Weight Loss Support - Frig!

View Full Version : Frig!

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
So I just got back from the doctors and something he said has really made me wonder... I told him I was on a diet of my own type, and asked him what the best exercise to lose weight was... He told me exercise wasn't going to help lose weight... I'm lazy as it is and now he almost gave me an EXCUSE not to exercise... So all I ask is for the people who have been losing weight, tell me PLEASE that exercise is a big factor....

alinnell
11-11-2008, 05:02 PM
The SECRET to weight loss is to eat less and move more (that means exercise).

ETA: I don't like exercise, either. But a 20 minute brisk walk every day isn't too terrible if you think about it.

mazza
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
IT'S HUGE!!!!!!!!!!:D

I could ramble about all of the benefits like crazy, but you know it - I know it - exercise is vital to any weight loss program, especially if you want to keep the weight off.

raw23
11-11-2008, 05:06 PM
He said exercise won't help you lose weight? Are you sure about that? Might need a new dr! :)
It's all about calories in vs calories out. If your not burning more than your eating then your going to gain weight or just never lose. Dont exercise and it will take a lot longer to lose the weight. Not saying you can't lose weight without exercise, it will just be slower.

Darby1
11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree with Raw; it might be time to find a new doc!

Irregardless if he thinks exercise will help you lose weight or not, exercise is so important for health! Read this (http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/benefits.html) for a list of benefits!

Billies Pottery
11-11-2008, 05:12 PM
It's weird that a Dr would tell you exercise wouldn't help you lose weight.

I think, and i just wrote something like this on another post,
eating better is more important than exercising simply because it is so easy to eat 1000 calories but takes so long to burn off that many calories.
So, you could lose weight simply by eating a lower amount of calories than you need everyday.

But exercise certainly helps for a lot of reasons:
it makes you feel better, stronger, healthier
it builds up your strength in your heart and body
it helps to burn calories
it's good for improving self esteem

My motto is eat less, move more!

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys, If I had the choice I would change doctors but he's my new doctor because I didn't have one and he was the only one available for new patients.

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Is skipping with a rope about the same as walking? I live in the country and have super rude neighbours so i can't bring myself to walk in front of them and there's only about a 2 minute walk on my street untill it's highway...

mazza
11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Skipping rope is higher intensity than walking - it'll burn more calories in a smaller period of time.

raw23
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I think it's more intense. It'll get your heart rate up a lot faster than walking will. You can walk for an hour, but you can't jump rope for an hour! I bet I couldn't even do it for 3 minutes...

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
I'll bet I can!!!!!! ahaha IT'S ONNNNN. I'll let you know, I have to go buy one first though so I don't know when it will be.

luvja
11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Exercise is key in weight loss. I don't do much, I walk about 3-4 times a week, 25 mins each time. And it works for me.

luvja
11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
P.S. Hello from Hamilton :)
Another Canadian sister. Woo!

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
thanks luv, where in ontario are you?

raw23
11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
:lol:

You could do it with an imaginary rope! Guess that would just be jumping...

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
AHAHAH... I don't know about imaginary... I could always use an extension cord...

PhotoChick
11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Any doctor who says you don't need to exercise should turn in his medical degree. Good GRIEF.

Yes, exercise is important. Skipping rope is good - and it can be very high intensity. You can also do some muscle building and body resistance training at home. Squats, lunges, pushups, situps, crunches, etc.

Michellelee
11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
:lol:

You could do it with an imaginary rope! Guess that would just be jumping...

I love the picture of this! I know that the last time I lost weight(84 pounds before baby #3), I did it without exercise. Mostly because everytime I would start to exercise on a regular basis, my weight loss would stall and I didn't have the patience to not see the scale move after working so hard. The bad thing about that was that I always felt better when I would exercise. Sooooo, this time I am exercising 3X a week and eating healthy but making myself have patience and not give up when I see the same numbers. I know that I feel better.

luvja
11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Ace,
Hamilton. :)

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
thanks for the advice people:D and hamilton:P nice

luvja
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
and hamilton :P nice

Yeah not really lol. If you consider prostitutes, steel factories, and crack "nice", then Hamilton's the place for you! :)
haha ;)

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I lived in Vancouver for a while, I guess it's kinda like that but smaller.... I didn't know hamilton was like that.... and Now I do.

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
He said that eating properly was the only thing that was going to help, he said exercise will only help you keep at the same weight. And I said "but it burns calories when you exercise" and he said yeh but you would have to run 10km to lose any weight doing it.

luvja
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah Hamilton is called the "Armpit" of Ontario!.

But yeah, you really should exercise. Even if it's just going for a few short walks during the week. Just to get your heart rate up, and tone your body. Walking is the best exercise. Your Doctor is wrong.

lifechange
11-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Unbelievable. Just look at biggest loser. Sure you can lose weight without exercise but it is much harder and slower. Exercise will help keep your metabolism high, it will give you more energy, and it will make you look better. Who wants to be skinny fat? If you exercise your inches will drop faster than your weight- you will be toned. I can't say enough about exercise.
As far as being lazy- aren't we all when our weight is high. Exercise is no fun when you are heavy. I did diet alone for the first month, just to get started and not put too much pressure on myself. Also my initial weightloss was strong, so I wanted to save the exercise for when I needed an extra boost for my loss. I started at home with DVD's ie turbojam, the firm. Then I started riding my bike- what a sense of accomplishment. After 3.5- 4 months I joined the Y and started working out on different equipment and doing more weighttraining to develop strong muscle tone. Now what I will say is that if you exercise and don't diet you probably won't lose because you will still be intaking more than you are burning off.

JayEll
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey! :wave:

Exercise alone won't help you lose weight... you do have to eat the right way to lose. But movement is always a good thing because it helps get your muscles in shape, and healthy muscles like to burn fat. What your doctor says is partly true--exercise does not burn that many calories. But it does make your body more able to burn calories throughout the day (and maybe even at night).

Have you found the 300+ Forum?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124

You can get some tips there about starting out--also, check with the Exercise forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I don't know much about you, but I wouldn't start right out jumping rope at your current weight. It is awfully hard on the knees and feet because of the impact. Check around--here's a link to a site that has some information about exercise for obese people:

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/obese_exercise_2.htm

Good luck! Don't let your doctor discourage you! :cheer3:

Jay

Schumeany
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
His comment is just odd. Of course, it sounds like what he was trying to say, since he commented on changing eating habits, is that if you didn't alter your eating habits too, exercise would not be enough. I mean, if you kept eating piles of junk and did, say, thirty minutes of moderate cardio a few times a week, those 200 calories here or there probably wouldn't make much of an impact. However, if you are eating a restricted diet, those 200 calories add up. Also, it sounds like he didn't even mention the fact that if you do resistance training and build up your muscle mass, you will burn more calories ALL THE TIME...even sleeping. Idjit doctor... :dizzy:

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
well, I just ordered Biggest loser cardio max because somebody on this forum told me it helped them... so YAY. and I'm going to be getting a skipping rope. I was thinking about joining a gym but I'm not ready to go to one to watch all the barbie *****es compete for the guys attention while my tits are slapping me in the face when I jog.. NOT FOR ME THANKS.

Annie Pele
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Exercise makes a huge difference. Next time you see the Dr., ask him WHY he thinks exercise won’t make a difference, especially since every Dr. and health agency gives daily recommendations on how much exercise we should get every day to maintain health. Exercise is a necessity to be healthy. Maybe this Dr. is not sympathetic to heavier people? Maybe you could call around and see if any of the other doctors that are not presently taking new patients can fit you in sometime in the future.

To me the best reason to exercise is to have the calories to eat more food! If I want to eat a decent amount (1600 calories for me and one day off when I eat a little more) I have to put in the time on my elliptical machine 6 days a week, and take a walk outside 2-3 days a week.

Start slow and work your way up!

EZMONEY
11-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I know you can lose weight without exercise because I know people that have.

I think you will lose quicker with exercise too....works for me!

However, I think the key to exercise is this.....

When I exercise I feel better ~ I see other people doing it....like 5K's and gym work. I think exercise helps you to focus on something good each day that you are doing for yourself instead of the I CAN'T have this goodie or that goodie.

Being outside on a nice day sure can put a hop in your step....beats watching Judge Judy....it does....yes it does!

So then why aren't you all in my 5K?...go here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154952

FB
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
While I think exercise is very important I do believe that losing weight is 80-90% diet. Don't get me wrong, I exercise a ton of hours every month - but I credit diet with getting me to where I'm at with weight loss. For the physique I'm building I credit 100% to exercise.

I was thinking about joining a gym but I'm not ready to go to one to watch all the barbie *****es compete for the guys attention while my tits are slapping me in the face when I jog.. NOT FOR ME THANKS

Noooo... that's not what any gym I've ever been to is about. I shared the same idea initially, before I stepped foot in a gym. In the last 6 months I've visited dozens of gyms and I've never seen it like that. I'm usually busy concentrating on myself, my time there - my workout, so I won't say there's nobody there like that, but I'm too busy and wrapped up in my own self to notice.

A gym can be great motivation for some to go get their exercise in, don't let your ideas of how other people behave stop you from going if you're interested!

healthytoad
11-11-2008, 08:16 PM
My doctor explained as diet for short term weight loss, exercise is for long term weight loss. Those muscles you build require more calories for up keep than fat does. So you are building a fat burning factory when you exercise :)

JulieJ08
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
About 10 years ago, I lost weight (I can't remember how much, but not so very much, maybe 15 pounds?) down to 130, and all I did was weight training. I did try to eat better in general, but that was a *very* general effort. I didn't restrict or count calories at all. So I disagree that you can't lose weight just with exercise. However, I don't think that would have worked this time around. I think that is for several reasons - I'm older (big reason!) - I was much heavier this time - and this time I had many years of eating very, very badly. My body was just much farther out of whack this time.

rockinrobin
11-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Exercise is definitely a very, very vital piece of the weight loss equation. Not sure why the doc would say other wise. Don't know where I'd be without it, don't want to know either. But I do know this, I could be exercising 24/7 and if if I weren't carefully monitoring my caloric intake, the exercise would be pointless. Pointless. "They" say that weight loss is 80% diet/20% exercise. Could that be what the *ahem* good doctor was trying to get at? :dunno:

cmonamonamona
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
For me, the controlled eating makes more of a difference than exercise. But exercise is good at preventing seems like every health problem. Everytime I read about a disease or condition, the article seems to point out that exercise can help prevent or lessen the condition.

My friend went to a doctor and heard the opposite advice. He said to exercise on the days that you eat implying that you eat every day so you should exercise every day.

Satisfaction
11-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Excercise is just as important as eating healthy! I swear nothing feels better then getting out the ipod and going for a jog ( but not in this winnipeg weather YIKES!!!) and also going to gym with ipod and walking fast on that... uhhh whats it called... the tread climber? I LOVE that thing its SO good and burns like 2-3x more then being on treadmill alone. I also love to bike and thats easy too even if youre a bit heavier. I have heard from multiple people doctor and trainer alike that the best thing to do if you are a bit heavier and want to lose weight is alot of cardio. Good thing to get that heart in shape!!!

grneyedmustang
11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
From my own personal experience, I lose a lot more when I exercise. Plus, I feel better (I'm not as tired), I have more endurance, and I'm starting to see muscle tone.

I don't work out more than an hour or an hour and fifteen, usually, either; so I don't think you have to work out for 2 hours a day to see results.

kittycat40
11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
He said that eating properly was the only thing that was going to help, he said exercise will only help you keep at the same weight. And I said "but it burns calories when you exercise" and he said yeh but you would have to run 10km to lose any weight doing it.

I think he was being a jerk. I also think he was trying to make the point that it is primarily important to address one's intake.

Without a doubt, exercise is critical. That said, I read somewhere around here (I think, maintainers forum) that weight loss/maintenance is 85% diet.

work it chick! :)

H8cake
11-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I've tried to lose weight on cutting calories without exercising and it didn't work for me. I lose much more when I exercise. I exercise for 30 minutes, five days a week and it makes such a difference. It makes me feel so much better. I have a treadmill so I do that. I go as fast as I can on it so that I'm sweating pretty good by the time I get off. I've done aerobic videos in the past and those work great too.

inspired by you
11-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys, If I had the choice I would change doctors but he's my new doctor because I didn't have one and he was the only one available for new patients.

Hi Beautiful, I just moved to Ottawa and was wondering where you found a doctor. I live in Orleans and have an interview with a Doc today. I didnt like him on my first "meeting" with him, I hope he's better this time.

PaulaM
11-12-2008, 06:55 PM
If it doesn't help then why can Michael Phelps eat 12,000 calories a day or whatever they said he did?

valpal23
11-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Ok. as a person whose lost more than 100 pounds I can tell you exercise makes a huge difference.

but in my experience.. the calories burned from exercise are not what make the huge difference - it's the feeling and focus exercise gives me. I plan exercise into my day and it helps me deal with stress in a healthy way. Diet is really the key to successful weight loss.. but exercise is a big part of maintaining a food plan, in my experience anyways. I would just eat my feelings without it!

Beautiful Ace
11-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Beautiful, I just moved to Ottawa and was wondering where you found a doctor. I live in Orleans and have an interview with a Doc today. I didnt like him on my first "meeting" with him, I hope he's better this time.

My doctor is beside the movie theater in orleans, well more like across the parking lot and to the right if you facing the parking lot from the street. Right beside the asian grocery store.

Beautiful Ace
11-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone:D I have a dvd called biggest loser cardio max coming in the mail so I can't wait to start:D

inspired by you
11-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Mine is in the Superstore on Innes. His name is Dr Lapointe. There was also a new female doc too but she was booked up a lot farther than the guy and I'm not picky so really didnt matter to me. But if you find you are too unhappy you might wanna give them a call...I just went and had my physical with dr. Lapointe today and he was really nice. I would have to say my first impression of him was not a good one. He runs a tight ship and is very strict about being on time. He said he will not make you wait but more than that he will not wait on you. If your late he wont see you. But I can live with that, and he was really nice today...He did offer me diet pills when I told him I was working out and eating better. I told him no thanks, I wanna do it my way. He said my way was better but just wanted me to know there were other options if I felt I needed the help. Anyway. I think I rambled enough. good luck with your Doc. Hope it was just one bad visit.

Beautiful Ace
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I hope so too!... The last two times I went for an appointment I was there 5 minutes early, and ended up waiting 45 minutes both times.

Jen415
11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Some other DVDs that are friendlier to larger folk like you and me are Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies. Say what you want about the man, but his workouts are really good!

Beautiful Ace
11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Some other DVDs that are friendlier to larger folk like you and me are Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies. Say what you want about the man, but his workouts are really good!

ahaha I have no opinion on him, but thanks for the idea. When I get tired of this routine ill order him:)

tarryn
11-13-2008, 10:51 PM
hey im a bit late coming in here- but i think ure doctor is an idiot because i understand what he means- he has just worded it wrong
My training tells me every time- you cant loser weight by JUST exercising.
and he is so right, before i started eating healthy i exercised 6 days a week- an at a very high intensity with my trainer, however i still continued to eat crap-therefor never losing any weight.

Ive heard weight loss is 70% diet and 30% exercise, im not sure about everyone else but from my experience i think that is pretty true.

you can 1. eat well and not exerciese- and still lose (slowly, but u def still lose!)
2. exercise and eat really bad- and not lose
3. or combine the two, as i think you were implying to your doctor and have a quicker loss!

He is ridiculous for not explaining his reasoning to u however!

Beautiful Ace
11-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty sure he just wanted to be done with me ASAP.