Exercise! - Cool Runners -- November thread!

View Full Version : Cool Runners -- November thread!

MBN
11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
OK, I guess I'll start it this month! :)

Did my longest run yesterday in a long while - 15 miles. The weather was nice and cool (yay, fall!) and I felt surprisingly good. My legs were feeling it, but I finished nice and strong, in a little over 2.5 hours. My first half marathon is in 2 weeks, so I'll taper down from here. Did 5 easy miles this morning ....

How about the rest of you weekend runners?

Pink Geranium
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello Everyone, I survived the 10K I did on Sunday and I'm satisfied with the results. I did it! As you may remember I have only run 5K's in a race, never a 10K, and my longest distance run ever is 9 miles - I mostly do about 6-7 miles 3x a week and then swim the other days. But for my upcoming 50th birthday I wanted to try this event.

It was a beautiful day, a bit chilly, 42 degrees, but very sunny. We started at the base of the Be Franklin Bridge in Camden, NJ, ran over it to the Philadelphia side, then back - this was about 3.1 miles. Then we went through an area they have by the river for the next 3.1 miles, including some of the city of Camden, past the battleship New Jersey, etc., and then finishing in Campbell Field, a minor league baseball stadium right against the bridge.

It was really a lot of fun, great views, lots of people (about 3,000 in the race and 1,000 walking). I felt I did well on the first half, as I run hills well and I'm used to a 5K, although I did manage to keep my pace down, with a struggle, since the excitement really can take over. I found the second half hard, even though it was very flat, and at first I was taken aback by EVERYONE passing me. But, I realized, for me this is a really long race, but for most of these people, they train for longer distances and it's actually quite short. There were a lot of half and marathoners in the crowd as I learned talking to others later! Then I settled down and just ran along best as I could. My chip time was 52:11 and I was very happy with that, I realized from looking at the clocks along the way I had actually run it pretty evenly all through it, although the last half felt so much harder.

Everyone was very happy and the atmosphere was festive, and we all got finisher medals, which I wore all day after this. I really enjoyed the event and so did my husband, who also ran it. I did like doing a longer event, but I can see that if I wanted to make it more of a regular thing I need to run longer distances in practice, maybe run more days, and I'm not sure I want to do that, so it helped me to try it and see how I liked it. I think the 5K suits me a bit better in terms of how much I think my legs can take at this stage of my life, and also leaving time for me to do my other exercise. Longer runs are for a special event for me! But anyway, I'm really glad I did it.

I did a 5K last weekend also, in a park. It was on paved roads but hilly and I may be nuts but I like hilly courses. Supposedly I did 22:22 but that's way too fast and I really don't believe that time - the event was kind of casually organized and I would not be surprised if they measured the course casually! But I figured it could not be more than 2 tenths off, so, that would come out to about a 24:00 and that would be good for me, so I was happy no matter what. Plus I did win my age group and got a little trophy, it was fun! And they had really good food afterwwards!

OK, that's my report! I have a lot of empathy now for all of you doing so many miles, having tried something longer myself, and I'm very impressed with all the marathon and half-marathon running. Not that I wasn't before but now - I had a little taste of it and the experience has made it a lot more real!

lene1974
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
MBN~ Good job on the 15 mile run. A half marathon right around the corner sounds very exciting.

Pink~ Yay on your first 10K! :carrot: It sounds like a beautiful run.

As for me, I did a 5K and sprints on Sunday. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a nice long run in.

MBN
11-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Pink -- AWESOME time on both races!!! Congratulations! If you are interested in running longer races regularly, IMO you don't need to add more running days -- just do a longer run during one of those running days (the long, slower, distance run). That long run is the key to distance training. The length depends on the race that you're training for. With only one "long run" a week, it doesn't impact your cross training that much. If you extended your long run up to 10-12 miles, then you could run a half marathon. (and they usually give out medals too!) :D

nelie
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
MBN - I'm amused by your easy 5 miles. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the point where 5 miles are easy.

Having said that, I did a little over 3 miles of walk/run intervals this morning. Up and down hills. Funny thing is it really didn't feel hard. During the last hill near the end of my workout, my legs told me that they were done so I increased the amount of walking versus running. Also I was almost home so it was a bit of a cooldown anyway.

