Support Groups - Reluctant Exercisers Support Group #2

MonteCristo
11-18-2008, 08:35 AM
It is time to roll into a new thread for the Reluctant Exercisers Support Group. For those of you who are not familiar with this group, I've included the original post by our founder, Shay.

Hi everyone,
I've been debating on starting this group for several reasons. One I was really trying to think of an appropriate name. I don't hate exercise. I dread it. I know it is important and all of the wonderful benefits it provides, blah, blah, etc but motivating myself to do it is difficult. I wouldn't term myself a couch potato because once I get going I love it so finally I came up with "Reluctant Exercisers". Second I was trying to think of where to post. Not the fitness forum because they are exercising over there. Then I thought of the Chicks Up for a Challenge section but then thought I didn't think it really fit. So...decided to make it a support group because that is what I am looking for. Also I was thinking do I want to start another thread but then had to admit I spend a lot of time on 3FC because it is my 24/7 support group so I can keep up with it.

So here we go...anyone that is having difficulty motivating themselves to exercise please join me on this quest to really stop talking about it and doing it.

So, if that describes you, this is the place for you. Welcome!!

Shopaholic1204
11-18-2008, 12:33 PM
That sounds like me..can I join?

offmyfranny
11-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm in! Like you, once I get going, I like it well enough, but starting is so hard!

MonteCristo
11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Welcome Shopaholic1204 and offmyfranny!

Shopaholic1204
11-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks!!

offmyfranny
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks!

MonteCristo
11-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure if I mentioned this previously, but I started a new exercise regime a couple weeks ago. I walk for an hour (about 3 miles), then I do pushups and situps. Right now I'm at 60 situps and 30 pushups. I don't do them all in a row right now. Usually I do the situps in sets of 20, and the pushups in sets of 6. I haven't missed a day yet this week!

Shopaholic1204
11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Wow..thats great. So far I've only been walking with my hubby. Although, now that its sooo freakin cold outside..I dunno if we'll stick with it.

offmyfranny
11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
You could do like me and walk/job in front of the tv. I tape General Hospital and watch it at night when the kids go to bed and I jog through it. I know it sounds silly but it's better than not moving at all, right?

But for some reason, it doesn't seem like "real" exercise. Maybe that's how I'm able to actually DO it every day. lol.

cher37
11-19-2008, 01:24 PM
wow! what a fluke finding this thread! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! :hug:

about an hour ago, I wanted to post something like this but I wrote it down instead, so now I'll share:

"why does it have to hurt to burn calories & fat? & why is it so hard to get motivated to move and to keep on moving?"

this morning, I swear I procrastinated do my BL workout for 2hrs!!! I just surfed here, did some reading, drank my water, was already dressed to exercise, but did I do it? nooooo - of course not! now that the workout's done, do I have a sense of satisfaction that I did it? n-o-p-e. Now I'm supposed to be taking the dog out for her walk, & I know that once I get out the door, it'll be all good, but it's a matter of having a quick shower & change clothes. I guess I'm just tired-I didn't sleep well last night. this sounds awful, but maybe my motivation for finishing the walk will be a nap before my son comes home from school.

generally, I love exercise, being outdoors. going to the gym? not for me. been there, done that, many times. I guess I just want to sweat in private :dizzy:

ok - there's my rant - thank you for "listening"

Cheers ladies & I've got to get moving :D

MonteCristo
11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
cher37 - Welcome to the group. Sometimes I feel that way about exercise (usually about every three months), but it is slowly but surely becoming more "normal" to exercise, then to not. I will not exercise in a gym. I would be totally intimidated. I walk either around my neighborhood, or in inclement weather, on the treadmill.

Shopaholic - I'm sure you'll be able to find something else to do as exercise if the weather gets too bad. For the first 3-4 months of my weightloss my only exercise was marching in place while watching Dvds of old tv shows.

offmyfranny - It really makes exercise less of a chore when you are being entertained at the same time. If I use the treadmill, sometimes I'll watch old tv shows, but most of the time I listen to audiobooks. I've tried music, but the music that I enjoy doesn't seem to fit right with exercising, and I get all out of sync.

