General chatter - How long did it take you to vote today?

modkittn
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I voted this morning. In and out in 5 minutes!

midwife
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I voted 2 weeks ago. I stood in line for 30 minutes. I'm so glad you had such a quick experience, mod. I'm thrilled to see so many people excited and passionate about the election.

nods
11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
In Brooklyn NYC it took me a little more than an hour and a half. I thought I was being clever by getting there at 6 AM when the polls opened. Turns out everyone was there at the same time lined up already!

Like many polling places, it was in a school gymnasium. The kids have the day off from school, but some clever class decided to have a bake sale. They had two tables of coffee, muffins, breads...one for the outside line, one for the inside. Ohhh....I wanted a chocolate chip muffin or a butter laden piece of pumpkin bread. But I was good. I did my civic duty and went home.

junebug41
11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Early voted 2 weeks ago. Took less than 10 minutes. But then I had to wait for DH who took his sweet time. ;)

kuhljeanie
11-04-2008, 12:37 PM
i was in and out in less than 20 minutes. wish i hadn't gotten up so #*!&@# early because i thought it would take hours and I'd be late for work...:shrug:

Shannon in ATL
11-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I voted last Wednesday, 3.5 hours. In 31-35 degrees, 85% of the time was outside. But it was worth it! :)

paniania
11-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I voted last week and it took me 45 minutes. It was a total madhouse though! Thank goodness that I was in the line for Chicago suburbs because the line for the city of Chicago stretched around the entire building.

alinnell
11-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I actually voted a week or so ago. I'm a permanent absentee voter. It's so nice to sit down in the living room with all the election pamphlets and my ballot and leisurely read the pros and cons on all the measures and make informed decisions. I used to try to do this and bring along a list of what I wanted to vote for but was always surprised when I got to the polls with some office for which I didn't realize I was to vote for. This is much easier!

PhotoChick
11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I voted on Friday and it took me a little less than 2 hours. The line was way long, but it moved really fast and I had fun chatting with others in line while I was waiting.

nelie
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
No early voting here in MD and you have to state that you can't vote on voting day in order to get an absentee ballot. I could've lied but I figured I'd vote today.

I went this morning, lines were huge so I left with the thought I'd come back later. My husband went a couple hours later, the lines were even longer. He plans to try to come back later.

It is good to see long lines of people wanting to vote but it'd seem like they would add more polling places for elections where they expect large numbers.

tikanique
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Early voted on Saturday - 4 hours!!

LandonsBaby
11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I only had to wait in line about 5 minutes. My husband went at 6:30am since he had to go to work. It took him about 30 minutes which he thought was a long wait. :p

chickybird
11-04-2008, 01:35 PM
early voting two weeks ago--5 minutes!

modkittn
11-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I think early voting is different. We don't have early voting in RI. But from what I have heard, in some states that allow it each city or county, etc will only have 1 early voting polling place. Which is totally different from Election Day because those cities will have multiple polling places.

PhotoChick
11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, the way early voting worked here is that there were maybe a dozen locations in the county where you could early vote on the week before. Now, on election day, there are several hundred in the county.

As far as capacity, I don't really think anyone expected such a large turnout. By the time they figured out that it was going to be this huge, it was too late to get all the security, electronics, etc. in place to add more polling locations - not to mention redividing the existing locations and letting people know that their voting location had changed.

lizziep
11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
wow - no wonder there is such a push to talk people into voting - what a hassle for some of you gals.

I live in Oregon- all our ballots are mailed to us in plenty of time & we just mail them back. It's awesome- I spent an hour or maybe more going over all the other things on our ballot this time.

mandalinn82
11-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Less than 10 minutes here. In and out - super easy.

peachcake
11-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Oregon has mail in ballots so it was quick and easy and I finished mine quite awhile ago.

ANOther
11-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Minnesota here. We have absentee voting (in principle you have to state a reason why you can't go on the day if you vote early, although some friends of my mom's say they just voted early and nobody hassled them) and my mom (86, with arthritis) mailed in her vote a couple of weeks ago. I voted this morning and was in line just under an hour

nelie
11-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Ok so went in a little before 5, very short line, got in, got out in probably less than 10 minutes.

WebRover
11-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm one of the more than two hours. But that was actually early voting on Saturday morning. I got in line at 8:00 am and turned in my ballot at 11:45 am. 3 3/4 hours.

Arlene Dallas
11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Last election my husband and I went after work and waited in line for several hours. I worked out of my home office today and the school that is my poll place is around the corner so I ran over there around one and was in and out in less than five minutes! I'm so glad as I am sure its packed right now.

PackersBearFan
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I was in and out in about 10 minutes and I even had to register! Talk about luck!

GrlyGrl
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
It literally took me 1 minute. There was no line at all. I walked right in, got my ballot, and voted. It was about 3:30 PM, which apparently is a very good time to vote. :)

Marms
11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I just got back from voting. I was in and out in 5 minutes. I guess everyone went before work instead of after.

luvja
11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I really don't mean to sound like an idiot here but I have a question. Is this election for like a new president? George Bush won't be your president anymore????

mandalinn82
11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Luvja - Correct, we are voting for a new president. States also have individual senate, representative, and propositions/ballot measures at stake as well.

So yes, after January, George W. Bush will no longer be the president of the United States.

Hope that helps!

luvja
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Luvja - Correct, we are voting for a new president. States also have individual senate, representative, and propositions/ballot measures at stake as well.

So yes, after January, George W. Bush will no longer be the president of the United States.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for clarifying that for me. :D

Ufi
11-04-2008, 09:46 PM
I voted weeks ago too. I do miss the excitement of a polling place, but it is so nice to have the ballot at home. Plus, then I know there's no problem with being registered. I feel bad for the people who are standing in line and then finding out that they're not on the rolls.

Do any states other than Oregon do the mail vote?

EZMONEY
11-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I too am a permanent absentee voter ....mailed mine in several weeks ago...I put less than 10 minutes on the poll...cause it took me less than that to do my ballot and walk it to my mail box.

Glad you all voted! We live in a great country!

Glory87
11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you for clarifying that for me. :D

To further clarify - the US limits presidential terms to 2, so Bush is not a candidate for this election and will definitely not be the president after January.

It took me almost exactly 20 minutes to vote. Would have been quicker but I was using a paper ballot and carefully and obsessively darkened all my circles perfectly.

chickybird
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Is anyone else excited about this? I keep flicking channels to see how it's going... Sorry, I didn't mean to get too political--I'm not saying who I voted for or anything, so hopefully this post is ok.

PhotoChick
11-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I feel obsessed. :) I have the msnbc.com site open in one window ... and i'm trying not to beg my housemate to flip from Family Guy to CNN. I really am trying to show restraint. )

chickybird
11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm not really a political junkie, but I'm eager to see how this plays out...

walking2lose
11-04-2008, 10:23 PM
It's exciting!

Glory87
11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
It is exciting, I have been refreshing my browser since the polls started closing at 5:00. I'm in CA so I have local issues that I am on pins & needles over as well as the presidential election. I'll try to stay non partisan due to the board, but my heart is really beating over the CA stuff.

murphmitch
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I have been refreshing my browser since the polls started closing at 5:00.
Your polls close at 5pm? Doesn't that make it hard for people to get there early enough to vote? Ours are open until 9pm.

jtammy
11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I voted at 7:45 this morning. Walked in, voted immediately, walked right out. No wait!

Glory87
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Your polls close at 5pm? Doesn't that make it hard for people to get there early enough to vote? Ours are open until 9pm.

No, I'm in CA - our polls close at 8:00. By 5:00 pm my time, polls in other states started to close and election results started to come in. So, I've been watching national election coverage feverishly since 5:00 pm PST!

lizziep
11-05-2008, 01:56 AM
i think washington state also does mail in ballots. i believe we are the only two states.

ANOther
11-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I really don't mean to sound like an idiot here but I have a question. Is this election for like a new president? George Bush won't be your president anymore????

Yep. We limit our presidents to two terms and Bush has already been elected twice so couldn't run again