 cals, you'd open up a whole new world of eating! :D

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Actually, I just checked, and as an alum, my yearly cost would be $146.

They have a huge weight room, an indoor pool, a track, a huge room with bikes, step-machines, etc. plus they do 50+ different group classes.

I used to go back when I made it to my goal weight a couple years ago. I hated it at first, but then didn't mind it so much. I just did mostly the bikes and walking the track though. Group classes intimidate me, and I'm scared of using weights because of my shoulders. I'm afraid of re-injuring them (although weight training would strengthen them - I have rotator cuff injuries) I'm also a bit nervous about being in the weight room with all the big manly men laughing at me. lol.

I think when you join, you get 1 meeting with a personal trainer who will go through all the equipment with you.

I'll ask hubby. Maybe he'll join with me. He used to work out and do martial arts year ago. Now he just sits on the computer and plays games.

PhotoChick
11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Actually, I just checked, and as an alum, my yearly cost would be $146. *thud* :) That's awesome!

I'm also a bit nervous about being in the weight room with all the big manly men laughing at me. lol. ACtually one thing I noticed at my gym is that the guys - the ones who are really serious about working out - are in AWE of a woman who will lift weights. They think it's cool. I get more approving looks (and I'm not a skinny thing) and guys who make room for me and help me out when they see that I'm serious and not just playing around with "barbie" weights. It's really cool!

Extasee58865
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I didn't do the calorie thing, but when i cut down IMMENSELY on my food intake (eating three decent sized meals and healthy snacks 2 times a day) I was starving too. But then my stomach shrank, and now im only hungry when I should be eating, and sometimes not even that.

It was the same way for me. The first 3 weeks or so I was hungry ALL THE TIME! But eventually after a couple of weeks your stomach does shrink and you do reach the point where you are hungry only when you should be eating.

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
It was the same way for me. The first 3 weeks or so I was hungry ALL THE TIME! But eventually after a couple of weeks your stomach does shrink and you do reach the point where you are hungry only when you should be eating.

I think this may be the case for me as well. When I was at my low weight, I don't remember EVER being this hungry! I hope it happens soon. I am regularly going over my calorie limit, but still eating less than I used to, for just over 2 weeks now, so hopefully soon!

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
ACtually one thing I noticed at my gym is that the guys - the ones who are really serious about working out - are in AWE of a woman who will lift weights. They think it's cool. I get more approving looks (and I'm not a skinny thing) and guys who make room for me and help me out when they see that I'm serious and not just playing around with "barbie" weights. It's really cool!

We'll see. The thought makes me shudder. I'm a little chicken. lol.

hereyago
11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
It's obvious I like my carbs. I try to eat light snacks earlier in the day because I am not as hungry and those satisfy me. That way I can have more "free" calories for later in the day and at night. But it still doesn't seem to help.

And yes, with 1200 calories, EVERY SINGLE calorie counts! I can't add in this here or that there without going over. Usually I end up with between 1400-1500 calories. Which is not awful, but if I do that, I should move my franny more. lol. The two days I posted were days when I actually stayed within my 1200 calories.

Also, I have been drinking 48 ounces of water (1/8 juice and 7/8 water) each day in addition to whatever else I drink that day. It is NOT helping me to feel full or less hungry at ALL.

I would like to say though that before I logged on here, my intent was to raid the cupboards for snacks. I didn't care, I was hungry! Then I logged on, posted this and have since eaten a pear and now I am on my way to bed. :) YAY! So you guys are a big help! Thank you!

I too am very short at 4'10" and I cannot eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight. My basal metabolic rate is 1290 which is what I would burn if I slept all day. Most days without exercise I can burn 1600 or so calories (I use a Sensewear armband that measures caloric burn - same devices that the contestants wear).

It is frustrating because the weight loss is soooo slooowww. I have to exercise at least an hour and a half a day and stick to 1200 calories to lose a 1/2 a pound a week (and that isn't guaranteed).

I eat some of the same things you do, and struggle with hunger which led me to eating no more than 300 calories at a meal with three snacks at 100 calories a piece.

I do track my calories on this same Sensewear website that tracks my caloric burn. Interestingly I am surprised that I eat pretty balanced meals - protein, fat, carbs, sodium, and fiber. I sometimes eat more carbs than I should.

Tough for us short girls.:cool:

RangerChic
11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Do you really think so? More than like 60 ounces a day? I drink 48 ounces of water, plus whatever milk, etc. that I drink that day. Drinking this much water has been VERY hard for me, because I have a bladder disease and while drinking water is GOOD for that, it also has me in the bathroom literally every 15 minutes. Before I started trying to make changes, I drank less than 20 ounces of liquid per day most days. So THIS is a HUGE change. I think I will stick with it for a while instead of overwhelming myself to do more. Once it becomes a way of life to drink THIS much, I can probably up it without too much problem. Or is this me being in denial and I need to just do it?

I am filled with so much self-doubt. :(

Gradually get yourself up to 60oz a day. Honestly, it's a good thing to keep our systems filled with lots of water. And, I know it's difficult. I'm struggling with it myself, but we need to do it. Also, keeping your system hydrated with water helps your metabolism too.

Not nearly enough. At all. I know I need to be more active. I'm being a wimp now that's it's freezing cold here and I don't want to go out. So I do the old standby - jogging in place, doing my core dvd, etc.

My husband wants to get me something for Christmas that I would never get myself (I'm a cheapskate). Maybe I should ask him for a gym membership. I get a discount because the gym is at the college and I graduated from there. It's $180 year for a single person. That's not bad. As long as I'd actually use it. How many people do that and then don't use it?

Get some exercise dvds. You can get used ones pretty cheap too. I use the Biggest Loser workout dvds all the time and LOVE them. And, if you have Time Warner Cable, they have an exercise TV channel with all sorts of workouts.
And, the gym would be awesome, you just have to make sure you use it.
None of these changes are easy in the slightest, but once you get going on them, you will feel great.

Tomato
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
$180 - That's a pretty great price. It works out to about $15 a month. For comparison, I pay $35 a month for my membership. :)

I agree, I pay $45 plus tax, so it comes up to $47.something per month (I am in Canada).
I fortunate that the company I work recognizes the importance of a healthy lifestyle and we get $320 contribution per annum that can applied to our gym membership, Weight Watchers membership, etc.
But, even without the contribution, my gym is worth every penny - I just LOVE the place. We have terrific classes (everything included in the membership) plus this is the only truly hard core gym in town. I am really milking my membership for what it's worth - these days, I am at the gym 6x a week.

Sorry, I am going on a bit of a rant here - I really appreciate the fact that at the reception, there is always a huge bouquet of fresh flowers, and in the ladies change room there are two (at any time). I love smelling them every time I go there.

Rockinrobin and offmyffrany - I am a lot taller than you both, and I have always used to be terribly hungry. But all of a sudden, my body has somehow "settled" (or perhaps my stomach has) and not nearly as hungry as I used to be. Which is a good thing. I am not trying to convince anyone that not counting calories is the way to go - we each have to find our own way, our own method. I am just too lazy to keep entering everything into the DailyPlate, FitDay, or whatever the websites are. I am NOT lazy to exercise, though. :-)

rockinrobin
11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
I understand exactly what you're saying, Tomato. We must all find our own way. And of course, our bodies are all different and therefore require different "things".

For the record. I don't enter any of my foods into anywhere. I don't even write it down - anymore. It's all up there in my head. Once I learned the calorie counts of the things I eat and since I tend to repeat the same things over and over and over again, it's kinda easy to keep track. Breakfast has so and so many calories, lunch X amount, dinner, snacks and so on. And I am not extremely anal about it. I round up my apple to 100 cals. Sometimes it's 120, other times it'll be 80, depending on the size. Although I alwasy look for the smallest one. A salad - I estimate it around 200, although it may have been 220 or 180. It all evens out apparently, as I've lost the weight this way and now kept it off.

cakses
11-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Some of your snacks could be replaced with more veggies and protein and fiber and you would probably be less ravenous.

I agree the gym membership sounds great and CHEAP! Go for it. Don't worry about how you look, just go for yourself. When I walk into the free weights room it is about 95% males and I sometimes get a double take from someone there, but I just do my own thing and it feels good to be able to do that. Even just walking or cycling would help out. I'd go for it!

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks! I think I will! :)