Shopaholic1204
11-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Well..I have WATP..so I could probably do that. Except I have no idea where they are. Maybe my thing should be unpacking, lol. Been here since Sept and still havent unpacked, lol. That should be some exercise right?

MonteCristo
11-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Shopaholic - Sure, unpacking is definitely exercise! ;)

Yesterday I walked 3 miles, did 60 situps, and 30 pushups. So far so good!

MonteCristo
11-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I did my standard exercise yesterday; 60 mins walking, 60 situps, & 30 pushups. Mom & I went to the range for some target practice, and it was FREEZING, so we probably burned a bunch of extra calories just trying to stay warm!

MonteCristo
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Friday, Saturday & Sunday, I did the same exercise; 60 mins walking (3 miles), 30 pushups & 60 situps. This week I'm increasing to 75 situps & 35 pushups.

MonteCristo
11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
:kickcan:

miriam101
11-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Well well well
And here I'm womdering why I'm not getting any updates form the reluctant exercisers group - as I have what to add :)

I have been trying to walk nearly every day - and my mom bought me JM 30 day shred - which I'm excited to start - but procrastinating fr the weirdest reason - I am going to the states next week, and I don't want to be sore on a 12 hour flight, hahahahaha

You look like you're doing great, Monte! How's the eating and weight going?

miriam101
11-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Hey disruntled - you sound like you're doing FANTASTIC!!!!! I get awfully sore after doing lunges, for like - 3 days, lol.

I did my walk for today - woohoo....

miriam101
11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Did my walk yesterday - an hour and a quarter!

And - I got a good number on the scale! Maybe tomorrow will give me even another good number - another half a pound and I'll be in the 130's!!!!

MonteCristo
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm back.....I don't get on the internet much at home, but I've really missed this site!!

It looks like I haven't posted in a while, so I'll do a quick recap. Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday I walked 3 miles, and did 75 situps & 35 pushups. Thursday, Friday & Saturday I walked 6 miles, plus did 75 situps & 35 pushups. Sunday I did the same as Wednesday. For this week I'm staying with 3 miles walked and 75 situps, but I'll be increasing my pushups to 40.

My eating has been good (except for Thurs, Fri & Sat of this week). I've not really lost any weight in the last few weeks (just 1/2 pound), but I think this next week is going to show a nice drop. I can just feel it! :D.3

Disgruntled - It sounds like you are doing great. I HATE lunges, and I absolutely refuse to do them. ;)

Miriam - I'm glad you found us again!

MonteCristo
12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Monday I walked 3 miles, did 40 pushups & 75 situps. Yesterday I walked 4 miles, did 40 pushups & 75 situps. I've been having a sharp pain in my lower abdomen when I do the pushups & situps and I finally figured out why. Apparently when I do the situps, I jerk myself up from that spot, and it is just getting really sore. Kind of makes me feel stupid, but I'm relieved that it is nothing serious.

MonteCristo
12-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Wow, this thread is busy! How can I keep up? ;)

Okay, even though I haven't been posting, I have kept up with my exercise. Still haven't missed a day. I've been walking 3 miles a day, and now I'm up to 50 pushups and 100 situps. I just signed up for Jillian's website, so I'll be starting her exercise circuits Saturday. I plan to keep up with my walking, and definitely with the pushups & situps, so hopefully that will jumpstart back my weightloss.

miriam101
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
WTG Monte - I did TONS of walking etc. while in the states - and since I've been back - laziness and jetlag have been hampering my exercise attempts...

bluejay
12-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi, all!

Like some of you have said, I love exercising when it's outdoors -- walking, carrying in wood at my folks (or my old place).... anything like that is a joy. I used to like to exercise and push myself, too. But since my two youngest ones were born -- and now they're elementary school age and I'm homeschooling -- it's hard work to even get a minimal amount of steps in during the day! :o Small house, sitting during school time, standing at the sink for dishes... same old story, you know? And now the added weight, tire quickly, etc. :o :nono:

So I'm going to start simple... I'm going to start by upping my activity/steps during the day. Once I've got a steady habit there, I'm going to add on something else.

I've put my mini-trampoline in my bedroom. It's a small room, so the m-t is usually on its side unless I'm using it. But the past couple days I've left it in place (except for night -- don't want to trip on it in the dark, LOL). Whenever I go into the room for anything during the day, I make myself get some extra steps in on the m-t before leaving the room.

MonteCristo
12-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Okay, so I've done two days of Jillian's circuit training. It is tough, but not too bad, and my quads are really sore today. Good thing it is a "rest" day! I'm still walking 3 miles and doing my pushups and situps, so it is really just a rest from Jillian!

I think I'm going to have a get a few more pieces of exercise equipment. I don't have room for a bench, so I was planning on getting a step, which can double as a bench for flies & stuff. I'm also going to get some resistance bands. I've now gotten to the point in my pushups where my wrists starting hurting before I'm wore out, so I'm going to try and find some kind of gloves/wrist bands to help with that. Does anyone know a good wrist strengthening exercise?

bluejay - Great start! Every added step is a major victory!!

Miriam - I hope you had a good visit. It must be great to be back home, even with the jetlag. Now you just have to kick yourself back in gear! Are you getting ready for the new challenge?

miriam101
12-23-2008, 05:31 AM
Hey Monte - I don't know any good exercises for anything, LOL
I went for a walk for 1 1/2 hours last night - with a backpack on - - thought I'd wake up awfully sore today - but no!! Just a tad - which means I'm in better shape than I thought! My weight has been so-so - I'm kinda stuck at 142.8, but I'm trying to keep focused. I had a fantabulous time in the USA - really.

Welcome Bluejay - good luck on upping the steps - you can do it! You've lost 20 lbs already - wowzers!! :)

MonteCristo
12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
I got some of those wrist wraps that you use when you have an injury, and it made a HUGE difference! Too bad I didn't think of it sooner.

I'm really looking forward to my looong weekend. Today is my last day for the week!! :woohoo:

miriam101
12-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey Monte - Glad to hear about the wristbands - I'm sure they['ll have a positive impact on your exercise!

Have a great weekend - and happy holidays!

bluejay
12-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Good morning, everyone!

MonteCristo - I found this on exercising wrists. Hope it helps!
http://www.wikihow.com/Strengthen-Your-Wrists
I also saw some discussion of this in racquet sport and golf discussion forums. Adding those terms to a wrist exercise google-search might be worth a try.

So.... my husband surprised me this week. In an absolutely-unlike-him day, he offered to rearrange the basement to make an exercise area for me, complete with a small TV in front of the treadmill. Was I in shock!! He absolutely hates, hates, hates it when I need his help to rearrange furniture..... and he never volunteers to do any of this stuff! And for him to suggest it and say "let's do it today" out of the blue like that.

So, do you think it's because I've been asking him to move my (heavy) treadmill upstairs to the bedroom so I can look out the window, watch TV, have easy access to it, etc? :lol: He r-e-a-l-l-y didn't want to help me carry it upstairs! :lol:

MonteCristo
12-27-2008, 10:55 AM
bluejay - Thanks for the exercise tips. That is really awesome that your husband would volunteer to help you out like that! Even if his motivation may not have been entirely selfless!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! Hurray for the new year!!!

miriam101
12-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Bluejay- yea for the new family gym!! :)

I want to start the 30 day shred this week.

Shay
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi Monte & Miriam--I am happy to see this is still going despite me totally dropping off this site. I'm back and started exercising again last week. I did 3 days.

Shay
01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Today I am supposed to do this 18 minute run/walk interval I got either from Self or Fitness mag that Jillian Michaels developed. I like it. Also I plan to do my initial test for the pushup challenge.

Shay
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I did my walk/run intervals. I did the initial test for the push up challenge and was able to complete 23 girl pushups.

Shay
01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
I did a bootcamp at 6am this morning. It was good.

HoneyMustard
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I joined this group last year around August. Shame it had languish for so long!

I myself am back and at it again, but not as hard as last year. I'm back on my treadmill, and trying to walk 3 miles, 2-3 times a week.

Yesterday-Walked 3 miles, up a 3% grade

I hope to keep posting here to stay accountable. Please, please post some encouragement and/or join me!