General chatter - Can Alaska chicks put me straight?

ANOther
11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
With Alaska so much in the news lately because of Sarah Palin and Ted Stevens, I have a question: I always thought Juneau was the capital of Alaska, but when Matt Lauer was interviewing Gov. Palin on the Today show he said she commutes every day from Wasilla to Anchorage, and the news reports on the Senate recount come from Anchorage. What is your capital?

raw23
11-13-2008, 01:09 PM
It's Juneau

PhotoChick
11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Juneau is the capital, but the majority of hte population lives in or around either Anchorage or Fairbanks.

If you look at a map of Alaska,there's a part that sort of slides down the Gulf of Alaska and nestles up against the Yukon and British Columbia. That part is where Juneau is located, but it's not accessible by road. It's only accessible by plane or boat, so it tends to be less populated.

And because most of the population is in the larger landmass which is more easily accessible, there are a lot of government buildings and "annex" type offices in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

ANOther
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks.

Zen Pharmacy
11-13-2008, 11:49 PM
There is an official governor's mansion and office are in Juneau. She's generally only down there when legislature is in session. I never really paid attention to how much time or where Murkowski stayed when he was governor.

Mom sent me a picture a few weeks ago where her class took a picture holding a homemade Obama banner in front of the mansion. It was kind of cute because they thought they were doing something really bad and kept looking around like they were going to get in trouble (her class ranges from kindergarten to 7th grade).