Weight Loss Support - Unhealthy Relationship w/ Food

View Full Version : Unhealthy Relationship w/ Food

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Ok, so the other day I was accused by someone of having an unhealthy relationship with food. That really made me think about the way that I eat and how I think of food. here is what I came up with.....

Don't we all have an unhealthy relationship with food? I mean, seriously, if we didn't we wouldn't all be overweight & trying to regain a health lifestyle right? What leads to being overweight in the first place, not all the time, but a lot of time? An unhealthy relationship too food right? Is there anyone here who doesn't think they have an unhealthy relationship too food?

It really bothered me that I got ganged up on & told about how "unhealthy" I am with food. But I don't think I'm alone in possibly having an unhealthy relationship with food. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see if I am the only one who feels they might have an unhealthy relationship with food. :(

cartp
11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
For me FOOD is my comfort , my friend.It takes care of me when I am sad and when I am happy. And any other emotion I can think of.
If I am mad at my husband ,I punish HIM by eating.
His idea of love is to feed me.
No wonder I am fat.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
His idea of love is to feed me.
No wonder I am fat.

:( That is no good! He does it out of love I'm sure, my husband used to do the same thing. But I had to make him realize that feeding me is no longer a way to show love. I'm really dedicated to this weight loss this time and one of the most important things for me to do is to make people around me realize that feeding me, is not a good thing. I think they all got on board because I had my birthday Oct 5, and no one got me a cake! Not because they don't love me or didn't want to celebrate, but because they knew I wouldn't want to eat cake. :D

KimL1214
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
My relationship with food is that of which if I am not thinking about what I am going to eat, I am thinking of how I am going to keep myself from eating. Not exactly a healthy relationship...

JulieJ08
11-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I think we all obviously had something out of whack if we were obese. The important thing is to always be getting better. It's a real pleasure to realize food has become a friendly part of your life instead of being the enemy. But long-established habits can take a while to fully change - I think as long as we are open-minded and honest with ourselves (and those things can be hard!), we can also be compassionate with ourselves as we make big changes in our lives. :hug:

I think it takes a lot of courage to put it out there and face something that's difficult and full of uncertainty.

raw23
11-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Okay, since the thread was (understandably) closed, I'm going to do some copy & pasting and maybe help you see why some people think you have an unhealthy relationship with food (btw, here's the link:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156240&page=2) :

Quoted from Extasee:

"I hate calories. :-( I tried to have a pb sandwich once with my daughter & I almost DIED when I saw the calories for that little of a serving."

"Hey I've brought them up from less then 750 to around 1100 on most days, that's good! I am putting in effort to eat more, even though it goes against what I "want" to do."

"Holy Crap 1700! You can not be serious?! Does anything else think PhotoChick is CRAZY! I eat 1300 and I'm like, wow I did really good today eating A LOT of food! I'm usually so full I want to vomit on days I reach 1300, I felt like I'd been eating all day long!"

Other posts by Extasee from other threads:

I realized I was kind of getting an unhealthy obssession when it got to the point where everytime I could feel food in my stomach, you know that "full feeling" you get, I would throw up what I had just ate. Even if all I had a was a chicken salad.

I have been making every attempt to change that habit and have now went 3 weeks without purging after I eat. I was close last night, I had a weight watchers meal and a grilled cheese on wheat/ no butter and felt SO FULL! I wanted to go get rid of it, but stopped myself and didn't.

I don't know... The whole not getting enough calories is unhealthy thing still kinda confuses me. i just smile & nod when you guys talk about it. :-) hahaha!

It took us weeks to convince you to eat more than 500-700 calories a day and still you struggle to make it to 1200 - you called PhotoChick crazy for recommending a very healthy 1700 calories. You admit to struggling with bulimia.

So, you see why some people think you might have an unhealthy relationship with food (or in all seriousness, possibly a eating disorder) - because you talk like you do. No one said they dont have a unhealthy relationship with food, most of us at some point all have. Although many on this site have accepted healthy lifestyles.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think you really need to get a solid understanding about what your eating and what it's doing to your body. Get some books from the library or do some research on reputible websites (mayo clinic is a good start). And please come to grips with the fact that calories a not bad. They are life sustaining and necessary.

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. And I truly wish you success on your weight loss journey.

rockinrobin
11-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I would probably agree with you that most overweight people have an unhealthy relationship with food. Of course there are always exceptions,

But I can surely tell you that I most DEFINITELY had (pretty sure I still have in fact, even after losing 165 lbs, although it's under control now for the most part) an unhealthy relationship with food.

I ate food in excess. I abused food. Period. I overdid it. Food was my "go to" thing. When I was sad, bored, lonely, tired, stressed, angry, mad, happy, excited - whatever. I ate more food then my body needed.

JamieJo
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I get teased constantly at work when I'm not on the band wagon of the other "bad" foods that are brought in. They say I'm "no fun" when "I'm dieting." and they always tease me when I'm eating something....it is very frustrating....It gets very annoying...

Thighs Be Gone
11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes, I also have a history of having an unhealthy relationship with food. I lived to eat..not the other way around.

Anytime someone points the finger at you there are MORE pointing back at them. Whether on a blog or in life, it seems like it's the same folks pointing fingers again and again.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
I :val2: JULIEJ... :hug:

I didn't want this thread to be turned into something about me... So please don't, you all said your piece and I read them, even though by the time I did the thread had been closed and I didn't get to respond. I really want to know how other people feel about their relationship with food. I honestly think it's silly to point the finger at one person when honestly, we all have unhealthy relationship with food. Why is it when someone posts about binging, they get words of ecouragement and told to just get right back on & keep going forward. However, if someone posts about having the opposite problem, eating what some consider too few calories, they are ripped apart? I'm thinking that this is a double standard & doesn't help anyone. Every single person on here is here for support with weight loss and I don't think it's right of anyone to treat people the way some of you have. I understand that what people say is meant to teach & encourage people, but I believe there is a right way & a wrong way to say things to people.

I really want to understand how all you guys feel about food... Whether it's unhealthy in a sense that you binge on food or unhealthy in a sense that you are now scared of food because food is what has led you to 300 lbs or whatever you are... :D

Thighs Be Gone
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Also wanted to add--I have no knowledge of the aforementioned thread and am not interested in reading it. I am only making a general observation. Negative NRG isn't likely to do anyone any good though especially in regard to weight loss.

raw23
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Anytime someone points the finger at you there are MORE pointing back at them.

Yes, most of us have had an unhealthy relationship with food at some point, which is why it's so easy to spot in other people and why so many of us just want to help those who are struggling in the same positions we were in. It doesn't necessarily mean we still have that unhealthy relationship.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I get teased constantly at work when I'm not on the band wagon of the other "bad" foods that are brought in. They say I'm "no fun" when "I'm dieting." and they always tease me when I'm eating something....it is very frustrating....It gets very annoying...

Isn't that super annoying? Why do people do that! It's so hard for people to grasp the fact that we are trying to eat "healthy" and just because we opt out of food that they are eating doesn't mean we are "no fun!"

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Negative NRG isn't likely to do anyone any good though especially in regard to weight loss.

:bravo::cp: AMEN TO THAT!

Thighs Be Gone
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
JamieJo, where do you get those Silver jeans you mentioned on the other thread? I need jeans so badly right now.

JamieJo
11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
WOO HOO! I'm excited that you are asking me about silver jeans....and seeing your height/weight, I promice that you will LOVE THEM!

I'll PM you. :)

raw23
11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Negative? Are you talking about me? Please show me what's negative about anything I've said here. I read that extasee was thinking that she might have a unhealthy relationship with food, and that she was bothered and felt like she had been ganged up on. I was showing her why people thought what they thought and trying to help her with her realization. Nothing I said was mean spirited or meant to be negative.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Silver Jeans? What am I missing? Do share...

Ija
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I had an unhealthy relationship with food for a long time, but I will say this... it took some tough love to get me on the right track. For a long time I resisted the wisdom of those around me because I was too stubborn and defensive to admit my problem, but at 290 pounds I couldn't ignore it anymore. Now I'm eating healthy, feeding my body what it needs to thrive, and feeling better than I ever have. And I think that's what everyone here wants, not just for themselves, but for everyone else as well.

JamieJo
11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Silver jeans is just a brand name jean that I live in. I have never found another brand name jean that flatters me the way they do. They are sold, I think exclusivly at Maurices, which I think may only be in the mid west. But you can order them online too. Just google Silver Jeans. I even bought my 55 year old Aunt, who is a bit overweight, a pair and she LOVES them. Now when she comes and visits me, we always have to go to Maurices for another pair. They run anywhere from 50 to 75 bucks and are very low cut. But are VERY FLATTERING on curiver body types. Can also check out Ebay for them too. I've bought some from there as well.

JayEll
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
So is this thread officially hijacked or not? ;)

Back to the original topic, I don't think everyone who is overweight has an unhealthy relationship with food.

I think that gaining weight is the body's "default setting" when there is plenty of food to be had. Throughout most of human history, people couldn't just go to a store and buy thousands of calories of food with a few bucks. Survival meant storing fat when food was plentiful, because a lot of the time it wasn't.

Now we live differently, and that's why food choices have to be conscious. Otherwise what else would stop you?

That said, I do think that plenty of people DO have unhealthy relationships with food, and not just overweight people. Food gets used for things it was never intended for. One of the mods here has something like this in her signature line:

"If hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution."

And that pretty much sums it up.

When someone who is obese or overweight begins paying attention to what they eat, it can look like obsession compared with how they used to be. But here's another good slogan:

"Obsessed" is what the weak and lazy call those who are "committed."

It's not obsession to simply pay attention.

But there are people who get obsessed with food, and that is unhealthy.

My 2 centivos.

Jay

mandalinn82
11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
I think one of the great things about moving away from an unhealthy, overweight lifestyle and toward a healthy, normal weight one is that doing so the right way involves FIXING an unhealthy attitude toward food.

I also think people here DO tend to call people out on unhealthy food attitudes, for several reasons. The primary among those is, at least personally, I've never seen anyone reach goal without developing an attitude that doesn't look at all food as the enemy. A stroll through the maintainers board will show you that most people here maintaining significant losses LOVE food. Love, love, love it. We eat it differently, but we don't fear it. I truly believe that long term weight maintenance requires fixing unhealthy food attitudes, so people here try to point out unhealthy attitudes when we can, so we can help others have real, long-term success.

I know that, when I was heavy, my attitude toward food was severely screwed up - I felt like eating was bad, did it anyway, and felt guilty (all the way up to almost 300 lbs). I had to change that attitude to lose, and now feel like I do pretty well on that front.

JulieJ08
11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I think it's interesting how many different ways there are to have an unhealthy relationship with food. I mean, we may see where somebody else is being unhealthy, but we may have a problem area that *they* don't.

And I think that's where the key to success lies (at least one of them! It's a multi-key door). Somebody else's magic bullet won't help you if it fixes a problem you don't have. So obviously you have to change things that are a problem for you. But it's a process. I've lost 50 pounds and I'm still learning so much, both in the forums, and just in listening to my body and mind.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 02:23 PM
And I think that's where the key to success lies (at least one of them! It's a multi-key door). Somebody else's magic bullet won't help you if it fixes a problem you don't have. So obviously you have to change things that are a problem for you.

That is so true, what works for one, may not work for another. It is a process that we each have to learn for ourselves. It's kinda like a calorie counter pushing their way down the throat of someone who is doing Atkins. What works for one may not work another. Leads me back to tolerance with people & their differences. Different things work for different people. But I guess we all do have unhealthy relationships with food. But that's why were here huh?

PhotoChick
11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Extasee -

Let me see if I can answer your question directly since I know I'm one of the people who you feel is "ganging up" on you.

You asked:
Don't we all have an unhealthy relationship with food?
You also asked:
Is there anyone here who doesn't think they have an unhealthy relationship too food?

I think that everyone on this board AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER had an unhealthy relationship with food. You're right. None of us would be here if we hadn't.

Part of being successful in losing weight and keeping it off is recognizing that unhealthy relationship and learning how to fix it.

So in answer to your 2nd question ... at this point in my life, I don't think I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I think that at this point in my life - and possibly for the first time EVER in my life - I have a very healthy relationship with food. I don't use it emotionally, I don't crave junk for the sake of junk, I don't eat just to eat. I don't cram every last bite into my mouth because it's there and it tastes good. I can eat one chocolate and walk away. I can drive past McDonalds w/out feeling like I'm missing out if I don't stop and get an order of fries. I love food for food's sake now. I love eating healthily. I love cooking veggies and knowing that I'm putting the best possible food in my body. Food is no longer an obsession with me - it's something to be enjoyed and savoured.

Ok, so that said:
There are LOTS of people here who still have an unhealthy relationship with food. ( I do believe that you are one of them - you have admitted yourself that you are scared of calories and afraid to eat a healthy amount of food.) But you are not the only person. And you are certainly not being singled out from anyone else on this site for your unhealthy relationship with food.

One of the benefits of being a part of this board is being able to draw on the wisdom and experience of those who have been there before. And especially those who have overcome whatever unhealthy relationship they have.

So when someone who has been there and overcome it - or when *many* people who have been there and overcome it - say to you that it appears that you have an unhealthy relationship with food, that is NOT meant to accuse you, gang up on you, slam you, pick on you, beat you up, or any of those other things. You're obviously here because you want help and support ... and that's what we're doing when we tell you what we see. We are supporting you ... telling you that in everything you are saying we see an unhealthy relationship with food and WE'RE HERE TO HELP YOU LEARN HOW TO FIX THAT.

It's not an accusation. It's not "ganging up". It's recognition from others who HAVE BEEN THERE and know how hard it is to move past that point.

And believe me, just because I have a healthy relationship with food now doesn't mean that I don't always have to be vigilant. I have to make sure that I don't fall back into that unhealthy relationship. I'm not perfect. No one here is perfect. (If we were, we wouldn't be here! :) ). But we all CARE. And we've all been through it. And we all want to help others overcome as well.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
One of the benefits of being a part of this board is being able to draw on the wisdom and experience of those who have been there before. And especially those who have overcome whatever unhealthy relationship they have..

That is exactly why I am here, just like everyone of us is here for that reason. I have learned so much from all you people here and I appreciate that. I wouldn't be down 35 lbs if it wasn't for 3FC, please don't think I take any of it or you guys for granted.

So when someone who has been there and overcome it - or when *many* people who have been there and overcome it - say to you that it appears that you have an unhealthy relationship with food, that is NOT meant to accuse you, gang up on you, slam you, pick on you, beat you up, or any of those other things. You're obviously here because you want help and support ... and that's what we're doing when we tell you what we see. We are supporting you ... telling you that in everything you are saying we see an unhealthy relationship with food and WE'RE HERE TO HELP YOU LEARN HOW TO FIX THAT. ..

I'm sorry, but I do believe you guys ganged up on me. There is a right way & wrong way to speak to people. And some people, not you in particular, crossed that line of offering advice & support to justpure nastiness. I just think that some people, again, not you, went way beyond what is reasonable for what you just described above. When you speak to people, you tend to always be respectful & do your best to not be condescending of others, that is not true for everyone. That's what I'm :mad: about. It's not that you guys offer advice, I love the advice I get here, if I didn't, I wouldn't come here. HOWEVER, some people find it approriate to belittle people & throw around all kinds of attitude & I just don't think that helps anyone. It doesn't help the person its geared toward and all it does it make you (again, not you) look like a fool. Like I said early, if someone comes here & says hey, I need help to stop binging, you don't just tell that person to stop shoving food in their face! There is a line between friendly advice & nastiness and I think that line was clearly crossed by at least 1 person.

I've told you before I appreciate all the advice you give me, I still mean that.:hug:

PhotoChick
11-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Is there anyone here who doesn't think they have an unhealthy relationship too food? I just went back and reread the thread and I have to tell you that I don't see any nastiness there. I see several women who are honestly concerned ... because they have followed your struggle with eating enough for a while now. I see several women who expressed in their threads that they cared and that they were worried and that, yes, they thought you had an unhealthy relationship with food.

And I think there comes a point where ... when someone tells you the same thing over and over and over again and you refuse to believe them ... that they go from being gentle with the words, to being a bit more blunt. :) I saw some of that. But I didn't see nastiness. At all.

I understand that it's hard to hear. :) And I suspect that - like many of us - you might really, deep down inside, know that it's true, but you're feeling very tender about it. And that's normal, too. :D

But I will be very truthful with you: As long as you continue to post that 1700 calories is an "insane" amount of food or that 200 cals in peanut butter is an "insane" amount of calories, people are going to continue to tell you that you're not eating enough. Not because they're "ganging up" on you, but because many of us have been there or at the other extreme ... and because we care.

Extasee58865
11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
I guess it's all about how read it then! I'm just saying, we all have bad relationships with food. Well, not all of us, cause some of you guys have gotten a handle on it, but a lot of us. :-)

raw23
11-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I plead guilty to being one of the blunt ones. After weeks on end it seems like we're going around in circles with this issue. I know you know my feelings so I don't go into huge explanations with you. I'll admit to not always being tactful, but I'm not nasty. I agree with PhotoChick, it seems like you're tender about this issue. I also truly care about you having a healthy lifestyle. I dont think there's anyone on this board who ever intends to say hurtful things. If you read something and are hurt by it, please address the issue immediately. Other wise no one will know you're mad/hurt.

CannieD
11-18-2008, 01:04 AM
PhotoChick, please share with me your journey from the dark side. I KNOW I have an unhealthy relationship with food and I am jumping around this site trying to find a definitive answer to help myself pull myself out of this hole. If there was something or someone that helped you get where you are, please help me.

Extasee58865
11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
PhotoChick, please share with me your journey from the dark side. I KNOW I have an unhealthy relationship with food and I am jumping around this site trying to find a definitive answer to help myself pull myself out of this hole. If there was something or someone that helped you get where you are, please help me.

Why do you say you have an unhealthy relationship? What do you think is your problem?

CannieD
11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I am all or none. I eat everything I can thinking tomorrow I will start eating healthy.....and then something happens and I don't get on the healthy track or I do and then a couple of days later someone brings cookies and I collapse and eat them all. So I'm off on a binge again for several days or weeks. I feel like an alcoholic who can't take that first drink or I am off the wagon. Do you notice how everything is centered around food.....it was easier to quit smoking. No one knows how much food I eat. At meals I do not eat a lot, it is all the stuff in between. I would be ashamed to see how many calories I consume in a days time. I just want to find someone who has battled this and can tell me where to turn when the eating beast rears its ugly head.

JayEll
11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Try posting with these Chicks:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64

They know a lot!

Jay

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Cannie ... my journey is the same as that of the many wonderful women on this board who have battled being overweight (and will continue to battle it the rest of our lives).

The difference for me is that I have never been a binge eater. I just ate the wrong things all the time. Even when I was eating "healthy" it was portion sizes that were too big and cheese sauce and so forth.

And how did I move past it? I wish there were some magic I could give you or tell you that one moment everything just changed, but it didn't. This is my "about" page on my blog ... maybe it'll answer some of your questions and maybe it'll help you. :)

Why I Started This Journey
I’m a photographer. My job involves 1 or 2 days a week of very strenuous physical work, and 3 or 4 days a week of sitting on my butt in front of a computer. I realized a couple of years ago that I was coming home from my 1 or 2 days of work and feeling like I got hit by a truck. Some weekends it would mean spending a day in bed recovering before I could get back to the office part of my work. Some days I’d come home crying because my feet, legs, and back hurt so much.

And I realized that I’m only 40 - if I want to keep doing what I’m doing for another 20 or 30 years, then I’d better get my a$$ in gear.

That really was my *primary* motivation. Yeah, I wanted to lose weight to look better - we all do and anyone who says that’s not some kind of consideration is fooling themselves. But primarily I realized that I wasn’t going to get to keep doing what I love if I didn’t get it together.

So that was my motivation for getting started - not as much to lose weight, because I’ve played the weight game all my life and yo-yo’d back and forth and I just figured I “couldn’t” lose weight. I just wanted to be in better shape and be able to do my job.

It wasn't until I'd been doing this for a while that I realized that the two went hand in hand. But more about that coming up.

My Philosophy: This Is My Life / Life Is A Journey
I think that a lot of people, when they first start to lose weight, sabotage themselves with the idea that they have to completely revamp their lives and that they have to do it all at once.

Now, I won’t lie - my life now is NOTHING like my life 2 years ago. And if you had told me 2 years ago that this would be my life, I’d have given up. I’d have said “I can’t do that” and just quit then and there.

Where I am now is the result of changes made step by step by step over that 2 year period.

When I first started, I had joined the gym because of my work … just wanting to be in “better shape”. Honestly, I had no idea what “better shape” even meant to me, except that I knew I wasn’t in shape and that it was affecting my ability to do my job. I thought I ate ok - not great but ok - but I wasn’t willing to give up my junk foods and my snacks and my “favorite things”.

So I went to the gym. And I worked out like everyone says to. Lots of cardio. Cardio until I wanted to throw up. And I kinda quit eating junk food, but I was always making excuses for why it was ok “today”.

Then, right after Christmas one year, I had some extra money and I thought I’d hire a trainer. It really was a whim and I had no intention of continuing working with him beyond my initial contract (4 weeks).

He started me training with weights - convinced me that girls could lift free weights and lift heavy weights. He nagged me about my nutrition and my protein and cutting carbs at night. Mostly I ignored him. I told him at one point if I wanted to be nagged about my meals, I’d call my MIL. Just teach me how to get fit. I had no frickin’ clue that “getting fit” was as much about nourishing your body as it was about lifting weights and doing cardio.

But slowly, slowly, slowly the changes crept in. He pushed me to add more protein to my diet and so I did - mostly to shut him up. And amazingly when I ate more protein, I wasn’t as hungry all the time. He nagged me to quit eating carbs at night and so I did for a few weeks (sorta) and realized I felt better.

I had to give up my trainer for travel and finance reasons earlier this year, but I still credit him with much of the inspiration that helped me to change.

After I stopped working with him, I started reading and learning more - focusing on nutrition more from an athlete’s point of view than from a dieter’s point of view. Because, mind you, I’d NEVER considered myself an athlete, so why should I pay attention to an athlete’s diet.

But what I read made sense to me. Not just from an athletic sense, but from a whole body sense. And it fit in with my desire to be more knowledgeable about what I ate and where it came from - to cut out chemicals, to eat more whole foods. I started reading books like Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food and The Omnivore’s Dilemma. I actually bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Me! I bought a book on weight lifting - and read it cover to cover.

All of this … was a sllloooooooowwww process. But one day I woke up and realized that I hadn’t had junk from McDonald’s in over 6 months. And I hadn’t had a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy’s in almost a year. And when I got home at night after going to the gym (!!) I wanted protein - craved it. And I didn’t want the normal snacky stuff that I used to - it just didn’t sound good.

And today … today I work out 4-6 times a week. I eat around 1500 calories a day, mostly veggies, complex carbs, and lean protein. I watch my macros and try to stick around a 40/35/25 split. I lift weights. I do squats and deadlifts with the olympic bar. I do benchpresses. I CRAVE movement. I CRAVE veggies and fruit.

And if you’d told me 2 years ago that I would be here today I’d have told you that you were smoking some serious crack.

Timeline
* Nov 2006 - 240 lbs - Joined a gym with a friend. Started doing cardio. Sorta kinda tweaked my diet, but not really. Decided to cut back on junk food and sweets, but not any other formal diet plan.
* Jan 2007 - 235 lbs - Hired a trainer, began weight lifting, started actually “dieting” by counting calories.
* April 2007 - 220 lbs - Began looking more seriously at my diet, eating more protein, fewer carbs. Began investigating nutrition more from an athletic perspective.
* June 2007 - 205 lbs - Contract with trainer ended. Continued working out on my own. Started more seriously with a clean eating/whole foods diet.
* Oct 2007 - 190 lbs - Realized for the first time exactly how much weight I’d lost. Had to go out and buy all new clothing. :)
* Feb 2008 - 178 lbs - The holidays helped me stall for nearly 3 months. In Feb I found 3FC and joined. I obsessively haunted the maintainers board and decided that maybe I had hit one of those “set points” and needed to just maintain a little and let my body readjust to being this new weight and size. So I raised my calories, played around with my workouts, took classes, tried yoga and Pilates, and stepped back from the weight lifting for a while.
* June/July 2008 - 172 lbs - Realized I was beginning to lose weight again, albeit slowly. (My guy visited from out of town, seeing me for the first time since Jan and told me I looked “****ing awesome” :) ) I continued to tweak, went back to weight lifting and cardio. At this point my diet is primarily clean/whole foods.
* Oct 2008 - 161 lbs - Still losing weight, but slooooooowly. At this point this is a lifestyle for me. I’d like to lose faster (wouldn’t everyone?) but I also am determined to live a lifestyle that I know I can support and maintain on. So I’m ok with only losing 3 or so lbs a month, if that’s what it takes.

