SBD Frequently Asked Questions - Help....Plumbing backed up!

View Full Version : Help....Plumbing backed up!

RealtorRose
11-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi,
I'm on my 3rd day of Phase 1 and find that I have not moved my bowels.:o I never had a problem in the past. Actually, I was quite regular (every day). What causes this? :?: Is there something I should be taking to alleviate this. I have been drinking lots of fluids especially if you count all the tea I drink.

beachgal
11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi, Realtor Rose! That's a common problem in Phase 1 (and one of the many reasons why no one should do it longer than the 2 weeks advised in the book).

As for fluids, you need to get lots of water--tea actually can make you more constipated from caffeine and (if green) diuretic properties. If your urine is very pale yellow, you're getting enough water. Otherwise, you need more. A pretty common recommendation is 64oz of plain water (not counting soft drinks, tea, etc.) a day.

Also, your bowels move when you move. Exercise is key to having regular bowels. If you haven't been doing a lot of regular exercising before Phase 1, it's not the best time to start a vigorous program, but you can definitely add in daily walks, which will help a lot.

In addition, take fiber supplements (Sugar Free Metamucil works for some, but it gives me gas, so I use Fiber Choice sugar free tablets) and make sure you're eating fiber, including beans. You'll be fine very soon. :)

Here's a discussion on this that might give you more ideas: Constipation (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146536&highlight=constipation)
and one more that also might help: SBD & Constipation (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147880&highlight=constipation)

cottagebythesea
11-05-2008, 09:19 AM
That's a pretty common problem, especially in Phase 1. Metamucil helps, and also drink plenty of water. I think we have a thread or two in the FAQs addressing this issue, too.
Another thing that helps a lot, BEANS! :)

movielover
11-05-2008, 01:39 PM
YEP....just got over it...eat beans A LOT!!! Well your serving amount, but make sure you get them! I made some nice P1 turkey chili!!

RealtorRose
11-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks everyone. It's comforting to know that what I am experiencing is normal. I do exercise but I'll definitely eat more beans!!!:carrot: I'm still a bit confused though, what in Phase II makes it stop.:?:

beachgal
11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
It's the fiber, RR. At least, that's my understanding. In Phase 2, you eat more foods with fiber (fruit, grains) and that helps make everything move along, so to speak. ;) Plus, many of those items (especially fruit) have a lot of liquid, which helps, too.

RealtorRose
11-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks Laurie...can't wait to get to Phase II...I really miss fruit.