General chatter - Do your friends and family know about 3FC?

mazza
11-09-2008, 04:07 AM
This virtual online world provides unique support and here we can share our thoughts and experiences about a number of different things - not just dieting.

It occured to me to think about this the other day when I told my mother about the forums for the first time since I joined almost a year ago. I didn't purposely hide it, it just never really occured to me to tell her. Lately I find myself recounting things I read on the forums to friends, and telling jokes I hear from all of you fellow 3FCers.

But enough about my ranting.

So, do your friends and family know you come on 3FC?

JayEll
11-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Some do, but they aren't interested in visiting. I never tell them my user name, however. Think about it... I might say things here that they wouldn't want to know about.

Jay

Dazzling
11-09-2008, 07:29 AM
No, none of my friends or family members know about 3FC, for the simple reason that they were NEVER overweight ! And I don't bother telling them cause somehow they wouldn't understand the purpose !

But I m glad I m becoming a regular member, it sure really helps along the way. And even after I reach my goal weight, I will continue visiting and be active in the forum cause I know I would make lots of friends here, YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL, AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT.

Ruthxxx
11-09-2008, 07:52 AM
They know about it and frequently order stuff through Amazon from here. (3FC benefits!) My daughter is a member but seldom logs on - in fact, I think her registration was cancelled for lack of use!

Extasee58865
11-09-2008, 08:04 AM
My husband knows that there is a super website I go to to learn & chat with other people that are trying to lose weight, but that's it. He doesn't now the name of the site however. I'd kind of like to keep it my little secret you know. 3FC is where I go for support and can be completely honest, I don't want my friends & family impeeding on that.

auntie g
11-09-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm with Extasee. My husband knows, but would never bother trying to find it on his own. It's nice to be able to talk about things with people who either understand the plight, or when it's not about diet, can be more objective than close family and friends. And they don't need to know everything, anyway! ;)

kittycat40
11-09-2008, 08:15 AM
My husband knows that there is a super website I go to to learn & chat with other people that are trying to lose weight, but that's it. He doesn't now the name of the site however. I'd kind of like to keep it my little secret you know. 3FC is where I go for support and can be completely honest, I don't want my friends & family impeeding on that.

same for me, but i told him the name. there's no way he'll ever remember it or even think to check it out.

I did tell one friend and she shared the info w/her sister. but for the most part, i think of this place as a weapon in my personal arsenal. maybe weapon does not connote the right image... no, it does.

you all help protect me from ..... you fill in the blank-- it changes on different days. i guess mostly myself :D

:hug:

nelie
11-09-2008, 08:43 AM
I've been on 3FC for many years, it'd be hard to hide it but I really didn't tell my husband until he saw me looking at the website and asked about it. I think that was when we first started living together. I hadn't told anyone else. Then when I went to meet some of the other mods, my mother in law asked "how do you know these people?" and I told her.

TJFitnessDiva
11-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I've told family and friends about this website when they ask me how I stay motivated. :) 3FC plays a big hand in that!

jmb1981
11-09-2008, 09:21 AM
i have shared the site with some other women who are trying to lose weight. i'm not sure they have ever visited it though. i go on and on about how wonderful it is, but i don't think they believe me. i would assume my hubby knows i visit some forum site and he has probably figured out what it is (it's in the drop down list on our computer and it says "3 fat chicks on a diet! famous weight loss support"). i doubt that he would ever go to the site though. i like having this site as my own little thing though. it's my little secret weapon for weight loss!

zeffryn
11-09-2008, 10:01 AM
My husband knows all about it. We frequently have discussions based on topics that I find on the boards. He thinks it is great that I've found a means of external (meaning outside of our family) support.

We're both members of quite a few different forums, so I guess it really isn't as taboo as other couples.

PhotoChick
11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I mention it to friends/family as "a weight loss and fitness board I belong to" ... but I don't go into specifics.

It's hard to keep it a secret though, when every now and then I will have a conversation that starts with "I read the other day ... " or "I was talking to someone the other day ... " and then I have to say where I read it or who I was talking to. :)

WebRover
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
DH knows. I've told him the website and he'd recognize my username. I bring up things I find here and share some of the amusing info. He has boards that he visits that I'm not so interested in.

I've shared the website name with friends, but doubt they've visited. I haven't shared my username with them.

walking2lose
11-09-2008, 10:41 AM
My DH frequently comes and reads over my shoulder- yes, it is annoying. He does it just for a sec to tease me and always asks, "How are the diets going?" He actually will yell this to me from anywhere in the house, whenever I am on the computer - whether I am on 3FC or not. He also used to joke that he was going to get an account, so he could talk to me online. I don't spend nearly as much time on here as I did about a year ago (maybe why I gained some weight back??), but he used to tease me a lot because I was on here a lot.

I've told several friends and tried to encourage them to use it. I have 2 extremely obese coworkers/friends - I've been telling them about 3FC for a couple of years. I REALLY THINK THEY COULD BENEFIT BY JOINING THIS FORUM! The one friend is a couple years younger than I am, but she struggles to walk from her classroom to the main office to get copies made. She has been worried about diabetes since I've known her, since her overweight mother and brother have been diagnosed with type II. Although she's been worried, she has not lost any weight. Well, lo and behold, this summer, just before we returned to school, she was diagnosed. Her doctor gave her an ultimatum - lose weight or begin insulin. He told her that her health will just go downhill. She is 37, has kids, and a great husband. I don't think she's ready for debilitating health issues, so she joined weight watchers. She lost 10 lbs. this month, which is great.

However, when I asked her if she had thought about getting on 3FC for support (just last week), she said, "Nah, I am really getting enough support at WW meetings." While I think that's wonderful, I don't understand her reluctance to join this forum - I think it could be so helpful to her.

Anyway, that was a tangent. Sorry!

One last thing - Although I've shared the site with many friends, I've never run across anyone I "know" on here. I suppose they could figure out who I am from my username and reading my posts, but I don't think anyone has.

Interesting question.

WormwoodDoll
11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
My FH husband knows about this since I'm on here most of the time. He likes to read my post. Haha.

Some of my friends do, too, but no one from my family.

Ashley
11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Nope, I'm the only one who knows about it. I kinda want to keep it that way =)

raw23
11-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I told my BF. Then he joined. But no one else... no has ever asked either though.

luvja
11-09-2008, 01:27 PM
My immediate family knows I'm on a weight loss support forum, aswell as select friends. Other than my best friend, no one knows the name of the website.

Billies Pottery
11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
My hubby and daughter know i am hooked on a new weightloss forum. I haven't told them the name tho. I have told my sister all about it. I have basically challenged her to get on here and find out my username. I don't know that she will. She could use the external support as well, she has PCOS. For the first time in our lives, i weigh more than her.

I checked out the site while i was at school the other day and became immediately embarrassed that someone might see it on the address bar since it is computer that everyone in my department uses, so i erased all the history so noone could see.

murphmitch
11-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I've shared this website with family and co-workers. I've even encouraged people I've worked with to use this forum for diet support and info about South Beach diet. I know if someone saw my user name they would probably figure out that it's me, but I'm not embarrassed by anything that I post here, so I really don't care.

Schumeany
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I am not much of a secret keeper when it comes to myself. Basically, I figure that if I put my whole self out there than at least then if people don't like me, it is the actual me they don't like...which feels more honest. :) So, if people ask about my weight loss, I invariably mention this site to them.

My husband is rather fondly supportive of how much time I spend on here. Whenever I'm on the computer, he always asks how the "fatchicks" are doing, and whether I've learned anything new today (He is also on a weight loss program and has lost about the same amount of weight that I have...so he is often curious about the various topics, and almost everyday I read him or talk to him about something I've learned.

CountingDown
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I've mentioned the site to friends that are interested in weight/loss, maintenance or exercise.

DH is very aware of the site - he sees me on it daily ;)

He even visited the site at work to show someone my progress pictures :o so he obviously knows my screen name as well.

I WISH more folk that I know would visit the site. The information I read hear is GREAT, and the maintainers here are so encouraging and wise :D

Michellelee
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I've told my DH and my mother who is trying to lose some weight. Also, today I thought about telling a friend at church who is trying to lose weight--until I remembered that she doesn't even have an e-mail account. Ugh! What did the world do without the internet? I would seriously only tell people who are looking for help, at least until I hit my goal weight.

mazza
11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I've mentioned the site to friends that are interested in weight/loss, maintenance or exercise.

That's what I love about the site. The range of different things you can come on here to get support for.

PearFreak
11-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I've mentioned it to DH, he's seen me on here a time or two... other then that no one else knows. Not sure anyone would even know me either (Screen name). But then again?

sweet_talker
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I kind of like it just being something for me...though I've mentioned to my mom, and dad as well as a couple friends that I go on an online forum about health and weight related topics. I don't really think I know anyone else who would be too interested?

This is an interesting thread! :)

alinnell
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
My family certainly knows about 3FC. In fact I often refer to everyone here as my "fat friends" (although for most of us I should say my formerly fat friends!!). They know to whom I am referring when I say it that way in any case (and I don't have to explain further than that).

Slashnl
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Back before I gained some of the weight back... other story... I had told my doctor about it. She was going to recommend it to some of her patients.

My family knows about it, but they aren't all that interested in reading it. And, they don't know my user name!

Arlene Dallas
11-10-2008, 07:33 PM
My BF knows I am on the site and will sit here next to me and occasionally read my posts or we will discuss something I am reading...but his interest pretty much stops there. He is muscular, 32 in waist, physically fit and works out every day. He eats healthy the majority of the time but he can eat junk too when he feels like it. He has never had a weight problem and doesnt understand it at all. He thinks any obsession with something whether its food, smoking, alcohol, sex, etc. is simply a matter of putting your mind to it to get rid of the "problem". But he has never once mentioned my weight and is great to cook and exercise with.

cher37
11-10-2008, 10:59 PM
My hubby, son, & sister all know that I use 3FC for support.

I mention it to others in conversation sometimes.

There are great ladies on 3FC & I am grateful for the accountability.

/cher

EZMONEY
11-11-2008, 12:04 AM
My kids and all of my family and Angie's family know...and of course Angie sneaks in every now and then. I share certain threads with them and they often ask "What's new with your Fat Chicks?" all being very respectful...at first....many years ago, they teased me...until they saw the site and began to understand what it really is for.

FB
11-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't go into specifics, but my hub and best friend know I use a forum. I don't care for them to know the web address although I know neither have the time or energy to figure out who I am and hunt posts down.

This is all mine, and yours!

srmb60
11-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Dh will be coming downstairs in a few minutes and he'll ask if I'm "checking on my fat chicks?"

I've refered a few friends who have signed up but disappear. A couple come here to read.

A nice story? I have a coworker who is a cancer survivor. She was very touched and excited to find cancer survivors here who were building back their good health.

I tell everyone! When the book came out, I carried it with me with a bookmark in the page where I'm quoted.

Melly30
11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I found this site from a myspace friend who looked so great with her weight loss and this is where she said she goes to for support so here I am!

And I have told several people including friends and family. They are all supportive and think it's pretty cool. :hug:

mazza
11-11-2008, 04:46 PM
They .... think it's pretty cool.

They're right :)

SBD Sass
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
My DD13 is the only one that notices it because she likes the name of the site. It makes her laugh. But nobody else pays attention to it and I don't talk about it so...you know...

Mom2QJandT
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
My boyfriend knows that I'm always "reading on my weight loss website". He doesn't know the name of it or anything, but enjoys hearing about some of the things I read. My best friend is around here somewhere, sometimes it freaks me out a little to open up a thread and there's Nichole looking at me! I'm so glad that she's here!

kelly315
11-11-2008, 05:58 PM
my boyfriend obviously sees me on it, and I've told him about it, and I mentioned it in passing to my mom.

EZMONEY
11-11-2008, 07:42 PM
You do have to be careful if others know you are here!

I remember a few years back. Angie had gone to visit her mom and sister for the week-end. I had one of my "humor" threads going and Angie shared it with her family....as I said they know I go here. Anyway I casually mentioned something about her going and glad I didn't have to go to my mother in law's for the week-end.

I went on the thread...Angie had got in, she knows all my passwords, and I got this....

"You are so busted!"....Anne (of course that is my mil!)

Beautiful Ace
11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Since i've only joined yesterday I havn't had much chance to tell people. I told one of my friends who lives far away from me, she joined already. I told another one of my friends and also I told my mom. She thinks its good since I just asked her to borrow her visa card to buy an exercise DVD ahahah.

Haley8203
11-11-2008, 07:48 PM
my boyfriend, my mom and one friend know about it because they are the people that are my offline support lol

clewles81
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
My husband knows that I go to a website for weight loss support, but I don't think that he has really taken the time to research it or pull it up and look at it. He is just glad that I found somewhere to discuss it instead of driving him crazy talking about food and weight loss all the time!!

Smiling_Sara
11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
They know of a online website that has been a huge help bc these ppl are going through the same struggles as I am with weight. I don't think they know the name of it tho. I like it better that way too, I think. Bc sometimes I feel like I can breakdown and vent, cry, be angry, etc and tell you all these feelings that I don't think I could to my family.

mazza
11-12-2008, 12:29 AM
sometimes I feel like I can breakdown and vent, cry, be angry, etc and tell you all these feelings that I don't think I could to my family.

:):hug:

princess2323
11-12-2008, 01:06 AM
my family and friends don't really know but my husband kind of knows but has never mentioned it--- and maybe my students i told a student to look it up once for her daughter--- which i'm hoping she did but i'm assuming she hasnt cause she never mentioned it

CandyKisses0204
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I told one person that there was this super cool weight loss site but i never told her what it was called. I sort of purposly kepy 3fc a secret. Its a place where i dont have to worry about asking a silly question or venting abo ut my bff. Its kind of selfish and very silly but 3FC is the only thing/place that i feel is 'mine.' Like the only thing that i have to go to just to relax and not have to share with anyone. Now dont get me wrong if one of my friends was trying super hard to lose weight i would tell her this place is great but for the mean time i like it being my little world.

Beautiful Ace
11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Today I told the guidance counselor at my school, as well as the principal and two secretaries. And a couple friends.\
I go to an alternative school with about 150 students. A close knit family I call them.

Ufi
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
This is my place. Mine! Mine! Mine! Maybe some day I'll feel up to sharing with people who know me, but it was only this week that I've even owned up to losing weight to people outside of here. And that was prompted by someone noticing. Not sure why, but I just want to be secret about it.

Funny, though, because I thought of mentioning it when I read in the newspaper that the government was seeking comments about a plan to combat obesity. They had some of the things listed in the plan, and I thought, "Oooooh, they should totally know about this site."