Exercise! - Staying warm in the pool

View Full Version : Staying warm in the pool

pmhlb
11-17-2008, 05:26 PM
I am fortunate to have a nice pool in my building, but find the tempature to be too cool. (The tempature can't go higher.) Rather than shiver through my 40-50 minute swim, I thought that wearing a wet suit would keep me warm and thus encourage me to swim more often.

Well, when I went out to buy one, the folks in the diving shops either giggled or ignored me. (Okay, so I am short and chubby; isn't there anything in my size?) I finally browsed through the stuff myself; everything was only for very slim people!

I could make my own suit, I guess, but would rather buy something. Any ideas on how I can solve this problem? Also, will wearing lycra from head to toe suffice -- or do I need some sort of thermal fabric? Also, is it better (warmer) if the fabric is tight against my skin? The temperature in the pool is about 27 degrees celcius (80F).

PhotoChick
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Order one online.

Lycra won't keep you warm in the pool. If you want a wetsuit that keeps you warm, you'll need to get one made of neoprene and neoprene is nearly impossible to sew with unless you have specialized equipment. (I've made camera bags and lens holders out of neoprene before - it's a nightmare to work with on a regular sewing machine.)

2fat2bphat
11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a 'snot-shop' you went to. What a shame. I took up scuba diving a few years ago, at size 16, and was able to get into a wet suit. (also when diving, and the 'urge to go' struck, I was able to go to shore, undo it, pee, redress, and continure with the swim. We were 'fined' if we peed in the suit. I chose to be never fined! LOL!!!) If not a full body suit, what about just a wet-suit shirt? Or wet suit shorts style? Find a reputable scuba shop. "chubby" status should have no problem getting a suit to fit.