Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #1  
:)

S/C/G: 167/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Wellbutrin? How did you feel on it?

The dr just put me on Wellbutrin and I want to know how others who have been on it have felt. I looked it up and it says you shuldn't be on it if you are anorexic or bulimic, but I am bulimic. The dr knows that I am, which is why she choose the meds because she said it will help me lose weight. was that a mistake for her to do? Will it effect me negatively?
BumpSetSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Wellbutrin killed any urge I had to eat for no reason. Which was a good thing. But after a while (about 2 months) It sorta wore off and I was slowly taken off of it.
I had a lot small panic attacks and other issues that Wllbutrin helped me get rid of. It re-taught me a lot of things about how to deal with the stupid things in life. The only side affect I had was being dizzy just before and after sleeping.
If your Dr. put you on it, I don't think it was a mistake for her to do so. I'm sure she wants you keep tabs so that she can keep an eye on you. I had to come in every 2 weeks and I didn't even have an eating issue. My advice, don't stress about it. Keep an eye on your behavior and your thoughts but don't over do it. If you feel things are getting bad you can always talk to your doctor, but don't every quit the meds cold turkey.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I'm bipolar, and I have been taking Wellbutrin for a few years now, with Seroquel. For me,the only side effect was tremors in my hands, but I really never had an effect with my weight or appetite either way.

My doc alson knows I've had body image/ weight issues in the past. She said that Wellbutrin can help curb appetite, but it's not enough to use the medication for that purpose alone.

I am not insinuating that anyone _is_ taking Wellbutrin for this purpose, but I do know people who have.

So, over all I've had success with it. When I have a major depressive episode I eat because I feel hopeless. In a manic episode I eat,too, because, well, I'm manic....so I suppose taking it helps me keep even, and eat less..

Did that even answer your q? Did that even make sense?

Sorry if it didn't!
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I was given wellbutrin so quit smoking, and I really didn't like it. I felt a bit zombie-like, and it didn't make me quit smoking. I'm not sure if it will help you lose weight, I think my doc said it just didn't make you gain weight.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I took it for about a year for mild depression and it worked well for me. My biggest problems were general "blah" feelings, an inability to concentrate or focus, and a lack of motivation. Like I said, I took it for about a year - a pretty low dose - and it really helped me a lot. I didn't feel zombie like or out of it and I found that it helped re-focus me quite a bit.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

It has actually really helped I have been on it for about 6 or 7 months. It really took away any compulsive eating. I have no urge to just eat for no reason. It did help with the compulsive buying when at stores. So it does help with refocus. I was on it cause all I wanted to do was cry and it helped with that. All drugs work differently on different people you have to give it a few weeks to completely get in your system too...good luck!!
momof4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

I have been on Wellbutrin for over a year. I had been on Paxil prior to it but after my mom's death, I sunk into deeper depression. All I wanted to do is sleep, drink alcohol, and eat. The Wellbutrin helped for overeating for a little while. It helps me from sleeping too much. I get eight hours of sleep and not longer sleep until noon. I do experience some anxiety, but it's due to me worrying too much about things that are out of my control.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #8  

Thanks guys. I forgot I posted this lol.

I did experiance an anxiety attack for the first time last night... my anxiety is up a bit but she said it would take a little to settle into it. Hopefully it won't stay at the level it is.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

I used to get anxiety attacks with Wellbutrin. I have the tendency to not breathe well. What works for me is to take deep breaths. I close my eyes. I inhale through my nose and then exhale through my mouth. Keep doing this until you relax.

Another remedy is to take a deep breathe and tighten as many muscles as you can as hard as you can. Hold this and then relax. Repeat two or more times.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #10  

Thank you. That will definately be a big help.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #11  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

Hi!

I've been on Wellbutrin for a couple of years now. I find it doesn't help with my depression as much as other meds have (I've been on over a dozen different ones in the last 13 years) BUT it also has no side effects for me whatsoever, so that is why I stay on it. My lows aren't as low; it keeps me on an even keel, and at this point, that works for me. I am very sensitive to side effects and I hated all the weight gain, lack of sleep, loss of libido, headaches, etc. etc. etc. that I had on the other ones.

Good luck!
offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #12  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 286/275.8/185

My biggest issue with Wellbutrin was missing a dose. It had such MAJOR withdrawl symptoms for me that missing one or two doses was enough for people chatting with me online to know that something was wrong.

I was in college at the time and woke up regularly on week days but slept so late on weekends that I'd forget to take my meds when I got up.
glutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #13  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

maybe that is what is wrong with me today. I didn't take my dose of Wellbutrin.

I'm on prozac too, we are trying to wean me off due to low libido and the desire to smoke on prozac.

I'm hoping the wellbutrin will work mostly, because I can't stand the ten pounds I gained while on prozac for two months only!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #14  

Height: 5'3"

I lost 17# in one month on Wellbutrin. It was a little scary, to be honest. I would set an alarm on my computer to remind me to eat. And, even then, I couldn't eat. Though, I was in the middle of a *very* high stress project at work, so I'm not sure it was entirely the Wellbutrin.

I still take it, and the "I'd rather die than eat" feeling has worn off. I find that I am laser-focused when I'm taking it. I am *so* productive.

I hope it works out for you.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 235/184/145-40-ish

Height: 5'1

I have been on it for about 10 months... This drug never made me lose weight! I was on Lexapro and that made me lose weight. I had to stop taking it because of my libido, lol. I had none! Maybe I need a higher dosage
Akiko is offline   Reply With Quote