Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Question A boy likes me..... Ugh

Which is a new thing for me. I'll explain the story.

So 2 weekends ago me and my friends were having a girls night out at this club. We ran into some people we knew from a long time ago. One of them happend to be this guy A.J.... A.J. and I started talking, you know, the usual, how've you been type crap. I hadn't seen him in probably 2-3 years. So we me and my friends leave the club and go sit in a Tim Hortons parking lot to hang out before we went home. A.J. happend to see our car and stopped by. He pulled up right beside my window... we were making small talk... He's Jamaican, and he knows I've been in Jamaica a lot for the last little while, so we were mostly talking about that. Then my friend Aimee said she was getting tired (it was 6am by the point lol) and she wanted to go home. A.J. was like, I'll drive Sherri home (I'm Sherri BTW). And Aimee was like "No, her house is on my way I'll take her) So Aimee drove me home.
The next day A.J. adds me to facebook, then MSN.......

So I don't talk to him for a while.
Then yesterday he started talking to me on MSN.......
He was like, "I have to tell you something, ever since that night in the club, I can't get you outta my head."
I was like...ummmm... Okay..
Then he starts going on about how we should be LOVERS and not FRIENDS... and BOYFRIEND and GIRLFRIEND.... than he asked me if I wanted him to come get me and take me to his house.... I made up an excuse, saying I was sick last night.

Now this would all be great.... He's polite, sweet, and cute... ONE PROBLEM.... he is SHORT. 5'5" to be exact(or so he says, I personally think he is shorter than that). I was wearing heels the night in the club and he like came up to my belly button. I just can't be with a shorter man... I don't know why, I just can't. I'm a tall woman.
I just don't know how to deal with this..... Obviously I can't say "Sorry dude, your too short, now leave me alone"...
He put me on the spot last night and said "Do you think I'm sexy?"... I'm like... Of course your sexy.

I don't have much experience with this sorta thing..... Help a sista out!?
What do I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!???
I have never had to tell someone I don't like them... I don't even know if I have the heart to do it...
Awkward.

Last edited by luvja; 11-14-2008 at 09:39 AM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #2  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

I'm laughing because I can't stand a short dude either and I'm 4'11...5'1 in my Nikes. I've been big all my life and I just can't get with a guy who is 5'7, 150 because it makes me feel huge. There's not much you can do. Height for me is a deal breaker. You could always tell him you're not interested in a relationship right now...

LOL! you said he went up to your belly button...he-larry-us!
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

If you don't want to be with him in that way, then just let him know. You don't have to say that you don't want to be with him because he's too short. Just say that you just feel like you would be better as friends. It will probably bum him out (especially since it seems he's really into you), but it's better than leading him on unintentionally.

In the end, you have to do what makes you happy. And hey, just because you don't want to be with the guy doesn't mean you can't enjoy the confidence that comes with someone "liking" you.
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl98 View Post
I'm laughing because I can't stand a short dude either and I'm 4'11...5'1 in my Nikes. I've been big all my life and I just can't get with a guy who is 5'7, 150 because it makes me feel huge. There's not much you can do. Height for me is a deal breaker. You could always tell him you're not interested in a relationship right now...

LOL! you said he went up to your belly button...he-larry-us!

LOL seriously. These heels probably made me 6'.
It was uncomfortable when he was standing near me.... I felt like the jolly green giant!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Default Awww..

I would just tell him.... Look, I'm very flattered, but I'm really not interested in dating right now.

I'm with you on the height thing too! I'm only 5'3, but I really don't like short guys. ick.

The good news is, you must be looking great! Guys are trying to pick you up! Whoo hoo!
ittybit7197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #6  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I know this is going to sound rude, but... aren't we, as overweight people, trying to have people see us for who we are inside rather than on the outside? It can't always be about physical appearance. You can get skinny, but he won't get taller. He could be a great guy though that you just miss out on. I'm all for giving him a chance.

For full disclosure: I'm 5'9" and my husband is 5'5" or 5'6", I thought him being shorter would be an issue for him, and maybe it was a little for me in the beginning. He loves it when I rock the high heels-- I thought people would stare, but turns out -I'm not the center of the universe- and no one really cares. It was just my self esteem issues again.

So, if he's a nice guy (and doesn't have short guy issues) he might be worth a date or two.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #7  

sprkle: speaking only for myself...it's an attraction issue...there are great short guys, I'm sure, but I'm not attracted to them. Just like I know I have a decent personality, but some guys just aren't going to be attracted to my size. I understand that and I accept that. Short guys have been interested in me...and since I'm under 5 feet well, there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm just not attracted to guys shorter than like 5'9 and 5'9 is still wayyy short for my taste.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #8  

Yeah that crossed my mind to... What if I'm throwing away a great guy... I'm so confused!. Ugh.

caligirl - While I was in Jamaica I had a GREAT boyfriend. He was 6 foot 4 inches of beauty. haha. I'm with you on the tall guy thing... It's just sooo sexy.

And, I told A.J. I'm going back to Jamaica in December, and I'll be spending time with my "ex" boyfriend there. He doesn't seem to care.
I made it clear he is ONLY my ex because I came back to Canada. He still calls me everyday and we act like were still together.... Eventually I'd like to move there.. to be with my best friend mostly. I can't live without her!. Plus we have a wonderful business idea.

Last edited by luvja; 11-14-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #9  

ooohhh! 6'4...*drool*
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
Umm I am not going to address the height issue I see something else I would like to talk about. Maybe this is cuz I haven't dated much so I am wrong but shouldn't there be like dating and going out and stuff before anyone decides they should be lovers and spend time at each others houses? Sounds kinda like he is going a little too fast. And that makes me question his real intentions. Oh and by the way can you tell I have had really bad experiences and am quite suspecious of men.

Haha, he said to "hang out".. But who knows. He lives with his Mom, and she was home. He said he wanted me to meet her.......
Thats the Jamaican way. Needs Mama's approval.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I am the same way, can't be with a shorter guy. It's just a preference I have. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 6'4", I love it! I tried the shorter guy once cause you know, he was nice & had a good job, was college educated. But it didn't work cause that "spark" wasn't there, I couldn't get over the fact that when I wore heals, we were the same height! If you're not into him, you should tell him, don't lead the guy one. You don't have to tell him why, cause say you know I"m not into a relationship right now, nothing personal.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #12  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

I can totally understand that you think he's too short . I have a similar issue with guys younger than me. It's not that I am ideologically against it, I'm just not attracted to them. At all. I don't really care about tall or short... I've had guys from 5' 5'' to 6' 2'' and it doesn't matter to me.

That being said, it seems to me like this guy may not really be interested in you as a person. Especially guys usually don't get infatuated that quickly and I agree with earlier poster that he apparently skips some levels. If he goes on in this pace you can expect a marriage offer next week . Which doesn't mean that you should tell him off immediately. That's up to yourself... but realize that it might just be sex he's after.
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I was suspicious of his intentions too.
I totally get what you're saying about short guys! Can't date em, make me feel too uncomfortable.
As for your situation, be honest. Just like you were here. You have a guy in Jamacia that you talk to everyday and have strong feelings for. You're not ready to be with anyone else. If he can't take it, I'd go back to questioning his motivations. If he doesn't seem to mind that your heart belongs to someone else then he's just after your body.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey luvja, I'm poaching on your 20-something turf, but I wanted to chime in, Congrats on the conquest...attention feels nice, even awkward attention can make you feel desirable, but confused as to what to do.

However, because of the long distance "guy on the shelf" in Jamaica, you have the perfect, painless "out". This is easy, and believe me, usually getting out of these situations can be a nightmare (Really nice, persistent guy and NO chemistry...18 years since my last date with someone who was not my husband, and I STILL shudder at my memories of those scenarios.). Once upon a time, I dated a couple of guys shorter than I was...but I DO hear you. I married a big, broad-shouldered, 6'2" guy -- even when I was heavier, he always makes me feel "small" -- which definitely has its merits.

So...on to what to do. I will preface this by saying, I am ABSOLUTELY all about stretching the truth when it comes to saving people's feelings. In this case, it sounds like you really like this guy as a person, and have no desire to hurt him. Anyway, this is how it works...

You say the following: I talked to _____ in Jamaica last night on the phone. I mentioned you to him, and at first he got really quiet, then he kept asking me questions. Then he told me that, since he knows I am hoping to move to Jamaica, he has been holding out hope that when I get there, we can take our relationship to the next level. He told me he misses me and is trying to figure out a way to come and see me or have me come back for a vacation...until I can move there for good. We talked for a really long time, and as we were talking, it became clear that our feelings for each other are very strong. We have decided to try this long distance thing, more formally, and see where it goes. Dating anyone else RIGHT NOW feels like I am cheating on something I care about and want to try. I really like you, but I am commited to this. Sorry...

So, this little fiction does two things. It gives you the ability to date someone else in the near future if you want to...Presto! The long distance thing didn't work. More important, it saves the nice, short guy's feelings, perhaps even allowing you to preserve some semblance of a friendship with him...because you have made this not about HIM, but about you and Mr. Jamaica. Basically, he just had BAD TIMING...not a permenant case of being too short. For this to work, however, you have to be firm if he pushes the issue. Otherwise, he will think he has a chance, and then, well, you are screwed... If he pushes, act a little outraged, and say I TOLD you what is going on in my life, please respect me enough to respect my feelings on this.

Last edited by Schumeany; 11-15-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #15  

You guys rock. You even wrote out a long speech for me to say. Thats awesome... lol. I especially love when you said
Quote:
More important, it saves the nice, short guy's feelings
. I burst out in laughter! Thanks Schumeany!