Veggie Challenged - Tips for a veggie hater?

View Full Version : Tips for a veggie hater?

schmalger
11-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone!

I am a super picky eater, and the biggest problem for me is vegetables - my sister is the same way. My mom told us a couple of years ago that she never fed us vegetables when we were really young, because she thought we were too young and wouldn't like them. (She regrets that now, of course. But she was a young mother going it alone.) So when she or other people would make us try to eat them when we were older, we hated them.

Right now, the only things I like/can tolerate are: lettuce, lentils, green beans, english peas, and whole kernal corn. Seriously...that's it. No broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, asparagus, olives, etc. I can occasionally tolerate: thinly sliced carrots, snow peas, and onions/celery (only if diced as fine as they can get and cooked in something).

Does anyone have any advice for us veggie haters? Is there a good way of incorporating veggies into the "diet" without feeling an urge to puke? (I can't even mask it with "healthy" salad dressing - I hate that, too. I told you I was picky!)

Or for fellow veggie haters: Has anyone overcome their aversion to veggies? Has anyone ever forced themselves to eat something for a prolonged period of time and eventually gotten used to it (perhaps even grown to like it)?

I want to overcome this, but I'm not sure how!

Thanks 3FCers!

WebRover
11-15-2008, 05:30 PM
First - congratulations. If you're asking this you've realized how important vegetables are and you've decided you're open to trying them.

There are many many vegetables out there to try and multiple ways to prepare them. One preparation many folks find they love is roasting. Cut different vegetables into about same sized pieces, sprinkle with a good oil, shake or turn them to coat with the oil, season or not, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet or large flat pan and cook in a hot oven (400 degrees F or 425). Shake them every ten minutes to turn. Remove when they're starting to brown a little bit. 20-30 minutes depending on how dense the veggies are.

Other preparations: steaming, stir frying (quick cooking in oil in a very hot pan), grilling (cut in thin "slabs", oil, grill 5-10 minutes per side), "shish ka-bob" (skewer, oil and grill - works for small roundish veggies like small tomatoes, mushrooms), stewing (low heat, long time), crockpot, and more. I also like vegetables that have been cooked then chilled with a light salad dressing. There's also raw with light ranch or blue cheese dressing as dip. Or plain. Cooked in soup or pureed. Also pureed and hidden in pasta sauce.

Try vegetables you haven't tasted before. If you didn't like a veggie steamed, try it stir fried. Keep trying. If you don't like broccoli florets, try the stems.

Good luck.

schmalger
11-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Thank you for the tips WebRover! I think I'll look into some recipe books, too, that will have specifics on the suggestions you mentioned. I'm a full-time student and work also, so it's been a while since I've really spent time cooking in the kitchen. So I'll have to do some additional research. I appreciate you taking the time for these suggestions - I hadn't even thought about trying the same vegetables, but cooking them in various different ways.

On another note - sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. I didn't even realize there was a "Veggie Challenged" forum! This place just keeps getting better!

rockinrobin
11-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Oooh, I agree with WebRover.

There are TONS of veggies out there. And oodles of ways to make them. I urge you to experiment with different veggies and methods of cooking them. Roasting is PHENOMENAL. We live on roasted green beans here, with garlic and onions and sea salt. Yum. Cauliflower roasted with chilli powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic and onions. Butternut squash with sugar free maple syrup and cinnamon. I hated tomatoes until I started broiling them. Detested brussel sprouts until I started roasting them.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126111

It's got a load of excellent recipes.

zenor77
11-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Okay, so my food aversion was not a veggie, but you might find this encouraging...

I had hated coconut since I was a small child. I mean really hated it, to the point where if I accidentally ate any I would have to spit it out. This wasn't really a problem for me until I became an adult and started to really love different ethnic foods. Going out for Thai food became a problem. I then read somewhere that it typically takes a person (or child in the case of what I read) 100 times of tasting something to get used to it. So, I made myself try a little of it hear and there whenever the opportunity arose. I'm not sure when the shift came, but I make coconut curries almost every week now. I've even found that shredded coconut is good. What I'm saying is that tastes can change, if you keep an open mind and keep trying.

In regards to veggies, I think you should try them in different ways (different cooking methods.) I know many of my parents generation over cooked veggies to death and made them nearly inedible. Proper cooking and different cooking methods can really change the taste and texture of vegetables.

Good luck!

fdevine
11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
If you like soups, try tossing a little bit of spinach in. It just gives the soup good flavor and you don't really taste spinach. :)

I can't do that now because I'm on Coumadin for a blood clot and have to severely limit anything with much vitamin K. I miss my spinach. :(

schmalger
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks rockinrobin, zenor77, and fdevine! I've been checking out the veggie hater sub-group and have gotten some excellent ideas. I appreciate you all taking the time to reply to me, especially since a sub-group is already around for this exact same reason, and I just didn't realize it! Duh! And zenor77, thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad to hear that tastes can change for the better. I know when I was younger, for example, I love mayo. But at some point, I suddenly began hating it. Still do. But it's great to know that tastes can change the other way, too. It's encouraging that I may be able to try many many different veggies prepared different ways and at some point, just start liking it. Thanks again!

sessa555
12-09-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm doing MRC diet, and it calls for 12 oz RAW GREEN veggies a day and I HATE veggies. My lunch today was so insanely miserable. I had 4 oz lettuce, 2 oz celery and 2 oz cucumbers and I thought I was going to die. I made it through the celery by dipping it in my cottage cheese and 'destringing' it as I went, but the cucumbers almost killed me. The plain lettuce was a welcome relief at the end (though I can't imagine eating 12 oz a day of raw lettuce, either...that's over a bag of lettuce!). I can only use 10 spritzes of the salad spritzers for dressing, and nothing that contains salt, so the whole experience was horrid. It took me an hour to choke it all down. I WANT to like veggies, but so many of them taste like grass or dirt to me that it makes it very difficult. I think I'm going to suck it up and try the '100 times' idea to see if I can convince myself to like them. Ugh. I'm not a huge fruit fan, either, but at least I can manage apple slices without the skin and I really like melons.

WebRover
12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
If celery is one of the veggies you want to learn to like, you may want to buy celery hearts. You should not have so much of a problem with strings on your celery and the inner stalks tend to be more tender.

Lilly
01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I love dipping carrots, cucumbers, celery, or greenpeppers in lite ranch dressing. NOT the FAT FREE, but the lite by Hidden Valley. Yummy. I can't force myself to eat Broccli, even with cheese, yuck. Just the smell of it makes me sick. I love the smell of cooked greenpeppers, but I only will eat them raw. When I was a kid I HATED corn out of a can. My mom would make me eat it and the only way was to hide it in my mashed potatoes, that way I didn't really taste it, lol. I know I need to eat more veggies and fruits, but one of my issues with veggies, is you have to wash, cut, sometimes peel and frankly I'm too lazy for all that, lol. I love cucumbers that have been soaking in Italian dressing, that is really good. Same goes for greenpeppers. Ok, now I'm getting hungry!

Thighs Be Gone
01-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I love celery hearts dipped in egg salad (made with fat-free Miracle Whip and boiled egg whites)!

kelly315
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
If it's something you really want to incorporate on a larger scale, maybe try adding in just a little here and there. Try a variety of veggies, and eventually you may grow used to them even in larger quantities. For now, stick to the ones that you do like.

I think it's a myth that you have to eat mostly veggies to lose weight- I hardly eat them, myself and I'm happy with my success.

MISFIT
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
You can always try and hide 'em in a sandwich with wheat bread ;D My boyfriend is also a veggie hater, and that seems to be one of the only ways he'll eat them.

nelie
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
The way I started was by eating veggies I knew I liked in ways I liked to eat them.

I knew I liked tomatoes so I snacked on grape tomatoes. I knew I liked carrots so I snacked on baby carrots although I find whole carrots to be more tasty so these days I generally eat carrots I cut up. Baby carrots and grape tomatoes require zero prep time though. I also liked sugar snap peas which are another zero prep time food so I ate those. I live on canned tomatoes and use them in multiple foods I make from soups to casseroles and they are again it takes zero prep time to use canned tomatoes.

I don't think you have to eat veggies to lose weight but they do help in weight loss by being a filling food. I also believe someone who eats a variety of veggies is healthier than someone who doesn't as veggies contain so many vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber.

beerab
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
wow I can't imagine hating veggies- I LOVE veggies- in fact when I did my detox on the fat smash- I missed bread more than meat- I could live without meat.

My hubby is like this, he doesn't like many veggies, so what I do is introduce one at a time, and he's starting to like zuccini- I cook it in a tomato sauce (I'm sure you like spaghetti right?) and we eat it with chicken and brown rice and he actually likes it :D But I know he really likes corn, so once a week we will eat corn as a side.

Another thing he's starting to like is cooked green beans- I grill them with garlic salt and olive oil :D

Don't forget about spices! They can really enhance the flavor of foods for you :)

lol my sister and I can cut up a tomato- sprinkle a bit of salt on them and just eat them straight like that- YUMMMMMMM!

CruiseCAT
01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I love roasted vegetables. I'm eating veggies that I never would eat before; roasted brussel sprouts are simply yummy... who would thought???

uhgabyzinha
02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I can totally relate. I also consider myself "veggie challenged", but the bottom line is you just HAVE TO incorporate them. Just like you incorporate exercise, you need to learn to incorporate the veggies, and after a couple of months it won't feel so horrible, after all.

My tips:

I eat lettuce just like I would eat a tortilla: I use it to wrap things with, be it turkey breast and cottage cheese, or shredded chicken breast from a whole rotisserie chicken. Really works, specially if what you put inside of it is well seasoned and juicy.

Another thing is, "hide" the veggies in a dish. I like to buy ground lean turkey and brown it with tiny pieces of onions, tomatoes, shredded carrots, green bell peppers. I promise the veggies in this case will only make the turkey more tasty. And the good thing is they'll be in tiny pieces, ready to go to your mouth since they're already mixed in your protein. No picking here, though ;)

wendyland
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I didn't like veggies much growing up. My parents didn't eat many, either. It's taken years to get where I am now. I still don't like a lot, but I just stick to what I do like.

I used to hate broccoli. My ex would make me a stir fry with broccoli and other veggies. He told me to eat a piece with a different vegetable or food item that I did like. I would couple the broccoli with a carrot and could tolerate it better. Now, I eat broccoli steamed with olive oil and garlic. It's not my favorite food in the world, but sometimes I really like it. I also used to hate onions, but now they're my favorite. I personally like stir fried and roasted the best. I also like soups.

jillnicole03
02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I think definitely spices, and sauces help- by themselves are a little blah- but add some flavor, and BAM!

I like making all kinds of stir fry veggies (so easy) with your fav chinese sauce.

Or salad with a great salad dressing.

Or adding veggies to soups, or making a veggie based soup.

Priscatip
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree with the hiding of veggies - my boyfriend thinks he doesn't like vegetables, and he honestly thinks he's never tried a lot of them. He doesn't know that they are mixed into meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti sauce. My personal favorite is that he thinks he hates onions - I don't think there is a recipe in my repertoire that doesn't start with sauteing onions and garlic.
Before I was on a diet, ahem, excuse me, lifestyle change :), I introduced a lot of vegetables to him by wrapping them in bacon. If you used centercut bacon (only 30 cals a slice) it could still work out.

K8-EEE
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
One tip would be to visit a nearby farm or gardening co-op -- we are so far removed from the sources of our food and so accustomed to processed food!

Also so many of the veggies in the store are warehoused and not of great quality. If you taste fresh baby carrots that have just been picked....I just don't know how you could NOT like them! I have a veggie garden & my kids eat them like candy, and the little grape tomatoes too.

janann
02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
What if you got a juicer? I got mine from Ebay a couple of years ago and I use it all the time. One of my favorites is carrot-apple. Carrot is really sweet and mixes well with the apple.

Franki
04-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Veggies have made me gag since I was a kid. I hate them and its awful because I know how important they are not only to satisfy an always hungry appetite but more importantly for overall general health. I can only eat raw carrots, lettuce, lentils and corn on the cob. I don't enjoy it but I can actually tolerate that. I recently started adding raw spinach to my lettuce salads and cover it all with balsamic vinagarette and I can't really taste the difference between the lettuce and the spinach so I'm going to try and keep that up. I would also appreciate any ideas, tips and tricks for those of us that simply hate the taste of most veggies. (Another problem for me is also not having alot of time to cook)

teensie3
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
My experience is much like zenor77. There are several foods that I used to hate, tomatoes and onions being two of them and this was always very frustrating to me because they were in EVERYTHING. I spent hours picking them out of everything from spaghetti sauce to salsa (yes, SALSA!). Then one day I decided that I really wanted to like these things and so I just started eating them in small amounts whenever I had the chance. Sometimes I would pick some out of the food and leave just a little to start to get used to the taste. It took months, but I now like, or can at least tollerate for the sake of health, many foods that I previously would have nothing to do with. I think half the battle is mental, though. I really wanted to like these things that I knew were a healthy staple in many diets. I still can't pop a raw tomato in my mouth and enjoy it but I will purposefully add it to many dishes and enjoy it that way. Next battle: brussel sprouts...YIKES! Gonna be a rough one for me, LOL.

Good luck in your veggie journey!

tammyjo
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Well I'm new to this site and on my weight loss goal and glad to see that I'm not alone in my aversion to vegetables! About all I used to eat on a regular basis are the ones that are not so great for you - potatoes and corn! I was raised on southern cooking - thus the potatoes/corn and did love fried okra & squash but of course no more fried foods so there goes those two veggies! LOL

I have recently started to love fresh green beans and actually tried a little steamed broccoli at a resteraunt one day, which was okay but not great! I don't even like lettuce so no salads for me! I do know that tastes change and have tried to eat lettuce from time to time but have not yet been able to aquire a taste for it.

I hear people talk about seasoning vegetables but I am clueless as to what seasoning to add to what vegetables! I will try some of the tips RockinRobin gave. If anyone else can suggest any seasoning and ways to cook I'd love to hear them!

abbynormal278
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I know how you feel! I absolutely detest the taste of any kind of vegetable. I get a salad out for lunch almost everyday but I eat twice the amount of grilled chicken to the amount of salad. Usually like a cup and a half of salad (which is just lettuce & red cabbage) to chicken. I really need help with this taste aversion too. I literally have to force my mind to wander while eating vegetables. It makes me that sick. I am on the South Beach diet, phase 1. Which if you don't know means I can basically only eat veggies, protien and select dairy. This makes my life very hard not being able to enjoy any vegetables! I wish I could get over this. I am a picky eater also, I only eat chicken and pork, most fruit, but no veggies (and I am a recovering carbaholic :( ) I'm working through it though!

ANewCreation
07-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I had to chime in here as this thread caught my attention quickly. I am a girl from the mid-west and I love my veggies! But I am married to a man who hates his veggies and two out of my three sons also avoid their veggies--even though they were introduced to all kinds of wonderful veggies.

Here is what I've done that has worked for my veggie haters:
1. Like others, I've sneaked in shredded veggies into just about anything you can think of.
2. Pureed veggies are a good way to sneak in some vitamins. For example, pureed cauliflower blended with mashed potatoes is awesome--you really can't tell they are there.
3. If you don't like it raw try it cooked or vice versa.
4. Roasting brings the natural sweetness out of most veggies and that appeals to lots of people more.
5. Try frozen veggies (better than canned in my opinion). You can try buying it in the small boxes so you're not wasting your money on bigger amounts you won't use. There is a huge variety out there too.
6. Try different kinds of dips--hummus is one of my favorite!
7. Garlic is our favorite veggie seasoning!

You don't have to like every veggie out there but I hope that you do find some that you do enjoy.

Cape Breton Chick
08-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I have always been as someone else has said "veggie challenged" lol but as I have grown older I have come to absolutely LOVE sweet potatoes cut up in cubes, tossed with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and french onion soup mix covered and baked in the oven...so good! You can do it with reg. potatoes too.
Another thing I do to sneak in some veggies is to cut up alot of spinach and tossed them into scrambled eggs.. you can not taste it at all.. only way you know its there is you see the green but that is it.. no taste at all.. only of the eggs and whatever you put in to season. I am always looking for ways to get my veggies in without actually eating them at face value lol.

MrsVegan00
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
i really didnt like spinach by its self but i found this great recipe! its for a shake, it might look gross but it is the best thing ever! here it is...
1 cup soymilk(or milk)(i use plain light)
3-4 cups spinach or spring mix
1 frozen banana
and blend it yum yum it tastes like a banana shake it is so good and you get 2 or 3 servings of veggies and one serving of dairy and fruit! i also add a few stawberries and sometimes slices of an apple. if you dont want to used a frozen banana use a fresh one, just add some ice cubes. hope you like it!:)

toastedsmoke
08-13-2009, 12:57 AM
OMG I've found my people. I'm so intimidated by what seems to be everyone else's love for veggies. I too am veggie challenged but making an effort to incorporate them. However, I can't blame my upbringing because I came from a huge veggie eating home (my mom still makes the homemade veggie puree thing for relatives with babies) so it was always a challenge for me. I still get an actual gag reflex to brussel sprouts, asparagus and squashes. I don't like veggies that taste like they're "right from the garden" or "fresh" and "vegetably" so grilling or roasting or any cooking methods that enhance that taste is out.

My biggest suggestion to you would be cooking the vegetables into everything. My rule for myself is that every component of everything I eat has to have at least one vegetable or fruit incorporated in it. Even if this component is usually hidden. For example, even Jello chocolate pudding gets bits of ginger chopped in (chocolate + ginger = HEAVEN!)
Some Tips:
1.) I never just have plain brown rice or wheat pasta anymore, I add steamed peas, carrots and green beens, cauliflower (or the frozen mixed vegetable combo thing).
2.) I never just make a pasta sauce or a curry or any sauce really without adding frozen spinach (I haven't yet made it to the fresh kind yet but maybe one day I'll get there) or even brocolli (which is actually tolerable when its in something else and you can't taste its broccoli-ness).
3.) I don't like raw tomatoes but tomato paste is good on crackers and toast and has lots of good vitamins and tomato sauce/diced tomatoes doesn't have as much of that raw tomato garden taste and somehow in my opinion requires less cooking.
4.) I'm a little lazy when it comes to meal prep, but in many grocery stores there's such a a variety of those bagged salads and they make lunch and sandwiches really easy. I try to find the ones that have at least 3 colors in them- yes a really scientific method I know (usually green salad (different kinds of lettuce and cabbage), carrots and radishes, so that I'm not having one huge lettuce binge and calling it nutritious like I used to). You can also put some tuna or grilled or canned chicken on this and mix it in so that with pretty much every bite you get a prize i.e. the meat/tuna. I also use those Wishbone spray dressing things because it dilutes the veggie taste a little.
5.) Sometimes I make my own meatballs/burgers/meat pattie things with lean turkey (held together by an egg and blended cauliflower not breadcrumbs) and I defrost some frozen spinach and add it generously to the mixture and voila, there's vegetable in there when its cooked that you barely notice.
6.) Definitely choose frozen vegetables over canned. Canned always have an odd can taste that can put you off the specific vegetable forever.
7.) If you like spicy food, spice/pepper the vegetables liberally. If they're super spicy, then all you taste is the pepper and not the vegetable. (this is my trick from childhood).
8.) Mash, blend, or puree vegetables into stuff. A lot (not all) of the ick factor is related to the sight and smell, so if you can't see or smell it, then you can fool yourself into thinking its not there. This has worked for me with onions but I'm sure it could work with other things.
9.) Do you like fruits? I know I prefer fruits to veggies even though I can be a bit of a picky fruit eater too (no melons!) so I try to eat those a lot more than I used to for the fibre and vitamins and nutrients etc.

kristintcs
08-28-2009, 04:29 AM
I used to be a veggie hater, I mean a serious veggie hater like you too, I NEVER ate veggies, ever. Now, I eat at least 4 servings of veggies every day and I'm not choking them down either! There are still veggies I don't really like (raw tomatoes-LOVE cooked tomatoes-cauliflower, cooked spinach, kale, and fennel) but for the most part, I really like veggies now. My strategy is fake it till you make it, choke it down if you have to but just try it at least 10 times before you say you don't like it.

Hamoco350
10-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Ugh, I'm having THE worst time with my veggies. I'm trying to incorporate them as much as possible, but I still feel like I'm not trying hard enough.

Someone told me to start making my smoothies sixty percent fruit-to-forty percent veggies. I've been too intimidated to try that yet, though. :lol:

Golden Girl
10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Ugh, I'm having THE worst time with my veggies. I'm trying to incorporate them as much as possible, but I still feel like I'm not trying hard enough.

Someone told me to start making my smoothies sixty percent fruit-to-forty percent veggies. I've been too intimidated to try that yet, though. :lol:

I'd like to know the combo's of this idea. It sounds gross to me but hey, anything to get veggies in. Although I find smoothies don't satisfy me. Guess I need the crunch but I'm open to suggestions.

Smilette31
10-18-2009, 02:10 AM

I love veggies so I don't share in this problem BUT I do have a little niece who would do anything to get out of eating veggies so I've been using my juicer and basically I use any 2 or 3 fruits she likes ... and then I put broccoli ... she never knows the difference because the fruit overpowers it. :) So I can sneak in atleast a serving of veggies that way. ''

StarryEyes86
12-19-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hate veggies. It's so hard for me to even COOK them because I get grossed out from even TOUCHING them. I can tolerate green beans. That's it. Everything else I can't eat without gagging and having it be a trial.

It's really comforting reading everyone else's advice and giving me some motivation to try some new veggies!

megwini
12-19-2009, 07:27 AM
It's definitely often a raw vs cooked thing too. I don't usually like raw veggies, and I'm not sure if I ever do. I hate hard fruit and vegetables... when you cook them and make them soft, all of a sudden I love them!
I'd rather go hungry than eat raw carrots, but I find plain, cooked carrots delicious.
Even apples! I love most fruit that's soft, but apples are hard so I don't like them. But pop them in the microwave for 5 minutes and they're DELICIOUS.
I dunno, it's like I can taste the flavor better that way.. but maybe I'm just weird.

StarryEyes86
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm doing MRC diet, and it calls for 12 oz RAW GREEN veggies a day and I HATE veggies. My lunch today was so insanely miserable. I had 4 oz lettuce, 2 oz celery and 2 oz cucumbers and I thought I was going to die. I made it through the celery by dipping it in my cottage cheese and 'destringing' it as I went, but the cucumbers almost killed me. The plain lettuce was a welcome relief at the end (though I can't imagine eating 12 oz a day of raw lettuce, either...that's over a bag of lettuce!). I can only use 10 spritzes of the salad spritzers for dressing, and nothing that contains salt, so the whole experience was horrid. It took me an hour to choke it all down. I WANT to like veggies, but so many of them taste like grass or dirt to me that it makes it very difficult. I think I'm going to suck it up and try the '100 times' idea to see if I can convince myself to like them. Ugh. I'm not a huge fruit fan, either, but at least I can manage apple slices without the skin and I really like melons.

I can relate to EVERY word you said about your ordeal. That's how it is with salad for me. And that's a ceasar salad...hang in there hun!

Wild Vulpix
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
If you're like me and adore sour things, drown your veggies in vinegar :drool:

I love salad and spinach, and cooked spinach, when it's swimming in apple cider vinegar. Mmmmm. Cucumbers, or carrot shavings.. with a little salt to balance things out... Oh my gosh, so good!

I guess if you like sweet things as opposed to sour, you could make up some frosting like dip with Splenda?

Or you can set broccoli up like a forest and pretend you're Godzilla or a hungry dinosaur? It works for kids ;)

Breezychik
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi all, I'm new here, whoo hoo! I must say that I am really excited to see a category called Veggie Challanged. I knew there had to be more people like me in the world and I've finally found them!

The only vegetables I ever ate growing up was corn and potatoes. I was 26 before I ever ate lettuce and that's only because the guy I was going with loved salad so I thought I'd try it. I ened up liking it, but it was only ceasar salad I liked, finally I am able to appreciate a good iceberg lettuce salad. Yeah I know, no nutritional value, but hey, baby steps. Now I can manage to eat lettuce almost by itself as long as I have a little fat-free dressing or salsa on it. Salsa is a great salad dressing for very few calories and has the bonus of being a vegetable. Still not crazy about chunky salsa. I can eat carrots cooked now in small amounts but that's because they turn sweet when cooked. I can also tolerate some green or red peppers as long as they are chopped up in very small pieces. I like green onions (or the green part anyway), dehydrated onions, and I can handle spinach in salads now or I can hide it in eggs or soup too, it's not all that bad. I still hate green beans and I don't think I will ever like them. Sweet Potatoes are a new find, I had them the first time as french fries and they were pretty good, then this past Thanksgiving someone made a different type of sweet potato casserole that I thought was good, not the typical with marshmallows, ick.

One way I have managed to eat zucchini other than in bread is to slice it really thin, cut up some carrots really thin and chunks of potoates and a few peppers and boil the heck out of them. This basically renders most of the vegetables flavorless. Actually this might not be good because I might be taking away all the value of eating vegetables with this method. Anyone know?

Not sure if this helps or not but at least you know there is another challanged person out there.:carrot:

Cleo
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I can empathize with others who said that they prefer cooked veggies to raw ones; if they’re raw, I end up needing some kind of salad dressing (which can rev-up the calories, even with the low fat dressings). But, the secret for me—when cooking them—is to incorporate other spices. I am a huge fan of ground pepper (not the kind that is pre-ground and in cans or shakers); and, I really love adding garlic and onions to about veggie medley that I eat. Adding spices can make it taste better—and make cooking a more exciting experience.

I’m not quite sure if veggies are an acquired taste or not. I also have noticed that when I eliminate refined sugar (like candies, etc.) from my diet, the sugars found in veggies (like carrots) do taste better.

Golden Girl
02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Does anybody have a good website for veggies?

AstralPhysicist
04-07-2010, 01:55 AM
I love raw carrots, cooked corn, raw cauliflour, lettuce- is o.k, cucumbers w salt, celery is o.k with cheese or peanut butter, cooked broccoli with chicken and cheese, canned greenbeans with pepper, rosted corn on cob with garlic and parmasean cheese. I hate greens, onions, tomatoes- other than sauce, brussel sprouts, asparagus. I don't like most green veggies. I tried greens with corn to make then taste better, but it didn't work. I love almost all fruits, though. I think I will do the juicer thing. Mixing fruits and veggies. At least hubby will get a laugh if I make awful faces.

kula23
04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
WOW That is awesome that someone told me this that I am not only one who hate veggie growing up! I hate veggies and fruit while growing up. But I do like green beans and bananas, that was it! LOL Years later, I met my best friend who is chef, she encourage me to try veggie and fruits. She diced up to cook it up, then grilled chicken and you spread over tomatoes on top of chicken. It's so darn good! It got lemon/herb on it. I used hate Chinese food but now I do love it but I don't like they have HUGE veggie, just a shredder veggie in my rice along with chicken, WOW IT'S SO GOOD! I am still don't like mushroom (NASTY SMELL!), corn, cucumber. I even don't really like veggie in raw, I tried, tho but couldn't shake it off down in me! I used hate salad but I am so in love with grilled chicken with Caesar salad! Or I can use baby spanish for Caesar, that's even good! I used eat most of fruit but now I love blueberries, strawberry, pineapple, frozen grapes (you put grapes in freezer then it get hard, it almost like eating a candy but alot healthy!). I gonna try what been mentioned up there to put apple in microwave. Thanks for all of you sharing this! I am no longer embarrassed!

fra
04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
there were some things that i couldn't stand, and i found that now I can eat them and i am starting to enjoy them. Like beans and chickpeas and lentils. I think the key is to keep eating them in tiny bits until you can stand them.. I know, it sucks. But it also kinda works. Your tastebuds become desensitized

Cherry in STL
04-27-2010, 05:06 AM
I either like or will tolerate most vegetables if they're cooked. There are only a few raw vegetables outside of salads, that I enjoy. But it's very difficult for me to get my husband to eat any vegetables at all. He enjoys mexican food, so now he orders a side of pico de gallo to put on top of whatever he ordered. I've found that if I make vegetable soup with chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are soft, he will eat that. I add spinach (the frozen box kind that has been thawed and liquid squeezed out) to meatballs, meat loaf, any place I can hide it. The meat and seasonings overpower the taste of the spinach. I use a mini food processor to chop veggies into tiny bits before adding to other things. One awesome trick is to boil fresh artichokes until tender (about 30 minutes for the big ones) and use fat free italian salad dressing to dip. All you can really taste is the dressing.

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
For me, it's not just vegetables though they are overall the most challenging category.

I belong to the Picky Eating Adults forum on the web, which is actually how I found this group. I'm really glad to be here!:carrot:

That group has helped me and also what I have learned to do is what is known as "food chaining," which is to find something you like, and something similar to it that you dislike, and concentrate on the similarities. I did it before I knew what it was called and have learned to like more than one kind of beans that way.

I prefer my vegetables uncooked, usually, or in Chinese food, and I have a terrible aversion to vinegar, so the vinaigrette dressing thing wouldn't be my cup of vinegar, LOL!:D But I figure that maybe I get a few bonus nutrients by not cooking the vegetables.

Another thing I found very compelling, though right now I haven't settled down and gotten organized enough to do it, is the idea of using the puree's. Missy Chase Lapine has 3 "Sneaky Chef" books out which I discovered, and Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) has written a book called Deceptively Delicious along the same lines. You can even use baby foods as the puree's to save time.

Hope this is helpful, glad to be here, and hope to hear more from fellow veggie challenged dieters!:hug:

beerab
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
If anyone likes meatloaf one thing I do is I grind up a whole large piece of zucchini- I don't peel it but I cut off the ends. I grind it up in a food processor and then mix it in with my meat, it looks like herbs in your meatloaf- my husband loves it and he's not a big veggie person.

TrueBloodFan
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I know it sounds childish but I sneak in veg into recipes by chopping them up small, I have even gotten my husband eating veg he doesn't like that way. That and I will throw veg into smoothies when I'm making them.