CannieD
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Ok. I guess I see that it is not an overnight process. I need to take baby steps. Today my first steps are to eat a good breakfast and have some green tea (which I hear is good for your skin) and strive to eat meals that are healthy but I will not stress over the calorie content just the nutritional values. Thank you for your help in seeing Rome wasn't built in a day....that is easy to forget.

JulieJ08
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok. I guess I see that it is not an overnight process. I need to take baby steps. Today my first steps are to eat a good breakfast and have some green tea (which I hear is good for your skin) and strive to eat meals that are healthy but I will not stress over the calorie content just the nutritional values. Thank you for your help in seeing Rome wasn't built in a day....that is easy to forget.

Cannie, sometimes it takes a little practice to get the hang of focusing on short term goals, and even on just making one decision at a time (don't worry about whether you'll snack in the afternoon while you're making the decision to stay on plan at breakfast). Just keep trying, don't worry if sometimes you stress over future choices, just keep getting back on track. Then, after a while, you realize your mindset *has* changed, and it's a sweet feeling. Because it makes your life easier.

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
What Julie said.

One thing that has really helped me is logging my food. I log online at The Daily Plate (I htink it's now part of Livestrong.com), but even just writing down on a piece of paper would help.

Maybe just for a few days you should write down what you eat. Don't make an effort to change anything ... just write it down. And write down EVERYTHING. If you lick the spoon while cooking, write it down. If you have a bite of a friend's sandwich, write it down. And so on. After a few days of doing that, it'll give you a very clear picture of what you can cut out. And then you can make baby steps, as Julie said.

You can do it ... but just remember it takes time. :)

CannieD
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Julie, short term goals are a good idea. I guess one of my problems has always been that I have just set the long term ones....Getting to my goal weight by my birthday in July. No wonder I keep failing. I should set my short term goal for eating healthy today. Tomorrow set my short term goal to eating healthy that day and so on.

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Cannie - there's actually a challenge here on 3FC that has helped me a lot. It's the 5 lb challenge. Basically we all just work towards losing the next 5 lbs ... no long term focusing, no stressing about 100 lbs or whatever. Just 5 lbs at a time.

Come join us: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156128

Just jump in and post your starting weight (today) and your goal weight (5 lbs lower). The person who gets to their 5 lb goal first wins that round and they get to start the next thread. It's fun, it's a little bit of competition, it's a lot of support, and it breaks things down into nice manageable chunks.

:)

>

Extasee58865
11-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Julie, short term goals are a good idea. I guess one of my problems has always been that I have just set the long term ones....Getting to my goal weight by my birthday in July. No wonder I keep failing. I should set my short term goal for eating healthy today. Tomorrow set my short term goal to eating healthy that day and so on.

Cannie, that is a wonderful idea! In the beginning especially, you have to focus on the day to day. It gets too overwhelming if you look at it as well, I have to lose 100 lbs, or whatever you have to you lose. After a couple months or so of concentrating on the day to day, it will become habit, at which point it's easier to set more long term goals (maybe six months out). :D

CannieD
11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Going to start the challenge. I figure the more I participate on here the more reinforcement it will give me. Thank you

JulieJ08
11-18-2008, 01:00 PM

That's why I'm in love with the 5-pound challenges (Support Groups > Chicks Up For A Challenge). It makes it sooooo much easier to stop thinking about goals that are many, many months away and seem unattainable and discouraging. I always have a goal that is never more than 5 pounds away!