General chatter - Food commercials.

View Full Version : Food commercials.

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't know about you guys, but being on a diet and watching food commercials is pretty difficult. I found a way around it though! When food commercials come on and I'm at home, a shut my eyes, cover my ears, and hum, or when I'm feeling obnoxious I do that arabic call(don't rly know how to type it out) my mom looks at me like I'm nuts but whatever. She says it's probably a good idea. ahaha

What's your reaction to food commercials, and how do you deal with them?

brandy922
11-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Usually the shows I watch are recorded so I'll just fast foward through them. If it's live t.v. i'll ignore it or switch channels. The whole Arabic yell is hilarious. Good one.

mazza
11-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Most of the time they don't affect me - unless I'm having a day where I am craving the foods advertised - or if I'm really hungry and out of the house - (like watching the commercial on a TV in a shop or something).

What helps me is knowing that the foods are, in actuality, nothing like what they look like when advertised - kind of like the photographs of delicious looking Big Macs in McDonalds. When you get your burger, it looks like a $2 shop knock off.

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 12:41 AM
That's super true, they never do look as good as they do on tv.

mazza
11-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Exactly - plus... I don't know.
I've been eating clean for so long, (since august 2007) except for the occasional treat when I want it, that now the thought of a lot of the junk and fast food advertised is enough to turn my stomach. I had french fries and fried chicken on monday night (an extremely rare occurence) and afterwards I felt sooooo grossssss.

I'd forgotten how crappy I used to feel when I ate that stuff all of the time.

mandalinn82
11-14-2008, 01:13 AM
I must tune them out - I haven't noticed them in a very long time. I am also far enough out that the fast food ones turn my stomach...ew. What they call "juicy" I call "covered in grease". And it's icky.

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Well I hope soon I'll have that mentality!

Thin4Good
11-14-2008, 08:48 AM
I hardly watch commercials. I work 8am to 5 pm. Go to the gym usually for an hour. I don't have a set time just after work. So when I am home at night I'm busy doing things to get ready for the next day. So typically I will watch a show til commercials come on then during commercial I get up to go do something to prepare for the next day or to clean something. That way the food commercials won't bother me, I'm getting up to do something, and prepared for tomorrow all at the same time.
I will admit Olive Garden(italian) and pizza commercial are the only ones that I :drool: over.

I wish I was that motivated to clean. I need to try that!

- The last time we ate at Olive Garden there was SOAP in our salad. As in, liquid hand soap. It was completely disgusting. (yup we still had to pay!) Anyway- now, every time I see those commercials I'm just tasting the soap all over again. I will never ever eat there again.

wantingtolose
11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
The fast food commercials never get me, its always the restaurant ones: Red lobster, olive garden etc. and PIZZA! I live in a college town and there about 100 pizza places within a ten mile radius, i swear. I love pizza, could eat it every day. We don't have cable or an antenna right now so no commercials thank goodness. Before, we had dvr so i would just fast forward through them.

Amy8888
11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I also mostly watch stuff I've recorded on my DVR, so I never have to watch commercials. That's a big help!

PhotoChick
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Tivo baby. I fast forward through most commercials now. :)

I haven't watched "live" TV in forever. I guess football games are the only things I watch live - and usually I'm doing something else while I'm watching - working on the computer, reading, whatever.

So I manage to tune out most commercials.

sweet_talker
11-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I find the food network way harder. Especially shows to do with baking...those get me thinking, geez, some chocolate cake would be really nice right now

raw23
11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Oh man, I can't watch food network anymore! I loved it!!

bargoo
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
I just ignnore food commercials. Never watch the food network, too tempting

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I wish I was that motivated to clean. I need to try that!

- The last time we ate at Olive Garden there was SOAP in our salad. As in, liquid hand soap. It was completely disgusting. (yup we still had to pay!) Anyway- now, every time I see those commercials I'm just tasting the soap all over again. I will never ever eat there again.

* Note to self -
1. Go to McDonalds
2. Order double cheese burger
3. Cover with soap
4. EAT***

JulieJ08
11-14-2008, 12:56 PM
* Note to self -
1. Go to McDonalds
2. Order double cheese burger
3. Cover with soap
4. EAT***

:rofl:

nelie
11-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't watch tv. I watch either DVDs or some stuff online. Neither of those have food commercials.

As for Olive Garden, I could never drool over their commercials because I never really liked their food. I did like their breadsticks. A couple years ago, someone gave me a gift card to Olive Garden so my husband and I went. I didn't even like the breadsticks anymore. I still had money on the gift card but had no interest going back so never did.

One thing I firmly believe is things do taste better in your imagination than in reality. I like the smell and look of certain foods but if I actually ate them, they can disappoint.

princess2323
11-14-2008, 01:54 PM
lol--- i can so hear the arabic call in my head==== I"m lebanese by the way --- anyway just reading this and i had to laugh=== for me food commercials dont do it for me i'm disgusted by them for the most part but when it comes to food network i'm like drooling-- i want that and that and that---hahha

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 02:33 PM
ahha, glad I could get a laugh out of you. I'm half lebanese:)

Michellelee
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't watch much tv until the evening, after the kids are in bed. By that time, I'm supposed to be finished eating so I'll often do something to keep my hands busy while I'm watching, like putting a puzzle together or getting on the computer. It helpes too because I'm not watching the pictures of the food. If I'm still craving a snack that I know I shouldn't have, I'll put on my pj's and watch tv in my bedroom, which is farther away from the kitchen and since my FIL is living with us, I never want food enough to put my bra back on to go to the kitchen. :)

princess2323
11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
SO whats the other half ace?

so anyway i have really been watching tv myself since i got my own place-- -instead i pop in a few workout dvds or play wii fit--- right now i'm battling it out with the baby for the computer so far he's winning--- keeps hitting random buttons-- so I'm getting off for now --- maybe make some dinner or something--- i'm thinking some weight watchers recipe i saw in my book with chicken and apples or something--- i'm not on weight watchers though i just bought their cookbooks and have only tried out like one recipe so far

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 04:34 PM
That's a very smart idea.. I should get the weight watchers cookbook also. Sounds delicious.

I'm half french also.

princess2323
11-14-2008, 04:49 PM
anyway-- me and the hubby went to ontario, canada--- i think it was called kitchener or something was the name of the city/town-- maybe three weeks ago and got stuck at the border cause my dumb butt thought it was ok to go into canada without passports ----yeah getting in was easy---getting back into the states was another--- had to have them pull naturalization records and stuff for me --- and hospital records for the baby---oh well it was fun and at least we only had to stay with the border police for like 30-45 min ---

lets see would i go back?--- definetly with a passport of course--- but not going all the way there again maybe just into canada---haha