Weight Loss Support - Going to a party on a diet for the first time.

Beautiful Ace
11-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Any advice on how to stay out of the junk food.

Also, I know alcohol is a lot of calories, any suggestions on what to drink to limit that?

CountingDown
11-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Eat a snack (healthy) before you go.
Look for the veggie tray - it is your friend
I like dry red wine - 4 oz = about 80 calories
Then see if you can get diet soda, or sparkling water.

I've been known to take Crystal Light packets and protein bars in my purse - just in case ;)

Beautiful Ace
11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Oh, red wine, better than the 64 + calories in one oz of vodka! jeez. I doubt there wil be a veggie tray, but they all know im dieting so ill just bring a baggie in my purse. And eat a healthy dinner before I go. Thanks:)

Beautiful Ace
11-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks:) I've had good willpower to stay away from junk thus far, hope I can keep it intoxicated!

mandalinn82
11-13-2008, 11:28 PM
I always have rum and diet coke or vodka and club soda with lime. Both are good, and the mixers add no calories.

At home, I buy Baja Bob's sugar free mixes and make myself a little low-cal margarita or mai tai, but my friends don't stock them!

Beautiful Ace
11-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Well Kim... I'm not actually counting calories, or following any kind of diet or anything... I want to but I don't have money to do something like WW and I don't know where to find HEALTHY diet plans online or anything, im so lost. I'm just eating smaller portions than before, a lot more fruits and veggies etc.

Kim K
11-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Eating smaller portions and eating fruits and veggies sounds great! :) Even if you're not technically counting calories, just by eating smaller portions you are lowering how many calories you take in every day.

cfmama
11-14-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm actually going to a party on saturday and have been thinking about my plan. I personally don't like to drink enough to spend my calories on it ;) But I'll be taking an oz of almonds and an all fruit bar with me to nibble on through the night. And my big jug of mint water.

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Mint water? Do tell!

cfmama
11-14-2008, 03:57 AM
I just take an herbal mint tea bag (or about two tablespoons large leaf dried mint) and put it in my water bottle! Let it sit for about a half hour and you have delicious mint water :)

Tomato
11-14-2008, 07:43 AM
You can also opt for a wine spritzer - wine mixed with club soda. Spritzers are typically associated with white wine but I like a red wine spritzer. That will dilute the calories even more and you can have more glasses. It depends how much you are into alcohol (sorry, not implying here you are a boozer) - I mean some people don't need to have booze at all - I would be a prime example of that, even at a party. Booze simply does not anything for me other than making me tipsy and sleepy in record time.

Nibble on the veggies and fruit; and remember - even if you dip into the less healthy food, life goes on and go back to plan the very next morning. Don't fall into the "all or nothing" trap. After all, it's a party, so enjoy yourself.
Have a great time!

jellydisney
11-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Alternate alcoholic beverages with water. It'll slow you down, and you'll consume less liquid calories overall. Just be conscious of what your consuming, and eat/drink more slowly.

And like somebody said, it's a party! It's one day, so tomorrow everything will be back to normal.

Lori Bell
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Parties are a piece of cake!! (bad joke!). Parties are fun and they don't have to be scary on a diet. Your hostess will adore you if you bring a fruit and/or veggie tray to add to the snack table. I guarantee you, it will get eaten. I take one to just about every party we go to, and it always get eaten. People really do like healthy food when given the choice. grapes, orange wedges, cauliflower, cucumber slices, strawberries...cheap and good.

It sounds like you already have your mind set on being "intoxicated". I hope you will rethink that. If you eat less, and drink as usual your hang-over will be MUCH worse. If you take the fruit tray I mentioned, and get a tall glass of club soda & ice, squeeze an orange slice in it and add a couple sliced strawberries, it is refreshing and delicious...and LOOKS like a mixed drink. Believe it or not, it *is* fun being the sober one at a party. Being in control is an awesome feeling.

paniania
11-14-2008, 10:55 AM
My party strategy, silly as it may be, is to drink only champagne. It is about 80 calories a glass and it fills you up pretty quickly because of all the bubbles. You could also alternate one glass of champagne and one glass of seltzer with lime or something without being lame because a champagne buzz doesn't take much and lasts for a while (good grief do I sound like a lush :o even though I'm not).

Have fun!

grneyedmustang
11-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Vodka & Diet coke or Rum and diet coke are my two drinks when I just have to have hard liquor. Usually, I just have wine and I'm okay though. As far as the food goes, the veggie tray is a good choice.

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I'm not the type to get stupid wasted, I'm a good buzz type person. I don't want to dip into the chips and whatnot because I know myself and it's addictive. If I have some chips at the party I'm going to crave it for a long time, and it's been more than 3 weeks that I haven't touched any junk food. I'm going to stick to my guns. But I'm telling myself right now that If I do happen to dip into the chips I'm not going to feel guilty about it because like you said, it is a party. I'll just pick up where I left off before. You guys are really great at the advice stuff. And I like how everyone comes at it with different angles because it really helps me go through my options:D

fatmad
11-14-2008, 06:11 PM
:xcheer:
Yes it is that time of year. I can go without drinking, which seems to help my husband with his drinking.
But I can't go where all the snacks are bad for me.
This year I promise not to park myself at the food table and graze all night.
I also have to have something to do. If there is dancing thats great. I need cards so I can play euchre or cribbage if not.
Also, having music to play, singing etc is good, cause it keeps my hands busy, and I don't think about eating.
what kind of partying will you be doing?
fatmad

AngelMae
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I went to a Halloween party, my first party on a diet. I had some Michelob Ultra Raspberry Pomegrante beer. I am not a beer person but it was really good. It was 101 calories per bottle but I had saved some of my calories for drinks.

I agree with bringing a fruit or veggie tray. Its a good idea for you and the hostess will appreciate it!!

Good luck! :)

Beautiful Ace
11-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I already got my veggie tray ready with some low fat or no fat (can't remember which) sour cream and onion soup mix dip! I'm going to go buy a bottle of wine and just enjoy my night.

It's not a huge party per say. More of a get together of friends (at least 7 of us) but from my experience (we all smoke pot socially) they're going to have mad munchies around.

fatmad
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
:devil:I remember the munchies, they were part of my early binges, but now I don't need the drugs to get me to binge:p
Seriously, I could hoover up an entire refrigerator of food, and half my freezer when I did pot.
I don't miss it much, (gave it up for other reasons) but that would seriously undo my 18 day binge free status. :(
Although its different now. I used to smoke, get hungry, horny and sleepy, but have time to enjoy the first 2 things, now I just fall asleep quickly, but with food in hand......:^:

Good luck ACE, I don't think I could smoke and not eat ALOT of junk.
fatmad

luvja
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm a beer kind of girl. Molson Canadian. I have no idea how many calories a beer is, but I honestly don't care. Have fun! :)

I don't get munchies, Just pasties. It evens itself out ;)

Beautiful Ace
11-15-2008, 01:38 AM
OKAY!! I just got back from the party!!! I will have you know that I only drank the one bottle of wine i got for me. I smoked some pot, and didn't touch any of the chips!!!!! They had two bowls filled with chips and I didn't eat one!!! I forgot the tray of veggies at home unfortunately! But now I'm home and hammered and I'm just eating some veggies and then hitting the sack. I ****ing made it without breaking!!! This is a super big achievement for me!!!

fatmad
11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
good for you ACE, that's a great achievement. If you can do that, you can do anything at all.
Its movie night here at home, I am going to pop up some orville redenbachers smart pop. Nice and light. Very low fat. With a splenda gingerale!
keep away from the chips, cheezies etc.

Beautiful Ace
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks fatmad:)