Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #1  

Default Thanksgiving Recipes..to splurge or not to splurge?

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Are you going to let it be an "eat-whatever-I-want-cause-it's-a-holiday" day, or do you have some kind of healthy alternatives and plan to eat on the healthier side?

I wanna know!

I think I may eat pretty well...except for the sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and TONS of marshmallows! It's my once-a-year-weakness...those and Pecan Tassies...MMMMMM!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #2  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I just have a little of the things I like. My biggest splurge will prob be a dinner roll and a piece of pie. I tell myself a scoop of each now and if I am hungry a snack later. I usually never am hungry so I never get to the snack.

Also, it is Black Friday for me!!! Muhahahahah !!! Lots of calorie losing walking!!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to eat some turkey and corn .. and that's about it! and maybe a tiny bit of mash potatoes
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #4  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I'm going to pace myself throughout the day, eating fruit and stuff.. and then try to balance everything I eat out... the pumpkin pie will be my biggest splurge!
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #5  

Oh that's right! Black Friday!!! I can't wait for the Sunday paper for all the great deals!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I'm just going to watch portion sizes. I love my family's cooking!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #7  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm not gonna lie--I'll probably relax my healthy habits considerably... NOT binge, or anything even remotely similar to binging, heh, but I'm going to have a typical Thanksgiving meal (well, typical for me, i.e. Tofurky because I'm a vegetarian, hehe) and that includes many things that I typically wouldn't eat. Yes, that means mashed potatoes, stuffing, my sister's green bean casserole, dinner rolls - with ICBINB spray - and to top it off, a slice of pumpkin pie. I trust myself to have reasonable portions of everything and not just stuff myself silly "because I can," and I've already decided that I'm not going to feel guilty about setting WL aside for one measly day. I know I can return to my healthy habits the next day without thinking twice--thin people make unhealthy choices on Thanksgiving, too, ya know! Lol. And honestly, Thanksgiving is a very special occasion for me and my family, so I refuse to be on any kind of plan that forbids me from celebrating it the way I want to. I hope we will all be able to figure out what works best for us and stick to it! Good luck, ladies!

Last edited by Star2Be; 11-04-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #8  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm doing the same thing as Star2Be. I don't want to be worrying about my calorie intake for the day, so I'm going to have what I want. Including turkey, rolls, mashed potatoes n' gravy, pumpkin pie. But I will try to keep the portions small..however, if I don't oh well. Only one Thanksgiving a year
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I'll eat small portions of everything I want at dinner (and larger portions of veggies/turkey) and have a slice of pumpkin pie. I'll be out in the woods hunting all day until dinner, so I'll get PLENTY of exercise!

My usual Thanksgiving downfall is the appetizers... it's so easy to stand near that shrimp dip, cheese & crackers, veggies and dip, etc, with my glass of wine in one hand, just mindlessly snacking with the other. I'll definitely try to avoid that this year!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm not going to lie-it's going to be a splurge day for me! It's just one of those holidays where I KNOW I'm going to eat. So at the very least I can prepare for it, right? Meaning I can be really good and strict with my diet in the weeks leading up to it and then it won't be so bad to have one bad day...

Honestly, I'm just not willing to live my life dictated by a diet. I think it's ok to have a splurge every now and again. So long as one or two little splurges doesn't turn into another month long binge like it did last time...sigh.

But yeah, definitely looking forward to the turkey, stuffing, and potatoes! Yum! All my favorite foods...I dont think I could resist if I tried...
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #11  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Yeah, I'm not losing any weight that week.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #12  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Don't get me wrong, you like what you like!

Thanksgiving has always been a HUGE family holiday. But, I just don't get the appeal of turkey and stuffing. I seriously think I could go the rest of my life and not eat a bite of either.....and never miss it. It just isn't a huge deal to me!

Now chicken, well that's another story in itself!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I know how miserable I was when I ate how I 'normally' would have before I started dieting. I had a no calorie counting day for my birthday and I got SOO sick. I think with that in the back of my mind I may have a hard time eating off plan. I'm not kidding you I could not move- stupid shrinking stomach!! hahaha
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

HeatherMcG I agree COMPLETELY, the only good thing about thanksgiving is the pie. I don't even like getting together with my family that much, it often causes problems.

My problem: my parents don't approve of my weight loss. Bah. I'm not worried, I'll have a slice of pie, eat everything else normal in moderation, and throw in an extra work out. wa la!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I couldn't live my life without getting to enjoy holiday foods, so I refuse to lose weight that way either. I'll watch my portions, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only time of year I allow myself to eat mashed potatoes with butter and whole milk.

I will, however, have some healthier side dishes, and fill up on a big salad before dinner. But, gosh darn it, I will enjoy the national gluttons holiday.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote