Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Default Does it get easier or harder?

For those of you that are maintaining, getting close to your goal weight or at least passed the halfway point- I want to pick your brain.

I'm six pounds from being halfway to my goal weight and so far this has been pretty easy for me. I just wonder if its going to get tougher mentally. I know the weight comes off slower and it'll take longer but other than that is it easier or harder than the first half?

I don't do any weight training because I have so much muscle already. I bulk up REALLY easily but as I get smaller I want to have a firm body. When I do low weight high rep to try and avoid getting big muscles my body just doesn't know how to do that and I get them anyways. When and how do I incorporate the weight training without turning into the hulkinator. I've lifted for track and did some competitive lifting in HS so I"m really familiar with the weight room, just not from this angle.

I'm sure I have more questions.. but this will do for now.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #2  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

For me- in my past experience anyway- it is more difficult (mentally) later because everyone is telling you how great you look, you feel great, and you feel "normal" - so- IME that sends my drive right out the window. - However, this time I am focusing more on being able to do things (like run a certain distance) than on the weight I am or the size I wear. Of course I still think about that but it is secondary- it isn't my goal KWIM?
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Both. I agree with Thin4Good that as you reach a range in which you feel pretty good, it's easier to coast a little, maintain instead of losing as fast. OTOH, I think that's good for your metabolism. I worry about backing myself into a calorie corner.

It's easier in that my habits are well established, and my tastes are quite changed. Things that used to tempt me ... not so much anymore.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hmmm... well, losing the weight was the "easy" part (which doesn't mean I think it's easy). The hard part for me really began when I had to re-adjust to life as a thin person (which I had never been) and didn't even know what maintaining was. The hard part has been the last 4 years. Sure, I know what works, I have my plan and workout regiment down pat, I constantly have to make myself be consistent, even though my life is constantly changing.

I do like shaking things up as far exercise and that helps a lot in keeping me on track. I'll pick up new power walking buddies, try different running routes with my dog, take a class, or sign up for a session with my trainer to learn some new things.

I did notice that the closer to my goal that I got, the more people assumed I would start to eat "normally" again and stop going to the gym everyday, so I had to really work at changing people's expectations of me.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Easier AND harder.
Easier because - I know what works and what doesn't. I feel so much better with lbs. lost and being fitter, wearing new clothes ROCKS, mirrors are no longer the enemy, trying new exercise and sports is actually FUN, VEGETABLE is no longer a four letter word, people are used to your new routine and spend less time offering you "cheat foods".

Harder because it comes of so much slower, the novelty of people noticing wears off some, exercise routines can get boring and you have to develop some creativity to keep them fresh, willpower wains and you need to find new ways to stay on track - particularly when the dreaded "plateau" hits.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

So, Females are not genetically or physiologically designed to be "hulkinators" without help from extra testosterone or steriods. Also, as you get into your 30's, you loose a certian percentage of muscle mass every year, adding to the middle aged spread and osteoporosis. Maintenance with more muscle is much eaiser, because muscle is metabolically active, where as fat just sits there and does nothing but sit there. That is, the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate, and the easier it is to maintain weight without going hungry.

Start simple, the more simple the workouts, the more effective. The basics, Push ups, Pull ups, Lunges, Crunches, Rows, Dips, and Squats. You hit many muscle groups and these exersises are easy to do with a gym or without. I'm also a fan of my design, the 'international workout': Turkish getups, Romainian deadlifts, French press, bulgarian split squat, and then just for fun, Floor wipers. It's a deadly workout and FUN! I'm also a huge fan of the Tabatas method. Google it, try it, if you survive it, you'll love it.

I've been weight training for 3 years and I still look, walk and sound like a chick. I don't really act like a lady though.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

For me .. its getting SOOO much easier!!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Getting so much harder for me....as Thin4good said you begin to feel great and like a "normal" person again...I spent an ENTIRE year controlling almost every bite that went into my body that now I feel like it's okay to have the occasional treat...I want to be like the "normal" person..I want to go out occasionally and not worry about weight watcher points or every little calorie and gram of fat...I seriously made myself sick of doing that...........I have NO idea about maintaining..(although I must be maintaining because I've been142.5 for the past month). I'm perfectly fine with the weight I am now..however I sometimes fear gaining it back so much...I think that as long as I keep doing what I'm doing...the "occasional treat" and working out I will do just fine....however there is a major adjustment period after you've lost a lot..like..um..what do i do now?! lol
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #9  

My problem has always been when I did get comfortable with my weight I did go back to being a "normal" person and gained it all back. I'm obviously know now that cannot be the case or I'll be making this journey again and again.

The muscle part... I don't stay looking like a girl. My back muscles get big from behind I look like a guy. My legs are like trees even just from the running I've been doing, my thighs are huge and my calves have always been big, defined, and split down the middle like I've been doing calf raises 5 hours a day for my whole life. I still have muscle definition (and a pretty big muscle) my arms even though I haven't benched or curled outside of JM30DS since track season last year. I took a picture of my legs, maybe ill post it up.. because I don't think people understand unless they see. Some girl at the gym the other day made the comment to her friend ( I had head phones on so apparently that makes me deaf) "that girl's legs are disgustingly muscular".. like its my fault!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli32 View Post
My problem has always been when I did get comfortable with my weight I did go back to being a "normal" person and gained it all back. I'm obviously know now that cannot be the case or I'll be making this journey again and again.

The muscle part... I don't stay looking like a girl. My back muscles get big from behind I look like a guy. My legs are like trees even just from the running I've been doing, my thighs are huge and my calves have always been big, defined, and split down the middle like I've been doing calf raises 5 hours a day for my whole life. I still have muscle definition (and a pretty big muscle) my arms even though I haven't benched or curled outside of JM30DS since track season last year. I took a picture of my legs, maybe ill post it up.. because I don't think people understand unless they see. Some girl at the gym the other day made the comment to her friend ( I had head phones on so apparently that makes me deaf) "that girl's legs are disgustingly muscular".. like its my fault!

I feel ya kelli. I really do. I get muscle very easily, and it takes ages to lose fat. My thighs and calves are very muscular, I have the tear-drop definition in my thigh by the knee (vastus lateralis) and from the side, I have a cut-shape. My calves are clearly muscular and 15 1/4 inches big. I can see where you are coming from, however, adding more muscle makes it much easier to maintain, and it's healthier than fat. There's a happy medium between "no-neck" and waif! I love my muscles, they give me power and confidence, they are heavy sometimes and it makes it hard to sprint (that and being 5 ft 4!) but they carry me with an unmatched sense of security and strength.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli32 View Post
Some girl at the gym the other day made the comment to her friend ( I had head phones on so apparently that makes me deaf) "that girl's legs are disgustingly muscular".. like its my fault!
Maybe it was a really badly worded compliment, as in "that girl is disgustingly pretty"? I would probably take it for a compliment, but maybe I'm just conceited

I don't build muscle easily (I wish I did! It would save me so much time and effort). That will probably be a blessing in disguise once you get closer to goal. Most people lose quite a bit of muscle mass along with fat, and anything that helps you keep it will help you lose weight and look good at your goal.

Re: the question, for me, the closer I get to goal the harder it is. I lose very, very slowly and it's taken me years to get to this point. I remember when I first started losing it was thrilling how easy and fast it seemed to come off, but now it's all about consistent effort. Like Emily said, even though it's harder dealing with feeling "normal", and learning how to adjust to being smaller, it is a lot more motivational to focus on doing things and having secondary goals. Weight loss has become less of a goal and more of a tool to help me accomplish more in life.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #12  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

For me, it's been much harder since I hit the 20 lbs. mark. I'm fairly comfortable with my body as it is now, though ideally I'd like to lose another 5-10 lbs. It's harder to stay motivated, though, once you get comfortable.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #13  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

And I'm like you, Kelli - I lose weight, and all of a sudden I think I'm "naturally thin" and can maintain the loss even if I revert to my old eating habits. I would love to know why that happens.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Kelli - I also build muscle very quickly. I have very defined calves, a muscle in my thigh that bulges above my knee, a deep groove down the sides of my thighs and hamstrings that bump right out. I also have big bum...but a big HIGH, PERKY bum lol.

*shrugs*

I love 'em

Even if it DOES make buying jeans a nightmare lol.

Like Kataclismic I really like having a strong looking body. I'm not designed to be a waif...I have been as low as 112 pounds and looked truly "disgusting". It's only with a little more weight and a lot more muscle that I look "right" for my body and I am happy with that

Except the last few stubborn kilos that crept back on over winter.

BAH! :P

Speaking of maintenance lol. Have to watch the winter spread. Its a killer!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #15  

I've been strong (er than most girls my age) as long as I can remember, I started playing sports really young. I don't know if I like or dislike my strong looking body, I may appreciate it more if I had never had it. The only thing I think it has gotten me is a string of athlete boyfriends who love my muscular body and girls that don't mess with them because they're scarred of me lol.

I've just been an athlete for so long and I'm not anymore. I think I'm tired of looking like one but my body apparently isn't so there's nothing I can do about that.

Thanks for the maintaining-goal approaching advice. I want to be mentally prepared for it when it comes because I don't want to make the same mistakes I have before. Thank you ladies!