JulieJ08
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Hello Everyone, I survived the 10K I did on Sunday and I'm satisfied with the results. I did it! As you may remember I have only run 5K's in a race, never a 10K, and my longest distance run ever is 9 miles - I mostly do about 6-7 miles 3x a week and then swim the other days. But for my upcoming 50th birthday I wanted to try this event.

When I grow up I wanna be you :). I guess in 10 years I might manage it ;).

cakses
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to run 3-4 times a week faithfully this month to see if I can improve my endurance. Monday I ran 2 miles. It wasn't easy. I am still recovering from the longest cold ever but I figured I could just slow down a little and do 2 miles without much issue. I think running is always going to be a challenge for me, but I do enjoy it. I am going to try 2 miles on Mon/Wed, then 3 on Fridays. I am not sure what to do on weekends. Maybe sprints?

Pink Geranium
11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi MBN, thanks for your encouragement. I hadn't realized that I could fit in training for the longer distance that way, thanks for the info. I am going to think about it over the winter as I see how I hold up. I do want to do a 10 mile race next May (thankfully all on a level course). So it's in my mind, this longer stuff. I just don't want to hurt myself - after all these years of sitting around not being able to do anything athletic , things now are a lot of fun and I don't want to mess it up by getting ahead of myself (a tendency I do seem to have!).

We don't have too many 10K's around here, it's easy to find a 5K every weekend but not the 10K. I am sure that's a long enough distance for me (having said that, I did sign up for an 8.4 mile run on 11/16, but it's a RUN to me, not a RACE, so I am thinking of it differently, and I'm doing it because it's a chance to try out a nice long path I haven't been able to do yet). Anyway, it gives me something to think about and try for in the future. I do like having new goals. Keeps me interested and burning calories, which is what this is all about, anyway.

On another subject, I'm wondering what everyone wears to run in the rain (in the colder weather, I mean). I've run during the summer in the rain and it didn't matter being wet, but now...it can be chilly! Any suggestions?

jenguin
11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Pink - It sounds like your 10K was a lot of fun, and I'm always amazed by your times - great job! Thanks for the race report. I don't have an answer to the running in the rain question but would love to hear anyone else's answers!

MBN - It sounds like you will be well prepared for your half. It's great to have fall weather to run/train in.

lene - did you get your long run in?

Nelie - It wasn't that long ago that even 2 miles felt hard for me so I think you certainly have the ability to eventually run an "easy 5". Of course there are days that a 5 mile run is still a hard one for me though!

cakses - if you are trying to build endurance I think just getting out there and doing it will make a difference, but it wouldn't hurt to add sprints on the weekends.

I haven't done too much running since the marathon as I have been having some issues with my left knee. I've been trying to walk and to go for a couple of short runs. I'm signed up for a cross country run the weekend before Thanksgiving so I'm hoping it is okay by then.

Happy running everyone!

cakses
11-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Ran 2.5 miles today on the TM. It was slightly killer, but there was no passing out or puking so I guess it wasn't that bad. I need to figure out what fatigues me so quickly because I slowed down my pace by over a minute and that is pretty much as slow as I can run without tripping over myself. I ran it at an 11:15ish pace - any faster and I crap out a lot sooner, any slower and I just start getting clumsy. I am trying for a complete 5k on Friday. Could have done it today with an extra push but I was already so fatigued I figured 2.5 was good enough.

JoyfulVegGirl
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi ladies. Hope it's ok if I join this group. My name is Jennifer, and I started running in March. I'm actually a member of the 3FC group at RA, but I think I heard that you guys post here instead of there?

I did my first 7 miler yesterday and I am so excited! The most I'd done before that was 5. I'm not sure what happened. It was a really rainy and cold day, but I decided to just get out there and see how long I could go, and it was a lot further than I ever thought possible. I could have pushed on to 8 miles, but I didn't want to overdo it. Went out today and did 2 miles just to shake out my legs, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this running thing?

cakses, I'm still a newbie, but the one thing that really helped me was slowing down more than I thought possible so that I could get in the mileage and run more often. It wasn't that my body or legs were tired per se, more like my breathing and heart had to catch up. So I started focusing on pushing up and almost bouncing (for lack of a better example) which sounds really weird but helped a lot. I was @ a 12:00 mm pace most of the time. Another thing I did was to add in short 20-30 second walk breaks when I felt my heart rate or breathing become erratic. It gave me a chance to catch up and keep going instead of burning myself out.

kittycat40
11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi runners. I have been following along with everyone but have been kind of boring in my running, so not too many updates.

Tomorrow I have a 12 mile run planned. Last week I did 10 miles. I was feeling sort of off, but I manged to finish the run I had planned. Then the next day I had a blinding headache and the day after that had a cough for one night followed by laryngitis and sinusitis. Now, it is one week later and I am mostly well and have kept up with my runs, kids and work, throughout.

woohoo, go me! (nobody else says it ;))

Since my mention of a May marathon I have spoken with several other runners who have done significant bodily damage with training and racing.

So, it is my current plan to go for a half marathon in January and see how things come about for May. I'm thinking another half would be pretty cool too. We'll see.

let's have some cool running in November!

kittycat40
11-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Back again!

It rained when I was running yesterday so I can answer the question about what I wear. Actually it more misted than rained. And the weather was kind of warm- low 60s/high 50s. I wore a baseball hat, tee shirt and poly long underwear top which soon came off to be tied around my waist.

OK, not much help there, sorry.

My 12 mile run felt great. I ran very carefully as there were wet leaves covering all surfaces. The funny thing about my soreness is that it has very little to do with my long run and everything to do with a 20 min power sculp video that I did the day before. Squats and lunges kicked my a$$!

Have a great SAturday everyone! :)

midwife
11-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Woohoo, go Kitty!!!

Lyria
11-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Hello!

I'm having a recovery day today but yesterday I ran a 26km (just over 16 miles) mountain running race for the first time :)

I've previously one other "mountain race" but it was only over 16kms (10 miles and the time was 1hr 25mins) and around one peak. This one was around (and up!) three.

It rained, it was muddy, it was very slippery, there were more rocks and logs than trail and some sections were so steep you almost had to crawl the trail was so vertical (I am not joking either! One section I seriously almost WAS on my knees).

But I DID it! *happy dance*

It took 3 hours on the dot which I am more than happy with given the running conditions and a knee threatening to buckle. That distance running on the road usually takes me about 2hrs 15mins give or take...but thats flat and nice and even(ish) lol.

Tomorrow I think i'll just take a nice slow jog around the suburb in the morning...loosen up all these aching muscles :P

kittycat40
11-09-2008, 08:52 AM
wow, lyria--- that's AWESOME :)

MotoMichelle
11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone. I have a question for you runners.

How many days a week do you run and for how far? I'm really starting to enjoy running but only do between 1-2 miles so far and usually only twice a week. My other workout days I do things like a stairmill.

I think I'd like to run 5 days a week and was just curious about how often you long distance runners go. My goal is to be able to eventually do 5 and 10 k's and possibly branch into sprint tri's.

nelie
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm not a long distance runner but I am in a 5k training program.

I run 4 days/week and currently i'm doing run/walks (more run than walk) for a little over 2 miles. In the next few weeks, I'm going to be building up to 3.5 miles in preparation for the 5k.

After that, I hope to enter a 10k training program (or at least follow a 10k training plan).

kittycat40
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi MotoMichelle!

At this point I am running 4 days a week. On Mondays and Wednesdays I will run to my worksite from the train station--5 miles. On Thurs or Fri I try to do a longer run (8-12--trying for more) and during the weekend I will do a 6 mile run.

When I started back in the spring I ran 4-6 days but shorter distances and more treadmill than outside. Soon, winter is upon us.... might be a change in routine coming. But I hope not. I feel a bit in a good groove. :)

hope everyone is having a cool running monday! :)

MotoMichelle
11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks Nelie and Kitty.

I think I'm going to start running 4-5 days a week. I've had this excuse in my head of "Well, I don't want to overdo it or hurt myself!" but I really think that's just an excuse or really just a bit of a mental block. :^:

nelie
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
You might want to look for a 5k training plan or 10k training plan online. From what I've read, in order to increase your mileage, you do need to do so gradually.

southofriver
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I had a rubbish week last week for running - stayed up to watch US elections, then had a couple of nights out which ruined my training plan. Sigh. But tomorrow I'm going for a seven mile run and hope to get back on track.

I'm keen to get faster after I ran ten miles in 1hr40 a couple of weeks ago. I've started trying to introduce a few very short (5-6 x 1 min) intervals of faster running into my regular 5 mile runs. It's really tiring! Any tips for how to improve my speed?

Happy running everyone (in the wind, rain, dark and cold ...).

kittycat40
11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Woohoo, go Kitty!!!

in our next lives let's be neighbors and practice together :)

kittycat40
11-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm keen to get faster after I ran ten miles in 1hr40 a couple of weeks ago. I've started trying to introduce a few very short (5-6 x 1 min) intervals of faster running into my regular 5 mile runs. It's really tiring! Any tips for how to improve my speed?

Happy running everyone (in the wind, rain, dark and cold ...).

ok, so that's 10 min miles- right? that's my goal ;)

midwife
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
in our next lives let's be neighbors and practice together :)

Sounds great!

MBN
11-11-2008, 05:56 AM
MotoMichelle -- I've been running for a while, and I'm training for half-marathon distance races. So, I run usually 4 days per week. 3 days are around 5 mile distance, and the 4th day is the "long run" for distance training, of anywhere from 9-15 miles depending on where I am in my training cycle. I use the other days for cross training, stretching, weight training, etc. The rule of thumb is not to extend your distance by more than 10% per week. This gives your legs a chance to adapt to the new stresses gradually. Ramping up mileage too quickly is the most common cause for injury. Just my 2 cents!

Southofriver -- the way to get faster is to run faster -- speed intervals. You are on the right track. If you look at runnersworld.com, they have quite a few different suggestions about how to do speed work. I find a lot of that confusing, personally, so I usually just do 5 minute sprint intervals on the treadmill, it's easier for me to keep track of! I'll warm up for 15 minutes at an easy pace, then do 5 minutes at a faster pace, 5 minutes recovery, repeat several times. You can pick shorter speed intervals, longer recovery, whatever works. Gradually you will be able increase your faster "pace", extend the intervals, do more repeats, etc. I also find that doing 5K races makes me faster, because it is one long speed workout! Increasing speed takes time, so be patient. The more intense your speed workout, the shorter it should be too. You should feel tired when you're done, but not completely wiped out. Hope that helps!!

MotoMichelle
11-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Nelie - I will look into some training programs. Thanks. :)

MotoMichelle -- I've been running for a while, and I'm training for half-marathon distance races. So, I run usually 4 days per week. 3 days are around 5 mile distance, and the 4th day is the "long run" for distance training, of anywhere from 9-15 miles depending on where I am in my training cycle. I use the other days for cross training, stretching, weight training, etc. The rule of thumb is not to extend your distance by more than 10% per week. This gives your legs a chance to adapt to the new stresses gradually. Ramping up mileage too quickly is the most common cause for injury. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks, that makes sense. It's been a slow progress so far for me. Got to 1 mile a little over a month or so ago and every 2-3 weeks have bumped up another 1/2 mile. Just hit the 2 mile mark last week.

cakses
11-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

I finally...FINALLY ran a complete 5k. No stopping, no walking, just running. For me this was the hardest distance to attain. I am hoping now that I have done it once, I can keep my runs near this 5k distance and eventually add in more in a month or so.

I ran the 5k in about 34 minutes - I wasn't officially keeping time since I wasn't sure if I would get tired and just do my usual 2-2.5 miles. So I sort of gauged my pace and ended up at 34 minutes. So I guess that is decent for a first try.

MotoMichelle
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Congrats Cakses! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

kittycat40
11-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

I finally...FINALLY ran a complete 5k. No stopping, no walking, just running. For me this was the hardest distance to attain. I am hoping now that I have done it once, I can keep my runs near this 5k distance and eventually add in more in a month or so.

I ran the 5k in about 34 minutes - I wasn't officially keeping time since I wasn't sure if I would get tired and just do my usual 2-2.5 miles. So I sort of gauged my pace and ended up at 34 minutes. So I guess that is decent for a first try.

rock and roll!! :)

JulieJ08
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Decent run today. I should call it good, but it's too much hard work to use that word ;) But I did somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75 miles, and didn't have any knee problem, whereas Monday I had a lot.

Plus, I wore my new capris (too cold for shorts now) - I got two (Danskin) for $3.60 each! Size medium! Maybe not *exactly* what I wanted, but for that price, while my size is still changing, it was great. Here's hoping by the time the weather gets warm enough next year, my shorts will be too big ;).

cakses
11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Ran 2 miles today then did some intervals for 20 minutes after that. Feeling a bit better about my running. Maybe I have actually gained some endurance!

nelie
11-13-2008, 10:44 AM
So this is my last week of walk intervals intermixed with my run. I have to admit I'm scared. I've come a long way though from just 5 weeks ago where I was running 1 minute at a time.

It was cold, drizzly and dark this morning but I ran! I had to force myself because last night was my running group and I stayed up a little too late after getting home late.

Tomorrow, my physical therapist is going to do some treadmill work with me to help work on my form. Then Saturday is my long run day with my last walk intervals. Did I mention I'm nervous? I am.

MBN
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Nelie -- eliminating walk intervals is a worthy goal, and you very close to achieving that! But ... so what if you do still throw in a walk interval from time to time? So much depends on the day -- the weather, how you feel, how much sleep you had, how hard you worked out the day before, how you've been fueling, etc. What I think is most important is that you are OUT there, moving, consistently getting in the distance/time. Walking/jogging or a combination, it's all calories burned. I did the run/walk thing for YEARS before I progressed to running only. And I still walk to get a drink, because I'm not coordinated enough to drink and run at the same time!! So, maybe you're putting too much pressure on yourself? Just a thought!

I did a couple of 5 milers this week, and now am in "taper mode" for a half marathon on Sunday. My last half was last February, so I'm hoping for a new PR? Maybe? We'll see!

Stephanie Osborne
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks ladies! I am following the c25k and was going to run on my off day even though tha plan doesn't call for it. I came on here and you ladies told me you wouldnt recommend it. Said that keeping to the schedule would keep me excited... WELL I couldnt run last night and now I am dying to run tonight. Awesome, thanks for the great advice!

JulieJ08
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
So this is my last week of walk intervals intermixed with my run. I have to admit I'm scared. I've come a long way though from just 5 weeks ago where I was running 1 minute at a time.
Then Saturday is my long run day with my last walk intervals. Did I mention I'm nervous? I am.

Don't be nervous ... Anticipate! Running without walking breaks is sometimes challenging, but it also feels amazing. :D

kittycat40
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Nelie, you can go as slowly or quickly as you want, right?? I think sometimes I would walk FASTER than I am running....

you go girl :)

nelie
11-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the support guys. My training plan for Monday says run 2 miles, walk as needed so yeah I know I can walk if I need to. I can also 'run' as slowly as I want so if I need to shuffle, I can.

JulieJ08
11-14-2008, 10:33 AM
About 2.75 miles again today. But no knee trouble, yay!

JamieJo
11-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Julie - You really are one of my inspirations on this web site!!!

JulieJ08
11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Julie - You really are one of my inspirations on this web site!!!

Awww, thanks. That feels good :hug:.

Stick around here ... You're a runner!

kittycat40
11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi guys,

Nelie, I do the shuffle far more often than I should, I'm afraid. It's funny you should use that word b/c I have been trying to come up with a descriptive noun for the way I move around when running. That kinda works ;)

This has been on my mind lately. Last week I was doing my run from the train station to work. I do this with an 8-12 pound backpack on. (I weighed it and myself this week) If the backpack feels burdensome I put no pressure on myself to move at any pace other than bare bones movement towards my final goal.

I was trudging along and this highly perky runner passed me (w/o acknowleging me-- rude- even for nyc) in the opposite direction, finished the block, turned around and passed me again in the same direction I was headed. So I had an opportunity to watch her legs as she ran along. What I noticed was that her heels popped up, almost hitting her calves as she ran. (I told you she was perky)

So I tried it and hot-damm, I was suddenly running faster. And I was so bouncy too. Then I went back to my standard trudge style/shuffle.

I tried it again today-- no pack, but a run where I had a side stitch for the first 2ish miles, no joke. I bounced after the pain finally went away. Certainly, I was bouncy. But to tell you the truth it didn't feel like proper form, necessarily.

thoughts??

kittycat40
11-15-2008, 04:52 PM
After my run today I realize it is a matter of raising my knees, not my heels. That felt much more reasonable.

think it's time did some reading on running and form?? cool running.com here I come :):):)

MBN
11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Yesterday I participated in the inaugural “131 Marathon” of Ft. Lauderdale. Typically, half marathons are offered along with full marathon events, but this is a new “half only” series, offered by the same company who does marathons in Miami, Chicago and Atlanta. For a brand new race, it was well-attended, with around 1400 participants. Below is the lengthy blow-by- blow account …. Fair warning!

It was a dark and blustery pre-dawn morning. A cold front was moving through and although there was blessedly no rain, it was quite cool in the mid-60’s and the north wind was gusty-freezing. Well, freezing for this thin-blooded South Florida girl! I arrived customarily early, to assure a good parking spot, then had a good hour to cool my heels (literally), waiting for the race to start. I found a spot out of the wind, and delayed checking my gear bag as long as I could – I didn’t want to give up my warm shirt. Finally, I checked in the bag and pulled on a plastic garbage bag – and it IS amazing how much thermal protection a baggie can provide! Moving to the corral, I selected my spot according to anticipated pace (I was shooting for 9:30 minute miles) and tried to keep from shivering. At least the bodies around me provided some wind protection! This is where it pays to be short. :) Finally … the national anthem … the leaders took off …the pack moved forward … I crossed the start line with mingled excitement and relief to be finally moving … and we were off!

I started out too fast, of course. The course took us through the tunnel under the New River. A live music group was strategically stationed at the mouth of the tunnel and the driving beat and jazzy sax pulled me up the tunnel’s steep slope and spit me back out onto the road. We turned toward the ocean and headed over the bridge toward A1A. I had slowed the pace down to a bit more comfortable level, and was now warmed up and feeling great. Now I found myself looking around, enjoying the view, and feeling as if I could run forever! The sunrise over the ocean was beautiful, and the formerly-frigid wind now seemed bracing and a welcome coolness to overheated bodies.

This is what brings me back to racing over and over. It’s this magical time during the race of feeling completely in the moment … just experiencing all of the runners around you, the surroundings, the feeling of happy exertion, accompanied by a sense of overwhelming gratitude to be ABLE .. able to be there, able to run freely, to breathe the brisk sea air and be alive. I feel so enormously blessed, and I hope that I NEVER take it for granted.

The course was sprinkled with a few bands and DJ’s and scattered cheering spectators. It’s amazing how motivating a bystander can be … just to have them say “You’re looking great!”, or “Keep it going!” I know they don’t know me from Adam, but it is motivating all the same to have someone tell me I’m doing an awesome job! I just LOVE that! :D I was also entertained by the other runners … I would shamelessly eavesdrop on snatches of conversation, occasionally tossing in my own unsolicited editorial comments. Then there was the one girl who was singing at the top of her lungs to the iPod that only she could hear ….

I had settled into my target pace and amidst the distractions, the miles were steadily ticking away … 6 …7 …8… We hit the turnaround point on A1A and entered the home stretch. 9 … 10 …. 11 … Now it was getting harder, as it always does. But, I felt strong and going into the last mile, picked up the pace just a bit. My legs were feeling the strain, but I could see the end in sight … at the last .1 mile, I kicked with all I had … and suddenly was through the gate and it was over! A water bottle was thrust into my hand and a finisher’s medal placed around my neck as I wandered through the finisher’s chute, slightly stunned (as always) by the abrupt end to the race.

I grabbed an orange slice and half banana from the food spread and wandered away looking for the gear pick up. I was still sweating, but knew I’d be wanting my layers in very short order! I found the gear bus, and retrieved my bag with no wait at all, and pulled on my now-welcome sweats. There was also a pancake tent, and well, I don’t pass up pancakes! I headed toward the shuttle, which bused us back to the start line parking area, and headed home.

Oh … my time? I guess that’s important too! ;) I finished in 2:01:46, an average pace of 9:20 min/mile, which beat my previous record by more than 6 minutes! I was pleased. :D

Happy running -- I hope you all have a great week!

MotoMichelle
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
MBN - Very cool! Congrats on your race!

As someone who aspires to do races one day, your account was very interesting and motivating! Thank you. :D

kittycat40
11-17-2008, 01:49 PM
MBN-- shooting for 9:30 and acheived 9:20 woohoo! :)

nelie
11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
MBN - Congrats on the race!

So you guys know how anxious I was about running without planned walk breaks? Uhh... I did it. I did it very slowly but I did it. It was also freezing cold :) Next run is Wednesday night with the group which tends to run a bit faster than I do at home but it'll be the same, run 2 miles.

JulieJ08
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
By the time I actually run a real race, I'm gonna feel like I've already been a bunch!

MotoMichelle
11-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Congrats, Nelie! :carrot:

SarahD
11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would drop in. I'm new but training for a half marathon... only 8 weeks away so its crunch time. All of your tips have been awesome, everyone keep up all the hard work!

MBN
11-18-2008, 02:53 PM
SarahD - welcome! Keep us posted on your progress!!

Nelie - Nicely done!

SarahD
11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks I will.
I was training for one last year and two weeks before the race I hurt my knee :o(
So I am keeping my fingers crossed this time around!

Mrs Snark
11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Congrats on the new PR MBN, that's awesome!

I did 12.57 miles on the race course this past Sunday, so I consider myself well prepared for the half marathon on November 30th. I hope I get cool weather and low wind for the race!

MotoMichelle
11-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Good luck at your race, Josephine!

I ran 2 miles yesterday and felt pretty good! Being still new to running 2 miles is the farthest I've gone so far. Breathing and heart-wise I feel like I could do more, but my legs start to get heavy and I start to feel it in my knees around the 2 mile mark, so I'm trying to build up slowly.

JulieJ08
11-19-2008, 10:06 AM
My usual 2.75 miles this morning. Not quite as lovely as Monday, but much better than a couple weeks ago.

Pink Geranium
11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone, I ran my 8.4 mile race on Sunday AM (the odd mileage is because it goes down one side of the Schuylkill River, crosses a bridge, and returns on the other side). I think it turned out pretty well. I tried to run it at a pace where I was working hard but breathing relatively easily. I have been having a lot of trouble with asthma lately and I really didn't want to have to give up, so that influenced me too. Plus, the longest run I've ever done is 9 miles, so this was a stretch for me. All this being said, I was really happy with it - I was able to run hard the whole way and keep a pretty even pace, and no asthma issues. My time was 1 hour 12 minutes.08, and I had hoped to do about 1 hour 15 minutes, so that was good. My husband did not run but instead took pictures and held up a sign to encourage me at the last 1/4 miles. It worked, I did run a bit faster. The weather was very chilly, about 42, and a 35 mile an hour gusty wind, but that didn't bother me too much, although some people were taken aback by it.

Two men who passed me at about the 2nd mile said as they passed, that they should know better than to get behind a skinny chick to try to stay out of the wind. I realized they meant me. Made me laugh! It was just great since I certainly would have provided plenty of shelter in the past, I know!

I'm really glad I did this race and it encourages me to try some more 10K's next year. Very different from the 5K's I'm used to. I like the variety.

Now I'm looking forward to a 5K in our town on Thanksgiving. My husband will run as will several friends from the gym, so that will be nice, and my son will be home from college and can watch the "stadium finish"!

kittycat40
11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Sounds great Pink! :)

cakses
11-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Been sick so I took a week off. Ran yesterday for 1.5 miles and felt alright but got tired early. Going to try again tomorrow and see how far I can get. Sickness really takes a lot out of you. Hopefully I can do better next week and in December as well.

MotoMichelle
11-24-2008, 11:03 AM
After my workout yesterday I felt inspired on the way home to stop at the park and try my first outdoor mile. (I always run on the treadmill.)

I completed it without too much trouble! I've had a bit of a mental block when it comes to running off the treadmill so I'm glad I overcame that some.

Pink - Congrats on your race! What an awesome compliment you received. :D

nelie
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm sick and it sucks. I missed 2 runs, did a run on saturday which totally sucked. I'm feeling sick again. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do the 5k I wanted to do as its less than 2 weeks from now and my longest run has been 2 miles.

kittycat40
11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm sick and it sucks. I missed 2 runs, did a run on saturday which totally sucked. I'm feeling sick again. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do the 5k I wanted to do as its less than 2 weeks from now and my longest run has been 2 miles.

:hug: get well soon, nelie!

JulieJ08
11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I ran my usual 2.75 today. I think my body has finally adjusted to this! I was feeling kinda stuck for a while. It will be time to increase to 5K every time after Thanksgiving :D :carrot:

I normally run M-W-F, and I want to run EZMoney's 5K Thanksgiving morning, so if I had been thinking ahead, I would have run Sun-Tues-Thur this week instead. But I didn't think ahead. So I have to choose between running M-W-Th-F, or M-Tu-Th, or M-Th-Sa. Probably it just doesn't matter, but I haven't run any days in a row so far. So probably I'll just do a short run/walk Wednesday so I'll be in good shape for Thanksgiving morning.

MBN
11-25-2008, 05:48 AM

I'm so sorry you've been sick! :hug:
But ... if you are feeling well the day of the 5K, why not participate in the event anyway and just plan to walk half of it? It's so much fun to be part of an event, and there's NO law that says you have to run all of the way ... heck lots and lots of people just walk them and don't run at all. If running the whole way is your goal, then you'll certainly make it at some point, but don't deprive yourself of the 5K fun along the way. You may find that you do better than you think!

Just a thought ....

nelie
11-25-2008, 10:15 AM
MBN - I was thinking that I had to finish the 5k within a certain amount of time. I didn't know people walked the entire thing or walked even a good portion of it.

I am feeling a bit better. I did my elliptical last night. Tomorrow is my running class and I do expect to go although I have a lot to prep for Thanksgiving including shopping tonight!

MBN
11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
MBN - I was thinking that I had to finish the 5k within a certain amount of time. I didn't know people walked the entire thing or walked even a good portion of it.

You might want to check the rules on your planned 5K, just to make sure there's no time limit. But, in my experience, 5Ks are very walker-friendly and attract a quite a few people who simply walk the course. And many, many more walk some portion of the course. Most 5K events are for charity, and they are looking for participation at any level. You will certainly have your bunny rabbits that take off and run 5-6 minute miles -- they will win awards. But the rest of us mortals go slower (some MUCH slower) and just have fun with it. IMO, the "back of the pack-ers" are more fun anyway! It doesn't matter how slow you go, you will still get the T-shirt! :D

My next event is a Jingle Bell Jog on Dec 6. Everyone gets a jingle bell to wear on their shoe, we sound like a giant herd of reindeer. People dress in costume, it's great fun. Last year, nearly 1000 people did the event, and I would guess that a couple of hundred simply walked it. Finishing times ranged from 15 minutes to over an hour.

So, don't hesitate to go out and do it anyway, if you run at all, it is very unlikely that you'll be last! ;)

nelie
11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
MBN - That is what it is! a jingle bell jog and on Dec 6. I feel better now :)

MBN
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
MBN - That is what it is! a jingle bell jog and on Dec 6. I feel better now :)

Nelie, how did your 5K go?

nelie
12-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I suppose we should start a December thread but...

I am injured and I actually don't mind too much. Basically, my calf started hurting within the first half mile of the race. Of course I should take a step back and say that on one of my 2 mile runs, my calf started hurting after 1.5 miles so I switched to doing the elliptical in preparation for the 5k. I was hoping my calf had 'healed' or did whatever it need to do but it didn't.

I walked and ran the race, finishing in 43 minutes. After the race and after what I presume the adrenaline left my body, my calf basically became stone and very painful. I could barely walk on Saturday after the 5k, Sunday was a bit better, yesterday a lot better and today similar to yesterday. I went to my physical therapist yesterday and he helped but I know it may take time to heal.

I had so much fun at the 5k though and we are planning another one in April and possibly the 10k in April.

MBN
12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm glad you had fun with the 5K, but I'm sorry you are injured!! Hopefully the physical therapy can get you all fixed up so that you can do one without pain next time.

My jingle bell jog 5K was fun -- nearly 1000 runners, lots of folks in costume, everyone jingling along with the free jingle bells on our shoes. It was crowded and I was recovering from a cold, so I didn't PR, but did respectably well. My DS (14 yr) ran it, and he had problems too ... he had twisted his ankle the day before while playing football and it flared up about a mile into the run. I passed him at about a mile (and 8.5 minutes in), and he didn't cross the finish line (limping in) until about 48 minutes. I was worried!! But he's fine now, just disappointed in his performance. We've got another 5K planned over the holidays, so he can try again.

I guess we should start a Dec thread ....