Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #1  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Question How to avoid muscle cramps?

I used to exercise fairly regularly - or try, anyhow. I seem to be sufficiently out of shape that I can't even exercise, if that makes any sense. I have a heart monitor, and I would try to get cardio exercise (with a video, or my Gazelle) but I never was able to get to a good heartrate and stay there for more than maybe 15 minutes before getting really fierce cramping (or "stitches") in my sides. Not just sometimes, every single time. I tried and tried, but I couldn't figure out the cause. Didn't seem to be hydration since neither drinking more water nor less helped at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? I feel like maybe I need to tone my abs more or something, or maybe stretch a lot more, but I'm not sure how to do either of those.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #2  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

It seems to me like you are trying to do too much too fast. I know that when I get to my target heart rate, I am all out sprinting. I am not in shape enough to sprint without it hurting either during or afterwards or both. I have started exerciseing again, but am starting slowly.

One program that I really like and doesnt cause that pain is the c25k. It starts slow and gets you in shape. I dont get sore afterwards and it is a great cardio workout. I have never been a runner in my life, but now it is becoming an empowering part of my week. You can find threads in a couple different places for the c25k. Here is the website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Also, here is a link for a thread for week 1: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155026

Good luck! Hope this helps.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote