South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1  

Default Beans and Dairy

I keep seeing them recommended to reduce cravings, etc. I have read the SBD book twice, and again today, trying to find that advice in the book.

Where are you getting this info? I even looked over the Phase 1 sample menus and none of them have beans listed.

I know when I did SBD the first time, I did eat a lot of black beans, usually with dinner or lunch. I don't remember why I started eating them, but I must have read somewhere that I needed to eat them. I'm just curiuos. I love eating beans and do try to eat them often, but I don't eat them everyday.

I drink 3 servings of dairy daily, because I have read it aids in weightloss.

Thanks in advance.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #2  

I don't know that it has ever been recommended in the book or anything official but we have long recommended it here because the healthy carbs in the beans and dairy help to prevent the symptoms of "South Beach Flu". I just makes sense.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Experience. I haven't ever seen it recommended for reducing cravings - but reducing symptoms of SBD "Flu". Completely depriving your body of any carbs whatsoever will result in withdrawal symptoms - especially if you were eating a lot of carbs before starting. Replacing those unhealthy carbs with a few healthy ones will lessen the feelings of withdrawals.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good question! I wondered the same thing, and figured it was me skimming too much in the book!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #5  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I know why I eat beans. Beans suppress my hunger - I go through the "I'm still hungry" phases sometimes. Sometimes I eat a cup of beans as a snack. As far as stopping cravings, it doesn't help me in the area. I only get cravings when I'm going looney like I was today (there was no reason why I should have been craving M&Ms but I was), when TOM comes in and when I go on vacation because I come into contact with foods I don't normally see on a daily basis. I don't do dairy because I gain weight from it.

I also agree with the experience thing. I tried out a lot of foods to see what works and what doesn't work for me. It took me a good three weeks to get it right just starting out in P2.

Last edited by SBD Sass; 11-06-2008 at 09:14 PM.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #6  

I was lucky not to get the SB *flu*. Thanks for responding. It makes perfect sense.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

I was previously a member of the south beach diet online, and the portions/plans offered there said that 1/4-1/3 cup of beans was a daily requirement. so, that's why I eat them! I also noticed that if I don't eat them, I don't seem to lose as easily. as far as dairy goes, it keeps my blood sugar stable, especially during phase 1. if i started to feel ill, a glass of milk or some yogurt usually did the trick. also, i love milk and yogurt
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #8  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

The South Beach Diet Super Charged - the newer edition of the book - includes a long list of legumes/beans in the list of phase 1 foods. I believe they were included on the SB website after the first book was published and before the second. I believe 1/2 cup is one serving.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #9  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Huh. Weird. Now I'm really confused. I've been having a terrible time staying on SBD because while the weight flew off in Phase 1, I have been sick to my stomach pretty much the whole time. I've tried to isolate the cause, and I had thought I'd figured out it's lactose intolerance flaring up... but now y'all have me wondering if it's actually that I should have MORE dairy instead of less. I guess I need to do more experimenting - and eat more beans for sure. I should pick up the Supercharged book, I'm curious what other legumes I should try adding besides black beans.

Do I remember correctly that dried beans are way better than canned? Or are they just "better" in terms of price, not nutritionally.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I know I seem to do better when I make sure I have my yogurt everyday, which I really enjoy anyway! They did have that study that...what was it...three servings of dairy a day was linked to weight loss?

Sorry....back to on topic!

Love my beans too!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #11  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Betsi - if you are lactose intolerant, you don't have to be drinking milk....you can drink other forms of "milk" - soy, almond, etc. It isn't the cow's milk that is necessary, it is the good carbs that are associated with the "milk".

Re: Canned v. Dried beans? They are about the same nutritionally speaking, especially when you rinse canned beans thoroughly to remove the salt from the canning process (just throw them into a colander, rinse and drain). Dried are by far cheaper. A bag of dried beans = about a dollar which will make the equivalent of about 3 cans of beans...a can = about $.79.

Hope this helped a little bit

Last edited by zeffryn; 11-08-2008 at 08:36 AM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsi View Post
I'm curious what other legumes I should try adding besides black beans.
There are sooo many kinds of beans...garbanzo, kidney, lima, navy, pinto, red, etc. I buy an assortment and I do get the canned beans. Since I make small servings it's more convenient for me. I also like to use some of the dairy products that have the active probiotic cultures in them (cheese & yogurt). They seem to help my GI tract run a little "smoother".
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #13  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I know when I started WW at one point and was actively trying to get dairy in, I was eating it in FF SF pudding and something else - getting in 2 servings a day. I was having stomach cramps. I backed off and added it more slowly. I do much better with dairy in other forms: yogurt, steamed milk, cottage cheese, cheese.

Beans listed for Phase 1 are:

Fresh, frozen or canned (without added sugar). Start with 1/3 to 1/2 cup serving size.
Adzuki
Black
Black-eyed
Broad
Butter
Cannellini
Chickpeans (gabanzos)
Edamame
Fava
Great Norhern
Italian
Kidney
Lentils
Lima
Mung
Navy Pigeon
Pino
Refried, fat free, canned
Soy
Split peas
White

Last edited by WebRover; 11-08-2008 at 05:19 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #14  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post

Re: Canned v. Dried beans? They are about the same nutritionally speaking, especially when you rinse canned beans thoroughly to remove the salt from the canning process (just throw them into a colander, rinse and drain). Dried are by far cheaper. A bag of dried beans = about a dollar which will make the equivalent of about 3 cans of beans...a can = about $.79.

Hope this helped a little bit
This is correct. I compared labels and the only difference is the sodium which sucks, but when I don't want to wait for the dried beans and get a move on I cook up a pot of canned beans and go.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote