Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default My Thanksgiving Pledge

Keeping it simple and achievable: I'm not going to have seconds of anything particularly fattening, and when given the choice, it is pumpkin pie instead of pecan.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

My plan:

Run a 5K race in the morning (already signed up!).
I can have second helpings of veggies or turkey if I really want it, but single servings only of stuffing and taters.
1 slice of pie.

And lots of football
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #3  
No description available.

Ok. I love these pledges of yours, Anne, cause I benefit. I have been having too many off plan days. My Thanksgiving pledge is to be on plan each day between now and Thanksgiving, to run 5K in the am (hi Lori!!! too bad we're on opposite ends of the country!), after the 5K we are going to breakfast so I'll have my weekly fix of potatoes and chile, and we are having turkey dinner on Friday. I will exercise as usual all this week and next and will not go nutso at the turkey dinner.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Love it! I'm running 2.5K with DD that morning. We plan to tear up the children's race! She's faster than me, which is a little worrisome, but since we run by duck ponds, filled with actual ducks, I think I'll be OK!! To be 3 years old and confronted with ducks, oh the delight!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm having Thanksgiving dinner with DH's family on Saturday and with my family on Sunday. My plan is to stay POP the rest of the week and not to go over on my flex points on Saturday and Sunday. 1 piece of pie only and it will be pumpkin.. My WW weigh-in will be on Monday and I plan to be super careful to not show a gain.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We're signed up for a 5k turkey trot in the morning and I'm not making huge amounts of food. I'll do a large turkey as I want the leftovers, but everything else will be in portions equal to the number of people we'll have (6 or 7). Only one pie for dessert--crumb top apple.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

Next week we'll have our annual office Thanksgiving lunch Tuesday, then Thursday BF and I will go visit his family for their family "linner", and stay 1-2 nights with them. I'll be going to my parents house for Christmas, and since we always eat mostly the same meal for Thanksgiving/Christmas I'm going to just wait until then to really get my indulgent favorite holiday meal. My goal for both the lunch and dinner w/ BF's family isn't grand. Stick to turkey, no gravy, and non-creamy veggie sides, eat 1 plate only, and no desserts. I'm going to plan ahead and have a serving of Meg's Pumpkin Custard at home for the evening after the office dinner, so I can tell myself I get my pumpkin pie filling-like dish at home afterwards and don't need pie then. No guilt. (It's so delicious too!) And remember that each celebration is a meal, not a week!

Then I'll have to deal with traveling, but BF's family aren't huge foodies and also know/are fine with me being a healthy eater.

I've been on a great exercise bend lately, so my goal is to just keep that up as much as possible over the holidays. At home, shouldn't be a problem. When traveling, I'll always bring my workout clothes and work out as faithfully as possible.

Thanks Anne - I never had any Halloween candy at all! Sadly I've had a few pieces of Christmas candy so far, but I'm trying to stop that too.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh great idea. We have a Thanksgiving dinner this Friday (don't ask) and then another on the day itself. My plan for each is to eat only the shrimp appetizers (on T'day), to limit myself to only plate and one spoonful of anything starchy and/or creamy. I don't eat pie crust, and like Megan, I like a lf pumpkin dish I have a recipe for, so I'll skip dessert at both (unless like last year the actual day they have fresh stawberries, then I'll indulge). I'm not preparing either of these dinners, so I'll be playing it safe with tiny portions. I suspect that neither will have anything resembling a green salad.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #9  

Height: 5'1"

I'm making dinner, so that makes it much easier. I'll have the shrimp cocktail and then turkey, a baked sweet potato and roasted vegetables. None of the gooey stuff. If I decide i want dessert I'll have one very small piece. Usually my DDIL brings dessert and I can resist pie and cheese cake so hopefully it won't be a problem. I am making the jello with fruit and vegetable salad so I can have that too, with a dab of fat free cool whip. And I always make a vegetable tray.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #10  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

My pledge is to eat very mindfully and enjoy each bite. And go heavy on the (healthy!) vegetables.

Also, take off some of the pie crust.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

My pledge is to gag down one serving of crappy food. Unfortunatly, my family is obssessed with going to Ryan's Restaurant on Thanksgiving. I hate Ryan's and there food tastes like complete crap. Who wants pizza and dehydrated microwaved stuffing on Thanksgiving? My family forces me to go along and then when I eat 1/3 of a plate they all look and comment why I'm not eating anything. The desserts there are especially terrible.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 11-24-2008 at 12:11 PM.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My goal is to enjoy every morsel but only take what my body needs--give or take a serving of dessert.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

BENCHMARK>>>>>omg ...I so know Ryan's..do you mind me asking what state you are in..I am with you...I hate Ryan's! BARF
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

I live in VA but I'm going to SC for Thanksgiving. I don't get why my family loves that place so much. They don't go out to eat very often but when they do 50% of the times it's Ryan's they choose.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #15  

Ok, the plan is simple
It's a holiday meal not meals.
Only take a serving of the stuff I can't get any other time. I can eat mashed potatoes anytime, right? So turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry relish and green bean casserole.
One piece of pumpkin pie.
Two glasses of wine, tops.
A long walk or game of tag is in order after all this.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote