Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Default Ravenous?

I have a problem: I am legitimately ravenous all the time.

Sometimes I make wise food choices while in this state, but other times, I think I eat all my dedication and then find some sloppy seconds.

I do all the "right" things like eat every 2-3 hours, eat plenty of protein and fiber, and am very physically active, but NOT active ENOUGH to be as RAVENOUS as I am!

I have decided this may quite possibly be diabetes-related, since insulin is known to cause an increase in appetite.

I also get low blood sugar quite frequently, but am trying to get that a little more under control. I used to get hypos every day, but now it's not as bad.

Does anyone else have this problem? AND how do you deal with it?

Thaaaanks!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

IMHO, it is definitely related to the insulin, SHANE . . . I was off insulin for a year (I'm type II) and just went back on two or three weeks ago and boy, oh boy, have I ever noticed an increase in appetite. BUT, the BGL control is so much better.

I'm now using Lantus ie., insulin glargine and I'm in love with it, because it is controlling the BGL without giving me those nasty lows that I was getting almost daily when I was using Insulin NPH. One shot of the Glargine a day coupled with my glyburide and metformin keeps me quite level all day. I know that it is also used by a lot of type I's coupled with some fast acting insulin at mealtimes. What type, or types, of insulin are you using???

As far as advice -- basically, at the moment I have none, since I'm not doing very well controlling my own appetite -- just try to fill up with with lots of low carb veggies such as salads and broth based soups.

Good Luck, Chickie . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Meowee -
I'm on Lantus and Humalog.

I was on NPH once. I HATED NPH because of the crazy peaking. If you don't eat on time, you're going to get low on that stuff Thankfully, Lantus doesn't have the peaking effect, but other things will drive my blood sugars down anyway, like physical activity (sometimes), concentrating heavily on work (if I get low, I am less likely to notice then until I'm *really* low), taking slightly too much Humalog at meal time, hot weather, cold weather (though rarely), and lots of other things

I have heard that part of the reason insulin makes us hungry is because there is another part of the beta cell we lack: amylin. That, to my understanding, is what things like Symlin and Byetta are for -- the lack of amylin makes us hungrier and Symlin/Byetta/related things help control that.

I proposed the idea of going on Symlin to my doc, but he told me it was unnecessary because I already have good control and was able to solve my weight problem on my own - so in his eyes, I don't need it, BUT it sure would HELP!!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I don't know anything about Symlin, but Byetta has had some bad press lately (think I remember posting an article about it). The only people I've known on Byetta have been on 3FC (it's never been approved in Canada) and I know they've mentioned that it can be a bit erratic.

Geez, don't you wish the doctors could actually be inside our bodies for a little while to find out what is really going on -- all too often, they give the impression that they think it should be soooooo easy.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote