Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #1  

Default stretch marks and weight loss?

so I know when you gain weight rapidly, you can get stretchmarks since your skin has to stretch itself to accomodate your new fat, but I've heard of people getting stretch marks while losing weight. Is this a case of stretch marks just becoming more visible with weight loss? since they're no longer hidden by rolls of fat? beause i don't see why one would gain stretch marks as they lose weight. I can understand lose skin, but not stretch marks.

also how common is it to gain stretch marks during weight loss if it really does happen? I'm pretty terrified of getting more stretch marks, as I already have a fair share.

thanks in advance
bucketofbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/170/130

My personal experience, I've been losing a few pounds, and strech marks that weren't there before have definently started to show. They aren't too much to worry about though, I immediately started putting lotion on whenever I thought about it, and even 2 days later they are starting to go away.
Pint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You don't get stretch marks when you get smaller - stretch marks are from skin being stretched past its elasticity by excess weight (or babies).

What you see are those stretch marks puckering some as you lose weight. So those that you never saw before will become apparent to you.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #4  
cher37

Yep - I agree with Lori - years back, when I gained 28lbs from pregnancy I thought that I didn't have any stretch marks ... until ... I started losing my weight.

sorry, bucket, probably not what you wanted to hear

(unfortunately, long story short - I gained 60lbs in the next yr, lost some, gained some, lost some, gained some, & will hopefully finally lose for the last time - I look forward to the day when I can determine what to do with the stretch marks once & for all!!)
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

I use the Avon lotion for stretch marks and it really helps to fade them. I know they are never going to go away but that okay because they are a reminder of being overweight.
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

As Lori said, it's not a stretch mark, but stretched skin starting to come back together and showing where it had stretched out.

I have plenty around my abdomen and sides, but I'm ok with them. They aren't that noticable and like AngelMae said, they remind me of how far I've come.

Use some lotion and if you tan that may help disguise them some as well. I'd rather have stretch marks then be overweight.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I actually think that some have disappeared with my weight loss and others are appearing
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Ugh, I hope I don't get stretch marks....
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/228/170

Height: 5'7

i believe that the new strecth marks that you have noticed arent really "new" they were there but not as noticeable because of the weight. try using cocoa butter and other fade creams!!!!
Ladybug18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Stretch marks are a small price to pay for a leaner, hotter, healthier body.

Whether you will get them depends on so many factors. If your weight has fluctuated a lot, you may be more prone to them, and the same goes for loose skin.

Also, I've seen *thin* people with stretch marks, too. Some people just grow too fast during puberty.

And oddly enough, my biceps have vague amounts of stretch marks because they increased a little in size/muscle definition.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

wow, I was JUST wondering this morning if I was going crazy or if my stretch marks are more visible.

I'm not sure why they are, but they sure are!

Although I do think part of it is that since I've been losing weight I'm more aware of how my body looks and I don't just look at my face in mirrors.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote