General chatter - What were you doing five years ago?

mazza
11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Did you have a different job?

Were you living in another city?

Little things, big things... include anything.

I'll start. Five years ago, I was living in a Greek-culture rich neighbourhood, in a large semi-terrace house, and had a bedroom with a window large enough to crawl out of.

What were you doing five years ago?

Beautiful Ace
11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Haha, I was 13 so I was probably whining about whatever there was at the time and sitting at home watching simpsons.

djay
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
5 years ago...I smoked 2 packs per day. My youngest daughter was in High School. I worked for the best boss I ever had. I lived in a different town. I lived in a larger house. My oldest daughter wasn't married and still lived at home. I didn't have a granddaughter. My Black Lab was still living. I didn't have my Bichon Fise. My husband was still living.

Wow...The only thing that remains constant is that things change!

wantingtolose
11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
5 years ago i was 22, and i was pregnant with my son. I had just found out he was a BOY! and i was so excited. I was nervous for thanksgiving since out of town relatives were visiting and i was going to tell them all the news. I felt huge, and had no idea that all the eating i was doing was going to leave me with a 70lb weight gain, and take me 2 years to lose. My son was worth it though :D

junebug41
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
21, Pothead, smoker, music student, obese, sharpening skates, in a really bad relationship...

Boy have we come a long way :lol:

Chele615
11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Five years ago, my life was very similar to what it is now. I was 24 years old and was starting my third year teaching high school special education. I was working on my Master's Degree in Learning Disabilities and was almost done with it. I was actually just finishing up my practicum/seminar and doing my last class. I traveled a lot to visit friends and see skating events.

Five years later, I am still doing a lot of the same things. I still teach high school special education and this is my eighth year doing it. I have been done with my Master's since January of 2005 when I graduated summa cum laude. I still travel a bunch for different skating events and love every minute of it!!!

The two main differences are that I have two nieces and a nephew who were not born yet five years ago and I am now 40 pounds smaller than I was back then! I also remembered another one. Five years ago, I was driving a blue Chevy Cavalier and now I'm driving a silver Ford Focus. LOL

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Five years ago

* I had just moved into my townhouse.
* I was married
* I was working a data contract for the American Cancer Society
* I drove a Saturn
* My dad was alive
* I used Canon gear (heh)

That's about it, I think.

DRose
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
5 years ago I was a freshman in highschool. I lived in a different house, in a different town with my mom. We didn't have my second pug. I had never been kissed and never had a boyfriend. I was a size 14-16. (Now I'm fitting into size 8's!!). I fought with my brother all the time. And I was only 14 so I didn't have a license or anything.

zeffryn
11-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Five years ago:

I was newly engaged to my now husband
I was living in Minneapolis in a teensy, old but full of character apartment
I was in grad school
I drove a celica
I was broke
I had a job
I didn't have kids

evilwomaniamshe
11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
5 years ago I started my own business. I've been a successful entrepreneur ever since!

FB
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
5 years ago I was fat and pregnant!
I lived in a smaller, newer house that I hated, (always loved old homes) which I swore I would sell while my husband was at work.
I drove a PT Cruiser :/
I wasn't working much by choice.
Pretty broke as a result.

yogajane
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Engaged, living in a different country, bored, drinking. Wow, life has changed!

Lyria
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Five years ago:

- I was 20
- In my first year at Uni
- I was badly under eating
- Chronically over exercising
- In the grip of anorexia
- Had a casual job
- Trying to save (on campus & at Uni this was an impossibility!)
- Had severe self worth and esteem issues
- No serious boyfriend, just a stream of "flings"

Ahhh...life is so much better 5 years older and wiser!

cbmare
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
5 years ago...My husband was still living.

Wow...The only thing that remains constant is that things change!

I'm sorry for your loss. You're very young to be widowed. I was widowed before I was 30 and had 2 kids. That was 28 years ago and it still hurts at times.

Five years ago...My second most favorite job I've ever had in my life was ending thanks to that :censored: Enron debacle. However, the opportunity to go back to school and get my BA, complete with books and tuition, fell into my lap. I jumped at it.

My favorite aunt, favorite uncle and mom were still alive.

jessisaokay
11-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I was a sophmore in high school, had a new boyfriend and first real job, was 6 months out of the eating disorder hospital and in the beginning stages of what would become a 130 pound weight gain.

Iconised Ghost
11-19-2008, 03:19 AM
i was at high school, 16, probably just finished my end of year exams and dreading going into my final year :dizzy: and with good reason too, it didnt turn out to be as cruisy as i wanted :dizzy:

joyra
11-19-2008, 06:45 AM
* Just moved to a college town to start my Master's
* Probably weighed about 140 lbs
* Lived in a really shady apartment that I hated with people I didn't know
* Started DJing at a college radio station and met some of my favorite people ever
* Very single
* About to start a bad depression that would last 2.5 years.
* Was really into being a vegan (unsuccessfully)

My updated life: Still not done with that Master's! Hope to finish next fall. Moved overseas, live with my boyfriend of 2 years. Been mostly not depressed for 2.5 years. Still friends with many people from that radio station. It was a bright spot in an otherwise trying time in my life. Still not vegan. :)

amyjade
11-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Wow 5 years ago...
I was 22
Had a fanatstic Job in London, was living life to the max, drinking and partying way too much......but hey i was working damn hard.
Just met my now Husband, who was suppose to be a few nights of fun, as i had no intention of settleing down and getting married......
Weighed a lot less
Had blonde hair (not a good look)
Living with my parents, no bills, no responsability...god i miss those days.

Ruthxxx
11-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I can tell you exactly what I was doing as I keep a journal and have for the past ten years. I was suffering from a case of the "runs" which I know was nerves as I waited to hear whether or not I got the part in "The Vagina Monologues"....and I did! I also did pet therapy that day and drove to town in the pouring rain for groceries.

MindiV
11-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Five years ago was November 2003. Wow.

I was 22 years old and in my next to last semester of college, working on a degree in journalism at a school in east Texas. My immediate family members were all alive, I was dating a loser who has THANKFULLY been long gone for years now.

KimL1214
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I was 19, in my sophomore year of college, looking at my last time in onederland. I will get there again!!!

techwife
11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
<sniff> I was at home writing a romance novel while my son hung out with me on the couch and watched Dora the Explorer and played on the living room floor. then we'd saddle him up in his stroller or sled and walk to the post office and pick up my daughter, who was in elementary school around the corner, and come home and hang out. Now, my daughter is in hockey, my son is in second grade and I own my own hair salon and I'm never, ever home anymore. My son is in the principal's office all the time and my daughter is seeing a therapist for agoraphobia and my husband lives 4 hours away in Buffalo because we can't afford to move our whole family there.

I miss the simple days when I could grocery shop when I wanted and keep my house up. Now everything's a crazy mess.

Amy8888
11-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I was teaching at a small college in a different state and procrastinating on finishing my dissertation (I finally finished a year and a half later). My boyfriend and I were long-distance at the time, and I was pretty sure he'd propose soon (he did). I was looking forward to seeing him at Thanksgiving, I'm sure! And I was "skinny" and able to make dieting and exercise a priority due to my flexible schedule and not having to feed an entire family.

Ija
11-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Five years ago I was a recent college grad living in Cleveland, OH, and working in a lab. I had moved back home with my parents, and at the time was also close to my heaviest weight, which was at least (but likely a little more than) 286 pounds.

luvja
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
5 years ago I was in Grade 12 I guess... Wow, I can't believe that was 5 years ago!. I was head over heels in love with a gay man, hung around the wrong crowd, but I remember being happy... very happy. Happy memories.

PhotoChick
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
It's threads like these that make me realize how old I really am! :D

cher37
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
It's threads like these that make me realize how old I really am!

..oh come on...you`re not THAT old!! LOL!!!

5 yrs ago, wow! 5 yrs ago, I was travelling 4.5hrs a day to work, trying to get in every hour of overtime to make ends meet while hubby was trying to get his business off the ground ... big drama with friends ... & 185lbs.

boy am I glad that`s all behind me!!!

Piiper33
11-19-2008, 10:47 AM
5 yrs ago I was working at a crappy factory, hating every minute of it. I was 2 yrs into my relationship with my boyfriend living in a much smaller apartment. My father was alive but we still weren't speaking. And I was a good 50 lbs heavier, acting like I didn't care.

PhotoChick
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
..oh come on...you`re not THAT old!! LOL!!!Heheh. Feeling older by the day.

:)

Shannon in ATL
11-19-2008, 11:07 AM
This thread makes me realize how old I am, too... :)

Five years ago... hmmm...

I was living in a two bedroom apartment with my cat, I was two years divorced from my alcoholic ex-husband, I was taking yoga and kickboxing four nights a week because I had a desperate crush on the woman who taught the classes. I also drank way too much Starbucks - the previously mentioned woman was the morning barista... Talked my boss into a laptop so I could work out in the field, code for using the WiFi at Starbucks to flirt... :)

I worked for a restaurant franchisee, in 2003 I was doing payroll, accounting, HR, training, cash register support, you name it, I did it. I was out in the restaurants a lot... I was already talking on the phone pretty regularly to DH, who was married to someone else at the time, moving towards divorce (totally unrelated to me, by the way! :) )

Wow, sounds dramatic when I write it all down. ;)

BarbPA
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm with PC....this thread is making me feel a little old. :p

Five years ago...
I had no children...now I have 2 amazing boys we adopted from Guatemala.
Both my parents were living...Lost my mom in '05 and dad in '06.
Same job...still love it.
Same house....still love it.
Drove a Nissan Maxima...now I'm a mini-van mom.
Was about the weight I am now...the first two things caused a lot of emotion, stress and weight gain.

Moonlight Mistress
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Five years ago I was 20 years old. I was still dating my ex and living in my hometown at my grandma's house. I was working at Wal-Mart and in my second year of college. I drove a Neon (worst car ever!!!).

I think that's about it...

MonteCristo
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
5 years ago I was a freshman in college. Let me tell you, it was a HUGE culture shock going from homeschool to college.

nelie
11-19-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm trying to remember. My timing is off so I'm not sure. I had been living in Colorado for about a year after moving from California. I think I had just started a relationship with a long time friend of mine. I was trying to keep the relationship from my family. I had also just bought a townhome and moved into it.

Uhh and I'm married now and its not the guy I was dating 5 years ago :)

happy2bme
11-19-2008, 01:24 PM
5 years ago...

Still smoking.

Weighed alot less.

Loving my work from home job and the work I did.

Living in my hometown surrounded by friends and family.

Totally unaware that my world would turn upside down the following year.

Ufi
11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow, great question. I went back and dug out my diary, and it was a revelation.

Five years ago, I was crying because the guy I lived with decided he didn't want Thanksgiving at his house after all and I had to tell the people I'd invited that I couldn't host it. Now, I live alone, and I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Five years ago, my biggest fear was that I would end up alone for the rest of my life. Now, I would rather be alone than be disrespected, and the loneliness I feel from time to time seems like something I can manage.

Five years ago, I was starting to read "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" to stop binges that could include thousands of calories at a sitting. I wrote this in my diary: "I feel a bit hopeless and silly with my compulsive eating plan, but I do want to follow it and to succeed. I want to believe this program will work, even though I've spent years struggling and not had things work. I want to be healthy. I want to believe it is possible." Today, I cannot remember the last time I binged, and I feel confident I will be thin even if it takes a long time.

Same city. Same job. Different me.

meldogml84
11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
5 years ago I was 19. In a horrible relationship. And in college having the time of my life!!!

Shopaholic1204
11-20-2008, 02:14 AM
Hmm..5 years ago I was 18, newly engaged and living in Phx with my mom. My bf (now my hubby) was stationed in San Diego..so I was on the phone with him during the week days..and spending the weekends with him. My world pretty much revolved around my mom & my bf, lol.

lizziep
11-20-2008, 02:14 AM
wow interesting threat. i kind of feel like nothings changed in 5 years. i was 23, already married, living in a place i didn't like, i hated my job, my family was still in the states.

now- i'm still married, i live in a different place that i also don't like, i have had two other jobs since that one and i hate the job i have now too lol. the biggest and hardest change for me is my family moving away.
i'm a little bit fatter now - i've probably lost and gained the same 50 lbs or so over that time frame. oh and i no longer get carded in bars which upsets me!

PearFreak
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Me... I was getting ready to meet my second born. Nerves, and happiness all wound together.

BrandNewJen
11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
5 years ago I would be jusssssst about to turn 21 (my bday is 12/4) I was living in a dorm at college, was happily into my 2nd year of relationship with my now-husband. I was working PT at my college, PT at another job, and doing a 10 hour a week internship for school. My friends had graduated or moved out of the dorms and most of my time was spent with my boyfriend... and gaining weight... and eating buffet dorm food...
(I gained 80 pounds in the first 3 years of being with my hubby/boyfriend... youch... needless to say, I did a LOT of eating back then!)

Thighs Be Gone
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Getting ready to deliver my child--five years ago next week.

mazza
11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Wow - these are all interesting, everyone - thanks for sharing, keep them coming:)

Gela
11-24-2008, 07:54 AM
5 years ago I was a newlywed being married for 6 months to DH. I was also a new RN and was in a stressful workplace. I ate to cope with the stress. I wasn't my highest weight yet but it was trending up. Looking back I let life pass me by because of the stress. I was overall happy then but I'm in a much better place now. I've since bought a nice home, adopted a wonderful doggie and have the best job ever. My husband and I are both happier and healthier for sure.